Install Arc
Options

Game Breaking Bugs and PTS testing

2»

Comments

• Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll put it to you this way, the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT, an issue I've yet to see anyone disagree with- the Chat Silence Feature- Cryptic pretty much told us to go F**k ourselves. There's something fundamentally wrong there.

That's not a bug, that's a feature. :biggrin:
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll put it to you this way, the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT, an issue I've yet to see anyone disagree with- the Chat Silence Feature- Cryptic pretty much told us to go F**k ourselves. There's something fundamentally wrong there.

No...

What they said was that the chat ban feature was part of the base code and as such would be difficult to remove. They said they would see if they could change the parameters so that it would take more reports to chat ban you...

That's an explanation, not an F you...

A very religious friend once told me that God answers all prayers, but sometimes the answer is "No"...

Let's just say that, in the CO world, Cryptic is God...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    No...

What they said was that the chat ban feature was part of the base code and as such would be difficult to remove. They said they would see if they could change the parameters so that it would take more reports to chat ban you...
    I'm not one to argue when I'm wrong, but could you find me a link to this? I'd like to see that. If that's the case, then I can completely accept the solution.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    pion01 wrote: »

Ahh, see, this is the problem. We're talking about different things. Carry on then.
    I'm glad you were able to see past the typos to the message.:wink:

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    mainscrizzmainscrizz Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, from what I've gathered here:

1- ..you are having a problem,....There are bugs,......and.... a roach on your pizza. .....eat that part and it's fine.

.....you accept with a smile and come back for more.

:biggrin: LOL
    :wink::tongue:
    edited September 2012
    mainscrizz wrote: »
    :biggrin: LOL
    :wink::tongue:
    LOLOLOL...

A friend of mine was walking by when I read that out loud.
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The problem itself is two-fold.

First, a significant chunk of the playerbase is a) unable to access the test server or b) unwilling to act as testers for various reasons.
    • (A) is correctable by allowing silver accounts to access the test servers.
    • (B) is correctable only by addressing the reasons why they are unwilling to be testers.

Second, the test environment is a highly inaccurate copy of the live environment; such discrepancies mean that bugs which show up on test are not necessarily bugs on live, and that bugs which show up on live are not necessarily bugs on test. This renders the test environment rather less useful than it should be.

Both of these can be fixed. Neither of them are being visibly addressed and so the assumption is that they are not seen as problems by Cryptic. One does not devote resources to fix a problem that one does not consider a problem.
    The Level 1 bug blindsided everyone involved, no question there. The last build or two on PTS had fixes that reduced the incidence of crashes to zero. The PTS system does help, but I'm certainly doing some thinking of my own about today and how I can help avoid any repeats.

Because it needs to be said:

Master Trailturtle, you appear to have done everything that you could have done. This specific bug did not appear on the test server. If a problem does not manifest in the test environment, it cannot be reported by the testers and so cannot be fixed by y'all.

You can not fix what is not broken.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The level 1 bug is (supposedly) over and done with. I hope that it never resurfaces but it was just one of those things that happens and I think we can all live with that.

What ticks me off is the level of immediate response made to this bug puts many fire departments to shame (relatively speaking) so why can't we apply even a fraction of the same response to other issues.

For instance, several costume pieces that should be in the tailor are not. The superconductor chest for females is one, there are others. We know that the asset is in game. (You can very clearly see it on the female recognition vendor model.) And we know that it is supposed to be available to the players. It was not available from day one of its release and the relatively simple fix of adding it to the chest pieces list has not been made despite Cryptic being made aware of it... repeatedly. And this is just one of MANY issues (maybe not the most important or game-breaking) that have not been addressed. I chose to list that particular issue since the fix for it should (comparatively speaking) be relatively simple. But even the simple fixes are being ignored.

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Guys, let's stop the "Should you test or not test" fight, okay?

If you've decided not to test because of whatever reason, that's fine. Don't push those reasons on other people. This thread was to inform players that less bugs happen when more people test. And it's true. Whatever happened in the past, just drop it.

I've personally been following the whole PTS thing, and saw good interaction between the developers and players, people testing, giving direct feedback, and that feedback taken into account. Over a couple weeks, things got to the point where people would test out the event, and come out of it just fine with no problems.

