test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.30.20120706a.5 PTS Update

Comments

• spiritbrandspiritbrand Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I find it telling that anyone is asking for a power to be nerfed who hasn't lost to it in PvP.
    Okay that's fair. I don't recall your opinion swaying in the last thread so if it did; then that's cool.

Then I'll be the stubborn one and shut my trap as I've said my piece and it hasn't changed in the latest patch. It's not like it matters much.

I am for the highlighted of this however. :smile: Provided that a separation was to happen.

Link
    Link

BUG: Some times when i attempt to Shadow strike with energy above equilibrium, i get an error message that says i dont have enough energy. Some times spamming the button or doing something else and trying again will fix it. Im not exactly sure what causes it.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ...You couldn't make up your mind and pick one? :I

Welcome to old school Cryptic. Nerf herders cry about everything, and Cryptic nerfs proportionate to the amount of nerf herding, and nothing is done to buff the weak parts that weren't that great to begin with.

Of course, they only do this to things that are unpopular, or if they are popular they wait a really, really long time. If Sneak actually functioned as well as other less stealth dedicated invisibility options, and was used by a good deal of players as a result, you can bet NW wouldn't have gotten half the nerfs it did just by being related to it.

We were about two inches from having our own version of Stalkers. And before someone asks, yes I am skeptical they wont just push this live without finishing what they started.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It might be interesting if sneak would "suppress" when giving/taking damage and "unsuppress" after a set time instead of having to keep turning it back on. That's how it worked in COX and it was more user friendly.

Of course this would make it unable to be affected by cooldown reduction so the recharge time may need adjusting in that case.

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited July 2012
    It might be interesting if sneak would "suppress" when giving/taking damage and "unsuppress" after a set time instead of having to keep turning it back on. That's how it worked in COX and it was more user friendly.

Of course this would make it unable to be affected by cooldown reduction so the recharge time may need adjusting in that case.

This is in fact how it should work, and on top of that it should offer some of the highest power stealth in the game.

As it stands, either NW needs to be a functional stealth based passive, and as such Sneak needs to carry out its purpose well, or it needs to function in a way that meshes with the current version of Sneak we have.

You can't have the downsides of both and none of the upsides of either, there was a REASON Stalkers were damn near invisible to everything, including other players that weren't stacking excessive amounts of +perc. Heck, it didn't even end there: Sneak gave soft capped AoE dodge bonus whenever it was active, to prevent the Stalker from being knocked out of stealth by random AoE before he could get his AS off.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • purg777purg777 Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Have you even tested the new stuff? I know sigma has.
  • cabgoldcabgold Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am out of town and unable to test but here are my thoughts

The new sneak mechanic requires a lot of setup after you use it once. Compare this to unleashed rage which has minimal set up, 8 stacks of enrage, hits as an woe and Frits for about the same as Strike does now. The recharge time on unleashed rage isn't bad either. H

With sneak mechanics, I takes a lot of effort to reset sneak. Not worth it when you compare it to unleashed rage

Minimize effort to get sneak up by adding advantages to things like smoke grenade, gas arrow and pellets etc that drop threat or reapply sneak.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    About the new drifter mission, I do not think the current number of red cult mob teams is enough to fit with live's population. To few of them.

I understand what it gives and all, but still. Give people a fair chance, and not a daily that is neigh impossible to do because of to few mobs when 100s of people (if not 1000s) will be hunting them. After all, Silver Players are not going to be the only ones hunting them.

And just a random thought, but maybe some kind of weekly rotation for the grab bags, including drifter missions?
  • dagconfaraday#1221 dagconfaraday Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Link
    Link

BUG: Some times when i attempt to Shadow strike with energy above equilibrium, i get an error message that says i dont have enough energy. Some times spamming the button or doing something else and trying again will fix it. Im not exactly sure what causes it.

Oh yeah I did! Go figure. :cool: Have no idea about the last link though.

