Install Arc
Options

What About the Region Banned Players?

Comments

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nightr0d wrote: »
    Nepht, I think there was a misunderstanding. I never said you should calm down nor did I tell you what to do (see qute above). I only stated my oppinon reagarding what you are doing. I'm not sure how you got the impression that I told you do so something:confused:......I blame it on Jenny:rolleyes::tongue:

Well I guess you can see why I am worried about the games future now, and if I have misread you I apologize. The way PWE is acting towards their customers is actually negatively affecting their profit margin. That means in a BEST case scenario less content for the games . I dont need to tell you what the worst case is.
    pion01 wrote: »

I stand by your side!!

But with less vigor and vitality because I am lazy and worn!!

Good man. \o/

Also drink some Red Bull.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    primal0889 wrote: »
    I do hope this issue is resolved soon. It's not right to have paying customers, especially ones with LTS be forced to drop the game just because of the region they live in and a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. :/

I agree but there's something you all should know:

REGION BANNING IS INEFFECTIVE.

Really? Yes, really. It's been said many times by those in this game who are more experienced in IT security than I am (and I'm no novice myself if I may). Even a simole proxy can get around it. Yeah it will lag like hell for gaming, but for a decicated hacker it won't slow you down at all.

Cryptic and PWE have gotten emails on this. The emails got copy&paste standard CS responses. A few weeks time later they realized they had a security breach I guess, long ago, and announced that on the forums (remember that anybody?)

So in truth, it not only restricts traffic from legitimate paying customers, it doesn't work.

Trust me, no security system is inpenetrable. It's just a matter of: knowledgeable people, hardware, software you keep updated, effort, and time. Get enough of those stacked in your favor and any system can be breached. I guarantee it.

Just some food for thought for this discussion.

My professional opinion?

PWE needs to remove the existing system of region bans and use the new internet security regulations and go after the hackers (many of which are indeed from Russia) under the loophole that it's cyberterrorism.

The region ban is also a CLEAR violation of the recent United Nations Human Rights Counsel directive on internet freedom of communication. If you all reading this who have the motivation and time on your hands (I don't, I'm busy and it hardly affects me) to want to force PWE's hand to get this changed, I'd advise you should get media attention and use this new UN directive to your advantage. Make it religious or political if you have to and get it on CNN or something. Just a suggestion from my observational experience. *shrug*
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also for the record, I have no sympathy for the loosers in Russia or elsewhere who have nothing better to do but try to hack to steal or harass other.

If you have the knowledge you could put it to better use. Do something positive or more meaningful in the world, it's just pathetically weak.

Despite what any of you say in this topic, a company SHOULD have the right to defend it's servers and the users SHOULD have the right to free speech and paying customers get access.

To be clear I disagree with this broken system. It doesn't work anyways to those determined to hack, as I said. I don't disagree for PWE to log your IP address, physical location, or communication records for the purpose of making sure they can keep their service open to all customers who come to have fun, paying OR free-to-play.

There are always bad apples, which have to be policed. But in the end it's better to have your doors open to opportunity, than closed.

Thank you all for reading my large exposition here and I wish everybody the best and to have fun out there!

sincerely,

x5
  • Options
    bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What About the Region Banned Players?

They banned
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    *Snip*

It's already been said in this thread but I'll repeat it here.

The region banning is not to prevent gold sellers/farmers.

The region banning is in place because Perfect World (note the missing Entertainment at the end there) already provides translated versions of their games in the territories Perfect World Entertainment have region blocks for.

Link stolen from earlier in the thread to confirm this in an official PWE FAQ.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »

The region banning is in place because Perfect World (note the missing Entertainment at the end there) already provides translated versions of their games in the territories Perfect World Entertainment have region blocks for.

That isn't the only reason that the region bans are in place, as it says in your link there are administrative reasons as well. There is no reason to add that if it was simply due to those regions having their own versions of games since the previous line says that clearly enough.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nightr0d wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that I should not tell others what to do while at the same time you just told me what to do -_-. You do notice the double standard here don't you?

OH and I'm not telling her(?) what to do. I'm just stating my oppinion, if you have a problem with that then it's unfortunate but that's just how it is.

