test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I purpose a poll for a new zone!

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Right now we have some great ideas for a new zone, I purpose a poll between which one comes out first. So that is.
1. The Moon http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=111195 Votes 1
2. Shamballah http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=111637 Votes 1
3. Haynesville Kansas http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=112239 Votes 1
4. And the Cyber Wold http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=112249 Votes 3
5. Well of the worlds. Votes 1
6. Aracida Votes 1
7. War Zone http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=110039 Votes 1

So out of the 7 right now, which would you rather have added first in game? :cool:
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I vote for 5. Santa's factory
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I vote option 6, Server not responding.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kansas. The scariest place listed.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    None of the above.....
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to propose some additional options to choose from.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Each of the four zones has the potential for cool fights versus magic-technical robot-pirates with superpowers. So i vote for Option 6.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to go with option 4, the Cyber Mold.

I'm imagining great times while fighting on the fabled planet Jello-tron.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lohr wrote:
    I'd like to propose some additional options to choose from.

I wish that where the case... :( only 4 major well protray zone post are on the suggestion box right now. But I'll keep looking for 2 more choices. Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In order of what i think would be interesting for the game re: a nice diverse mix:

1): Space station crisis leading to a Lunar base on a full-sized Moon-zone that is approximately the same size as the VB map.
    ...............................................................................................................................................................................................

2): Well of the Worlds. Full sized zone the size of desert with a nice duality feature that takes into account your position on the map and the phasing between Dreamtime and its impact on our dimension.
    It would make for an interesting game-story and possible game mechanic in that according to the lore anything that takes place in Dreamtime leaves its mark on reality;
    ...Everything in the 'real-world' contains a spirit that has its origins within the Dreamtime. Furthermore, every meaningful event in either our world or the Dreaming leaves a mark on the world, so that the shape of the land itself and its unseen vibrations are like a map of the history of the world. Natural features like Uluru and the Kata Tjuta Gorge are Iwara - tracks and signs of events or actions taken that have manifested in our own world. -

Time behaves very strangely within the Dreamtime. It seems to pass subjectively to the viewer, but events related to the 'waking world' happen simultaneously or in random order from the viewpoint of a visiting outsider.
    Someone visiting the Dreamtime today may encounter another visitor from thousands of years ago, or perhaps from his own future.

It would be nice to have a heat-haze effect and possibly mirages as gfx. The zone would have to be pretty large to capture the feeling of the enormity of the Aussie outback.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

3): Shamballah: Snowy crisis with icestorm like in the Canada crisis. Crisis zone need not be particulary big at all.... say half Vibora Bay map size, circled by a vicious Ice storm, howling winds and snow that restricts visibility - (in effect the restricted size of the crisis map could be disguised that way).

The Crisis would involve landing via superjet at UNTIL basecamp a distance away from Mount Everest where UNTIL troops are fighting to hold back waves of primal old-world evil Yetis (larger more vicious variety), Ice Demons that are crawling from ice crevaces and wildlife like wolves or bears. You would help secure the basecamp before searching for a mysterious Lamasery halfway up a gigantic Mount Everest. This according to the legend is the gateway to Shamballah.
    Further trials for the Tibetan monks on the mountainside enable you to enter the Lamasery where you would undergo physical and mental training before being shown the secret doorway down into the Ice-caves.

If you survive the trials of the Ice-caves, then Shamballah lies beyond ,a full-sized zone inside/under Mount Everest a gigantic cavern at least as big as Vibora Bay. At the far end of the cavern the mood changes to a darker more sinister colour / lighting pallette as the monks keep guard and skirmish with evil at the entrance to Agharti.

(see Shamballah thread for further details).

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

4): Arcadia
    Deep in the frozen mountains of Antarctica lies a hidden valley where the cold and snow do not penetrate. Creatures from the ancient past, long since extinct elsewhere but preserved here by remarkable science, stalk the fertile forests of this tropical vale.
    At the head of the valley stands a city of gold from whose spires and cathedrals the mysterious Empyreans look out over the rest of the world. Humanity's Immortal cousins, the Empyreans frequently walk amongst mankind unseen, pretending to be normal folk. They have watched over Humanity for millennia, mistaken for gods or heroes. And yet, in many ways, they are not so different from ordinary Humans...

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

5): Mechanon's NanoWorld.

Think Tron Legacy's computer city and all that concept art for lightcycles architecture and costumes as inspiration.
    See Dr Silverback and volunteer to get shrunk down to the Nano-scale to Rescue MicroMan from a holding facility at Server-City in Mechanon's NanoWorld.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

6): Atlantis.

Purposely last because we have one underwater zone already, but wow... what can you say about the legendary Atlantis that hasn't intrigued world civilisation for thousands of years.

Game-wise, It would have to be sufficiently different from Lemuria architectually (which it is anyway (classically Greek in influence) and although i suppose many plants could be re-used from Lemuria it would be nice to see a different colour pallette and mood for the legendary sunken city.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

6): Atlantis.

Purposely last because we have one underwater zone already, but wow... what can you say about the legendary Atlantis that hasn't intrigued world civilisation for thousands of years.

Game-wise, It would have to be sufficiently different from Lemuria architectually (which it is anyway (classically Greek in influence) and although i suppose many plants could be re-used from Lemuria it would be nice to see a different colour pallette and mood for the legendary sunken city.

I would think this be better as a adventure pack than a zone but good catch. :cool:

Also about the Mechon thing, I would think the moon would hold it's base of operation. Internet is probably where it's getting all it's data and recruitment. So the online zone would fit perfectly on that.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    5. Well of the worlds. (No link at this time :()
    6. Aracida (Also no link at this time)

See here on the HeroGames site for additional or here to order any of the Champions sourcebooks as books or downloadable PDFs.

Sounds to me like you'd enjoy 'The book of the Machine' Heartless.

... Hail Mechanon !!!

:o*ahem
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I propose that we just go by the OFFICIAL pole that we've already GOT.

Also, suggestion forum.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    *Hangs a sign on the official stripper pole*

:D

Actually the 'official' poll we have is adventure pack material, not zones. Adventure packs, as SL seems to imply, will be instanced material, not zones. CO doesn't actually have any full blown zones in development at this time, and its probable we aren't going to for some time.

Its something CoX players have wanted for ages that would add new development to gameplay....Kansas....yeah....no. I don't want to visit in Kansas again in real life, why would I want a zone for it? :P
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll have to look at my local bransan noble for this book! :D And or the Library. Thanks! I'll also see about give more info on the Cyber world through this week so players can get a good understanding of that area. Any more request?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How about New Harmon, Shadow Destroyer's version of a rebuilt Detroit in his dimension? Hudson City is another great choice for a new zone.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Easter Bunny's burrow.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anything with giant robots, giant monsters, some sci-fi, and no magic.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    After reading up on the suggestions Im going to have to pick....

6. Aracida
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Smackwell wrote:

Then you'll want to vote for the moon, old chap!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Smackwell wrote:

Or the internet zone. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dardove wrote:
    How about New Harmon, Shadow Destroyer's version of a rebuilt Detroit in his dimension? Hudson City is another great choice for a new zone.

I would save that for the Dark Champions game in 2011-2012 :cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    FlyingFinn wrote:
    None of the above.....

There are tights on the moon, lots and lots of tights!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would save that for the Dark Champions game in 2011-2012 :cool:

You really think there is going to be another Champions game at this point?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dardove wrote:

Time will only tell... ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I propose they finish the game and fix it up before worrying about new stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DOOOMM!!!

Anyway, I want more cities.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I want to see Hudson City first, for all the Vigilante/Batman wannabes first.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Silverspar wrote:
    I want to see Hudson City first, for all the Vigilante/Batman wannabes first.

If they decide to go with Hudson City; they better hire a writer that can handle it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dardove wrote:

No...No I do not.

Here is the thread where I reason with Philistines about why they should have the Empryeans attack Atlantis. The U.N. and by extension UNTIL and it's allies would declare war on Acadia......epic.

I expand upon the idea here. Suggesting an addition to the "World War" expansion with yet another crazy full zone....Washington D.C. where you have to defend our soil against Empyrean invaders. In addition to Crisis zones two more zone types of this ilk would be added. War Zones (similar to the Qularr invasion tutorial) and Aftermath Zones (a sort of crisis zone with very few combat missions.)

Altogether this purposed expansion would add 3 full zones to the game, repeatable War Zone and Aftermath Zone for each metropolitan city in game, and new enemy types galore. Yeah....never going to happen...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Grimraven wrote:
    If they decide to go with Hudson City; they better hire a writer that can handle it.

Sorry your taste for writing and entertainment is too hoity toity around here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Silverspar wrote:

Ha!

I say let Bennie write some stuff for us. It is after all.....his job...sort of.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ha!

I say let Bennie write some stuff for us. It is after all.....his job...sort of.

Not at this point. For CO, I'm a gamer, and while I may have the occasional design urge (which I scratch in the Suggestions forum), I'm content to let these guys put in the 60-80 hour work weeks (that sometimes reaching 100) which computer games companies often drag out of its employees. (Or at least they did in my Interplay days -- hope they've learned how not to burn out their employees since then).
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Silverspar wrote:

What can I say; I like writing that tries to actually tell a story and has a point beyond the writer conveying that he's watched "Big Trouble in Little China", "Ghostbusters", or "Purple Rain".

The writing also lets me know that someone digs the song "Urgent" by Foreigner (I think?).

I'm waiting for the writing to actually make a notible effort to try and tell me about...I don't know...the Champions Universe maybe?

How much of the goings on in this game are really, truly explained? How many of the characters are fleshed out and explained beyond a breif synopsis of who they are?

I know that Defender and Witchcraft are an item...have no clue how or why it happened though.

I know Dr. Destroyer tried to level Detroit...but I don't know why other than assuming the generic "because he's the villain" explaination.

The b*tch you have to deal with before starting the VB crisis also seems to suffer from the generic "because she's the villain" thing. Plus the instant you see her you KNOW she's the villain, yet you still have to follow her blindly like a moron. A five year old shut in would peg her for the villain. By that point, we heroes have dealt with Psimon, Medusa, Telios, Dr. Destroyer's leftovers, Foxbat, and so on. By this point, I'm sure most heroes with some small tint of a brain would smell that woman's evil brand perfume.

Talos is, by the game's own description one of the best weaponsmiths in the world, yet all he has readily available to fight you with is a basic energy rifle that tons of other henchmen use everywhere.

In Leo's bar, you get a drink on the house for being a new face which you use to get someone to give you information. After that, the bartender might as well be a stop sign. He's a bartender in a bad neighborhood that doesn't sell drinks. How is this guy still in business?

Defender is the most well known and "highest profile hero on the planet" as the game itself tells us...yet all he does is stand around in the Ren Center for about 95% of the game. For someone who's so high profile, he sure doesn't really do anything.

Don't even get me started on Burt Jackson and his mission arc...

Sapphire is a high profile vocalist/musician...a celebrity I would guess. You see some posters mentioning a tour (I think) around MC...yet they do nothing with this potential plot device. All hell could break loose at one of her concerts and you could be called to help her out. Why go through the trouble to set up possible venues for storylines and then just pretend they don't exist?

In the "Sinisister" mission, Talisman and Witchcraft have spoken dialogue where they kinda give you a taste of their rivalry. It has a good feel to it, and I like the interaction, limited as it is. After that mission...POOF...never really mentioned again. Talisman...never really mentioned again after the mission arc is concluded. Sure she's in Stronghold later on in the game, but it's completely trivial. She's in Stronghold with some of the other guys you've fought before, but there's no solid mission content based around it. It's pretty much just...there.

There are good writers out there. CO needs one badly.

Be it comedic, serious, dramatic, whatever; it should go somewhere and have a point other than "tee hee, I made a movie reference in a game that has nothing to do with the movie I referenced."

I'm sure they thought it was witty, amusing, and clever. And it would have been if they hadn't pumped the game full of it. Video games can have compelling stories and good writing. With the years of available source material this IP has, CO should have compelling stories and good writing...not the senseless filler the game is filled to the brim with.

I would imagine (and really really hope) that the PnP modules have more interesting content for players than "Go kill 150 Argent operatives and come back when you're done for no real reason other than I said to go do it".

Having said all of that, if you're perfectly satisfied with the writing in CO; I'm glad you find it acceptable.

I honestly think they can do better. Note that last sentence, because I truly do believe that Cryptic CAN achieve better storytelling and better written mission content; they just need to click with a writer that's really good with super hero content.

And if all else fails; they can just call up Bioware and ask them how it's done.

CO has great graphics, good music, beautiful landscapes, pretty good controls, a nice user interface, and horrible writing. It's like having a great chef make you a delicious apple pie just to top it off with a dog turd.

This rant has been brought to you by the phrase "hoity toity".
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The b*tch you have to deal with before starting the VB crisis also seems to suffer from the generic "because she's the villain" thing. Plus the instant you see her you KNOW she's the villain, yet you still have to follow her blindly like a moron. A five year old shut in would peg her for the villain. By that point, we heroes have dealt with Psimon, Medusa, Telios, Dr. Destroyer's leftovers, Foxbat, and so on. By this point, I'm sure most heroes with some small tint of a brain would smell that woman's evil brand perfume.

The Idiot Ball is a well-established trope in the superhero genre. Don't think you're above it just cause you're a PC ;P
    And if all else fails; they can just call up Bioware and ask them how it's done.

Single player game writing can't work well with MMOs (SP games raise you as an individual to epic status, and emphasize on your persona lgreatness. That can be bad in MMO games. Sure, you're a pretty big hero in CO, but you're pretty aware you're not the only one). Not to mention that then we'd get hundreds of missions where the outcomes are:

1) Save the girl; +Good guy perk
    2) Falcon punch the girl in the stomach; +Get a bad guy perk, but be told how you are a dumb person for punching someone in the stomach.

With all due respect to Bioware and their writing, their kind of stories (and storytelling) aren't good for MMOs.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sekimen wrote:
    The Idiot Ball is a well-established trope in the superhero genre. Don't think you're above it just cause you're a PC ;P

That's what we have an Intelligence attribute score for.

Seriously though, I know what you're saying...and yeah, some super heroes can be a bit too trusting sometimes *cough* Superman *cough*. That's why I usually hang my hat in the anti-hero playroom; though we have our resident morons too.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Grimraven wrote:
    That's what we have an Intelligence attribute score for.

Seriously though, I know what you're saying...and yeah, some super heroes can be a bit too trusting sometimes *cough* Superman *cough*. That's why I usually hang my hat in the anti-hero playroom; though we have our resident morons too.

Not really. You are applying what is basically palyer knowledge to a character level. Yea, you can tell what's going on, but your character is not you, and never will be you. The story is being told, and I actually enjoy it. I do sit there and read the text and get the flavor of what is going on. Unfortunately, msot just click it and stare at their objective log to find otu what's next.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Silverspar wrote:
    Not really. You are applying what is basically palyer knowledge to a character level. Yea, you can tell what's going on, but your character is not you, and never will be you. The story is being told, and I actually enjoy it. I do sit there and read the text and get the flavor of what is going on. Unfortunately, msot just click it and stare at their objective log to find otu what's next.

That's me. I like to read the text too. Though with CO, I can only bring myself to sit through it once. When repeating missions with an alt, I just go through the motions unless I run into a mission I haven't done before. There just isn't a lot of "re-read" value to a good 95% of it. Meanwhile, I've been through Mass Effect 2 about 5 times; and I still haven't gotten to the point that I skip dialogue and go through the motions. Never skipped text in Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 or Neverwinter Nights either.

I wasn't trying to convey going on player knowledge...I was mostly trying to say that I would expect some heroes to have a little common sense (a dumb character falling for it as opposed to a smarter character not buying it). I know my characters aren't me and never will be...but I also know that my characters (minus Space Shark) aren't that stupid.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You want Zones and i want Mods that dont only talk about Jiggleboobs. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Grimraven wrote:
    That's me. I like to read the text too. Though with CO, I can only bring myself to sit through it once. When repeating missions with an alt, I just go through the motions unless I run into a mission I haven't done before. There just isn't a lot of "re-read" value to a good 95% of it. Meanwhile, I've been through Mass Effect 2 about 5 times; and I still haven't gotten to the point that I skip dialogue and go through the motions. Never skipped text in Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 or Neverwinter Nights either.

I'm guessing the "re-read" factor depends on the person, since I start skipping ME dialogs after I've seen them once. You keep comparing writing in an MMO with the writing in single-player story-driven RPGs. Can the writing be improved for MMO standards? Of course. Does it need to be like in SP RPGs? Not really
    Grimraven wrote:
    I know my characters aren't me and never will be...but I also know that my characters (minus Space Shark) aren't that stupid.

The laws of the Champions Universe dictate that all characters receive moments of "stupid". It is something you can not fight against. It's like how you start whining to your colleges about your boss being a douche and then you realize he was behind you the whole time.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I say 1 and 4. Either one of those and I'd be content either way. 4 mainly because it'll draw in new players and I have a soft spot in my heart for retro VR stuff. 1 because it feeds into existing lore a lot more easily and would allow us to face off against Mechanon since he's supposedly located there.

To the OP: it's spelled "propose" just a heads up. Purpose is a reason or use for something. Like "the purpose of a weapon is to cause injury or death". I'm not being mean here, just trying to help.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Update, War zone is in. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also please just state one of the choices, or your vote does not count. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    my vote go's to some kind of cyber/tech based zone
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Poll updated. The Cyber World is right now in 1st place. 2nd is right now a tie. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    kyoto, as simple as that.(the 1860 version)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    sorudo wrote:
    kyoto, as simple as that.(the 1860 version)

I'm sorry but what? :confused:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Moon.

I wanna fight Mechanon.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I vote for 5. Sounds interesting
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Poll updated! ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Silverspar wrote:

Slow down with your typing, dude.