The guy who formally posted as @Sky_Commander. Now posts as: "劫"
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    oyo32 wrote: »
    Hey Cryptic isn't there a certain powerset you said you would look at if it was underperforming after the Form changes?

:v
    hexcaster wrote: »
    Yeah, hopefully right after they take a long look at telepathy and hold mechanics first.
    Might: Hey Cryptic, I think you owe us a little something!
    Telepathy: Get in line, buddy.

LOL if they actually touch telepathy and buff it to decent levels I would be suprised...it is one of the worst, if not THE worst powerset in game. It has no passive, no block, and it's damage is not that great when compared to other sets. Its crowd control abilities have been blown up and out of the water...CC gear has no effect on my holding capabilities as my Mind AT and I have heard Manipulator is not worth bothering about. The Hold Mechanics in this game DO need to be looked at as a lvl 20 can break out of my Ego Sleep with no trouble within 5 or so seconds and I have above 340 PRE and + CC str gear.. There have been countless suggestions made by other players and then myself after going gold for a bit to see if I was missing out telepathy wise...answer was no.

I think damage potential needs help, heals need a buff as my Mind AT is severely outshined by the Radiant AT. I think some sort of psychic/Astral Rez is in order for this powerset, Telepathic/Psychic Mind Reader passive which enhances damage, defense, dodge/avoidance and CC str. Mental Block/Psychic block needed.

I am totally thrilled by all the work and changes done to lots of powersets and new powersets which do great damage and all the new content and gear etc is awesome but alot of the old stuff which still remains has been neglected...this has to change.

Check the forums over again and you will see that there are loads of threads dedicated to telepathy as well as other powersets.

Thank you for reading my mini rant...:p
  • theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    telepathy is a joke, simply put

might dosent feel mighty

and right inline with them is sorcery. the Auras are nice yes, but i want to be able to have awesome skills that a sorcerer could have, outside skarns bane i.e. energy unlock, offensive/defensive passives, more CC effects, and some other attacks that compete with teh damage rates of other frameworks in general

/rant
  • blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cabgold wrote: »
    I am out of town and unable to test but here are my thoughts

The new sneak mechanic requires a lot of setup after you use it once. Compare this to unleashed rage which has minimal set up, 8 stacks of enrage, hits as an woe and Frits for about the same as Strike does now. The recharge time on unleashed rage isn't bad either. H

With sneak mechanics, I takes a lot of effort to reset sneak. Not worth it when you compare it to unleashed rage

Minimize effort to get sneak up by adding advantages to things like smoke grenade, gas arrow and pellets etc that drop threat or reapply sneak.

Well, removing the friggin 1 second chargetime on SStrike might remedy the situation...That suggestion was a rather bad one, as SStrike became uncrittable, meaning that massive damage has dropped considerable, its now ~20k hits or less consitently, this is appropriate for an assassin attack, but it takes WAY TOO LONG to get off because of the charge time.
    edited July 2012
    More news from the wild (Mechanical Menace help a citizen mission Elite)
    Even in a non AP instanced Elite mission Mob perception is still a problem (see previous post).

Nerfed Shadow strike:
    The cooldown on Shadow strike is problematic.
    1. If you attempt to squeeze in a Shadow strike but get hit, you do next to no damage and the power goes on cool down. Honestly i would prefer is Shadow Strike only worked (and thus would only go on cooldown) if it successfully connects from sneak.
    Shadow strike w/o sneak is a complete waste.

2. Even if you manage to get a shadow strike off, the cooldown wont allow you to use it again for some time. There are many high ranking mobs i would like to shadow strike in each spawn, but i don't get to shadow strike often enough to feel like an assassin.

3. With Shadow Strikes lowered dmg, the cooldown starts to look unreasonable.
    Lets use the "imposter" Roin'esh master villain from the beginning of Whiteout: Ice Station Alpaca as a real world test dummy. At lv 25 on elite he has 9.9k hp
    EX:Your Shadow Strike deals 6369 (7962) Slashing Damage to Sgt. Blair. on a 1 min 8 sec cooldown.
    I wasn't even able to 1 shot him.

