test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trident of the Elemental Master

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Hero Games
Any chance we could either get these insane drops either toned down or disabled in PvP? It's starting to get tedious being almost one shotted all the time by an item that seems to have infinite uses. Everyone can complain about power balance as much as they want but these drops are leaps and bounds beyond any power. 5.5k damage from a piece of gear...
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Post a video, it worked for the ridiculous damage laser rifle... ;)
    edited September 2009
    I just can't believe some 0.56 sec cd weapon Items I get from random monster drops.

100/100 charges of 500+ damage with 0.56 sec cd... and this was even before Monster island...
    edited September 2009
    I've no idea what they were thinking of with them, certainly not PvP lol

at present there's usually only between 1 and 3 people in a match with it, but it wont take long for it to catch on and everyone will be PvP'ing with them. No point in using skills when an item hits harder.
    edited September 2009
    the item of which you speak is 100% balanced. it not only gives a WTFBOOM style warning when being used but it can be blocked which makes its damage pathetic. and if you even KB the user, it goes on CD.
    edited September 2009
    if u got 1shotted with it then u need to l2block
    edited September 2009
    Praetox wrote:

You sir are a moron. In the middle of PvP in Stonghold you cannot be aware of your complete surroundings 100% of the time, it's inevitable that someone will hit you with it some of the times, especially ranged flyers. hell half the time i can't see more than my immediate vicinity due to mine or someone elses ice powers anyway.
    edited September 2009
    Praetox wrote:

ever heard of crippling challenge, idiot?
    edited September 2009
    Stricnine wrote:
    ever heard of crippling challenge, idiot?

Which is also changing to disable block for 10 seconds.

What praetox doesnt seem to get is that my problem isn't with my ability to see it incoming but more that it is much more powerful than any skill. the most i've noticed it hitting me for was 5.5k but going back through the combat log yesterday i noticed it hit one of my team mates for 6569 damage, that's probably more than the HP of someone without Con superstatted and focused on. In no way is an item being able to do more damage than a level 40 has health "balanced".
    edited September 2009
    Praetox wrote:

Crippling Challenge
    CC
    Fired From enemy off screen

The kicker is that your sig is a joke about Superman incidentally sodomizing the Invisible Man while trying to rape Wonder Woman. GG
    edited September 2009
    Praetox wrote:

It has a 1.5 second charge. 90% of the time in pvp you will have crippling challenge up on you so that means NO blocking whatsoever and the other 10% you will be either knocked down, pulled, held, or notice half a second before it fires.

If you do not understand this then stop posting on the forums.
    edited September 2009
    Meldash wrote:
    Crippling Challenge
    CC

The kicker is that your sig is a joke about Superman incidentally sodomizing the Invisible Man while trying to rape Wonder Woman. GG

Roflmao.

This was funny.
    edited September 2009
    I currenlty have an item that is lvl 26.

It has 0.56 cast time and 0.56 cd

It is 100/100 charges of 547 dmg

I also have a lvl 26 item

It is 0.56 cast time and 0.56 cd

It is 100/100 charges of 447 dmg

Clearly direct nuke items are not unbalanced an any fashion

(I'm not even listing the 25/25 dd nuke items I also have)
    edited September 2009
    I have to agree the trident is out of whack. It does so much more damage than any of my other powers it's ridiculous, and it doesn't run out. I have pretty high int, so it recharges in 22s (from memory but I think it's around that) for me. If it was on a really long timer, or expired after x amound of uses the damage it does would be more justifiable - as it is though it's maybe 3 or 4 times what I'd expect.

Aswell as this, it's still useable when sidekicked down far below its level. I was helping someone with Psimon and decided to pull it out on him. It worked fine, but unfortunately for me he had a reflect shield up and I pretty much one-shot myself since I only had a little over 2k hp at that level. It was funny though - I probably deserved it too.
    edited September 2009
    Theirs more than just the Trident Ive seen walking around, there are other items such as one being a Rocket Launcher that does indeed 1 shot you and also shows the Boom effect, and Ive seen many comments about pvp and how things are unbalanced, but again.... Pvp in this game is all about your reaction speed and what you can do to counter or escape locks for situations like this. I myself hit for around 4k on a regular basis with my char, because of the way Ive built him. So i also get 1 shotted by these tridents but in all fairness it doesn't bother me because i know ill get my sweet revenge.
    edited September 2009
    Niaseat wrote:
    I currenlty have an item that is lvl 26.

