test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Very Poor Timing Cryptic

falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
Absolutely brilliant! Not only are you on your way to region banning all of Russia, but now to unlock Flag Speed we're forced to run the Red Winter alert where we have to defeat Russians!

I think Cryptic forgot that CO is an international game...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by falchoin on

Comments

• pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I noticed that too. A little bit... inconvenient. Let us beat up nazis instead. Juryrig's time machine is gathering dust anyway.
  • bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    falchoin wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant! Not only are you on your way to region banning all of Russia, but now to unlock Flag Speed we're forced to run the Red Winter alert where we have to defeat Russians!

You do realize that this game is based on a PnP game with the Lore already written, right? Cryptic didn't invent Red Winter, they simply put it in the game. Not only that, its PWE that had the regions banned, most likely for legal reasons. And another thing! This game is internation, but takes place mainly in the US. In case you didn't know, Soviet Russia was seen as an enemy of the US for a very long time.

PS- The Red Winter Alert isn't new. It was here before they banned Russia.

EDIT:
    Let us beat up nazis instead. Juryrig's time machine is gathering dust anyway.

I agree. This game needs some nazi enemies.
  • mavryckemavrycke Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bdragon4co wrote: »
    You do realize that this game is based on a PnP game with the Lore already written, right? Cryptic didn't invent Red Winter, they simply put it in the game. Not only that, its PWE that had the regions banned, most likely for legal reasons. And another thing! This game is internation, but takes place mainly in the US. In case you didn't know, Soviet Russia was seen as an enemy of the US for a very long time.

EDIT:

I think the point was that you need to be at up the russians to get an american flag travel power. It has nothing to do with who invented what. And it has nothing to do with legal reasons, but rather because those are high fraud areas.
  • dagconfaraday#1221 dagconfaraday Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What they could do is have Soviet Guard drop a Superspeed version of the U.S.S.R. flag.

or.

Next June 22nd, have the same mission but drop the new "Russian" flag ver. of Superspeed for beating up on Red Winter.

Which in either case it would be everyone beating up on Red Winter regardless.

(I personally go for the former cause I find the U.S.S.R. flag more interesting FX wise.)

The guy who formally posted as @Sky_Commander. Now posts as: "劫"
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bdragon4co wrote: »

Be that as it may its still bad timing. And its not like Cryptic has ever been particularly true to the Champions IP or even taken the game's story seriously.

EDIT:

And yet we now have a mission to defeat Russians to show our American might, immediately after Russians are banned from the forums (along with other regions) and have a looming ban from the game on the horizon. This isn't about Red Winter being in Champions lore or when the Alert first released. This is about how our reward-driven goal, immediately following all this controversy involving Russia and other regions, is to punch a cliched group of baddy Russians in the face so we can display our flag-dragging superspeed.

Given all we've had as a response regarding the region ban that I have seen is a standard "We know there's an issue, be patient please" - which is what we had months ago, as well - this doesn't seem like the best of times to emphasize Russians getting a beating for an event.

@Kurbee - Join date: Nov 09. Interested in costume contests? Join the 'Contests' channel to see advertisements for CC's occurring every day.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What beating up Russians give you an American flag power....American flag travel power yeah Capt America style chest beating in a classic comic trope and its July the 4th soon and its an American game I get that.

But beating up Russians to get it seems a bit off Capt American wouldnt beat up the Titanium Man just to get a flag he would buy a flag made in the US to help local business just saying thats whut he'd do :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • craybesttcraybestt Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I agree it's awful timing but I don't think there's much to do in there. There isn't anything more Silver-age-american-superhero-comic-like than to slap some russians back to their motherland. Other than maybe some communist China beating? Which wouldn't solve anything considering China is also banned for now...
    That doesn't excuse the extremely poor timing and zero sensibility to what's happening now, of course.
    There was a reason they removed the:
    "Helicopter-saved-by-webbing-between-the-world-trade-center"
    scene in the Spiderman movie right after 9-11...

...Bad Taste :mad:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you have to beat Koreans in the next alert, then these conspiracy theories have maybe a point :rolleyes:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    yeah, but Red Winter are delusional Russians ... they think the CCCP can return.