When compared to this Imbued Dragons Claws from sneak:
    Your Dragon's Claws deals 3873 (4497) Slashing Damage to Sgt. Blair.
    I have imbue on a 23 sec cooldown

Suggestion1:
    Since Imbued DC from sneak can do about 1/2 shadow strikes damage every 23 secs, Shadow strikes cooldown should be no more x2 that of of imbue. On my build that would put our hypothetical Shadow Strike at around 46 sec cooldown. Or...

Suggestion2:
    Every time you successfully attack from sneak, Shadow Strikes Cooldown is reduced by 15 secs.
    This would encourage non shadow strike sneaking (which isn't very rewarding atm).

Using Sneak in combat:
    cabgold wrote: »
    The new sneak mechanic requires a lot of setup after you use it once.

You hit the nail on the head.
    Sneak doesn't make you invisible, it just makes you slightly less noticeable. Entering sneak in combat is more about the dmg buff than the "stealth".

Currently you have to go through a lot just to be able to enter sneak in combat and have a chance at getting the dmg buff.
    Martial Arts: Night Warrior: This new passive increases all damage and grants the use of the Sneak power. Some powers gain an additional secondary benefit when used while sneaking.
    We need this pronto.
    Suggestions:
    Evasive maneuvers needs an advantage that puts you in sneak state.
    Ego placate needs an advantage that puts you in sneak state
    Smoke bomb needs an advantage that puts you in sneak state.

edited July 2012
    kaizerin wrote: »
    It's still doable,
    Doable but not practical.
    Landing Shadow Strike + Sneak in combat is more about luck than skill or timing and as the difficulty slider (mob perception) goes up you chances go way down. It got to the point where i just said forget Shadow strike and just started using Sneak+boomerang throw.

• rafahil893rafahil893 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yep, Shadow Strike's cooldown is too much. It could use something like the 2 smoking barrels advantage like maybe lowering the cooldown faster and faster the longer you are in stealth(a variable cooldown) or what Sigma suggested.

It shouldn't ever go in cooldown if it didn't work.
    edited July 2012
    Absolutely nothing to do with mob perception and everything to do with timing and understanding attack patterns of an enemy.

Woah, be careful speaking in absolutes.
    How can you say that Mob perception has absolutely nothing to do with "stealth" melee alpha strikes that fail if you take damage?

edited July 2012
    Absolutely nothing to do with mob perception and everything to do with timing and understanding attack patterns of an enemy.

It has everything to do with mob perception. The whole damn idea of stealth is to NOT be seen, I should have full rights to be invisible to mobs even on elite, with sneak, ONCE AGAIN I WILL PUSH MY IDEAS OF SNEAK, one, Sneak granting a static, high amount of perception/aggression stealth, two, Sneak becoming PASSIVE, so it can't be toggled and retoggled every 15 seconds incombat, unless you complete certain conditions. (not being hit or deal damage for 2-4 seconds). AND SEPERATE SNEAK FROM ******N NIGHT WARRIOR
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It has everything to do with mob perception. The whole damn idea of stealth is to NOT be seen, I should have full rights to be invisible to mobs even on elite, with sneak, ONCE AGAIN I WILL PUSH MY IDEAS OF SNEAK, one, Sneak granting a static, high amount of perception/aggression stealth, two, Sneak becoming PASSIVE, so it can't be toggled and retoggled every 15 seconds incombat, unless you complete certain conditions. (not being hit or deal damage for 2-4 seconds). AND SEPERATE SNEAK FROM ******N NIGHT WARRIOR

Lol Ryder.

