Install Arc
Options

FC.30.20120808a.4 PTS Update

2»

Comments

• Options
    reinweibritterreinweibritter Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Didn't they slow down Superspeed near launch because it caused loading issues?

Or was that a different superhero MMO?
  • Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    These prototype vehicles are simple Become devices, but that is NOT how the final system is going to behave.

Then, this is the final system who can be interesting to test by players, for a good release of a new kind of content.
    Simple become devices will give some money with the store but as the old become devices, these are toys who don't add anything to the game.

Sorry, but my first try was to play with an invisible character who have a glide TP and powers which don't are mine.
    I don't see any interest in this feature and Cryptic know already how to do become devices since a long time.
    Then i will wait to test the final system and see if they add anything new to the game.
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Then again, the only thing I can say is that you mention 'super powered characters', when this is false. Not all heroes have Super Powers, and I like the idea that vehicles have some speed on them you can't get with powers- simply put, 'Dude, why waste your time getting a vehicle, your fly power is faster'. They do need -some- utility advantage over travel powers.

The thing is, they were originally advocated by players as an alternative travel power. So superspeed was to be replaced by a motorcycle and fly to be replaced by a jet. They weren't expected to be better but rather a realistic version of travel for superheroes who didn't have superspeed or whathaveyou.

So I don't get why they are faster >.> I'm not saying it isn't interesting or fun or cool, it just fits in weirdly to the game at the moment for me when you have people that are powerful enough to equal machines all on their own. I'm very reluctant to say this but its almost as if two puzzle peices are trying to fit together that seem so different, they are two potentially different MMOs. It's up to the Dev team to make them fit seamlessly together, so we'll see what happens in the next patch... Again, not saying that I don't want them... it just feels so strange >.<

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can see it, but yeah. I think there should be a faster flying (Standard, no jetpack) power. Maybe like as fast as Jet Boots. Of course, controlling a Superspeed toon can be a real pain in the junk.

Then again, the only thing I can say is that you mention 'super powered characters', when this is false. Not all heroes have Super Powers, and I like the idea that vehicles have some speed on them you can't get with powers- simply put, 'Dude, why waste your time getting a vehicle, your fly power is faster'. They do need -some- utility advantage over travel powers.

You're in luck! If you take the jetpack TP but your character doesn't have a jetpack, you'll get all the benefits of its speed with no graphical effect. I've done this on a few characters.

As for vehicles in the context of characters who don't or wouldn't use them - it'd be nice if they could include some way for characters w/o them to still take part in the "special vehicle content". Perhaps they could offer a "non-vehicle" vehicle, which basically just ups your speed or damage to w/e levels someone using a vehicle would have, but you otherwise look like your regular self...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    As for vehicles in the context of characters who don't or wouldn't use them - it'd be nice if they could include some way for characters w/o them to still take part in the "special vehicle content". Perhaps they could offer a "non-vehicle" vehicle, which basically just ups your speed or damage to w/e levels someone using a vehicle would have, but you otherwise look like your regular self...

Or you could just level a different toon that could use one in like, what? Three days? :P

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Or you could just level a different toon that could use one in like, what? Three days? :P

Of course! Because no one wants to keep playing the same character through new content... that's madness!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We have new content??
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    We have new content??

Well, at some point we will :cool:
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to disregard what the Ask Cryptic said :rolleyes:
    Can we see more claws updates? Its rather necessary. I'd like for, you know, it to be good?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    You're in luck! If you take the jetpack TP but your character doesn't have a jetpack, you'll get all the benefits of its speed with no graphical effect. I've done this on a few characters.

I like this idea... it makes sense to me and I think it helps piece in the vehicle content a little better than just throwing it in there. It makes sense that occassionally you'd find a character strong enough to take on vehicles and might even help blend the vehicles more coherently into this genre.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    blumoon8 wrote: »
    I like this idea... it makes sense to me and I think it helps piece in the vehicle content a little better than just throwing it in there. It makes sense that occassionally you'd find a character strong enough to take on vehicles and might even help blend the vehicles more coherently into this genre.

Particularly since heroes have been destroying armored ground vehicles, combat aircraft, submarines, tunneling vehicles, etc. in CO from the beginning.

In a superhero genre game there should not be any restriction preventing a non-vehicle character from participating in content.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I just... Don't get this at all.

I fooled around with it a bit, and I am not pleased. Like other people here I don't really understand why vehicles are taking priority over normal hero stuff in content, that kind of stuff makes sense in STO, other sci fi oriented games and even fantasy, but it's off for a Superhero game. I mean, take Iron Man for instance, he's an excellent example of the issue with this because in essence his powered armor is his vehicle. We have an entire set devoted to powered armor, and several travel powers to go with it.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I can see it, but yeah. I think there should be a faster flying (Standard, no jetpack) power. Maybe like as fast as Jet Boots. Of course, controlling a Superspeed toon can be a real pain in the junk.

He didnt say that all heroes have Super Powers. He said that vehicles should not be inherently faster than super powered movement. The genre generally agrees with him.