Sort of like the delusional Russians who thought "lifetime" meant "as long as the servers are running."

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There was a reason they removed the:
    "Helicopter-saved-by-webbing-between-the-world-trade-center"
    scene in the Spiderman movie right after 9-11...

...Bad Taste :mad:

I always thought they should have left that in It always seemed wrong to me the way all the film and TV companies scrambled to remove any trace of the towers from there products.
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I always thought they should have left that in It always seemed wrong to me the way all the film and TV companies scrambled to remove any trace of the towers from there products.
    They removed it from the theatrical ver.
    But put it in in the "uncut" ver released to DVD.

Pure Politics :rolleyes:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    falchoin wrote: »

Oh my goodness, superheroes fighting classic comic book communist super villains is now a faux pas.

Anyone that takes offense to this trope has no sense of humor.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, y'know, some folks just have to look for something new to be offended about.

Me, I'm still busy being offended over the whole region-ban thing in the first place...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They removed it from the theatrical ver.
    But put it in in the "uncut" ver released to DVD.

Pure Politics :rolleyes:

Yea I know its just the idea of removing them from films because they were destroyed in a act of terror that killed people seems far more offensive than leaving them in there. But Im not US so
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh my goodness, superheroes fighting classic comic book communist super villains is now a faux pas.

Anyone that takes offense to this trope has no sense of humor.

Agreed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • ziploc332ziploc332 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I didn't think all Russians were bad guys...we have the Purple Gang, they have Red Winter.
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I had some trouble with some of the stereotypical villains in CO until I realized it was parody. Cryptic studios and the Champions IP aren't really saying that Russians are like Red Winter or Asians are like Hi Pan. If anything, they are making fun of those stereotypical villains. Satire is hard to understand sometimes, so it's easy to get upset.

Personally, I had an Asian friend who I got to play CO with me. He was really enjoying it until we got up to Hi Pan in the first few missions and Hi Pan couldn't pronounce "Millennium City." He said he didn't like it and quit playing. No big drama or anything, just switch to another game. Still can't get him to try CO again.

I think it's okay to have these characters in the game, I just wish they weren't focused on so much. The Red Winter Alert is over-the-top IMHO and a good parody of some of the nonsense I grew up with and I really enjoy it.
  • roundhousekittyroundhousekitty Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also worth noting that Soviet Russia and Modern Russia is not the same thing. I very much doubt most actual, modern Russians would feel much sympathy for Hammer and Sickle-wearing terrorists. Just like Germans would most likely not identify with Nazi-terrorists, or you americans with confederate flag-wearing terrorists.

There is a distinction, but YMMV, I guess.

EDIT: Wrong word
    In Soviet Russia Flag use YOU as travel power.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited July 2012
    Hi Pan is, in fact, a parody of Lo Pan, the chief villain in the movie Big Trouble In Little China. Then there's Burt Jackson, who sends you on some missions against Hi Pan and his Red Banner, who is himself a parody of the movie's hero, Jack Burton...

Basically, if you're offended by Hi Pan, you should take it up with John Carpenter - it was his movie, after all.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited July 2012

Personally, I had an Asian friend who I got to play CO with me. He was really enjoying it until we got up to Hi Pan in the first few missions and Hi Pan couldn't pronounce "Millennium City." He said he didn't like it and quit playing. No big drama or anything, just switch to another game. Still can't get him to try CO again.

LOLWUT they quit over that . Ima Dutch person born in Japan who learned English in Scotland then moved to Queens* and I cant say "Millennium City". Give Hi Pan his due he makes a better attempt at it than I can.

I iz this close to actually making a Toon called the Edam Ninja Avenger \o/

*Makes for a HILARIOUS accent I am told :/
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Ima Dutch person born in Japan who learned English in Scotland then moved to Queens* and I cant say "Millennium City".

Good Lord, with that combination, I'm surprised you can pronounce anything.

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • bjturnerbjturner Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Let's try not to be too sensitive guys. Besides, The Ally NEEDS Flag Speed!