Btw, elite doesn't impact their perception, toughness does ;) Just try teleporting through any lair unscathed.
  • calapsarcalapsar Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    -charge speed bonus suggestion
    It would be nice to add this bonus to toggle forms, for example, such as Concentration, approximately of 4-5% per stack. I think it is logical.
    Or add this bonus to Targeting Computer, for example, 30%...:rolleyes:
  • thesoulstarthesoulstar Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Not sure I would want sneak to be a passive. Would much rather it be a toggle form with the said conditions, but we shall see what the devs decide on there. Now separating sneak from NW? Very much agreed. But I think this says a little more what I'm thinking
    rafahil893 wrote: »
    Stealth should be built into Night Warrior just like with Shadowform and Sneak should be your power to get back into stealth while in combat with maybe a 5 second cooldown as long as you are not attacked or attack yourself.

Make the passive squishier if you must, at least it'll be in line with its theme.

(The whole point of an assassin type class is to remain hidden and when you are spotted you are usually dead, it seems they are trying to go for this but are not getting it right.)
    This actually makes a bit more sense given that seems to be nearly exactly what the devs are going for in terms of how they would suggest for you to play NW.

I still feel like alot of others have noted that shadow strike as well as sneak should be seperated from the passive as well and be their own thing, unless the devs decide to include this package powers deal with a few other passives to get in line with it so it wouldn't at least be the only one.
    On Call site found here: Project On Call

On Call FAQ found here:On Call FAQ
    edited July 2012
    I am still able to get off SS's in combat with an enemy engaged and attacking me. Seems pretty cut and dry.

If there had been minions on the side attacking you, that wouldn't have worked.

I'm referring to situations when your swimming in mobs ranking from minion to master villain, not soloing legendarys.

Soloing legendarys isn't a good balance point for average general game play.

• kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    If there had been minions on the side attacking you, that wouldn't have worked.

I'm referring to situations when your swimming in mobs ranking from minion to master villain, not soloing legendarys.

Soloing legendarys isn't a good balance point for average general game play.

Technically you still could, but you would need to invest in shields like Mindful Reinforcement. But I'm wondering why you would use SS in mob combat anyways, seems grossly inefficient to using an AE power. I'm testing it against bosses because that's the situation in which it would be appropriate to use the power.
    edited July 2012
    Technically you still could, but you would need to invest in shields like Mindful Reinforcement. But I'm wondering why you would use SS in mob combat anyways, seems grossly inefficient to using an AE power. I'm testing it against bosses because that's the situation in which it would be appropriate to use the power.

So your saying that if you Mindful Reinforcement can prevent sneak from droping? If so, i may have another round of testing to do.

It seems like we have divergent views as to whats the "appropriate" use of shadow strike. In my view, 1 shotting villains master villains and maybe enforcers is the more obvious use of the power. IMHO i would prefer to use SS throughout resistance and not just on shadow destroyer.
    Basically i would use it the same way Assassin strike gets used in cox.

At any rate, when its "appropriate" to to use SS is subjective but you spend more time killing mobs than bosses and its fair to assume that many players will want to use their signiture move in a more general way and not just in climactic battles.

edited July 2012
    It is reasonable to do so:
    Sneak: separate toggle form, which every 3 seconds adds a stack of .. stealth (reducing the chance for enemies to see you, etc.), according to rank, 3/6/8. Take or make damage resets all stacks. Also Sneak provides a permanent bonus to .. Avoidance.
    Shadow Strike: separate melee attack, with a good damage at one target, which does not break invisibility directly, but absorbs all the stacks of stealth, receiving bonus armor penetration for each. (the animation should take from Resistance Colossus, when it pierces your mega destroid by blow of one hand).
    Night Warrior: just return the original values of bonuses.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    calapsar wrote: »
    It is reasonable to do so:
    Sneak: separate toggle form, which every 3 seconds adds a stack of .. stealth (reducing the chance for enemies to see you, etc.), according to rank, 3/6/8. Take or make damage resets all stacks. Also Sneak provides a permanent bonus to .. Avoidance.
    Shadow Strike: separate melee attack, with a good damage at one target, which does not break invisibility directly, but absorbs all the stacks of stealth, receiving bonus armor penetration for each. (the animation should take from Resistance Colossus, when it pierces your mega destroid by blow of one hand).

