What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Guide to using demo_record for Machinimas

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Basically, don't use unreleased content in your machinima.

yar, gotcha, thnx.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That's some really fancy work!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Brou wrote:
    That's some really fancy work!

/em worship

you taught me everything I know :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Brou, do you (or anyone) know if there's a command line I can erase to get it to stop displaying the hex grids of duels, but display everything else normally? I'd like to take screenshots of duels without havingf the PvP boundaries show up.

Getting rid of the rocket would be great too.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Thundrax wrote:
    Brou, do you (or anyone) know if there's a command line I can erase to get it to stop displaying the hex grids of duels, but display everything else normally? I'd like to take screenshots of duels without havingf the PvP boundaries show up.

Getting rid of the rocket would be great too.

Gotta edit the demo in a text editor. I'll try to find the exact lines referencing it.

EDIT: Try replacing the line after message that says
    FX_PVP_OpenWorld_Boundary

with a word like "null"

This produces an error on the bottom, but eliminates the boundary.

This appears to be the HERO Games rocket
    Pvp_Critter_Ground

Replace that name with "nothing."

You could also choose to replace the rocket in the demo with a human referee of some sort.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    expanding menu items hid the add/remove point from me. Now it has been found. Let the damage being.

How do you synch play back with the camera pathing? Is there a way to 'start' both?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I don't see now to add a point on the camera path. Someone mentioned a menu, but I don't see it :(

Tick the box on the top bar named "Camera Path Editor."

To the far right, click "Add Path"

Start with an Easy Path if you will be traveling through something. Use Add point on the far right if you need to add points.

If a camera point was created by accident, move yourself to a point of view that is desired while the point is highlighted on the timeline below and click "reset point."

You may rearrange camera points by dragging them across the timeline.

Make sure you have your red cursor placed over the area where you wish to add a POINT, then click add point. You can also clone point, and use reset point to get the desired point of view.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I know this will come off as sounding incredibly silly, but how do I go about turning off all the extra items like Christmas presents and such in the demo files I record?(Trying to shoot a Halloween video and a some of the presents are getting in my way.)

Especially now(after the second anniversary) the ren center looks like a giant glob of light and Sapphire wont stop singing!(Not that I record the sounds anyway, but after a few times it begins to grate on ones nerves.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Looking for something right now to fix that.

In the mean time, try this.

Open the demo in a text editor. Locate the line:

startWorldTime

Delete the time value in there and replace it with a different value.

Try this one: 4.474208
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I tried it but no go, the presents are still there. I'll try some different values and see what happens.

Addendum: different values seemed to have no effect on the presents.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    psigar wrote:
    I tried it but no go, the presents are still there. I'll try some different values and see what happens.

Addendum: different values seemed to have no effect on the presents.

Okay.

Any chance you can attach the demo so I can hunt down the presents? I don't readily have one to look through that includes those.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    It is possible that the area is a redressed Ren Center with a different value than the Ren Center we are used to.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Brou wrote:
    Okay.

Any chance you can attach the demo so I can hunt down the presents? I don't readily have one to look through that includes those.

Unfortunately its too big to post in the forums.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I sent you a PM. You can email the file to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    cptpatriot wrote:
    It is possible that the area is a redressed Ren Center with a different value than the Ren Center we are used to.

iirc, when you pull maps in the demo, if there are more than one map of that type, it overlaps.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Brou wrote:
    I sent you a PM. You can email the file to me.

Demo file has been sent. Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    In my experience If a map gets updated (like Millennium City getting the stage for the anniversary) and you run a demo recorded before the update it will turn all of the hidden objects for events on.

You'll probably need to make a new demo.

StartWorldTime changes the time of day, 0 being midnight, 12 being noon.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm seeing about disabling the nodes by hand.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    ...keeping fingers crossed....
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I think I will have to poke a dev at this point.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Brou wrote:
    I think I will have to poke a dev at this point.

...hands Brou a large pointy stick......
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Hi, just want to thank all the helpful people here (especially Brou, Race, SoundsRisky) who gave others a chance to properly tinker with the Demo Record function. Without this thread, I would never have realized that the Demo Record tool exists. Finally completed my first (and probably only) attempt at creating a short video. It was definitely a fulfilling endeavor.

If you want to check it out, please use the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM4jZBx1RbY

Once again, thanks for all the information that you guys have provided through this thread. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    This looks great. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Brou wrote:
    This looks great. :D

Glad you like it, thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    xvii13 wrote:
    Hi, just want to thank all the helpful people here (especially Brou, Race, SoundsRisky) who gave others a chance to properly tinker with the Demo Record function. Without this thread, I would never have realized that the Demo Record tool exists. Finally completed my first (and probably only) attempt at creating a short video. It was definitely a fulfilling endeavor.

Once again, thanks for all the information that you guys have provided through this thread. :)

Really original hero profile if it ain't from any existing Manga. And, you have a LOT of skill handling the cam of the demo record. (Not mentioning the transition ad rythm.)

And Brou?

I do REALLY need a crash course upon how to handle the cam. Pathing seems my very first b
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I felt like doing something simple. Yeah. this feature is pretty buggy. I was having one where my camera wouldn't pan to the next place, but after a save and a reload, it worked. Odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjnxlmgN0do
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Got a reply. It's being looked into.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Malvourus wrote:
    I felt like doing something simple. Yeah. this feature is pretty buggy. I was having one where my camera wouldn't pan to the next place, but after a save and a reload, it worked. Odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjnxlmgN0do

Yeah that's the one! So what? I do reload and see if it is unexpectedly sinking down the ground again. (I truely really need to do that again... see if I reload it iwould work.)

And thanks Brou ^^
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Really original hero profile if it ain't from any existing Manga. And, you have a LOT of skill handling the cam of the demo record. (Not mentioning the transition ad rythm.)

Thank you so much :p It's completely original don't worry :)
    I think I could help a bit by posting a video of how to do smooth cam movements.
    Not necessarily a tutorial though just a short clip to give people an idea of how it is done
    (only to the extent that I have accomplished of course, just the basic stuff).
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Stumbled across this cmd last night after failing to capture video with Taksi (anyone get that to work btw? or is best to use WeGame or xFire as free solutions, mentioned above?). Took a moment to get demo-record working, this thread really helps. :)

Will be getting into this soon I hope and popping some vids up. Nothing Like RACE's work though I'm sure (very :cool:)

Thanks guys for putting this in Lay-kyte terms that we can all understand. Be most interested to see the Pathing tut (or did I miss that one :o )
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Gamakyte wrote:
    Stumbled across this cmd last night after failing to capture video with Taksi (anyone get that to work btw? or is best to use WeGame or xFire as free solutions, mentioned above?). Took a moment to get demo-record working, this thread really helps. :)

Will be getting into this soon I hope and popping some vids up. Nothing Like RACE's work though I'm sure (very :cool:)

Thanks guys for putting this in Lay-kyte terms that we can all understand. Be most interested to see the Pathing tut (or did I miss that one :o )

Awwww yeaaah! Can't wait to see more videos from all of you! Brou, I may have missed it but did you ever get a pathing tut up? I've been asked a few times on YT to do one but meh, I'm lazy lol. Also I won't be able to do anything like that till I get my new pc (sometime this month)
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Also I'm going to give that Taksi thing a go. I'm all about that free ware man! :cool:
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Off Topic but I thought I'd help out anyway.

Well I got Taksi to work. That thing MURDERS frame rate! But it COULD just be my budget pc though.

Anyways, how I got it to work:

1] Open up Taksi.
    2] Launch Champs.
    3] Set champs to windowed mode.
    4] Click the little triangle icon named "App Hook" on the Taksi control bar.
    5] Switch back to Champs, you should see a green square on the upper left corner of the Champs screen.
    6] If it's there you can now either switch back to Taksi and hit record or go to the config button and set up other options such as how many frames to capture per second, audio input device and where you want the recorded videos to be stored.
    7] Profit

I think I'll just stick with fraps and it's HUGE video sizes. Also for you fellow fraps users, check out Handbrake. It's great freeware for compressing those MONSTER sized videos.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    RACE wrote:
    Awwww yeaaah! Can't wait to see more videos from all of you! Brou, I may have missed it but did you ever get a pathing tut up? I've been asked a few times on YT to do one but meh, I'm lazy lol. Also I won't be able to do anything like that till I get my new pc (sometime this month)

Working on one. There's a choppiness I am trying to get over, because it makes following along with my cursor on the screen difficult.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    xvii13 wrote:

just caught this one. wicked awesome man! Maor please :)

Now I wanna do something like this for my character Shift. Really good work man.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I've got a few questions please someone can help me ?
    First, how do you export your video with the record demo tool to have the video and the audio ?
    because when I export it with the command, it export the video frame by frame in jpg and there's no audio :(
    How can I fix it ?
    after that, why I don't see the texts in the record ? is there any options to display it ?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Klemor wrote:
    I've got a few questions please someone can help me ?
    First, how do you export your video with the record demo tool to have the video and the audio ?
    because when I export it with the command, it export the video frame by frame in jpg and there's no audio :(
    How can I fix it ?
    after that, why I don't see the texts in the record ? is there any options to display it ?

Text doesn't get displayed in any way that I know of.

When you export the frames, it will display a result screen. When you click okay, it will play the demo again with sound. Try capturing with the capture tool of your choice at that time.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Brou wrote:
    Text doesn't get displayed in any way that I know of.

When you export the frames, it will display a result screen. When you click okay, it will play the demo again with sound. Try capturing with the capture tool of your choice at that time.

Aw ok thank you ! So I have to export all of my video or I can stop when I want ?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Klemor wrote:
    Aw ok thank you ! So I have to export all of my video or I can stop when I want ?

Currently there's no known way around exporting the whole thing. I recommend getting rid of the frames that got dumped in your screenshot folder first.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Brou wrote:
    Currently there's no known way around exporting the whole thing. I recommend getting rid of the frames that got dumped in your screenshot folder first.

I don't really understand. So it export the frames and it export a video with audio too ?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Klemor wrote:
    I don't really understand. So it export the frames and it export a video with audio too ?

It exports the frames, then the screen stops and it tells you how many frames it exported. When you press OK it will play the demo fullscreen with audio to you. Take FRAPs or something similar and record.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Brou wrote:
    It exports the frames, then the screen stops and it tells you how many frames it exported. When you press OK it will play the demo fullscreen with audio to you. Take FRAPs or something similar and record.

ok I understand ! and is there a way to reduce my video ? or I have to wait to export the whole video ?
    which program to record after that do I have to use ?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Klemor wrote:
    ok I understand ! and is there a way to reduce my video ? or I have to wait to export the whole video ?
    which program to record after that do I have to use ?

You'll have to wait for it to export frames before it will play back a full speed video with sound.

There are programs such as XFire, WeGame, FRAPS, and CamStudio that capture video and sound directly off of your screen.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Brou wrote:
    You'll have to wait for it to export frames before it will play back a full speed video with sound.

There are programs such as XFire, WeGame, FRAPS, and CamStudio that capture video and sound directly off of your screen.

ok thanks ! I will test all of that ! If I got any trouble I'll holla at you !
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Just got my new PC in! So now I just have to patch everything up and get my copies of Vegas/Magic Bullet/etc etc on to this new beast and I'll be back to making videos! *happy jig*:cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there any way to get demo_record to record the characters mouth animations when using voice chat? I'm trying to make my Christmas video, but demo_record doesn't seem to like the mouth animations. I am bummed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure I understand your question.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When using the ingame voice chat, your character mouth moves when you speak into your mic. When using demo_record the mouth animation does not show up.
    example: in my Christmas video two characters are supposed to be having a conversation (using the ingame chat for the mouth animation), and I use demo_record to record that scene. Then when I play the scene back, the mouth animation does not appear, the characters are just standing there.
    If I Frap the scene, of course the animation is there. So my question is - is there something missing (i.e. user error) or is this a bug in demo_record?