This means that testing is not futile (resistance still is!). If someone wants to encourage more people to go in and test, that cannot hurt the game any.

So please, just don't discourage it. If you want to not test, then just don't.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Looking at this from the perspective of someone who's new to how things work around here, I just have to say I'm baffled. Saints have the patience of Trailturtle, as I know I'd be flipping out if I were given a set of patch notes listing fixes, and the list was not accurate. Valerian Scarlet and bullet for blissele not working at the Sep 21st release when both were on the list as fixed. Then pushing back the release of the event to fix the crashing bug, then releasing the event as ready to go all the while the crash bug had not been fixed.

The process needs to change if they can't even tell that the fixes they're using don't work on live.

And the thread in the bugs section where, I think it's Drannic, was acknowledging the whiteout teaming/bunker bug, but didn't immediately know what the bug was, and was asking for how to reproduce the issue. He said he believed there was an issue, due to the volume of reports on the bug, but couldn't reproduce it, later editing to say he figured it out. It was a demonstration of good communication with the playerbase, but also a demonstration of a poor QA pipeline, if "When Teaming, players cannot enter Bunkers" is not immediatly understandable and reproduceable, or reports that concise not immediatly at QA's disposal, there is a very big problem with the report system. If the noise from mass reports on an issue is preventing them from understanding what the issue is, then they need a better way of managing the reports.

I've got hope for this game. I'm coming over from CoH, due the the fubar that is happening with NCsoft, and I'm not blind to what's going on. Trailturtle has been working Mach 5 to liase between the devs and community, and with the tone of the veteren players, it seems he's been performing at a level that the CO community hasn't seen in the past. The dev team is understaffed and doing what they can. There are always going to be bugs games. I just have to say that none of that matters.

If the Quality Assurance process is to a point where they can't tell that fixes they spend time and resources on, don't work on live, then why should I take time to head over to PTS (where I don't get actual progress for the time I spend)? Bugs get reported, fixes are done, communication is had, but then we find that the fix doesn't apply to the build that matters. A week pushback of the event, and what we have to show is that the crash bug was fixed on test. It's like getting everything perfect on the practice field, but falling apart on gameday.

They could fix all the bugs, have every power and mission working perfectly, and no graphical glitches whatsoever, but when it only applies to the test server and doesn't translate to live. What's the point?

They need to prioritize fixing their QA pipeline to ensure fixes on test work on live, before the recent improvements to communication become an exercise in frustration, and that communication breaks down. They need to make sure that the time they spend fixing the bugs is applyed to live, so they're not fixing the same bugs twice, wasting their time and the players time. Until then, -I'm- not willing to swap over to test, when this stuff is making it to live anyway. For now I'll test it on live and get them info to help them fix it where it matters.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    From someone in the IT field who's a Systems Administrator, I do have a certain amount of experise in this area. Test servers are great things with good testing they can find errors before they get into a production system. However, test server are never exactly the same as the production environment. You have the same types of servers and software. But the hardware is hardly ever exactly the same as the production hardware. Data store requiremens can be smaller so they use local storage rather than a storage area network. If you aren't religious in your maintenance, your production and test environments can be slightly different in terms if O/S patches. And that even applied to the firmware levels of your hardware in the boxes. And even doing everything right, you can have difference creep into the environments. Object and data caches on the systems will be different. And they can't make striking differences. (In fact that very thing hit after a major update of the software of one of our high profile production systems at work. We had to roll the update back the previous version, but they were still trouble plagued due to object caches on the production servers. My colleague had an...interesting day yesterday.)

And you can never, ever reproduce production like conditions in your test environment. Inevitably you can't produce the workload of the production environment on your test server. One, the test server may not have the processing power to do it. Second, you probably can't get hundreds or thousands to test things. Dedicated testers and a QA department can be invaluable for finding bugs. But they aren't users, they aren't necessarily going be the same things in the same ways that ordinary users would be (i.e. "Why in the world would someone click-drag on the Z window?!?! It just displays information.")