No ones telling you to do anything. I just don't think people need to be constantly hounded by others telling them that it's a lost cause and suggesting that they give up when they're remaining hopeful and fighting for a positive change. It doesn't help them in anyway concerning the gravity of the situation.

If it's in your opinion that you need to continue doing so then go ahead.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2012

There was an official post back in January stating that one of the reasons those selected countries were being blocked is because of the high amount of online fraudulent activities sourced from those regions.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Trust me, no security system is inpenetrable. It's just a matter of: knowledgeable people, hardware, software you keep updated, effort, and time. Get enough of those stacked in your favor and any system can be breached. I guarantee it.

I agree completely. Just as no physical security is impenetrable. The goal (assuming one understands the reality of such matters) of locking your door, or implementing computer security procedures, is not to make something impenetrable. Such are done in the hope of discouraging casual penetration :tongue: and to reduce the number of penetrations.

Just because locking your car door will not make it proof against theft doesn't mean that taking that precaution isn't a good idea.

All of that said...denying service to paying customers is BAD. Very BAD.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Another day and another day without communication on this issue.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hope this 7 hour downtime is only to convert CP to Zen and not to kick out some lifetimers :/
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    And here we are again another 24 hours and guess what.. YESH still no sign of that news we were promised 6 months ago.

Will give Cryptic this. At least they are being consistent :/
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    This would be a great time for that improved communication, that they have been telling us is coming, to start.
  • Options
    opalflameopalflame Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Until something is done about this, I will not spend money on any of PWE's games. This just isn't right.
    Ink@Opalsky in game
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    It's good to know they can communicate new ways of abusing the c-store, but can't be bothered to give us an update to this.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    draogn wrote: »
    It's good to know they can communicate new ways of abusing the c-store, but can't be bothered to give us an update to this.

Well said . They can bang on about things like account guard, zen and 1000 day sparkle tights but not this :/
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cryptic's silence on this issue is deafening... :rolleyes:
    I wish the region banned players the best of luck in moving on to a game that has not yet been put out to pasture.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What ever happened to Sekiman? I know he was a lifer that faced this. I'd be readying a lawsuit.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I believe those who are in the affected regions are unable to post on these forums. Which means that if this were to go in affect those who were affected couldn't tell us about it. Which, imo, is just another spark to add to this fire.

Seriously at this point there has to be something that can be said. The longer it takes to say something, the worse it makes the company and it's customer service department look.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    What ever happened to Sekiman? I know he was a lifer that faced this. I'd be readying a lawsuit.

a. LTS players paid for access to the game under the T&C and EULA which unfortunately does allow for Cryptic/PWE to revoke access without notice.

b. International court cases are expensive, especially when the parties are halfway around the world from each other.

c. Unless the radio buttons are there for show (unlikely) they still have access to the game which is what the LTS offered. The forums are, and always have been, a bonus to that access.

d. The current official statement on the matter is that Cryptic is looking into ways to continue providing the game for these players.

a and b make it difficult and prohibitive to take this to court.

c and d currently make it nearly impossible to take to court.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The forum is 100% less awesome because Pandaman cant post anymore :/
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    a. LTS players paid for access to the game under the T&C and EULA which unfortunately does allow for Cryptic/PWE to revoke access without notice.

b. International court cases are expensive, especially when the parties are halfway around the world from each other.

c. Unless the radio buttons are there for show (unlikely) they still have access to the game which is what the LTS offered. The forums are, and always have been, a bonus to that access.

d. The current official statement on the matter is that Cryptic is looking into ways to continue providing the game for these players.

Fair enough. I still don't really get why they took away his right to post on the forum, but the game really is what's important. Seems rather stupid, to me, though.

Sidenote, to everyone else, did we ever get a *why* these countries can't post on the forum?
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2012

a. I dont remember being shown or effectively forced* to agree with the T&C and EULA when I paid for my LTS, only when I tried to play the game. (though, I may have missed that and cannot verify since I already have one)

b. is unfortuntely true as far as I know. However, that does not preclude Cryptic/PWE having their reputations damaged as a result of their actions if they summarily ban players from their game, which may affect them in the future.

c. Forum access is currently included (and as far as I know has always been included) as part of gold membership privileges, which LTS is supposed to grant access to for the life of the game. The idea that this is purely a bonus to that access is expressed no where in the F2P matrix or elsewhere outside of player opinion in the forums that I know of.

d. Whether they actually find a way or do anything about this remains to be seen.