So make it overpowered again. :rolleyes:
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    So your saying that if you Mindful Reinforcement can prevent sneak from droping? If so, i may have another round of testing to do.

It seems like we have divergent views as to whats the "appropriate" use of shadow strike. In my view, 1 shotting villains master villains and maybe enforcers is the more obvious use of the power. IMHO i would prefer to use SS throughout resistance and not just on shadow destroyer.
    Basically i would use it the same way Assassin strike gets used in cox.

At any rate, when its "appropriate" to to use SS is subjective but you spend more time killing mobs than bosses and its fair to assume that many players will want to use their signiture move in a more general way and not just in climactic battles.

As long as the bubble doesn't break, taking damage shouldn't interrupt you. This also works for getting glowies with mobs on you.

As for uses, if there's a high ranked enemy in a mob...ae down the underlings first then focus your fire. I find it incredibly silly that players expect abilities to be appropriate for every situation, they shouldn't be and you should have tools for different jobs. You can use SS all through Resistance...just clear out the little mobs first before tackling anything with high hit points.

As for City of...I'm not going to sub to the game to unlock my stalker and recheck, but if I recall correctly taking damage while using Assassin Strike interrupted you...which is not different here.
    edited July 2012
    Technically you still could, but you would need to invest in shields like Mindful Reinforcement.

It seems your correct, although Im not convinced that the way shields and sneak interact is working as intended.
    For those who dont know:

Defensive Bubbles + Sneak:
    If you turn on sneak and then activate a bubble power (protection field, Mindful reinforcement, field surge, maybe devices?), taking damage will not deactivate sneak. You can then use shadow strike even under heavy fire.

BUG?

EDIT:
    i haven't tried this out side of the PH and i don't know if its a bad thing, If this is working as intended, i wish we had a more thematically appropriate option than bubbles.
    As it stands, Bubbles would be a key power for NW but big glowing bubbles just don't scream "Night Warrior" to me.

edited July 2012
    As long as the bubble doesn't break, taking damage shouldn't interrupt you. This also works for getting glowies with mobs on you.

As for uses, if there's a high ranked enemy in a mob...ae down the underlings first then focus your fire. I find it incredibly silly that players expect abilities to be appropriate for every situation, they shouldn't be and you should have tools for different jobs. You can use SS all through Resistance...just clear out the little mobs first before tackling anything with high hit points.

As for City of...I'm not going to sub to the game to unlock my stalker and recheck, but if I recall correctly taking damage while using Assassin Strike interrupted you...which is not different here.

As i said, when to use SS is subjective, i wont try to change your opinion on that. Just don't try to convince me that they way you interpret it is the only way it should be.

Yes sneak breaks on taking dmg on COX but if you dodge it wont break (especially if you pop an active defense). Then there's placate.
    Over all, in cox your Assassin strike is on a way shorter cooldown, is way easier to use in combat due to sneak not suppressing if you dodge and having placate. Further more you can Alpha strike on any difficulty level. Its COXs ease of use and user friendliness that im looking for here.

edited July 2012

Nope, the numbers Crush brought it down to bring the actual passive portion inline with the other passives out there. The others are slightly above it and that is what Crush intended. I leave the rest to Crush and the rest of the devs to decide on the fate of the sneak/SS portion.
    edited July 2012
    I do not insist, I'm interested in this more:cool:
    edited October 2015
    Just because im using COX as an example i hope i don't give the impression that im saying "make it like COX" That just seemed like the easiest comparison because stalker mechanics were clearly defined with appropriate tool tips. I guess the point im trying to make is that the mechanics imho still feel clunky and that the way powers interact with sneak dont feel like intentional game-play mechanics (bubbles).

