test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Clash of the fists!!! All melee Tourney!!

Comments

• sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    Ew, at all? Even CC related ranged abilities? That's not going to be pretty for non MA users.

Still have lunges.

Just means no Geyser/Hurl/Ego Sleep/etc. It'd be more of a problem if everyone weren't limited to just melee attacks. But I'm basing that on my experiences in PvP from when last I PvP'ed, so...I may be completely wrong.

I do foresee a lot of judge-decided matches though.

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.

Just means no Geyser/Hurl/Ego Sleep/etc. It'd be more of a problem if everyone weren't limited to just melee attacks. But I'm basing that on my experiences in PvP from when last I PvP'ed, so...I may be completely wrong.

Yeah, maybe. But not every set is as complete as MA or HW, and I'm sure a couple of people would like to go Might, or Bestial.
    I do foresee a lot of judge-decided matches though.

AoPM CON or LR CON.

• bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    its not that hard to substitute those CC's just been awhile since the community has been pro melee. Lets see just to name a few ideas off the top of my head for interrupts stuns etc...brute strike,back hand chop,dragon kick,crashing wave kick, uppercut with the adv, inexorable ides with adv, lunge with adv....list goes on just have to think outside the current box think more back to the melee pass days.
  • xeirosxeiros Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah for melee Stuns you've got

1. Mighty Leap
    2. Void Shift
    3. Roomsweeper with Concussive Blow
    4. Uppercut with Head Trauma on a Charge attempt
    5. Thunderclap
    6. Thunderbolt Lunge with Essence Assault < -- Unaffected by role
    7. Crashing Wave Kick
    8. Brute Strike
    9. Dragon Kick
    10. Bullet Beatdown

For melee Roots you can choose from

1. Devour Essence with Phlebotomist
    2. Lightwave Dash
    3. Thunderbolt Lunge
    4. Decimate with Restraining Order
    5. Ego Blade Dash
    6. Inexorable Tides with Instep Crush
    7. Ego Blade Frenzy with Unnerving Rage
    8. Bullet Beatdown
    9. Storm's Harvest

For Melee Snares there are:

1. Every Lunge
    2. Devour Essence
    3. Howl with Make Them Tremble <--- not sure if this will be allowed since it's a 25 foot sphere
    edited December 2012
    bloodx13 wrote: »
    its not that hard to substitute those CC's just been awhile since the community has been pro melee. Lets see just to name a few ideas off the top of my head for interrupts stuns etc...brute strike,back hand chop,dragon kick,crashing wave kick, uppercut with the adv, inexorable ides with adv, lunge with adv....list goes on just have to think outside the current box think more back to the melee pass days.

Most of the ones you listed are in MA or Heavy Weapons, but a lot of 'em are either low-tier or somewhat concept neutral.

There's also Thunderclap, partial-charge Havoc Stomp, Massacre's Knockdown, etc

The potential problem children in the melee sets are:

- Soul Mesmerism
    - Ego Choke
    - Ego Hold
    - TK Maelstrom
    - TK Wave
    - Hurl
    - Iron Chain
    - Iron Lariat
    - Iron Cyclone
    - Shockwave
    - Earthsplitter

Do you want this to be a "melee set" tournament, a "looks like melee or hand-held weapons" tournament, a "see who can hold and spike down first" tournament, or some combination thereof?

What I would suggest is a mixture of the above:

- If a power has more than 10 ft (melee) range, it has to have a cooldown. (So no Two Gun Mojo or...uh. Fire Strike?)

- No power can have greater than lunge range (so no Force Geyser, no Ebon Ruin, no Force Cascade, no Defile, etc)

- Any power that inflicts a hold has to come from a set with at least one melee-tagged power. (So no Ego Storm, no Heatwave, no Ego Sleep, etc)

- Specific powers are disallowed, though they may be allowed by the ruleset thus far. (I'd suggest TK Wave, Hurl, Earth Splitter, Iron Chain and Lash)

This means you can't, for example, have someone who goes in and spams Iron Chain/Lash as their main attack (not that you would), but that if someone wants to use a hold or Iron Lariat, they can.

This equalizes things a bit between the more robust melee sets (Unarmed, HW) and the less varied ones (Bestial, TK to a certain extent). This also enables pull-to powers, if anyone was crazy enough to want to use one.

There are a couple of problems with this, though. Shockwave and TK Maelstrom are both very good at what they do, so pretty much everyone will take them. TK Wave sneaks in by the back door, but is a ranged damage spike with a potentially devastating debuff attached.

Personally, I'd disallow TK Wave, Iron Chain, Lash, Hurl and Earth Splitter. Allow Shockwave. Everything else follows the rules I set out above.

TK Wave's debuff has the potential to be devastating. The rest have the potential to either allow a 50-ft ranged damage build (sucky though it may be in damage output), or will enable ranged travel removal/knock spam at a click. I allow Shockwave because the travel comes at the end of a full maintain.

