Install Arc
Options

FC.30.20120720a.3 PTS Update

Comments

• Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    cascadence wrote: »
    Actually.... there was a patch a few moments ago and it fixed decloak. Now.... I am quite confused about Sneak more than ever.

If it is working as intended (and by reading the description I think it is) decloak won't go away unless you spend 4 seconds without doing anything.

But... here comes the big but... if you turn off the toggle, you can keep attacking, and after the 4 seconds, you can turn on the toggle for another spike.

So... can anyone tell me, what was the whole purpose of the thing being a permanent toggle? I just don't see it... its more beneficial to just toggle it off and on every 4 or so seconds.

Edit: I guess the only benefit I see, its for regular farming... saves you the pain of turning off and on sneak manually, its really convenient this way.

The whole idea is to make sneaking easier, more user-friendly, and better for long battles (Similar to CoX Hide, do note, CoX hide did have a cooldown, tossing the cooldown back on would help with that small issue though)
    I should point out, switching zones detoggles sneak, similar to the Energy Builder bug. Also, stuns appear to detoggle sneak, these should be fixed.
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The whole idea is to make sneaking easier, more user-friendly, and better for long battles (Similar to CoX Hide, do note, CoX hide did have a cooldown, tossing the cooldown back on would help with that small issue though)

Hmmm... roger, I guess I get the reasoning. By the way.....

Bug: Gas pellets are still not applying properly their intended snare

More on the balance side, I like how the boomerang throw and cone feel now, they don't overlap on each other if you know what you are doing. But still, I feel that both still do too much damage... they could use another slight toning down on their damage. (just try using the boomerangs with an actual ranged build, AKA: ranged role, concentration, and you'll see what I mean).

Also the gas pellets still feel too expensive, specially for the new AT, he doesnt have a way to throw them from sneak, since he doesn't have high REC.

Edit & bug: Boomerang cone is giving the 20% crit severity buff if you have the toggle of sneak on, even if you are not actually on stealth.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    voiceoftemprusvoiceoftemprus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    EDITS: Are bleeds and other DoTs you cause suppose to add/refresh Decloaked? Makes sense from the causing damage perspective but it was not doing that before this (stealth) patch.

Is Boomerang Cone supposed to

a) have a 10 second buff that leaves the +20 Crit Severity up when used when Sneak is toggled on?

b) refreshed or apply the buff if you have the Decloaked debuff on you, as it is applying or refreshing it if Decloaked?
    "CO once had devs, but they all fled to STO and NW because they feared Caliga." -matixzon
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Are bleeds and other DoTs you cause suppose to keep you out of stealth? Took me several minutes to realize that "Anguish" was why some times I hit stealth after 4 seconds and some times much longer as I had to wait for all instances of the DoT I caused to end.

Bleeds had always got you out of stealth.... so I assume its the same for any dot... so yep, this is a dot unfriendly passive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    cascadence wrote: »
    Bleeds had always got you out of stealth.... so I assume its the same for any dot... so yep, this is a dot unfriendly passive.

Oh? Like how DoTs are supposed to break placates for the same reason? Well then:

Bug: Pestilence DoT does not count as your own damage, therefore it does not interact the way other DoTs do towards Placate/Stealth mechanics.

Hope this bug which has always been around gets fixed, otherwise DoTs and such shouldn't break stealth.
  • Options
    frankendreadzfrankendreadz Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Bug
    interface issue

inate talent and talent ui:

when you scroll down and try to sleect those options below which is visible, as soon as you click to slelect
    the display pops back to the top and then selects the bottom most option depending on which column
    for example beeing trying to select impluse but then pops up to the visible options then selects bottom option
    this happens whatever is on display within the window
    so if you re-size the ui display, whatever is not on show cannot therefore be selected

I like to point out that this has been an issue since at least the last 3 updates

Could you take a look at strafing run .. the damage out seems to be very weak compared to other options
    was hoping to pick it for an missle/explosion themed power armor
    I thought it would be like a naparm stike (apocalypse now comes to mind complete with streaking jets noises) or as the airstrike outside the prison in the desert
    its not really living up to its overall effect

thank you
  • Options
    strypewolvenstrypewolven Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    BUG: Not game breaking, but your pointer appears during cutscenes allowing you to mouse-over things.