Its kind of like The old rage of majesty builds, that build "worked", but it was more a product of player imagination than dev design.
    Dark transfusion and life drain are clearly designed to work together. Its that kind of tight synergy with tool tip explanations that I'm looking for in the relationship between sneak and relevant powers, in and out of combat.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

edited July 2012
    I do not insist, I'm interested in this more:cool:

Yes, lets give the best form in the game a buff, of course, thats completely logical. :P
    edited July 2012
    Yes, lets give the best form in the game a buff, of course, thats completely logical. :P

Than you concentrate more the faster you have all of charge. Also about heals, controls, enrages and MA-guys.
    edited July 2012
    Crush is very hesitant on Charge speed, which is why i was suprised he put it on NW to begin with. There is always AoAC :cool:
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Aha, to me City of is a horrible mess of hackneyed coding, terrible game decisions (they don't balance powers around damage, activation time and cost. Purely aesthetics), biased class balancing, stiff gameplay and awful encounters. I wish for CO to have absolutely nothing to do with City of's gameplay.

I have three powers for you as a response:

Cleave, devour essence, and Epidemic.

Yeah, champions is the poster child of game balance. :rolleyes:

Btw, the CoX devs gave out, their power design formulas to the community, looking forward to when Cryptic does the same.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
    edited July 2012
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    I have three powers for you as a response:

Cleave, devour essence, and Epidemic.

Yeah, champions is the poster child of game balance. :rolleyes:

Btw, the CoX devs gave out, their power design formulas to the community, looking forward to when Cryptic does the same.

Uh, no they never gave the power design formulas out. Community figured it otu after sometime of tinkering around. :rolleyes:
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2012
    Uh, no they never gave the power design formulas out. Community figured it otu after sometime of tinkering around. :rolleyes:
    Ok then let's do Cleave vs say Reapers touch or shred....

What can we derive about Cryptic's Power design formulas by looking at these two powers.

My conclusion is that they don't have one.
    edited July 2012
    Ok there is no doubt that Bubbles are a nice complement to sneak but i just cant get over how unthematic it is for a ninja to be encased in a giant glowing ball....:frown:

This made me wish there was a damage absorption shield similar to protection field/ Mindful reinforcement but without the unstealthy visual FX. With that i mind i humbly suggest...

Suggestion:
    Martial Arts: Iron Shirt Chi Kung: This new power absorbs attacks made against the usser similar to protection field and mindful reinforcement. This power can only be cast on self and is not a support power. When using Iron Shirt Chi Kung, being attacked will not cause the sneak buff to drop.

Background on Iron Shirt Chi Kung:
    Iron Shirt Chi Kung as as explained here and demonstrated here Is a martial arts technique that is comparible to damage absorption shields.

Theme:
    This suggestion is thematically in line with Nighthawks martial arts/gatgets theme. Also Batman uses secrete MA techniques similar to this. This power will allow players to be "Night Warriors" without glowing in the dark.:wink:

• sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok there is no doubt that Bubbles are a nice complement to sneak but i just cant get over how unthematic it is for a ninja to be encased in a giant glowing ball....:frown:

This made me wish there was a damage absorption shield similar to protection field/ Mindful reinforcement but without the unstealthy visual FX. With that i mind i humbly suggest...

Suggestion:
    Martial Arts: Iron Shirt Chi Kung: This new power absorbs attacks made against the usser similar to protection field and mindful reinforcement. This power can only be cast on self and is not a support power. When using Iron Shirt Chi Kung, being attacked will not cause the sneak buff to drop.

Background on Iron Shirt Chi Kung:
    Iron Shirt Chi Kung as as explained here and demonstrated here Is a martial arts technique that is comparible to damage absorption shields.

Theme:
    This suggestion is thematically in line with Nighthawks martial arts/gatgets theme. Also Batman uses secrete MA techniques similar to this. This power will allow players to be "Night Warriors" without glowing in the dark.:wink:

The last thing we need is ANOTHER bubble... You can already totally remove all challenge from the game by spamming MR + PF double bubbles for 10,000-15,000 (depending on gear) shields on a healer.

Before they even think about adding more damage shielding of any kind to the game they need to beat the ever living you know what out of the current bubbles with the nerf flail, just like they did to bionic shielding with it applying the debuff preventing it from being applied again for a static period of time.