[SIGPIC]Yeah, I'm blakerefuge.[/SIGPIC]
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Dutch person born in Japan who learned English in Scotland then moved to Queens

Good God, Nepht... with an accent that thickly tangled, it a wonder you can even breathe, much less speak...
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2012
    Red Winter is no more offending modern Russia than the Red Skull is offending modern Germany (or Hunter-Patriots terrorist are offending Canadian players).
    There is something offending and plain stupid in that alert, namely this badly done "Russian" speech, but it isn't related to the latest event - it's only a bad writing/execution.
    Soviet Union is not the modern Russian Federation, as the latter is even using the old Romanov tzars insignia, not the Soviet red-with-gold emblems.
    The communist block is now defunct, all the former communist countries, including Russia, returned to their pre-communist colours and symbols.
    The only reason why modern Russian hero must be using ingame red-star-with-white-border emblem is because there is no proper modern emblem in the costume creator (red star with an additional blue border between red field and white border, as modern Russian colours are white, blue and red).

Let's not start this political correctness nonsense.
  • jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    why are they banning this game in some countries?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2012
    Because of legal issues. PWE doesn't have rights for publishing it's games in these regions - banned countries are provided with game access by it's parent Chinese company. And Cryptic is now under PWE.
    What was completely ignored by PWE is fact, that both CO and STO doesnt't have separate servers for these regions - and given how niche game CO is, it's very unlikely that it will ever have more than one server.
    Of course one could expected that both Cryptic and PWE will remember such fact and will be doing something to avoid incoming bans - either by tweaking PWE's policy, or establishing new servers.
    But you know, certain companies are caring about it's customers, and certain are... Well, others are PWE in a very cryptic way.
  • kurbeewankenobikurbeewankenobi Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Someone said they were offended by Red Winter? I'm rather certain this thread's focus was on the timing of the event, and not the Soviet Russia enemy trope.

@Kurbee - Join date: Nov 09. Interested in costume contests? Join the 'Contests' channel to see advertisements for CC's occurring every day.
    edited July 2012
    Someone said they were offended by Red Winter? I'm rather certain this thread's focus was on the timing of the event, and not the Soviet Russia enemy trope.

True dat , heck are we even sure they are Russian anyway could be any eastern block nation >_>

The flag speed is nice hope to see more flags as time goes on the sidekick is nice to have but the choice of alert and timing is a bit erm..well not very nice :/

Would have been better if it was yah just pig pile Black Fang 3 times cause we all know how he loves to get punched in the face :D
  • kurbeewankenobikurbeewankenobi Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Having more flags to represent more nations would be nice. I don't want to devalue the work of the artist behind Flag Speed, but options are options. The flag is well-made.

(Also, Nepht. You're a meanie! Black Fang finally has a second to rest, and you just wanna punch him again!)

edited July 2012
    (Also, Nepht. You're a meanie! Black Fang finally has a second to rest, and you just wanna punch him again!)

Its a monster VS monster thing also he smells :/
  • craybesttcraybestt Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Its a monster VS monster thing also he smells :/
    It's not his fault that he smells, the docks are a very wet place, and we all know that wet dogs smell like hell.
    Have some compassion :x
    True dat , heck are we even sure they are Russian anyway could be any eastern block nation >_>

The flag speed is nice hope to see more flags as time goes on the sidekick is nice to have but the choice of alert and timing is a bit erm..well not very nice :/

Would have been better if it was yah just pig pile Black Fang 3 times cause we all know how he loves to get punched in the face :D

Now this I could support, especially as he was voiced by Bill Roper in Therakiel's temple and that alone meant I cheerfully enjoyed beating him up repeatedly. Hell I didn't even need the guaranteed Q drop excuse before, I did it for sheer pleasure :tongue:

As to the Red Alert mission, I am not offended by it and feel that it is meant to be tongue in cheek. However, for balance it would be nice if we meet more non-American super heroes in the future who aren't stereotypical. It would be fun to meet the Russian and Oriental counterparts to the Champions.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    Now this I could support, especially as he was voiced by Bill Roper in Therakiel's temple and that alone meant I cheerfully enjoyed beating him up repeatedly. Hell I didn't even need the guaranteed Q drop excuse before, I did it for sheer pleasure :tongue:

As to the Red Alert mission, I am not offended by it and feel that it is meant to be tongue in cheek. However, for balance it would be nice if we meet more non-American super heroes in the future who aren't stereotypical. It would be fun to meet the Russian and Oriental counterparts to the Champions.