TK Maelstrom, Soul Mez, Ego Hold, Ego Choke and other ranged holds would be allowed under this.

Allowing TK Maelstrom, Shockwave and ranged holds means people would be foolish not to use them, but removing them means Bestial/Might/Laser Sword/other builds have to raid Unarmed and Heavy Weapons for their control tools. Up to you which you'd prefer.

Just a thought. The melee I want to use in this is only level 21, and I don't want to retcon my primary melee just for one tourney. So I probably won't be competing.

• kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,170 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    If you permit any ranged abilities it will be exploited and this tournament will very quickly be turned away from it's intended melee fighting style.

Take a deep breath and let go of that handicap. You don't need ranged powers to have a functional fight.
    I've played a few melee only duels for practice and it was the first time in forever I've enjoyed CO PvP.
    edited December 2012
    kaizerin wrote: »
    If you permit any ranged abilities it will be exploited and this tournament will very quickly be turned away from it's intended melee fighting style.

Take a deep breath and let go of that handicap. You don't need ranged powers to have a functional fight.
    I've played a few melee only duels for practice and it was the first time in forever I've enjoyed CO PvP.

For the record, I like this suggestion. The only reason my above suggestion is so convoluted is because I figured someone was going to try to push for allowing chains, Shockwave or some of the holds in Supernatural/TK.

Besides the logistics problem with retcons and such (which could be alleviated by holding the tournament on PTS...), I almost think it might be interesting to hold an even stricter version of the "melee only" tournament.

Meaning no lunges, and nothing with more than 10ft range. It'd be...interesting.

Which would mean that noone will die as pretty much everyone uses Versatility. Unless you also want to disable TP's.

Anyways, ranged controls may, or may not destroy the build variety, but removing that will surely reduce it, turning fights into a LR + Dragon Uppercut war.

• wufflechanwufflechan Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You all are over thinking this way too much. Learn to pvp without having to rely on imbalanced ranged powers, it's -really- easy, and -really- fun.
    edited December 2012
    wufflechan wrote: »
    You all are over thinking this way too much. Learn to pvp without having to rely on imbalanced ranged powers, it's -really- easy, and -really- fun.

It's a problem of definition. People don't entirely agree on what's "ranged" and what's "melee". And others don't agree on what's "imbalanced" or not.

And still others argue that if you're going to have a "melee-only" tournament that also has at least some diversity of builds, you need to tweak your definitions of "ranged", "melee" and "imbalanced".

Of course, just saying "learn to PvP without having to rely on imbalanced ranged powers" is a hell of a lot quicker and simpler. But it doesn't get any closer to a coherent ruleset that doesn't imbalance your tournament.

I'm going to pretend you already knew that and were just trying to be funny.

Edit: Yeah, I'm going to retcon to be in this afterall. More I think about it, the more fun it sounds.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not all of us are "overthinking." Some of us are just being silly.
    It's a problem of definition. People don't entirely agree on what's "ranged" and what's "melee". And others don't agree on what's "imbalanced" or not...

Yeah, I'd hardly listen to him about thinking, or balance. We'll see if he's as good as he thinks he is on Friday.
    edited December 2012
    Not all of us are "overthinking." Some of us are just being silly.

Yeah, I'd hardly listen to him about thinking, or balance. We'll see if he's as good as he thinks he is on Friday.

I don't know what your problem is towards me, as I have no idea who you are, and I never claimed to be good at anything, and I simply have no interest to put any serious effort into this current meta of pvp. So who are you again?

As for rules, they aren't hard to understand, unless you're the type of person who tries to bend everything to get every possible advantage. The only legit confusion has been on holds, but I think that's been cleared up too.

It's just a fun melee pvp tournament, people need to stop taking it so serious.
  • mainscrizzmainscrizz Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't know what your problem is towards me, as I have no idea who you are, and I never claimed to be good at anything, and I simply have no interest to put any serious effort into this current meta of pvp. So who are you again?

As for rules, they aren't hard to understand, unless you're the type of person who tries to bend everything to get every possible advantage. The only legit confusion has been on holds, but I think that's been cleared up too.

It's just a fun melee pvp tournament, people need to stop taking it so serious.

lolumad?

:tongue:
    Dont forget to send an in game mail if your competing composed of what toon your competing on and handle etc.. the basics!!! It will help me organize things more.
    edited December 2012
    mainscrizz wrote: »
    lolumad?

:tongue:

Iain'tevensurprised.jpg :cool:
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    xD you beat me to it.
    edited December 2012
    Iain'tevensurprised.jpg :cool:

I'm going to "bend" your neck when I'm done with you.

foolish_mortal.dll Your soul is mine!
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm going to "bend" your neck when I'm done with you.

foolish_mortal.dll Your soul is mine!