BUG: Even after the .5 update, the bug to Den of Thieves still persists. The quest is not completeable at this time as you're not properly credited for completing the sewer portion of that quest.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You can apply CrowdControl without decloaking again.
    Being able to hold/snare/root a target from sneak before you Shadow Strike them seems like too much in PVP and unnecessary in pve.

When all powers decloaked, this wasn't a problem. maybe we can get a compromise?

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It's not a big deal, but i think the Night Avenger AT doesn't look like a vigilante hero to me.

I think you should replace the gas mask with the "mask wrapped" mouth accessory (Inspired by "The Shadow") and i also think he could use a cape (inspired by batman, Nighthawk, ect).

Attachment not found.

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Being able to hold/snare/root a target from sneak before you Shadow Strike them seems like too much in PVP and unnecessary in pve.

When all powers decloaked, this wasn't a problem. maybe we can get a compromise?

There's only a few charged holds that can do that without dealing damage. And they go on cooldown, actually this might not be a terrible thing, SStrike is pretty impossible to get off in PvP without this, and those holds are not easy to get off either, they're only 50' range. If its really a major thing though.The problem could be solved by making the rest of the charged holds that don't deal damage, start to deal damage.
    Do note the same effect with these holds can happen with Smoke Grenade and Smoke Grenade advantage, Escape Artist.
    EDIT: Something I forgot to bring up, Charged holds are considered the "Useless" in all playstyles, and melee is considered "Underpowered" in PvP (PvE its weaker, but not as extreme) allowing this synergy, though it might seem unintended, could setup for a meaner melee build.
  • Options
    rstzedrstzed Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited August 2012

But why CC the mob? If I move in while stealthed and press the Shadow Strike button as soon as it ungrays(?) I always get it off.

I'm not saying don't fix the bug, I am just saying it is not that big a problem.
  • Options
    zandartheweeblezandartheweeble Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    rstzed wrote: »
    But why CC the mob? If I move in while stealthed and press the Shadow Strike button as soon as it ungrays(?) I always get it off.

I'm not saying don't fix the bug, I am just saying it is not that big a problem.

You can do the same on using non PA maintains just after popping a PA power like eye beams or micro munitions. Hit and hold maintain just after you trigger the PA power and you get both off.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Its really a PvP situation, SStriking a held opponent might be considered OP...however, melee builds generally are considered UP. So this might balance the playing field. Easy counter to holds, another stealth ability (Smoke Grenade with Escape Artist) or an Active Offense.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

As i said in my previous post, its unnecessary in pve.

The thing that worries me is for example: Ego hold, which can be charged on the move and sneak.

Imagine your in bash and suddenly ego held out of nowhere and the person that held you is still invisible, then you drop dead from shadow strike.

I haven't personalty tested this, but it sounds annoying.
    Its really a PvP situation, SStriking a held opponent might be considered OP...however, melee builds generally are considered UP. So this might balance the playing field. Easy counter to holds, another stealth ability (Smoke Grenade with Escape Artist) or an Active Offense.
    This may be true, especially for pros, but this combo doesn't sound very noob/AT friendly.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    As i said in my previous post, its unnecessary in pve.

The thing that worries me is for example: Ego hold, which can be charged on the move and sneak.

Imagine your in bash and suddenly ego held out of nowhere and the person that held you is still invisible, then you drop dead from shadow strike.

I haven't personalty tested this, but it sounds annoying.

This may be true, especially for pros, but this combo doesn't sound very noob/AT friendly.

Well, honestly its not as daunting as it sound, active offenses break holds, which prevent combos like this quiet well, Ego hold itself is only 50' range and a long chargetime, this makes the combo itself difficult, not impossible, however. also note, pets see through stealth (having pets here is useful) DoTs are very unfriendly to sneak, using one or being hit by one makes your sneak useless, and perception gear can effectively nullify sneak, with all these counters, Sneak does sound like it need an effective PvP combo (Not uncounterable, mind you) but effective enough to have a decent sucess rate.
  • Options
    voiceoftemprusvoiceoftemprus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's not a big deal, but i think the Night Avenger AT doesn't look like a vigilante hero to me.

I think you should replace the gas mask with the "mask wrapped" mouth accessory (Inspired by "The Shadow") and i also think he could use a cape (inspired by batman, Nighthawk, ect).

Attachment not found.
    Yeah, have to agree, the default costume makes me think of Black (well, Greyscale) Ops, not dark urban vigilante.

EDIT: We need Vet Rewards to continue to 1900 days, that way I can be level 2 when I start the tutorial. :wink:
    "CO once had devs, but they all fled to STO and NW because they feared Caliga." -matixzon
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I personally think CC is necessary for ALL melee to exist. Without costume contests melee is completely useless..

I stopped testing but there are paralyzes that charge while moving? Thought they changed them all to immobile.

deNerfing crowd control is amongst my top priorities
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »
    I personally think CC is necessary for ALL melee to exist. Without costume contests melee is completely useless..
    You are the Crowd control advocate, but i cant tall if your serious here.:tongue:

And ego hold is the only hold that you can charge on the move.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »

I stopped testing but there are paralyzes that charge while moving? Thought they changed them all to immobile.

deNerfing crowd control is amongst my top priorities

Unfortunaly, Jaybezz is correct, Crowd Control is key for melee DPS, its an unfortunate issue with the metagame of CO.

On another note! Please read this suggestion, Brick users EVERYWHERE should jump for joy! http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2243081#post2243081
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Its dicey because hes surrounded by flame throwers but i one shotted Cyberlord on Elite.

• Options
    raediyaraediya Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Test: Shadow Strike
    Version: FC.30.20120731a.5
    nisdiddums wrote: »
    PTS update FC.30.20120720a.3
    -Powers: Shadow Strike: This power has had its damage and energy costs adjusted slightly. This power now properly checks for if you are decloaked or not.

Disclaimer:
    Test is not intended to be comprehensive.

Test Parameters:
    The Night Avenger Archetype.
    Attributes:
    Secondary SS:Strength: 68, Primary SS:Dexterity: 643, Secondary SS:Ego: 65
    Offense: 269.8
    Relevant powers: Form of the Tiger (Rank 1), Night Warrior/Sneak/Shadow Strike (Rank 3), Viper's Fangs (Rank 1)

Freeform
    Secondary SS:Strength: 70, Primary SS:Dexterity: 645, Secondary SS:Constitution: 63
    Offense: 313.6
    Relevant powers: Form of the Tiger (Rank 1), Night Warrior/Sneak/Shadow Strike (Rank 3), Viper's Fangs (Rank 1)

Method:
    Target: Level 40 target dummies. Form of the Tiger (Focus: 8 stacks). Sneak enabled, no exterior buffs.

Results:

The Night Avenger Archetype
    Your Shadow Strike deals 53612 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 45012 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 46217 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 42402 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.

Debuffs: Shredded, Expose Weakness 2/2: 5 stacks.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 50154 (41795) Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 54749 (45624) Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.

Freeform
    Your Shadow Strike deals 40401 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 44966 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 42639 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 41247 Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.

Debuffs: Shredded, Expose Weakness 2/2: 5 stacks.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 51949 (43291) Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.
    Your Shadow Strike deals 56309 (43315) Slashing Damage to Test Dummy.

Inquiry:
    What is the intended damage range of this power?

Screenshots:
    The Night Avenger Archetype Shadow Strike
    Freeform Shadow Strike

Other: (Bug) Inborn Tenacity still causes game client crash on mouse over.
  • Options
    sinistro1978sinistro1978 Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    oyo32 wrote: »
    I would say it helps, but Brick is still nowhere near what it used to be.

Keep in mind those bonuses were only applied to 5 powers out of the entire Brick set when there are a couple more that could benefit from it (read: Annilihate). And let's face it, ramp-up buff or not, who would ever pick Mighty Kick ever (other than thematics)? It also doesn't address the underlying issue with Brick (the damage loss), Defiance still needs its Enrage synergy back (now more than ever), and this doesn't affect non-Knock Brick powers (the Brick combos, Shockwave, Iron Cyclone/Lariat etc.).

That being said, I would gladly exchange the damage ramp-up for Brick's base damage being restored.

However, Brick isn't the focus of these patch pushes, Night Avenger is. I rather Cryptic spend as much time on balancing this and making it viable, otherwise we would just end up with another broken crapset.

This is my biggest concern right now. Although I don't think the current changes to Might's knock damage was the right way to fix the problem, at least Might got something. What about the rest of Brick's frameworks? Heavy Weapons depended on Aggressor/Enrage stacks just as much as Might did. So why do the devs feel Heavy Weapons made it through the On Alert changes unscathed, while Might had problems? I also agree that the new Enrage has poor synergy with Defiance and that non-knock powers still need addressed. Most importantly Brick as a whole (not just Might) needs some looking into.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Some thoughts after testing the latest changes to the new powers:

1. I like how you can choose to be stealthed or not, and I really like how you automatically recloak after a few seconds. 60 seconds as a recharge for the shadow strike may be a bit much. Perhaps have ranking up Nightwarrior reduce that a little? It is such a key power to the whole stealthy character thing, it should be available more often. I am still not in love with the animation that was chosen, though. Burning chi fist still feels like the animation that should be used.

2. I do not like how the boomerang EB still shares the same animation as the actual boomerang throw power. These two powers need to be at least a little more different, visually. Remove the part of the animation that has you really lean into the throw and perhaps don't have the full follow-through with the throw, for the EB.

3. I still feel that boomerang cone should be a maintain with a smaller cone. It just doesn't feel like you'd actually be able to hit as wide of a cone as you do, with the throw animation used.

4. I love the "wind up and throw" animation for bolas.

5. Gas pellets just feels... weird. You can use the power much further away than the pellets actually travel. I think either the power's range needs to be reduced or the distance the pellets travel needs to be extended. I also feel that a power like this should have a stealth/placate or confusion mechanic connected to it. The damage they do just isn't that great, so they need something more.

6. Grapple gun sounds cool, but the cable/claw is just too big. I think the graphic needs to be shrunk down and the firing and subsequent pulling in of the target need to be sped up. Honestly, this power shouldn't even do that much damage. I think it should get an advantage that electrifies the cable & claw, and perhaps adds a stun to it.

7. I love how strafing run is coming along. I understand that it's still a work in progress, but the silhouette of the jet flying by as it fires is very cool. I would like to see the firing effect start a little before the target area, (even if it's just for looks), and you need a gun sound with some oomph!

8. Smoke bomb lunge seems pretty good.

Overall, things are coming along nicely. I hope the new powers get a few more custom advantages in the next build. I do have to stress once more that the boomerang powers as they are now just look too goofy. I'd really like to see a more appropriate overhand throw, (almost like how one would throw a hatchet).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    thesoulstarthesoulstar Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know this subject has been brought up before but I thought it be good to just bring it up once again.
    The Stafling gun functionality with anybody who uses a gamepad is completely fubar as no matter how many times you click on the power it will never activate but you can use your directional right joystick to move around the targetting area, but clicking it again immediatly turns off
    might I suggest making a toggle similar to the functionality of sparkstorm's electric personality where it turns off after a certain period but you can still use your mouse/joystick to move around the targetting area? Just a thought
    On Call site found here: Project On Call

On Call FAQ found here:On Call FAQ
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know this subject has been brought up before but I thought it be good to just bring it up once again.
    The Stafling gun functionality with anybody who uses a gamepad is completely fubar as no matter how many times you click on the power it will never activate but you can use your directional right joystick to move around the targetting area, but clicking it again immediatly turns off
    might I suggest making a toggle similar to the functionality of sparkstorm's electric personality where it turns off after a certain period but you can still use your mouse/joystick to move around the targetting area? Just a thought

If you played CoX before, you'll notice that many powers use a placed targeting icon that you position w/ the mouse then activate w/ the mouse button or a key. CO didn't include such powers initially because of the problems they have with gamepad players. Remember, CO was originally going to be an Xbox 360 game as well, which is why some of these concessions had to be made. Now that is no longer the case, I honestly am glad to see the devs expanding the ways in which powers can function.

I don't mean to sound uncaring, but I can't see very much attention being paid to gamepad control anymore...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    grapemoussegrapemousse Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It is obvious that nothing added nowadays has any thought given to the Xbox gamepads. None of the things added since On Alert! (Probably before that) have even been compatible with it.

But is it a targetting area kind of power? How does that work in 3 dimensions?

LIFETIMER since 23/01/2012 || Join Date: Sep 2009

Can be reached in-game as @PoochieHellhound

Support me on YouTube!
  • Options
    sinistro1978sinistro1978 Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Single Blade Night Warrior seems to be a bad combo considering bleeds postpone Sneak. Any chance we can get this changed? Maybe make an exception with bleed damage and Sneak mechanics?

Also, it would be nice to have Sneak have it's own power bar when activated. Something like Rogues in WoW. Too many keybinds for my tastes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    helosie1helosie1 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kaizerin wrote: »
    The proposal: remove Rush from all Dragon abilities and place the Rush buff on all melee forms (this includes Enrage/Aspect of the Bestial). Have it trigger off a fully charged melee attack and the energy return scale off of how many stacks of your form you have. This will allow much more diversity to builds and give Might a much needed way of getting energy back without having to take Defiance/Unstoppable.

I 100% agree on this change and would love to see it happen.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The Nemesis still disappears in the Cyberlord fight making it impossible to complete.
    Note that this was a generic game generated nemesis and not a nemesis i created.

I decided to test and see if the generic nemesis is the problem so i went to create a nemesis for my test character.
    Creating a nemesis on test server causes the game to crash.

Since the character transfer tool is broken, i cant transfer a character that already has a nemesis to test further.

Are ppl with player created nemesis having problems completing the whiteout cyberlord fight?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    helosie1 wrote: »

I agree aswell, to simplify what it means (incase anyone is misunderstanding) It means to have Rush proc on all melee charged powers the same way it procs on dragon powers. This would be a great buff to all melee powers.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    helosie1 wrote: »

I hate to be a bandwagon hopper but...

/e hops on bandwagon.

I like this idea.

• Options
    thesoulstarthesoulstar Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    If you played CoX before, you'll notice that many powers use a placed targeting icon that you position w/ the mouse then activate w/ the mouse button or a key. CO didn't include such powers initially because of the problems they have with gamepad players. Remember, CO was originally going to be an Xbox 360 game as well, which is why some of these concessions had to be made. Now that is no longer the case, I honestly am glad to see the devs expanding the ways in which powers can function.

I don't mean to sound uncaring, but I can't see very much attention being paid to gamepad control anymore...

Played CoX for two and a half years and did enjoy my time there but like alot of people I soon just moved on to this game and plain didn't look back after that. That being said yes I am very aware about the gamepad situation but still if the game is gonna allow gamepad functionality at all then there should be at least some kind of alternative in order to get them working as I know for a fact I'm not alone in this annoyance. I already figured that they were straying away from paying much attention to the situation but still somebody should be made aware of it and take it into consideration.
    On Call site found here: Project On Call

On Call FAQ found here:On Call FAQ
  • Options
    dataweaver42dataweaver42 Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Boomerang and Bola powers are still in the Gadgeteer set, rather than the Archery set where they belong. And Strafing Run is still Gadgeteer rather than Munitions; but that's less of a problem.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Boomerang and Bola powers are still in the Gadgeteer set, rather than the Archery set where they belong. And Strafing Run is still Gadgeteer rather than Munitions; but that's less of a problem.

Why would boomerangs and bolas be archery? Since they are Batman inspired and they fall under Batman's gadgets, along with the Batjet, I don't see why they would be in archery over gadgets.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Why would boomerangs and bolas be archery? Since they are Batman inspired and they fall under Batman's gadgets, along with the Batjet, I don't see why they would be in archery over gadgets.
    Archery needs it's own ver. of:
    • Boomerang
    • Bbolas
    • Tanglecoil Launcher
    • Grapplegun Pull
    • And let's not forget "Entangling Mesh" :biggrin:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Archery needs it's own ver. of "boomerang" and "bolas", "Tanglecoil Launcher", "Grapplegun Pull", and let's not forget "Entangling Mesh" :biggrin:

Does it have the boxing glove arrow yet?
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I addressed this in an earlier post; but to reiterate:

1. Archery has more powers that are useful to the "boomerang hunter" concept than Gadgeteer has: for example, when picking your third power after Boomerang Toss and Boomerang Throw, the only Gadgeteer choice that makes sense for a boomerang hunter is Concentration; if the boomerang powers were in Archery, the valid choices for said third power would be Quarry, Concentration, Evasive Maneuvers, and Hunter's Instinct.

2. With Boomerang Powers in Gadgeteer, the "native" energy unlock is useless to them. If they were in Archery, the native energy unlock would be Hunter's Instinct, which could be very useful to them. But since it is tied specifically to Archery powers, it is currently utterly useless to them.

Conceptually, Gadgeteer is about sci-fi tech: blasters, robots, nanotech, and so on. Conversely, Archery is about low-tech that's often (but not always) enhanced by high-tech. Again, boomerangs (even tricked out boomerangs) and bolas fit the latter category better than the former.
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Does it have the boxing glove arrow yet?
    No, i think we're past the 70's and into the next millenium.
    It's got a "Taser" :wink:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I addressed this in an earlier post; but to reiterate:

1. Archery has more powers that are useful to the "boomerang hunter" concept than Gadgeteer has: for example, when picking your third power after Boomerang Toss and Boomerang Throw, the only Gadgeteer choice that makes sense for a boomerang hunter is Concentration; if the boomerang powers were in Archery, the valid choices for said third power would be Quarry, Concentration, Evasive Maneuvers, and Hunter's Instinct.

2. With Boomerang Powers in Gadgeteer, the "native" energy unlock is useless to them. If they were in Archery, the native energy unlock would be Hunter's Instinct, which could be very useful to them. But since it is tied specifically to Archery powers, it is currently utterly useless to them.

Conceptually, Gadgeteer is about sci-fi tech: blasters, robots, nanotech, and so on. Conversely, Archery is about low-tech that's often (but not always) enhanced by high-tech. Again, boomerangs (even tricked out boomerangs) and bolas fit the latter category better than the former.

1. Why would this prevent someone from picking up quarry? It only takes 2 non-archery powers to unlock quarry, so that argument is moot. So I don't get it.

2. The energy unlock thing is kind of moot since concentration gives energy as well, since bolas, pellets, strafing run and grapple gun all have CDs on them which will trigger gadgeteerings energy unlock. Especially considering how relatively inexpensive boomerangs are compared to Archery.

Your final argument about high tech versus low tech doesn't seem to jive at all, as archery is well, archery. Again, these powers are obviously made and inspired by Batman and his boomerangs, pellets, bolas and such were always labeled as gadgets.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    1. Why would this prevent someone from picking up quarry? It only takes 2 non-archery powers to unlock quarry, so that argument is moot. So I don't get it.
    Energy builders don't count toward the out-of-framework prerequisites; so most of the powers that I mentioned aren't available until level 8 as things stand. If you don't believe me, try it out: set up a level 6 Freeform character with Boomerang Toss and Boomerang Throw as the first two powers, and see if it lets you take Quarry as your third power.
    2. The energy unlock thing is kind of moot since concentration gives energy as well, since bolas, pellets, strafing run and grapple gun all have CDs on them which will trigger gadgeteerings energy unlock. Especially considering how relatively inexpensive boomerangs are compared to Archery.
    I'm not suggesting that pellets, grapple guns, or strafing runs should be moved to Archery; just Boomerang Toss, Boomerang Throw, Boomerang Cone, and Bolas. Though I wouldn't be heartbroken if Smoke Pellets were moved, too. Of these, the majority lack cooldowns and so get no benefit from the Gadgeteer EU. More to the point, I could easily come up with a thematically sound power progression built around the hunter theme that uses almost no cooldowns, Bolas and possibly smoke pellets being the main exceptions.
    Your final argument about high tech vs. low tech doesn't seem to jive at all, as archery is well, archery.
    If you choose to limit the set strictly to bow-and-arrow weapons, you do it a disservice. More generally, Archery s built around ranged combat using primitive weapons; to say that said primitive weapons must be bows and arrows is to needlessly restrict it.

Granted, its name implies bows and arrows; but IMHO, that's an indication that you might want a better name: say, Hunter.
    Again, these powers are obviously made and inspired by Batman and his boomerangs, pellets, bolas, and such were always labeled as gadgets.
    So? Green Arrow's arrows were also called gadgets. I think you may be getting a little too caught up in the names of things, rather than their uses.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Energy builders don't count toward the out-of-framework prerequisites; so most of the powers that I mentioned aren't available until level 8 as things stand. If you don't believe me, try it out: set up a level 6 Freeform character with Boomerang Toss and Boomerang Throw as the first two powers, and see if it lets you take Quarry as your third power.
    That is't a lack of believing anything that's just a lack of why would it matter? Having an offensive by level 8 would be about normal since relying solely on just your energy builder and one attack that early on would be a bit slow.
    I'm not suggesting that pellets, grapple guns, or strafing runs should be moved to Archery; just Boomerang Toss, Boomerang Throw, Boomerang Cone, and Bolas. Though I wouldn't be heartbroken if Smoke Pellets were moved, too. Of these, the majority lack cooldowns and so get no benefit from the Gadgeteer EU. More to the point, I could easily come up with a thematically sound power progression built around the hunter theme that uses almost no cooldowns, Bolas and possibly smoke pellets being the main exceptions.