Gad that reminds me of the chat I had with my in game crew yesterday who is the bigger blight on mmo's Roper or Smedface :/
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    People like to pick something to be offended about.

At the same time, the media really needs to stop portraying other people in caricatures. Sadly it will never cease because of the dinosaur think tanks and such overflowing from the industries that bring us entertainment, as well as those who grow up and inherit these views from their parents instead of developing clearer understanding.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited July 2012
    People like to pick something to be offended about.

At the same time, the media really needs to stop portraying other people in caricatures. Sadly it will never cease because of the dinosaur think tanks and such overflowing from the industries that bring us entertainment, as well as those who grow up and inherit these views from their parents instead of developing clearer understanding.

Your a communist :D
  • mavryckemavrycke Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why are people saying that PWE banning those regions is for legal reasons? I thought it was due to those area being high fraud areas?
    edited July 2012
    mavrycke wrote: »
    Why are people saying that PWE banning those regions is for legal reasons? I thought it was due to those area being high fraud areas?

Thev'e hired the Joker as thar Ban Hammer guy and if he's gotta ban people he'd rather it be for multiple choice reasons.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2012

True, but it is ridiculous that everybody is tarred with the same brush. PW are assuming they are guilty before they are proven so. I am surprised they didn't block Turkey, since the l33t hacker Shev hails from there :tongue:
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Eventually someone weaseled the real reason out of them, it would seem.

PWE is the North American subsidiary for Perfect World. In order to protect the parent company's revenue stream, PWE isn't permitted to license games in those regions where PW operates directly. Unfortunately, this fails to take into account the possibility of PWE later acquiring a property that's already licensed in those regions, which I believe is the loophole Cryptic's trying to use to get the Overlords to lighten up on the region ban.

• c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »

PWE is the North American subsidiary for Perfect World. In order to protect the parent company's revenue stream, PWE isn't permitted to license games in those regions where PW operates directly. Unfortunately, this fails to take into account the possibility of PWE later acquiring a property that's already licensed in those regions, which I believe is the loophole Cryptic's trying to use to get the Overlords to lighten up on the region ban.

Wow, never knew that! Seems very short sighted to me, hope PWE relent as they need all the players they can get.
    edited July 2012
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    Wow, never knew that! Seems very short sighted to me, hope PWE relent as they need all the players they can get.

It's not PWE who needs to relent, it's Perfect World.
    I never knew that was the real reason, it makes much more sense. And I understand why they don't speak much of it and even less on fixing it... so sad.
    jonsills wrote: »

Oy.

That is so ******n stupid. PW really dropping the ball here by not picking up the licensing for CO in those countries directly.
  • tharkantharkan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Admittedly, the timing is suspicious, but as people have already pointed out, Red Winter are a rogue faction, disillusioned into thinking they are the good guys, and in no way represent the Russian people as a whole. I honestly think the whole reason they were picked to be enemies in this event is less about a "Ha ha russians yo cant use our forums now and soon you can't use our game" conspiracy theory that some people think, and more symbolic of a general "Democracy vs. Communism" fight that was admittedly oversimplified as America vs. Russia not too long ago.

Of I could be making this up, but that is how I see it.
  • amosov78amosov78 Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I guess we won't be seeing a team-up of Dr. Yin Wu; Ji nli; The Strangler; Sodeptan and Durak anytime soon.
    edited July 2012
    tharkan wrote: »
    Admittedly, the timing is suspicious, but as people have already pointed out, Red Winter are a rogue faction, disillusioned into thinking they are the good guys, and in no way represent the Russian people as a whole. I honestly think the whole reason they were picked to be enemies in this event is less about a "Ha ha russians yo cant use our forums now and soon you can't use our game" conspiracy theory that some people think, and more symbolic of a general "Democracy vs. Communism" fight that was admittedly oversimplified as America vs. Russia not too long ago.

Of I could be making this up, but that is how I see it.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, there.