Yaaaaaaawn.

• oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Good luck with that one, lucyinspace is a butthurt forum troll, nothing more.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have a pure-melee toon (Miss Valor) whom would be perfect for this tourney. I'd expect to get my butt handed to me but I'm still interested in participating and have fun :smile:
    edited December 2012
    I guess I'm signed up. Sort of. =P
    Yaaaaaaawn.

cool story, bro

First prove that you can hurt a butt, then maybe you can use made-up words like "butt hurt." :)

We'll see how things go without the comfort of your leashed rage, farce geyser, and other "elite pvp" powers.

I'm going to enjoy watching you die, n00bware. xD Funny how he can talk trash about people who watched him die one day then stood right next to him another day cause he gave up trying.

Malwarebytes :P
    edited December 2012
    First prove that you can hurt a butt, then maybe you can use made-up words like "butt hurt."

Two words: Anal Penetration.
    We'll see how things go without the comfort of your unleashed rage, farce geyser, and other "elite pvp" powers.

Talking out your gape again? And regarding a melee tournament, UR -is- a melee attack. Nothing elite to it.
    edited December 2012
    Yes, because feet and fists deal sonic damage. I prefer armor penetration. Oh, and thanks for buying my Penetration Core 5 last month. I guess I know now how you use it. x_x

I has a shuvel.

To hit me, you must move to me. Your attack gives me an opportunity to stand there and hit you with my shuvel. :D

No, seriously, it'll be fun fighting with no tricks or gimmicks. Enjoy it while it lasts! ^_^
    edited December 2012
    UR is not being tolerated. While it's understandable, many will lack the means to properly defeat highly protected players.

• smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    UR is not being tolerated. While it's understandable, many will lack the means to properly defeat highly protected players.

This seems like it might be a problem in general... but it shall be seen!

edited December 2012
    Dont forget to mail me in game about what toon you are joining with so i can organize everything before hand!! thanks ahead of time!!
    edited December 2012
    In all seriousness, I think one of the previous posters was right... I think we're going to see a lot of similarities and a lot of ties. heheh
    edited December 2012
    I'm pretty sure I know who Lucy is in game. More info if I get it though, but I'm like 75% sure, everything just seems to fit.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To all you duelists who are entering the competition!

I'm going to save my self utter humiliation and allow the professionals to get on with it :redface:
    edited December 2012
    heh Two months just to get to 75%. I'm speechless. I see why you think I'm hiding. Same reason why a policeman is "hiding" from a thief.
    edited December 2012
    I don't think anything. You -are- hiding lol. That is a fact, and it didn't take two months? lmao I'm sorry to check you with reality but I don't care enough to actually find out who you are with any serious effort. It was just what you posted that made me think of something is all, so please get over yourself.

Of course you could just state your @handle like.....ya know....everyone else does lol. Anyways chao~
    edited December 2012
    1st : Green
    2nd : Ikkou
    3rd : Spetz

Honestly the tourney in general was ok, but least Green and I got to really kick it up for the finals. Was good to let loose. Hats off ya to green sir.
    edited December 2012
    Winners are

1st: Green Mean Slimey Sniping Machine

2nd: Ikkou

3rd: Firework

Thanks all for coming and supporting !!!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ty for fun, GG! :D
    edited December 2012
    It always takes the blatantly obvious to slap some of these people in the face. A trail of breadcrumbs isn't enough. No, that's not it, I'm HIDING!

Anyway gg to all... I realized I wasn't even registered. lol I was falling asleep anyway... too late for me. :) Nice to see green still has a handle on things. ^_~

I'll kill ya later. ^_^
    edited December 2012
    Green actually wasn't even supposed to face me. He lost earlier in the tourney. I was the only undefeated player so no one was even left in my bracket. I just didn't care because I wanted to face green, and it was a close match, and both green and I got to actually duel going all out instead of having restrictions. Either way I had fun fighting him which is all I care about. I'd rather reserve the rest of my opinions on the tournament though.

Btw Honey@katasyntax, it's convenient that you didn't register, you're like any other standard troll, you hide behind words and anonymity, but when it's time to put up you're nowhere to be found as usual lol.
    edited December 2012
    I don't know what to think of the way the tourny happened, sounded like a huge dice roll party at some point. Some fights just didn't deserve to be at certain brackets. Whoever had the best DU knockspam to get in control had the wins. Evasive Maneuvers turned out to be retarded in there. I got to thank Waffle and Green for being there. Anyways, Green and Wuffle saved the day.

Today I found out that my worst ennemy was my own STR. I hate you guys, with a burning passion, forever.

edited December 2012
    I don't know what to think of the way the tourny happened, sounded like a huge dice roll party at some point. Some fights just didn't deserve to be at certain brackets. Whoever had the best DU knockspam to get in control had the wins. Evasive Maneuvers turned out to be retarded in there.