TL;DR: No more stacking bubbles, it's ridiculously overpowered as it is.

Snark never dies.
    edited October 2015
    wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Someone doesn't remember the ET nerfs, or I13 PvP changes. CoX devs were LEGENDARY for nerfing based on spreadsheets. It also wasn't uncommon that certain things were left gimp (or occasionally OP) because they looked alright on paper despite being broken in concept. Invulnerability and regeneration I'm looking at you. Heck, even the community thought Regen was "good," thanks to that idiot Arcanaville painting pretty but incorrect pictures with math and making what was the equivalent of PH 5 man videos showing why it was "good." So not only did that game have the devs being pants on head retarded in that respect, but the community too.

Also, since you don't seem to know a damn thing about how CoV Stalkers worked, let me refresh your memory:

Hide had what was probably the highest stealth in the game. Enemies that were something like thirty levels over you could see you, Rikti Drones could see you and... That was about it. You could hump the Freedom Phalanx's face during the LRSF as a Stalker and not be attacked. For other players to see you, they needed +perc IOs and a powerset that granted built in +perc, and that was considering the Stalker wasn't stacking more stealth on top of that.

Furthermore, Hide gave HILARIOUSLY large amounts of AoE dodge when invisible, to the point where sticking a few defense enhancements in Hide put you at the soft cap, which meant you had a little more than a 5% chance to be knocked out of an AS attempt (usually around 7%) by most enemies. Heck, I watched a stalker AS a Fire controller with Hotfeet running once, that would be the equivalent of landing an interruptible melee charge attack on someone running Hurricane in CO.

Oh- And Placate DID work on AVs, for the record. Which meant every time it was off CD you were pretty much guaranteed an AS in a boss fight.

Now I'm gonna go ahead here and point out, once again, with ALL THIS Stalkers were still considered UP until they got significant buffs. That is correct, all of this information here is accurate prior to the big Stalker buff patch that gave them crits for having more teammates around, AoE -accuracy and Fear on their AS and some other stuff I can't remember off hand.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

edited July 2012
    The last thing we need is ANOTHER bubble...
    TL;DR: No more stacking bubbles, it's ridiculously overpowered as it is.

Then don't let it stack with other bubbles. Technically not a bubble any way.

Do you have a better way of addressing the issues of sneak+bubbles?

• rafahil893rafahil893 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Bubbles shouldn't be the answer for a ninja. It should not work with bubbles and unbreakable, provided the devs find a better way regarding SS in combat.
    edited July 2012
    Ok then let's do Cleave vs say Reapers touch or shred....

What can we derive about Cryptic's Power design formulas by looking at these two powers.

My conclusion is that they don't have one.

Cast time versus energy cost. The two major deciding factors. But I guess that escaped a lot of people. Other factors include if it roots or not, penalties that are in the power and other stipulations.

But really, you didn't want to hear that, because you think there is no rhyme or reason.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Did the forum suddenly get pop ups? With some words underlined?
    edited July 2012
    rafahil893 wrote: »
    Bubbles shouldn't be the answer for a ninja. It should not work with bubbles and unbreakable, provided the devs find a better way regarding SS in combat.

I forgot about unbreakable
    /facepalm

Well im interested to see what the next patch will bring.

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok, so I finally got around to doing some testing w/ the new powers. First, I want to say that I'm always happy to see new powers added to the game. Now, here are my thoughts:

1. I like that you guys added a boomerang EB, but it really needs to have an animation that's a little different than the regular throw boomerang power. Perhaps have it do the arm motion w/o the full follow-through of the actual throw boomerang power. It should also get a custom advantage - perhaps a % chance to bounce to another target or something.

2. The main throw boomerang power is fine. Maybe give it an advantage that makes the boomerangs explosive or something.

3. Boomerang cone, IMO, needs to have it's cone narrowed and should be made into a maintain. Make it like a 50 foot, 60 degree cone. Perhaps give it an advantage where it can knock down or repel enemies.