And sometimes bugs are just hard to find. You have to have the interactions of the user, the game client and the game server in just the right way for the bug to occur. That's what the level 1 bug was. The big group of tester which tested the patch on PTS didn't the right interaction. It required a user base 50x bigger to find it.And out of thousands of players it only affected a few.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm not one to argue when I'm wrong, but could you find me a link to this? I'd like to see that. If that's the case, then I can completely accept the solution.

Damn...

When I posted that I was sure I could find the link that would verify what I'd read, but I was wrong...

I know it was said. I paraphrased the original response, which was something along the lines of "It's hard coded but we may be able to change the settings, we'll look into it". But I just can't find it now...

I'm sorry; I'd really like to verify this, but I've searched the forums for almost an hour and I just can't find it...

:frown:

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    TT IS doing an amazing job. A job that we have not seen done since Tumerboy was yanked away from us. While Tumerboy was here, he was doing a better job of something that wasn't even supposed to be his job than the person whose job it supposedly was. I personally supported the idea of Tumerboy getting three paychecks. His normal check for the outstanding artwork he bestowed on us, a second check for being community rep and taking Stormshade's check away from him and giving it to TB for doing SS's job.

TT has been thrown into the middle of a very tense situation. The players here have been after the devs since launch for better communication and (with the rare and temporary improvements) getting less and less of it. This is not a scenario designed to improve the community's reactions when bad things happen. I'm sure TT feels like he has been sat down between a very hungry lion and a pile of freshly butchered meat and is wondering if the lion is going to use him as an appetizer. Don't worry, TT, just keep throwing us chunks of that meat. We don't usually eat the one that feeds us unless he stops feeding us.

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Guys, let's stop the "Should you test or not test" fight, okay?

If you've decided not to test because of whatever reason, that's fine. Don't push those reasons on other people. This thread was to inform players that less bugs happen when more people test. And it's true. Whatever happened in the past, just drop it.

I've personally been following the whole PTS thing, and saw good interaction between the developers and players, people testing, giving direct feedback, and that feedback taken into account. Over a couple weeks, things got to the point where people would test out the event, and come out of it just fine with no problems.

This means that testing is not futile (resistance still is!). If someone wants to encourage more people to go in and test, that cannot hurt the game any.

So please, just don't discourage it. If you want to not test, then just don't.

I admit that it appears we are talking with each other about this. And we are!

We are also talking to you (PWE | Cryptic | Champions Online; not necessarily you, personally) and are telling you why we do not participate in the test server and what you would need to do in order to encourage us to participate in the test server. Assuming you want us to help test things, that is ...

My very first post in this thread indicated that I do not test because I do not enjoy being brushed off, dismissed or ignored.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intent and meaning, but isn't that precisely what your post just did? Brushed off, dismissed and ignored our feedback? (Admittedly, it is rather negative feedback ...)

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    I admit that it appears we are talking with each other about this. And we are!

We are also talking to you (PWE | Cryptic | Champions Online; not necessarily you, personally) and are telling you why we do not participate in the test server and what you would need to do in order to encourage us to participate in the test server. Assuming you want us to help test things, that is ...

My very first post in this thread indicated that I do not test because I do not enjoy being brushed off, dismissed or ignored.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intent and meaning, but isn't that precisely what your post just did? Brushed off, dismissed and ignored our feedback? (Admittedly, it is rather negative feedback ...)

What I'm saying is, this thread is to inform people about how the level 1 bug could have been found and fixed before it went to live - with more people testing.

If people want to talk about there being no point in testing because of this and that, they're free to start a new thread about it. "Why should I go on PTS?"

Negative feedback is fine, and in my opinion quite necessary. I'm not discouraging it, I'm just saying put it where it belongs.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Damn...

When I posted that I was sure I could find the link that would verify what I'd read, but I was wrong...

I know it was said. I paraphrased the original response, which was something along the lines of "It's hard coded but we may be able to change the settings, we'll look into it". But I just can't find it now...

I'm sorry; I'd really like to verify this, but I've searched the forums for almost an hour and I just can't find it...

