test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Guide to using demo_record for Machinimas

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Anything on changing the camera's field of view?

Tonight I'll be combing the console and controls for a field of view adjustment.
    edited August 2010
    I have an answer, now.

Press the tilde key (the one under Escape)

Type FOV n where n is the value.

FOV can be adjusted with no upper limit. Crazy fisheye camera shots GOGOGO!
    edited August 2010
    Brou wrote:
    I'm developing a tutorial right now.

that is the best news I've heard all day.
    edited September 2010
    On the Star Trek online forums there is some great info about the demorecorder too but one utility that I use and just made life a bit easier was a program someone had written to play back files - http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2667395&postcount=252

Is there anything like this for CO?
    edited September 2010
    aside from some sort of player being external to the game, how does that make it easier?
    edited September 2010
    Does said utility make it so you can play back a demo without the overlay control bar at the top?
    edited September 2010
    No, all this utility does is gives a GUI interface to select your recorded demos easily and launch the game without the minor hassle of editing a shortcut or typing "-demorecord mydemo.demo" into the launcher options.

Nothing major, just makes my life a tiny bit simpler.
    edited September 2010
    Hotrocksi wrote:
    No, all this utility does is gives a GUI interface to select your recorded demos easily and launch the game without the minor hassle of editing a shortcut or typing "-demorecord mydemo.demo" into the launcher options.

Nothing major, just makes my life a tiny bit simpler.

Sounds like a frontend of sorts. Anything that makes that process easier can't hurt at all.
    edited September 2010
    Well, that's still nothing to complain about. I've launched the game before forgetting that I had been playing a demo, causing me to wait for it to load until I could relaunch. :P
    edited October 2010
    Brou, I'm having a problem with some of my demo recordings that -- except when I play them back at the fastest speed, some of my animations won't play. Clearly the game knows they're there, but refuses to run them at any speed which I can reasonably well work with them. Any ideas why? And how to fix?
    edited October 2010
    Thundrax wrote:
    Brou, I'm having a problem with some of my demo recordings that -- except when I play them back at the fastest speed, some of my animations won't play. Clearly the game knows they're there, but refuses to run them at any speed which I can reasonably well work with them. Any ideas why? And how to fix?

Typically in this situation we can be SOL when dealing with the demo player unless we post-process the slow motion in.

If you want, you can show us a clip of where the issue is?
    edited November 2010
    I decided to check this thread again to see that you found an answer, thanks much. To give people an idea of why the fov command can be useful for machinima or even just taking screenshots I've uploaded an example.

I believe the default field of view is 60 although I'm not 100% certain on this, but here is an image at that FoV.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9572/fov60.jpg

It's ok, but Viperia looks like a giant compared to the other two, not to mention it appears that they have no feet.

This next image is set at a FoV of 15.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8255/fov15.jpg

Now they look more like equals around the table.

Setting the FoV at 15 is a bit extreme in most cases though, so between 25 and 40 should generally get you what you'd want.
    edited January 2011
    Been trying to make videos from some of the demos I recorded during the End of Beta event. Unfortunately, one problem I'm having is that when I make a camera path, it stops using the path when I hide the Path Editor. If I open it back up, it'll start using the tracks again.

Of course, can't really have the path editor open while recording. >_<;

Ideas?
    edited January 2011
    Been trying to make videos from some of the demos I recorded during the End of Beta event. Unfortunately, one problem I'm having is that when I make a camera path, it stops using the path when I hide the Path Editor. If I open it back up, it'll start using the tracks again.

Of course, can't really have the path editor open while recording. >_<;

Ideas?

Is the path saved?

If it is and you are still having problems, try just exporting the frames. There's a link in my first post about how to do that. Drawback to that is that your movie might be silent.
    edited January 2011
    Brou wrote:
    Is the path saved?

If it is and you are still having problems, try just exporting the frames. There's a link in my first post about how to do that. Drawback to that is that your movie might be silent.

Yeah, that was pretty much it. Leave it to me to miss the "SAVE" button at the top (I was looking at the bottom).

It seems a little fickle, but I think I can work it. Thanks, Brou. :]
    edited January 2011
    Reacher wrote:
    Only way I have found to do this is to edit the .demo file and remove the Messages blocks that look like:
    Time 42.549480
    Message <&NotifySendWithData 13 "You received 85 Resources." "Resources" "" <\& __NULL__ \&\>&>
    Command 65538
    EntityRef 4851912
    }
    Right, so. Been working on my demos, got the camera controls mostly down. A little fickle, as moving the timing on a camera point with a Hold duration can cause it to warp thousands of coordinates away.

Anyway, as to the above quoted message, what should I be using to remove the Resource message blocks? Wordpad saved it as a file that took up twice the space. Notepad, maybe? Does it need to be Unicode? ANSI? A Hex editor?
    edited January 2011
    Gammabreaker, I will see if I can locate a console command to suppress the messages or an easier way to kill them.
    edited January 2011
    Brou wrote:
    Gammabreaker, I will see if I can locate a console command to suppress the messages or an easier way to kill them.

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I spent about four hours working with the camera (about a third of which was fixing the random glitches that crop up). Once I was satisfied, I went to record it, aaaand...

Messages. Crap. I tried to edit them out in a text editor, but the re-saving process made the file unreadable to the game client.

It's not a dealbreaker, but if something comes up, that's great.
    edited January 2011
    Still looking into the screen messages, btw.

In related news, it seems that we now have new features in demo_record. One of the more prominent improvements is the addition of timeline and keyframes! Also, SoundFX, screen shake, fade, and Visual FX channels(does not seem fully implemented as there are no effects to select in the dropdown)

Screenshot

(the text covering the screen is because I had the console open and was trying to dump all the console commands, could use developer help with that.)
    edited January 2011
    Ahh, so that's what those were for. I noticed them while working on my Beta Finale files on Monday. I hadn't remembered seeing them before, but I'd also not really messed with the camera timeline before that -- figured it was something I never noticed. Didn't play with them. Looks like they could add some fun tools to making demo movies.

Thanks for looking into the messages text. :]
    edited February 2011
    Since Gammabreaker has found the elusive command to suppress messages, I will go ahead and post what was found.
    showgameui 0

Remember that to open the console you can press the tilde (below ESC and left of "1" on most keyboards.)

Also a tip to save time: If you are beginning to type a console command, you can go with an auto-completed suggestion by pressing TAB. You can also rotate between suggestions by pressing TAB additional times.

You can resize the console by dragging the bottom of it to the size of your choosing.
    edited April 2011
    All this stuff is going way over my head... Is there any video tutorial on this that I can watch?
    edited April 2011
    I'm recording today.
    edited April 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHJGyI_Xus&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I made a getting started guide in VIDEO LEARNING FORM :D

My first attempt at an instructional video. Let's see if it's helpful.
    edited April 2011
    Kekcellent work Brou, very clear and very understandable! ^^ I can't wait for the next video.
    edited May 2011
    Oh thank goodness. Thought we lost you to the void for a bit there Brou. I'ts been some time since I've ran the /demo function. It seems like there's been a lot of improvement. Now that I have more time I'll mess with it some more and post w/e "helpful" info I can.

Hopefully soon everyone will be making awesome videos of their adventures!
    edited May 2011
    Working on a little video and I hope to have it up by tonight.
    One thing I learned while watching ALL of the cryptic videos is that all their scenes are short. Meaning that in order to do any lengthy scenes, you'll have to use some creative editing. So I sat there literally for 4 hours DETERMINED to make a proper video that was atleast 30 seconds long [doesn't sound like much, but go into that editor all willie nilly and you'll understand].

Now that I'm sitting here editing it in Sony Vegas [had to learn how to use that myself as well] I have to say I've come a LONG way from when I first started.

Link will be up in short order.:cool:
    edited May 2011
    BAM!
    Peep this good CO people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm0s2x8kvHE
    edited May 2011
    Looks awesome
    edited May 2011
    Finally got into the editor, and I'm stuck zoomed into my toons foot (i mean foot takes up whole viewport...). I can move camera with right mouse? but can zoom back out. this happen to anyone else? suffice to say demo wasn't recorded like this :/
    edited May 2011
    ChaosInACT wrote:
    Finally got into the editor, and I'm stuck zoomed into my toons foot (i mean foot takes up whole viewport...). I can move camera with right mouse? but can zoom back out. this happen to anyone else? suffice to say demo wasn't recorded like this :/

Just wanna confirm:

You entered the demo. You pressed F2.

Please note that you cannot zoom out to 3rd person on the camera. It is always first person. Press the back or "s" key on a WASD movement setup to move behind your character.
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes you may have to hit F2 more than once for it to go into free mode. Or is that just me? *shrug*
    edited May 2011
    Brou wrote:
    Just wanna confirm:

You entered the demo. You pressed F2.

Please note that you cannot zoom out to 3rd person on the camera. It is always first person. Press the back or "s" key on a WASD movement setup to move behind your character.

Its weird it seemed stuck on the floor till i added a path. Then I had some control, but seemed glitchy surely do to my lack of knowledge. Even if successful I had no idea how to export?

I tried fraps too and it worked but only for 30 seconds. any good freeware programs out there?
    edited May 2011
    ChaosInACT wrote:
    Its weird it seemed stuck on the floor till i added a path. Then I had some control, but seemed glitchy surely do to my lack of knowledge. Even if successful I had no idea how to export?

I tried fraps too and it worked but only for 30 seconds. any good freeware programs out there?

typing -demo_movie_save instead of -demoplay is supposed to make a frame sequence in your screenshots folder. No idea yet on how to export sound channel.

If you want to record straight off the demo editor, you can use WeGame or xFire as free solutions.
    edited May 2011
    wrote:
    BAM!
    Peep this good CO people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm0s2x8kvHE
    I have the sudden urge to watch the matrix thanks to the music in that vid XD
    edited May 2011
    lol! I loved those movies alot and thought the music would fit nicely for that slow mo bit alone if anything.
    edited May 2011
    Really well done, Rage.
    edited May 2011
    Just a quick update: Ran into encoding problems with the pathing tutorial, which kinda trashed it, but it is still being worked on.
    edited May 2011
    I can't WAIT for that tutorial man! I'll finally be able to get my pathing down. Or at least make it a little neater looking
    edited May 2011
    RACE wrote:
    I can't WAIT for that tutorial man! I'll finally be able to get my pathing down. Or at least make it a little neater looking

Has there been any thought on actually editing the files themselves?
    Maybe like replacing a friend with another game entity, like Dr. D or Grond?

I'm trying to understand the file structure in order to be able to replace characters in the demo files.
    edited May 2011
    cptpatriot wrote:
    Has there been any thought on actually editing the files themselves?
    Maybe like replacing a friend with another game entity, like Dr. D or Grond?

I'm trying to understand the file structure in order to be able to replace characters in the demo files.

It's relatively easy to replace costumes on NPCs and a tiny bit more effort to do it for player characters.

For NPCs you basically need to find the spot in the file where the hReferencedCostume line is located and switch out the costume name. For players though, since the information is not stored in the hogg files, you need to locate the pStoredCostume line for the specific entity and remove all that costume information and replace it with an hReferencedCostume line.

Basically, you would have something like:
    pStoredCostume "Costume Name"
    Skeleton Female
    CostumeType Player
    BodyScale 17.103445, 68.275864
    ScaleValues
    Blah
    Blah
    }
    }
    hMood Determined

You would need to delete all of that and replace it with something like:
    hReferencedCostume Destroyer

Also, each entity has this information twice in a demo file so you'll want to replace it at both locations. You'll also probably want to make a copy of the file in case you accidently corrupt it.
    edited May 2011
    Well, I managed to swap the places of Dr. D and my character in a fight I had recorded.

It has to do with the CostumeV5 tag data with the braces.

I just swapped the info within and it worked.
    edited May 2011
    You can also yank costume information from a saved costume tailor file when you open it with a text editor. The layout of the information is identical to that in the brackets.
    edited May 2011
    You guys might want to cut back on the discussion of hacking the demo files, as it's been said its a no-no.
    edited May 2011
    Lohr wrote:
    You guys might want to cut back on the discussion of hacking the demo files, as it's been said its a no-no.

Cited, please.
    edited May 2011
    I think it falls under the posting unreleased content / hacking data files under the forum rules (which I couldn't find stickied on these forums). Granted I might be overly cautious, but you know how things have been around here and that's a 20 point infraction.

http://forums.atari.com/announcement.php?f=90
    edited May 2011
    Lohr wrote:
    I think it falls under the posting unreleased content / hacking data files under the forum rules (which I couldn't find stickied on these forums). Granted I might be overly cautious, but you know how things have been around here and that's a 20 point infraction.

http://forums.atari.com/announcement.php?f=90

I would hope that just prohibits datamining of unreleased character models and maps, because preventing you from changing actors around and editing the demo would be a huge hindrance to machinima authors.
    edited May 2011
    Brou wrote:
    I would hope that just prohibits datamining of unreleased character models and maps, because preventing you from changing actors around and editing the demo would be a huge hindrance to machinima authors.

*nods* Check your PM's though.
    edited May 2011
    Posting Unreleased Content / Hacking Data Files – 20 points
    You may not create posts and/or private messages that contain language, comments, references, links, symbols, terms and/or content that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, show/display and/or discuss any of the following: (a) unreleased in-game items or equipment; (b) areas that have been unlocked by hacking into client data files; and/or (c) data not available through normal game play. Do not post trademarked and/or copyrighted materials (e.g., articles, videos, photos, audio, etc.) that you do not have permission to reproduce, distribute, display, perform, create derivative works of and/or otherwise use. Posting the entire article, even with the source, constitutes copyright infringement. This is not the place to illegally trade or distribute copyrighted (or those with questionable copyright status) video or audio clips.

I don't get how using output created by demorecord would fall under a, b, or c, personally. What are you talking about, Lohr; are you referencing the swapping in the last few posts above? I'm curious, 'cause I plan on getting into working with that utility more in the near future, and I wanna make sure I'm not gonna be getting into any doodoo :p
    edited May 2011
    Basically, don't use unreleased content in your machinima.