4. Bolas - I like the "wind up and throw" animation on this one. Perhaps give it an advantage like tanglecoil launcher, where it does continuous damage to the held enemy, (which doesn't weaken the hold itself).

5. Smoke bomb lunge - seems to be a nice "ninja vanish" type of lunge. The only thing I'd add to it is the ability for the smoke cloud to take a hue.

6. Gas pellets - I don't quite know what's wrong w/ it, but it seems to let me throw the pellets from further away so it doesn't reach the enemy. Did I mistake this for a targeted power when it's actually a PBAoE that you can cast anywhere? Maybe this could get an advantage that grants a chance at wiping your threat, like evasive maneuvers.

7. Strafing run - I like the concept of this, but all it seems to do is to drop some more smoke pellets then display some little explosion animations - not very exciting. I do like that we're getting an actual targeting reticle, though. Let's see the jet that does the flyby!

8. Nightwarrior - There's already been so much said about this power. I think it's cool that it gives you the assassin strike and stealth abilities, but I feel that the stealth portion should be automatic - just give it the 15 sec cooldown if you come out of stealth in combat, and have it reapply stealth if you haven't taken damage for 15 secs. I'm not a huge fan of the animation you chose for the stealth strike - I would have preferred the animation from burning chi fist.

9. Grappling gun - it's basically a reskin of iron lariot. Have it use a gadgeteering pistol instead of the open hand or w/e it's using now. I'd also say to give it a custom advantage - something that perhaps electrifies the cable, thus dealing electrical damage and perhaps stunning the enemy.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2012
    Well, I will remember this nextime you talk about how under powered beastial is. I really think that cleave ridiculously out matches pretty much every other combo power in the game (maybe ego weaponry as an exception) but I guess it's balanced!

Taking a meal from a wolf's mouth and all that.
  • xaadexaade Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    -charge speed bonus suggestion
    It would be nice to add this bonus to toggle forms, for example, such as Concentration, approximately of 4-5% per stack. I think it is logical.
    Or add this bonus to Targeting Computer, for example, 30%...:rolleyes:

They could entirely make a passive out of charge speed and energy cost reduction and nothing else.

That's how power charge speed is.
    edited July 2012
    Well, I will remember this nextime you talk about how under powered beastial is. I really think that cleave ridiculously out matches pretty much every other combo power in the game (maybe ego weaponry as an exception) but I guess it's balanced!

Taking a meal from a wolf's mouth and all that.

Well since I don't and say the set isn't a complete set to begin with and only look for parity with other sets and similar abilities, I will be sure to point out that you need to stop reaching. While cleave is a powerful ability, no doubt about that, what made it really overpowered was aggressor, as well. Each swing of Cleave has an increased cast time associated with it and it roots, which while Might users will continuously disagree is why they lost some of their damage (and will continuously keep claiming there was a universal nerf done when aggressor was added), is a factor in deciding if a power gets increased damage or not, and it is no where near as ridiculous as it use to be with aggressor.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2012
    List of factors (that I know of) that determines damage output of a power;
    - Cast time (longer cast time, higher damage)
    - Energy cost (greater energy cost, higher damage)
    - Targets (more targets potentially hit, less damage)
    - Area (greater area covered, less damage)
    - Knock Immunity (if the power knocks and the target is knock immune, higher damage)
    - Rooting (if the power roots, higher damage)
    - Cooldown time (if the power generally has a cooldown on it, it generally does higher damage)
    - Special conditions (If the power requires special condition to have an effect, generally higher damage, such as Force Cascade and Unleashed rage)
    - Melee or Ranged (is the power have a range greater than 10 feet, then lower damage)

There's probably a couple others in there, but that's the majority of the ones that players will encounter as far as concerns how the general damage is calculated. Other factors can include that player base stamped their feet and screamed loud enough that the devs finally relented and changed how a power performed without changing the general conditions.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS