test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What would you think if a new Zone was created that is Open PVP?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Unless they create a villain side, I do not see how this would help the game. Even then, it'd be better to create a whole other server where heros and villains could openly attack each other.

The first thing that I don't like about it is that in removes the choice to PvP or not. If there are PvE missions there with rewards for completing them, you are forced to be put in the line of fire to accomplish what is otherwise pure PvE content.

Secondly, there is no real reason for superheroes to openly attack each other in the world. The only situations in which superheros really fight each other is generally for training or some competition (which is where hero games comes in). I don't know comics very well, but it would seem very unsuperheroic to full out attack another hero (with maybe the exception of being mind controlled, in which case it isn't by choice).

The only way II could see PvEish type stuff in PvP is in a battleground situation where the only point of the PvE type missions is purely to advance the PvP objective within the zone. Such as two teams trying to be the first to capture an item in a competition that may require certain steps to be done. In which case one team is trying to complete the objectives first while attempting to hinder the other team from beating them to it. Even then this would fall more in line with a hero game setup and there wouldn't be any real rewards from doing these missions except to advance your team towards the final goal.

Bottom line though, this game isn't a pure PvP game, so anything that takes away that choice is bad in my opinion. You shouldn't have to put yourself in harms way to complete otherwise PvE content.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kiley wrote:
    It seems to me the pvp people want the feeling of open world pvp game back. It isn't so much they want to be able to fight other players, they can do that now. Tthey want the ability to play the lone wolf ninja, stalking their prey and ganking them while they are talking to a vendor or doing mission objectives. I have no problem with that, I remember the old days of UO and such where that was fun for a while.

Why create all new zones just for pvp people. Take that same time to implement the tech to set aside some instances of every zone in the game and flag them as open pvp zones. No new content, but the gist of the wish is granted. People will be going about their normal questing and leveling from level 5 to 40, and if they choose those zones, they will get the thrill of hunting players or being hunted.

Keep it simple, just flag the instances full pvp, no level limits and who can attack who. That just starts a neverending bunch of rules for who can attack who or heal who. Make it full out no holds barred pvp, monitor the usage of those instance for a few months then see if the populations warrants any further investment into open pvp only zones.

If some of every zone instances were made pvp, would that be enough? Would the pvp's within a few weeks be demanding special items or rewards since they are choosing to level up full pvp and are better than the care bears? It always starts out being just for fun and the challenge, and usually ends up with empty pvp instances and those same people saying they have no reason to go there when leveling is easier without pvp.
    You sir, won this debate.

I wish the devs reasoned like you and would at least evaluate such a system.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Terrible idea and in all honesty i think giving out XP for pvp is terrible too..

Seeing as how this game is based on PVE not PVP i dont see why somone should be able to PVP to level up.. That and the constant crying about powers is getting me fed up already it seems the PVP players wont be happy till every powerset is exactly the same to all the other powersets so they can have a level playing feild and nothing gets overused by them in pvp.

Sorry but NO , No more extra pvp junk in this game please there is to much already for the pve content to find the balance needed and to many pve things that need fixing first. I know some folks like it and thats fine but you have to rember that in the developers words PVP IS A ADDITION TO THE GAME.. THE GAME IS NOT BASED ON PVP.

Thus i think some of the PVP events for blood moon are far overdone as well and in fact i think the PVP players will make out better with rewards for participating in bloodmoon than the pve community will at this point.

Anyway just sayin whats on my mind about it .. flame me if you wish pvp players not that it will matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aside from the issue of the game trying to give a plausible reason why heroes would be beating on heroes in a zone I think it would be a fun idea. I always preferred objective themed zones rather than just a place where you go to beat someone up. If anyone remembers Recluse's Victory from City of Heroes you'll know what I mean.

Personally I'd actually like to see a zone with missions, open missions and story arcs where heroes have to allign themselves with different hero groups that have different egenda's and are therefore in competition with each other. It would not be a PvP zone in the sense that you go there just to PvP, instead it would be a zone like any other but you can attack other heroes and you're sent on missions which have a PvP potential to them.

For example. Lets say that PRIMUS wants one hero to plant a bomb to blow up a chemical weapons facility somewhere in this zone, a hero take this mission and heads to the location. Meanwhile a hero group with an ecological perspective want the facility simply shut down and not destroyed because of the biochemical fall out. The ecological hero is sent to hold down the area until reinforcements arrive and inherantly this forces them into conflict with the hero working for PRIMUS. So it's a PvPvE mission
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I for one would love an open PvP zone, with objectives.

As for PvE people arguing against it, it's just blah blah as no one would be forcing you to enter it, just as you're not forced to enter the Hero Games.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Open PVP zones didn't work at all well in COH.

Turned out they were pretty deserted. That is, unless people were grinding one of other reward in there.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am all for it
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Turned out they were pretty deserted. That is, unless people were grinding one of other reward in there.

Not true on the Defiant EU server, i spent months upon months in them when they first appeared. Sure when i went back to the game they were deserted... but so was the rest of the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Test server is where it was at.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Terrible idea and in all honesty i think giving out XP for pvp is terrible too..

So you'd prefer the twink situation that exists in WoW with entire Super Groups devoted to melting faces in the 11-20 bracket?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    KabaalGen wrote:
    Not true on the Defiant EU server, i spent months upon months in them when they first appeared. Sure when i went back to the game they were deserted... but so was the rest of the game.

I happened to live on defiant server. I was playing since before PVP was introduced to the game. What I said is true.

The only zone with any action in there SOMEtimes, was Recluses victory, and half of it was pillboxgrinders.

note: I play COH no longer.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd rather hit myself in the junk with a clawhammer than be forced to set one foot in a PvP zone for PvE content.