*assuming I want to enjoy the benefits of what I had paid for
    Fair enough. I still don't really get why they took away his right to post on the forum, but the game really is what's important. Seems rather stupid, to me, though.

Sidenote, to everyone else, did we ever get a *why* these countries can't post on the forum?

It isn't that they took his posting rights away, the region in which he lives in can't log into the servers.

They have given a generic message, something due to Perfect world making separate clients/games for the different regions and other administrative reasons.

Regardless region bans are a horrible idea, all they do is irritate customers and give them a bad public image.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yup still not shutting up about this one the more you ignore us the larger your failure pants become. Your failure pants are so big at the mo they are making you look like Simon Cowell :/
  • Options
    man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Although I agree it is an injustice and I do hope players from these countries get to return to forums and continue to play the game, If PWE force the issue and follow this path there is little we can do to stop them.

A legal battle would most likely fail and any harm to Cryptic reputation will either see the game lose players and fail to keep the churn going at a rate that keeps the game alive or be quickly forgotten about.

We can strive to keep the issue in fore front of cryptic's mind and hope they can work this out within PWE. I for one don't believe Cryptic want to loose these players any more than we do but Perfect World have separate entities to cover the eastern and western markets and did not have a plan in place to deal with a company they took over that has no such separation.
    edited July 2012

Oh, I'm still "here". I'm from Eastern Europe, but not far away enough it seems to be banned (thankfully). I'm still pretty miffed with this situation and a few other issues with the game, though, so I'm just playing and posting far less than I did before.

And I'm not a Lifer, just been subbed for more than 900 days. Although I don't see myself reaching the 1k milestone with things as they are.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Well good. We've butted heads, but I've always gotten along with you. Glad to see you're still around, I was actually concerned. Sorry for the derail, guys. :smile:
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    See the thing is what gets my goat is this.

Before Perfect World bought Cryptic it was mainly a skeleton company used to publish their games in the west.

They had Runic and those guys that make Blacklight but look at whats happening to them..not much pretty much left alone to do their thing.

So whats different with Cryptic why butt in so much.

*Puts on Tinfoil hat*....Cryptic is the largest part of PWE ( the American branch of PW) Perfect World even said themselves they wanted the tech and a bigger foothold on western mmo's.

We see people like Robobo and Stormshade take jobs inside PWE. All I am seeing is a name change from Cryptic to PWE and when we say you cant do that the "its not our fault its PWE's fault" card is played.

BS Craptic World. Robobo is now higher up in the company ranks if he could be bothered to do something he could but he cant be arsed so he wont.

Will say this would like some communication from SS but if he is told not to say a thing what can the man do .

Time to give Runic Games a heads up if Cryptic are taking over running of the western branch of PW you guys are SOOOOOOO screwed.

*Takes Tinfoil hat off*
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Once again they can post about a new grind bag mission, and the recycled costume pieces used for the transformation gear. But they can't be bothered to give us an update here. Fun times for all
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Once again they can post about a new grind bag mission, and the recycled costume pieces used for the transformation gear. But they can't be bothered to give us an update here. Fun times for all

Perhaps they're not allowed to give us and update.

Seriously, you forget that in speaking for the company, Stormshade and crew can only say what the company lets them. Stormshade needs to pay the rent after all and the threat of losing your job can be enough to force people to be silent even when they want to be transparent about everything.
  • Options
    supercollider75supercollider75 Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    just chiming in making sure this stays high up the forum as it's a very concerning issue.
    edited July 2012

Seriously, you forget that in speaking for the company, Stormshade and crew can only say what the company lets them. Stormshade needs to pay the rent after all and the threat of losing your job can be enough to force people to be silent even when they want to be transparent about everything.

Not communicating with your customers is a good way to lose customers, and with out customers a company won't stay in business very long. I highly doubt any company would mind a community representative or customer service representative giving a basic update to a problem that has the potential to affect a lot of people.

