Install Arc
Options

Ninja Vanish: Bugged?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's just a guess, but the only reason I can think of that they would "nerf" this acrobatics, is so that this one wouldn't be Acrobatics + Benefit. They made it Acrobatics + Benefit - Drawback. If it was Acrobatics + Benefit, then people start complaining, "Acrobatics should have this to make up for it!" "OMG PAY 2 WIN OMG OMG!"

The issue, currently, is that the drawback(s) outweigh the benefits. Things need to be adjusted up a bit. The speed needs to be increased a little, (10-15%), the heal debuff needs to be removed, and the stealth portion needs to be increased slightly.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The issue, currently, is that the drawback(s) outweigh the benefits. Things need to be adjusted up a bit. The speed needs to be increased a little, (10-15%), the heal debuff needs to be removed, and the stealth portion needs to be increased slightly.

How about this? It works exactly like Teleport, except it uses Acrobatics' speed. And like Teleport, it turns off after 5 seconds or so.

...wait, that would be really, really annoying.

IMHO, the reason why people don't call Teleport a travel power is exactly because of how long it lasts. I can't imagine using it as a primary method to get around the world. In combat however, as mentioned before, it's an amazing method to get around.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    /snip
    IMHO, the reason why people don't call Teleport a travel power/snip
    People don't call teleport a travel power?
    People say the strangest things around here...

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    People don't call teleport a travel power?
    People say the strangest things around here...

When you take it for combat applications rather than getting from point A to point B, then it shouldn't be classified as a TRAVEL power. When a TRAVEL power has better combat applications (read: stealth) than a power that's supposed to do the same thing but it does it worse, then you've got a design problem.

Let's talk about what's strange.

Did you ever have to stack a certain stat in order to stop someone from Acrobating away from you?

Did you ever use any travel power to instantly remove yourself from combat, other than Teleport?

Did you ever use a travel power, during combat, to make your targets untarget you, and at the same time, move at 100% speed by tapping your travel power, by using anything other than teleport?

When a TRAVEL power has more use as a COMBAT UTILITY, you begin to wonder why you only have to use a TRAVEL power point for it.

Teleport is as much a travel power as Evasive Maneuvers.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You guys can keep complaining about Ninja Vanish. Fact is, with teleport, mobs continue to attack me if they were already aggroed. Ninja Vanish immediately stops them from attacking, every time... every... time... Instant... It's a push button mass placate. That alone justifies it's slowness for me.

It's made less defensive builds more survivable to me. I have an Aura of Ebon Desturuction character that's using it to survive tough battles. Without Ninja Vanish I wouldn't be able to wipe out a full battle station room of DEMON set to Hard and Five Man Team settings in the powerhouse... at level 12... without Ninja Vanish with that particular build.

Versatility, Ninja Vanish has it.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    IMHO, the reason why people don't call Teleport a travel power is exactly because of how long it lasts. I can't imagine using it as a primary method to get around the world. In combat however, as mentioned before, it's an amazing method to get around.

I disagree. Teleport lets you fly for 5 seconds at rank 2. Afterwards, you can just fly again, and again, and again, and again, until you get to where you are.

Superjump, at rank 2, keeps you airborne for 4 seconds. You go up, you come down, you gotta do it again. Superjump doesn't let you drop aggro at the drop of a hat (rather, you get to bunny-hop away from your assailants while they murder you with sticks and axes and mombaju), doesn't let you fly straight up into the air for whatever reason, doesn't let you bypass an entire instance and just kill the boss (after the recent change, Superjump is even worse because you get more jump height from a tap, so being indoors is just woooooorse).

I've used Teleport (well, the lightning variation) as a primary travel power, and it's great. Too good. I can skip all the boring old mobs that mean nothing to me, turn in my missions faster, get me out of trouble, and what's the drawback? I have to be at my keyboard to keep hitting T in order to get me from A to B.

Meanwhile, HOW AWESOME IS "SNEAK"?! :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Teleport is as much a travel power as Evasive Maneuvers.
    I use teleport to get around all the time. I cant use Evasive maneuvers to travel from westside to rencen.
    Yes teleport has combat utility, But lets call a spade a spade, You cant put words in peoples mouth and say ppl dont consider Teleport as a travel power, ive been reading these forums for years and have only herd teleport refered to in the context of travel powers. Even now your talking about Teleport in a travel power thread...
    Fact is, with teleport, mobs continue to attack me if they were already aggroed. Ninja Vanish immediately stops them from attacking, every time... every... time... Instant... It's a push button mass placate. That alone justifies it's slowness for me.
    This is not a fact
    I get that you like NV, but you dont have to make things up. Ive been using Teleprt for years, but just to be extra safe, I ran alerts and ran through the power house to test your claims:
    Testing NV vs TP agro dropping in power house and in alerts:

Teleport and NV operate the same. Both allow damage to bleed through if the attack was queued up before TP/NV are activated. Basically any dmg that comes in after NV/TP is activated is server lag. When you come out of TP/NV agro resumes. The difference is that TP has a shorter duration (but we already knew that) and that NV doesn't have a cool-down.

Conclusion:
    Using NV does NOT stop attacking any faster than TP, but it allows you do what TP does in combat more often and for longer periods of time.
    None of this has any thing to do with NV as a travel power. We already have a smoke bomb active defense in this game...
    It's made less defensive builds more survivable to me. I have an Aura of Ebon Desturuction character that's using it to survive tough battles. Without Ninja Vanish I wouldn't be able to wipe out a full battle station room of DEMON set to Hard and Five Man Team settings in the powerhouse... at level 12... without Ninja Vanish with that particular build.

Versatility, Ninja Vanish has it.
    You your self acknowledge that NVs merits are not as a travel power but as an active defense. When i bought this power it was advertised as a travel power and not as an active defiance. I'm not even going to touche the obvious balance issues of a "push button mass placate" with no cool-down...

I wouldn't be as upset if i knew what i what i was getting when i made the purchase. If i knew that this power was an active defense and not a travel power, i would have saved the money. If this power was free, wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. I'm mad because i was mislead into purchasing something i didn't actual want. Isn't that why ppl were mad about grab bags?

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    If you play a dark hero, vigilante or magic user, this Travel Power is perfect. This goes especially well with the just-released Witch and Wizard costume sets,
    This paints Ninja Nanish as being a "travel power" (until now, travel powers have been about getting from point A to point B quickly and thematically) and says nothing of it being an active defense
    -nothing of the fact that its the slowest "travel" power in the game
    -that if you are taking this power primarily as a travel power and not as an active defense then its not for you
    -that its probably best served as a 2ndary travel power at lv 40.

Cryptic, as a long time customer i expect your product descriptions to be more accurate. After this i will be less quick to buy the latest item for fear that i may get something unexpected, unadvertised and nonrefundable.:frown:
    and will give you the added edge of stealth you need against Hi-Pan and his evil magic. Give it a try today!
    And this is completely FALSE, Imagine my disappointment when i bought my new travel power and entered the new alert and i cant even use it as advertised because ALL TRAVEL POWERS (including ninja vanish) ARE SUPPRESSED AGAINST HI-PAN. This power does NOT give you "the added edge of stealth you need against Hi-Pan" because you cant use it in his presence.
    /facepalm

CrypticAs a long time customer, i expect your advertisements to not make false statements selling me on things that cant actually be done in-game.:mad:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Sigma - my main, over-arcing point in all this, is that putting stealth mechanics into a travel power is bad design, when all the other travel powers get nothing anywhere near as useful.

I know that teleport is a travel power. But do you think, say, PvPers (I know this ain't a PvP thread, but it's relevant - those guys know their powers) pick Teleport because of how it looks? Because it's thematic to their characters?

No, it's because, all things considered, it's just the best.

I know Teleport and Ninja Vanish will never be removed or fixed, but the fact is, when you factor Teleport into what constitutes what should be what in a travel power, you're never going to reach "balance".

And that's why Ninja Vanish is slow. Probably.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    >_> Had second look at NV and with acro as main and NV at rank 2 Ive been able to pull off some perma stealth ****.

Will have to agree with some that say its more a combat power than a travel power.

TOP TIP : AT's wanting an extra power should get NV at 35 (after they grind for it of course :/ )
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sigma - my main, over-arcing point in all this, is that putting stealth mechanics into a travel power is bad design/snip

I pretty much agree with this whole post.
    This is why i keep complaining about how they nerfed perception gear.

I guess i got confused and thought that you were implying that Teleport justify Ninja vanish.

For clarity, i think my main over-arcing point is summed up in post #59.

EDIT:
    I just found this thread and apparently, the devs buffed perception gear on pts w/o patch notes.
    interesting...

• Options
    edited July 2012
    CrypticAs a long time customer, i expect your advertisements to not make false statements selling me on things that cant actually be done in-game.:mad:

While I agree with you that the ad is in-face deceptive, I have to disagree with the sentiment I've quoted here. As a long time customer, I expect EXACTLY false advertising from Cryptic. They have a long standing history of it, especially in regards to CO and STO. Below is a list of false advertising related grievances I have with them. This list is not complete because I am extremely tired and cannot recall everything right now.

Since the list is somewhat of a wall of text, and off topic, here is a link to a text document listing the incidents I can think of. If you wish to discuss it, lets do so in a different thread, possibly on different forums.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    As a long time customer, I expect EXACTLY false advertising from Cryptic.

LOL:tongue:.................

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I get that you like NV, but you dont have to make things up.
    So openly and bluntly calling me a liar right off the bat is not going to ingratiate me toward anything you have to say. I did not insult you. I did not call you names, or imply that you are something that if stated directly would be calling you names. I would appreciate it if you didn't do the same for me.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

That is to say that me being mistaken about TP adequately explains what I said, there is no reason to attribute malice/lying to it.

I could address all the points you raised regarding NV vs TP, but I won't. Infact, I didn't even really read them. As far as I'm concerned, the conversation, as far as it is between you and I, was over the moment you become uncivil and implied that I'm a liar. If you care to continue the conversation, make sure you bring an apology and stay civil.

If you have anything worth saying, it's worth saying without insulting people. Any further insults from you toward myself will be reported as harrassment.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    If you have anything worth saying, it's worth saying without insulting people. Any further insults from you toward myself will be reported as harrassment.
    You said something untrue and labeled it as a fact. I pointed that out, If your ego wants to interpret that as a personal attack then that's your prerogative.

I never insulted you nor was that my intention, nor do i have a reputation for doing such things or get any satisfaction out of doing so. I under stand that it was a simple mistake, but im one of those guys on the forums (and there are many) that will bring attention to false statements (intentional or unintentionally) made. If you want to report me for that be my guest.:cool:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    You said something untrue and labeled it as a fact. I pointed that out, If your ego wants to interpret that as a personal attack then that's your prerogative.

I never insulted you nor was that my intention, nor do i have a reputation for doing such things or get any satisfaction out of doing so. I under stand that it was a simple mistake, but im one of those guys on the forums (and there are many) that will bring attention to false statements (intentional or unintentionally) made. If you want to report me for that be my guest.:cool:

Really? Just in case you missed it the first time you quoted it.
    I get that you like NV, but you dont have to make things up.

Just in case you don't understand what your own words mean when others read them. To make something up is to have intention to mislead, i.e. deceive, or lie. Not only that but I quoted the whole sentence to show that not only did you imply that I'm lying, you even stated your perception of my motive for your perception of me lying. The motive being that I like NV.

If you want to reword what you said because you feel you're being misunderstood, fine. Go right on ahead. If it really is a misunderstanding, I suggest that you do some self reflection, read what you said and think about it as if someone else is saying it to you. Think about how it can be interpreted. Place yourself in other peoples shoes.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Back on track or this topic will disappear for 20 seconds...

AND NEVER COME BACK!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So I recently got one of my alts to 40 and decided to rank NV to R3. The stated run sped is like 120% of normal, which is faster than R1 super speed. I stand by my earlier statement that it's great as a second TP, but not as a primary one. I did duel someone who didn't have any perception gear, and they couldn't find me when I used NV.

I still think that NV should get a bit of a speed buff or lose the heal debuff.

What if the stealth & phase-out portions of the power were adjusted to only last, say, 5 or so seconds, and afterward it would revert to just a slightly lower speed/height than acro? It'd give you a slower start since you couldn't charge it like acro, but give you that short window of stealth.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    To make something up is to have intention to mislead, i.e. deceive, or lie.
    I disagree with you interpretation. Little kids "make stuff up" all the time without intent to deceive. That's just what happens when your not paying attention to what your saying, when you try to rationalize how you feel without doing an internal fact check.

Smackwell i don't see what the big deal is, its not like this the first thread to be derailed.
    This thread has already served its purpose and its not like the devs are reading it any way.
    /shrug

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I disagree with you interpretation. Little kids "make stuff up" all the time without intent to deceive. That's just what happens when your not paying attention to what your saying, when you try to rationalize how you feel without doing an internal fact check.

Smackwell i don't see what the big deal is, its not like this the first thread to be derailed.
    This thread has already served its purpose and its not like the devs are reading it any way.
    /shrug

Well, IIRC, Smackwell is a community moderator, so it's kinda his "thing" to remind us to keep threads on track. As for the devs reading the threads - it was never stated nor is it the primary purpose of the forums, to solicit feedback from the devs or to expect a response from them...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Well, IIRC, Smackwell is a community moderator, so it's kinda his "thing" to remind us to keep threads on track.
    I only "derailed" the thread to clear up a misunderstanding. I think if 2 ppl in a thread misunderstand each other they should be able to address the issue without threat of closing the thread before that can happen.

Also if smackwell is the mod then let him do his job.
    As for the devs reading the threads - it was never stated nor is it the primary purpose of the forums, to solicit feedback from the devs or to expect a response from them...
    I just said the devs aren't reading this thread how do you get "I solicit feedback from the devs or to expect a response from them" from that?

I sure am being misunderstood these days...

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I only "derailed" the thread to clear up a misunderstanding. I think if 2 ppl in a thread misunderstand each other they should be able to address the issue without threat of closing the thread before that can happen.

Also if smackwell is the mod then let him do his job.

I just said the devs aren't reading this thread how do you get "I solicit feedback from the devs or to expect a response from them" from that?

I sure am being misunderstood these days...

It isn't really your job to determine how to handle arguments in threads, though. As for your comment about the devs not reading the thread, it was my intention to highlight how the devs *don't* read the threads normally, so that isn't really a valid defense.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    It isn't really your job to determine how to handle arguments in threads, though. As for your comment about the devs not reading the thread, it was my intention to highlight how the devs *don't* read the threads normally, so that isn't really a valid defense.

No its not my "job" to do any thing nor do i make any clams of it. I just come here and speak my mind. you seem to think that its your job though.

I hope that you realize that by chastising me, your actually furthering the derailment of this thread.

• Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    While I agree with you that the ad is in-face deceptive, I have to disagree with the sentiment I've quoted here. As a long time customer, I expect EXACTLY false advertising from Cryptic. They have a long standing history of it, especially in regards to CO and STO. Below is a list of false advertising related grievances I have with them. This list is not complete because I am extremely tired and cannot recall everything right now.

Since the list is somewhat of a wall of text, and off topic, here is a link to a text document listing the incidents I can think of. If you wish to discuss it, lets do so in a different thread, possibly on different forums.

Been here since October, that's been my experience. Surprised I'm still around at all.
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Let me see if i've got this straight... :confused:
    Back on track or this topic will disappear for 20 seconds...
    ...You admited to derailing the thread, and were given a warning...
    I only "derailed" the thread to clear up a misunderstanding...
    Also if smackwell is the mod then let him do his job...
    ...Then when someone explained WHY smackwell commented as he did, you're defense was...
    ...Smackwell i don't see what the big deal is...
    ...When someone else explained your hypocrisy...
    It isn't really your job to determine how to handle arguments in threads though...

...You came back with a deflectional accusation of someone else doing the same thing you were doing...
    No its not my "job" to do any thing nor do i make any clams of it...
    ...I hope that you realize that by chastising me, your actually furthering the derailment of this thread.

...By once again admitting you were breaking the rules by derailing the thread, and further showing your hypocrisy :rolleyes:

Ok, now that i've got it all straight, let me get out the popcorn, and a lawn chair... :biggrin:

...Ok, go ahead, i'm ready :wink:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    ...By once again admitting you were breaking the rules by derailing the thread, and further showing your hypocrisy :rolleyes:
    You call me a hypocrite for derailing a thread even as you derail the same thread and lunch personal attacks.

hypocrite:
    a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    -dictionary.com

In the mean time i haven't contradicted my self, and my values (or lack there of) are consistent with my words.

You do the math.:wink:
    ...Ok, go ahead, i'm ready :wink:
    Then after you personal attack you sit back and encourage me to retaliate.

You make it clear in you post that your intent is to criticize me and provoke me and not continue the original conversation. What good could you possibly hope to achieve here other than contributing to get this thread closed?

The only reason im still responding in this thread is because ppl keep talking to me about nothing. If you-all would just leave me alone this thread could naturally go back on track or fade away.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    DAMMIT Jim! I'm a moderator, not a magician!
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.