As to the, "-some- utility advantage over travel powers," how many TPs come with attacks ?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Particularly since heroes have been destroying armored ground vehicles, combat aircraft, submarines, tunneling vehicles, etc. in CO from the beginning.

In a superhero genre game there should not be any restriction preventing a non-vehicle character from participating in content.

I tip tioed in my post but I agree with this! All of this!!!

• Options
    reinweibritterreinweibritter Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »

I fooled around with it a bit, and I am not pleased. Like other people here I don't really understand why vehicles are taking priority over normal hero stuff in content, that kind of stuff makes sense in STO, other sci fi oriented games and even fantasy, but it's off for a Superhero game. I mean, take Iron Man for instance, he's an excellent example of the issue with this because in essence his powered armor is his vehicle. We have an entire set devoted to powered armor, and several travel powers to go with it.

For every superhero I see in the game, I see 2 demons, a catgirl, some kind of robot and is that the color black given sentience?

This stopped being a hero game long ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    For every superhero I see in the game, I see 2 demons, a catgirl, some kind of robot and is that the color black given sentience?

And every single one of them is a superhero. Ask the dozens of civilians that come charging up to thank them for saving the city/world/etc.

• Options
    edited August 2012

A demon can't be a superhero? How about a catgirl, or "some kind of robot"? I wasn't aware that we were playing a version of the game where only *your* narrow definition of "superhero" is accepted.

*Runs off to create a superhero that is the color black given sentience*
  • Options
    edited August 2012

The turth of the matter is, those heroes are user defined for what they are, WHATEVER THAT MAY BE. I can be a freakishly disproportionate man fairy and still be loved by all! That's what makes the game so great (and is about literally...), making the hero you want to be.

• Options
    theprettypixietheprettypixie Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Bug: Strafing Run doesn't break Sneak's Stealth.

Pretty.Pixie
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    When is the next patch coming, where we'll actually see the vehicles. :biggrin:
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »

Are you damaged? Look at this game and tell me how many times something else came before 'normal hero stuff'. Get a grip on reality. MANY, and I mean, damned near ALL superhero teams had vehicles.

I just see a lot of wailing because 'Booohoo, my character doesn't use vehicles, I don't get a toy!". This community whines because they devs don't communicate with them. All it takes is ten minutes on this forum reading the whining and moaning and griping about the stupidest thing, because something they work on didn't accomodate them -SPECIFICALLY-, as if the devs owe you something for playing their FREE game.

Emanation points don't serve any purpose for my toon. I won't need them. You don't see my bawling because it's not something for me.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Are you damaged? Look at this game and tell me how many times something else came before 'normal hero stuff'. Get a grip on reality. MANY, and I mean, damned near ALL superhero teams had vehicles.

I just see a lot of wailing because 'Booohoo, my character doesn't use vehicles, I don't get a toy!". This community whines because they devs don't communicate with them. All it takes is ten minutes on this forum reading the whining and moaning and griping about the stupidest thing, because something they work on didn't accomodate them -SPECIFICALLY-, as if the devs owe you something for playing their FREE game.

Emanation points don't serve any purpose for my toon. I won't need them. You don't see my bawling because it's not something for me.

While I am not quite as.... pugnacious, I am in agreement with this.
    Guys, you seem to be missing the point of the vehicle content, and even acquiring one, is entirely optional.
    And there have been plenty of very famous superheroes that have used various kinds of vehicles in their careers.
    Even Iron Man has had a few, though they obviously take a backseat to his more famous armors.
    And to the people that are wanting an option to do the Vehicle only content without the vehicle: I'm sorry, but no. That is why it is Vehicle Only content. If you don't want to use a vehicle because it doesn't mesh with your character concept, okay then, that is fine. But don't go making such a ludicrous suggestion.
    If even Superman can occasionally be bothered to climb into a goofy rocket so he can traipse around space, you officially have no excuse. But don't go crying to the devs or anyone else how it locks you out of the content specifically designed for vehicle adventures.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Had a response but deleted it. Reserving all judgments for next patch.

• Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's pretty obvious these will just be customizable become devices.

No need for the cloak and dagger.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hocofaisan wrote: »

You're my favorite poster these days, Mr. Positive! :D
    Eeyore

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

hocofaisan wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there's no actual way for us to customize a become device.
    But considering that it's been admitted the future Sidekick system is a direct take of Star Trek Online's Bridge Officer system, and judging from the descriptions of how the developers have stated they want vehicles to eventually work, it sounds more and more likely that the future Vehicles system is gonna operate very similarly to STO's Starships.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh by the way, I keep forgetting.
    Bug: Athletics is slower than Acrobatics.
    How to reproduce: Get two people, one with Acrobatics rank 3 and the other with Athletics Rank 3. Then observe their footrace, watch the Acrobatics user burn the Athletics user.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Simple request: Bullet Beatdown - Without Incident advantage: This advantage works with Concentration or Enrage, can it work with Focus too? I don't see why an "Enraged" or a "Concentrated" shooter gets AoE advantage over a "Focused" Shooter.