There is little excuse for a company to allow something like this to go ignored for so long.
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nothing will be done for the region banned players. PWE will not allow any comment to be posted about it. The people we want to talk to us about it aren't permitted.

Furthermore, despite the fact that we were told that a response would be forthcoming, no one has any sense of personal responsibility that will see them actually answering.

This, by the way, is typical of all customer service. Lying and evading the customers is encouraged everywhere, as long as they keep buying.

Having expectations of anything other than utter silence on this matter is pointless. Their track record speaks against it. PWE doesn't care and Cryptic isn't going to buck them.
    -
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    cynicool wrote: »
    This, by the way, is typical of all customer service. Lying and evading the customers is encouraged everywhere, as long as they keep buying.

No this isn't typical at all. Having worked in customer service for 10+ years I can tell, at least with my experiences, you this is not true.

We were never encouraged to lie or evade customers, we were told to always help them as best we can. We were told to give them truthful and honest answers. Because if you lie to a customer and they find out the company and your own job could be at risk. We had multiple meetings about making sure to help the customer, because with out the customers you'll be out of business real fast.

But any this is off-topic, back on track there is finally a new until report.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

The issue here is not that Stormshade or the rest of the crew are not risking their jobs by telling us things they shouldn't. The issue is that the company as a whole can't seem to get their crap together and address this issue or give us any news about it at all.

We're not asking anyone here to risk their job by telling us unauthorized information. We're asking to company itself to finally make up its mind as a collective entity already and give us something on this issue instead of continuously ignoring it.

And I don't think anyone is blaming Stormshade at this point--we're blaming the company (Cryptic/PWE) itself for their apparent lack of concern on this issue.
    I'm glad to see this post is still on the front page, It is good to see that some players care about this issue even if PWE don't seem to.

I believe that PWE thought that if they stopped these people from having a voice on forums their removal from the game would happen without any outrage saving them from having to deal with the situation.
    edited July 2012
    I'm glad to see this post is still on the front page, It is good to see that some players care about this issue even if PWE don't seem to.

I believe that PWE thought that if they stopped these people from having a voice on forums their removal from the game would happen without any outrage saving them from having to deal with the situation.

Thats exactly what they thought , well they thought wrong. Some of these players were here before Perfect World.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    My problem with this ban is that the game is already kinda hurting for players. Why ban active regions?
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I find it funny and offensive at the same time that they put up ask Cryptic yet they cant answer one question about the region blocked players >_>
  • Options
    man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd175/Fifer71/Ostrich-man-head-in-sand-300x201.gif

Cryptic's new way of dealing with the region bans. Even if we ask it in ask Cryptic like I and many others have I don't expect an answer any time soon.
    edited July 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I find it funny and offensive at the same time that they put up ask Cryptic yet they cant answer one question about the region blocked players >_>

Maybe the actual Cryptic Devs and CMs are all working from China, and thats the reason
    they can no longer post here :tongue:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Then again, perhaps that's one of the reasons why there's an Ask Cryptic again - as long as they're going to give us vague answers about one thing, might as well gather a bunch of others, and maybe the Corporate Masters won't notice that they slipped us some actual information in the middle...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Then again, perhaps that's one of the reasons why there's an Ask Cryptic again - as long as they're going to give us vague answers about one thing, might as well gather a bunch of others, and maybe the Corporate Masters won't notice that they slipped us some actual information in the middle...

We can but hope ..
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So we have a new community rep in TT. Lets hope his overlords give him some info about this we've been waiting 7 months for the answer his predecessor did promise us would come soon.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I wonder how long till this community rep gets reassigned to 'other' projects. We've had such a great track record so far.
  • Options
    caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »

Wow.... You, sir, are the eternal optimist.
  • Options
    animaniac0451animaniac0451 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I wonder how long till this community rep gets reassigned to 'other' projects. We've had such a great track record so far.

He's already assigned to other projects. He's the CM for Jade Dynasty, we're the side project.
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    He's already assigned to other projects. He's the CM for Jade Dynasty, we're the side project.
    Yup :frown:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?