:frown:

I think you're thinking of this post by Drannic in the PTS post "Top Two Player Issues"?
    1. Systems: Global Chat Server: Report for spam feature is being abused. (somebob, Thread Post) [QA - This feature is a part of game engine, and will not be removed since all of our games use this. But since Champions has seen a huge drop in advertisers, maybe we can look into making a game specific change to lighten when the silence is placed on an account. I will bring this issue up with development to see if this is possible, or at least someone to look into it. Also to reassure, CO does have GMs, but with the increase of products and players under Cryptic Studios titles, GMs are not always granted the amount of time to ?show face? in game these days as I did when I was still a GM during Champions launch. :frown: ]
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, I will put it this way:

1- Trailturtle, you're doing good. You're an intermediary and we know you're giving us what you can. No one's mad at you, no one's disappointed. Hell, I'd let you use the toilet with the door open in my house, because I think you're a fine fella.

2- Devs, we GET IT. You're understaffed. No one is saying 'you suck'. I know what the problem is, and it's staffing and resources. Our complaint really isn't with you, per se- it's your supervisors. I know the situation you're in. It's very similar to a wartime mission. I've been there with fewer people than I need, lacking the gear I need- and someone griping at me because I can't accomplish this mission. They know it isn't me. It's the people I work for, who should be managing this.

And THAT is who the gripes are directed at. Not YOU, the Devs or Trailturtle, but the guys who are setting you up for disappointment (I won't say 'failure', it's really not). The problems are here. The solution is identified. Action is what is needed. If the PWE overlords don't want to consider this portion of their customers, then it's going to be their wallets that take the hit. I mean, you don't really think that one more fantasy MMORPG is going to make a huge splash in the game market, do you?
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    nobody seems to be willing to do that unless they get paid (you'd think this game was about mercenaries, not superheroes...).

I know right ? People hoping to perhaps receive some sort of incentive or reward for work done is downright shameful.

Good thing the devs work for free.....right ? I wouldnt want anyone to think they are mercenary for being paid to work.

For me, I never felt the need for any form of actual reward. Removing functionality that benefited players is something else entirely.

Oddly enough that functionality, the C-Store on PTS, benefited the company (to some extent) as well. Without the ability to preview certain C-Store options before purchasing, I cant justify buying them.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What I'm saying is, this thread is to inform people about how the level 1 bug could have been found and fixed before it went to live - with more people testing.

If people want to talk about there being no point in testing because of this and that, they're free to start a new thread about it. "Why should I go on PTS?"

Negative feedback is fine, and in my opinion quite necessary. I'm not discouraging it, I'm just saying put it where it belongs.

The thread makes a request of us. Responding to that request does not seem to be off topic to me.

For what its worth the thread is not about informing us of anything. The OP was purely speculative. An expression of opinion. For all we know having the entire CO community testing would still not have caught the level one bug.

For what it is worth, I place no blame whatsoever on Cryptic for missing a bug.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I think you're thinking of this post by Drannic in the PTS post "Top Two Player Issues"?

That's it!

Thank you...

:smile:

Laws yes!
  • Options
    thesithkiller360thesithkiller360 Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    And you think this is also a reason of how many people are on test ?

They have to bring the PTS on the same Codebase then life simply. And we need again
    the C-Store there, since that at least bugs the tailor, but since the code seems to be so
    strange that the addition of Vehicles break Boss mechanics .. who knows what else the
    missing C-Store can do :rolleyes:

That- 10000 Times.
    I want to Get an Extra Char slot- HEY THERE! BLANK C- Store HERE!
    I wanna Make a Costume for RPs, and check out newly made Sets- HEY THERE! BLANK C- Store HERE!
    I want to Refill my stars to Check stats difference after wasting my Time dying 5 times- HEY THERE! BLANK C- Store HERE!
    I want To check out the Special powers of Travelling- HEY There..... Questionite : 0
    o_0
    Okay, thats not a Directly related to c-Store Issue, (Although it WOULD BE NICE to have Free infinite questionite- Hint hint for Test server Devs!) But u get the Idea- the new changes made to the game regarding C-Store basicaly LOCKED people from fun AND testing.
    When is c-Store coming Back?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Never. It's called Z-store now.
    *scowls away*
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options