Today I found out that my worst ennemy was my own STR. I hate you guys, with a burning passion, forever.

The matches were completely random:

2 wins and moves on and 3 wins and moves on meaning

is next match etc.. just went top to bottom like that in brackets started one large bracket then winners losers etc.. till the end...

To fix any human errors a SG mate is writing a program for the next tourney so its all automated and random. I encourage all those with issue to organize their own tournaments, the more the merrier right. The community could use more and with different people we get idff concepts etc.. so it makes it more fun.
    edited December 2012
    As you can see (hopefully) I never cared who knows my handle and who doesn't. I just didn't care to do everything at your beckon call. Everyone eventually knew who I was, except the forum fighters who never really play much.

...and I don't care about the glory of defeating you; there is none since green did it anyway. lol It's so fascinating watching your "logic" at work. I'll fight green later. I like playing him. He's much more chilled out and he is a creative and effective builder. He's one of the better players that I find to be more reasonable and respectable, and he and I come up with a lot of similar ideas at about the same time and independently, except unlike malware he doesn't cry a river. (scan completed!) but I've been wrong before. x_x

Plus he gets bonus points for killing you so I don't have to. :) Weeks and weeks just for 75% certainty (supposedly). I bet he wouldn't tell me if I'm not who he was thinking about. You needed help; I'm glad I still had that macro. I'll send you the bill later. :P

I find it rather amusing that you act like typing my name here is some kind of "shock." hehe... and just so you don't think I'm all about hating you, you did teach me one thing... hopefully after I kill you, someday you'll realize on your own what it is. xD
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As you can see (hopefully) I never cared who knows my handle and who doesn't. I just didn't care to do everything at your beckon call. Everyone eventually knew who I was, except the forum fighters who never really play much.

...and I don't care about the glory of defeating you; there is none since green did it anyway. lol It's so fascinating watching your "logic" at work. I'll fight green later. I like playing him. He's much more chilled out and he is a creative and effective builder. He's one of the better players that I find to be more reasonable and respectable, and he and I come up with a lot of similar ideas at about the same time and independently, except unlike malware he doesn't cry a river. (scan completed!) but I've been wrong before. x_x

Plus he gets bonus points for killing you so I don't have to. :) Weeks and weeks just for 75% certainty (supposedly). I bet he wouldn't tell me if I'm not who he was thinking about. You needed help; I'm glad I still had that macro. I'll send you the bill later. :P

I find it rather amusing that you act like typing my name here is some kind of "shock." hehe... and just so you don't think I'm all about hating you, you did teach me one thing... hopefully after I kill you, someday you'll realize on your own what it is. xD

son+this+is+the+internet+nobody+cares+_2a8cd1b12c0bd7bb86f10bc1292184c3.gif

edited December 2012
    He's one of the better players that I find to be more reasonable and respectable, and he and I come up with a lot of similar ideas at about the same time and independently, except unlike malware he doesn't cry a river. (scan completed!) but I've been wrong before. x_x

Just because you mention my name every other comment you can possibly make, does not make you any more important. I know you wish you were though, person I've never dueled or seen in an HG match (name@dontgivea****.) As always suspected, you're nothing but a forum troll. Insignifi****.
    edited December 2012
    [Insert witty comeback here]
    edited December 2012
    [Insert witty comeback here]

Fitting. I'm sure you will edit this comment later when your brain has time to come up with one. I won't hold my breathe,
    edited December 2012
    Why do you troll yourself so much?
    edited December 2012
    I'm sorry I can't take the time to respond to all your stupid, lucy. The amount of retarded in that recent post is just too much. I mean you can't even read what I'm typing lol. The only two things I'll say are :

1. You have never beaten me in a duel. In fact it is the other way around, with me defeating you multiple times, with everyone in ren cen to see, and no stacking 3 AD's and like 4 heals and just rotating them out to turtle the entire match doesn't count as anything.

2. There was nothing really special about green's build. He was using DW I was using DU, everything else was more or less the same. He had the mechanics advantage with the innate penetration from DW. He also had the gear sitting at 16k hp with aopm. It really could have gone either way, just like most matches last night.
    There is no such thing as unique or undiscovered builds anymore, everyone knows all the better powers and it really just comes down to a choice of how you're using them as a player. You insult green by even mentioning him as I highly doubt he would want to be associated with someone like you.
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm confused, was anyone good enough to face Shang Tsung or not?
    edited December 2012
    Green's going to laugh when he gets to see Lucy's posts.

• storytimewitheddstorytimewithedd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Green's going to laugh when he gets to see Lucy's posts.

Only a little bit, other than that HAHAHAUAUAURGH

Why are people still replying in this thread anyway? And Why am I replying with "Why are people still replying in this thread anyway?" Mah dayum replies are useless.