But that still doesn't really bring to light any real need for hunter's instinct, again, due to the boomerangs being fairly inexpensive powers themselves, and again the forms themselves are energy unlocks unto themselves.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That is't a lack of believing anything that's just a lack of why would it matter? Having an offensive by level 8 would be about normal since relying solely on just your energy builder and one attack that early on would be a bit slow.
    Well, seeing as how there isn't a decent third attack available at that point that doesn't break the boomerang hunter theme, you might as well grab your Passive early. But it isn't just this: there aren't enough thematically appropriate powers in Gadgeteer to get you to the next Boomerang power. And if you go outside the Gadgeteer set at all, you postpone Bolas and Boomerang Cone until level 17. Given how much gameplay exists between levels 14 and 17, this is a painful delay.
    But that still doesn't really bring to light any real need for hunter's instinct, again, due to the boomerangs being fairly inexpensive powers themselves, and again the forms themselves are energy unlocks unto themselves.
    So? Are you saying that Hunter's Instinct wouldn't be worth purchasing if th Boomerang powers fell in its purview? Because that's what really matters here: not "are there other options that work?", but rather "does this option work?"
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    So? Are you saying that Hunter's Instinct wouldn't be worth purchasing if th Boomerang powers fell in its purview? Because that's what really matters here: not "are there other options that work?", but rather "does this option work?"

No one with a brain would pick Hunter's Instinct over Molecular Self-Assembly, sorry.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That depends entirely on the build. If your power set is heavy on cool downs, then yes, Molecular Self-Assembly is a better choice than Hunter's Instinct. But if you only have one or two, which are special-purpose, and instead have optimized for a lot of Crits, then Hunter's Instinct comes out on top.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That depends entirely on the build. If your power set is heavy on cool downs, then yes, Molecular Self-Assembly is a better choice than Hunter's Instinct. But if you only have one or two, which are special-purpose, and instead have optimized for a lot of Crits, then Hunter's Instinct comes out on top.

This is infact wrong, all you need is one power with a short cooldown, Conviction, Torrent of Arrows, etc, MSA is instantly better. MSA is the best.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If that is true, then the proper response would be to buff Hunter's Instinct to make it more competitive.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh: and another, minor thing: if it's not too much trouble, could we get Boomerang Throw turned into a Starter Power? I'd like to be able to go through the Tutorial using Boomerang Toss and Boomerang Throw, instead of using Boomerang Toss and Straight Shot for the Tutorial and then trading out Straight Shot for Boomerang Throw as soon as I get to the Power House.

And while I'm on the topic of minor tweaks that aren't terribly important but also aren't difficult to do, could you rename Boomerang Cone? Possibly to something like "Boomerang Blitz"?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Archery needs it's own ver. of:
    • Boomerang
    • Bolas
    • Tanglecoil Launcher
    • Grapplegun Pull
    • And let's not forget "Entangling Mesh" :biggrin:
    I wouldn't bother with arrow versions of Boomerang, Grapplegun Pull, or Entangling Mesh, and I'd say that a single "Net Arrow" power would serve as a counterpart to both of Bolas and Tanglecoil Launcher, which are essentially long- and short-range versions of each other - meaning that you'd have to take care to distinguish the Net Arrow from the Tanglecoil Launcher. And conversely, I wouldn't mind seeing Boomerang versions of Sonic Arrow, Taser Arrow, and Explosive Arrow. Boomerang Cone is already a counterpart to Torrent of Arrows. And not just for aesthetic purposes, either: as championshewolf rightly pointed out, boomerang powers are shorter range and lower energy than arrow powers, which is as it should be. I'd also add that boomerangs benefit from stealth while arrows don't. So a "Zapperang" that works similar to a Taser Arrow but with a shorter range, less energy, and a stealth-based buff would be a nice addition.

This is a separate issue from which set the Boomerang powers should belong to, though; and there will be time enough to add more powers later. But once the Boomerang powers go live, we'll be stuck with the power set chosen for them; so we have to get that right before they go live. (Incidently, another admittedly minor reason to put boomerangs in the Archer Framework is that Archer needs some love.)
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not really high on moving the boomerangs and bolos into archery. They're gadgets, they go in gadgets. Short of them making a thrown weapons powerset, I think thats the best course.
  • Options
    heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If there is any way we could get a skin for boomerang throw that was a Chakram I would be SO VERY HAPPY! Sorry...but, um...DO WANT! :redface:

Heh...

I'll go back to lurking now. :biggrin:
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me