It has 0.56 cast time and 0.56 cd

It is 100/100 charges of 547 dmg

I also have a lvl 26 item

It is 0.56 cast time and 0.56 cd

It is 100/100 charges of 447 dmg

Clearly direct nuke items are not unbalanced an any fashion

(I'm not even listing the 25/25 dd nuke items I also have)

Trident doesn't have charges and does 5000 damage. You see where the difference is here?
    edited September 2009
    opencasket wrote:
    Theirs more than just the Trident Ive seen walking around, there are other items such as one being a Rocket Launcher that does indeed 1 shot you and also shows the Boom effect, and Ive seen many comments about pvp and how things are unbalanced, but again.... Pvp in this game is all about your reaction speed and what you can do to counter or escape locks for situations like this. I myself hit for around 4k on a regular basis with my char, because of the way Ive built him. So i also get 1 shotted by these tridents but in all fairness it doesn't bother me because i know ill get my sweet revenge.

Okay, but how about this scenario. You get crippling challenged or knocked down. In the time it takes you to stand back up or move out of line of sight in ANY situation you will be hit by the trident and as such will take 5k damage that you could do absolutely nothing about.

That has nothing at all to do with reaction speed and everything to do with the item being extremely broken.
    edited September 2009
    Actually it does, because, you can active powers and click things like block while being knocked down and the power will be active while standing up. Also if you've put your talents in right and use the right gear something as simple as getting Electric Sheath will auto break you out of any Lock. Putting the immune effect on you that Lock puts on you, giving you the full duration of time to retaliate.

You can rant about things being op as much as the next guy but when it all comes down to it, its based off the knowledge of powers you know and how fast you can execute the said action to either A. escape or B. Return Fire. So yes there is always something you can do, because the only time i ever get owned by these items is when i glance away for a second or focus to much attention on one person, then by my own Fault i was owned. nice try tho
    edited September 2009
    This thing often does 4000 damage to me on a block, and I have very high defenses. Though typically it's 2000 damage on a block and 6000 on no block.

What I hate is getting killed by it by one guy... and about 1 minute later dying to it by the same guy again.

It needs like a 5-10 minute recharge on it or something. It's also retarded during duels.

- Hypnotoad
    edited September 2009
    opencasket wrote:
    Actually it does, because, you can active powers and click things like block while being knocked down and the power will be active while standing up. Also if you've put your talents in right and use the right gear something as simple as getting Electric Sheath will auto break you out of any Lock. Putting the immune effect on you that Lock puts on you, giving you the full duration of time to retaliate.

You can rant about things being op as much as the next guy but when it all comes down to it, its based off the knowledge of powers you know and how fast you can execute the said action to either A. escape or B. Return Fire. So yes there is always something you can do, because the only time i ever get owned by these items is when i glance away for a second or focus to much attention on one person, then by my own Fault i was owned. nice try tho

Hey, the trident has a shorter cooldown than electric sheath. So either way you're ****ed.
    edited September 2009
    Wow what the hell did they do to the trident? I got it in beta where it was infinite uses but on a long cool down of 2 minutes and only did 400 damage, took about 4 seconds to fire complete with warning icon... How the hell did it suddenly gain 4000 damage?
    edited September 2009
    KabaalGen wrote:
    Any chance we could either get these insane drops either toned down or disabled in PvP? It's starting to get tedious being almost one shotted all the time by an item that seems to have infinite uses. Everyone can complain about power balance as much as they want but these drops are leaps and bounds beyond any power. 5.5k damage from a piece of gear...

/facepalm :o
    edited September 2009
    This is like the only thing people bring into PvP these days. Just got through a UTC match with a bunch of *****es on the enemy team with Tridents.

I see a charge... block... ZAP... 2400 damage. I get zapped again in the same second for another 2000 or so damage while my block is still up. I get my block removed and the third enemy zaps me with a trident for 6446 damage.

It was just a series of that each round. I died to the trident 6 times that match, pretty much every single death because the recharge is so short and the damage is so insanely high.

Please fix this already. Jesus.
    edited September 2009
    I wouldnt mind the trident as much if it werent for the fact that NPC's and turrets in stronghold dont block...
    edited September 2009
    The trident also benefits from electric form, which can up its damage into the 7k range with proper stats. Catching someone unaware or with their block disabled, that's nearly a guaranteed one-shot on almost anyone.
    edited September 2009
    Use nether vortex and make em feel the pain arrrghhhhhhhhhhh !
    edited September 2009
    You whine about an item that can oneshot you if you don't block every 30sec but not about ego blade breach, that can crit for 16k dmg every 3 sec? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    edited September 2009
    Rotkappe wrote:
    You whine about an item that can oneshot you if you don't block every 30sec but not about ego blade breach, that can crit for 16k dmg every 3 sec? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

16k? Screenshot please.
    edited September 2009
    Rotkappe wrote:

I've yet to be hit for that kind of damage and i pvp a lot. And as for whining, it's a legitimate issue and not a whine whereas your post is condescending and rude.
    edited September 2009
    have this item not have any passive bonuses (if it even does) and let it have like 30-50 charges, then disappears, that way, you get a taste for ultimate power, but as soon as you get used to it, it's ripped away

fix'd
    edited September 2009
    Yeah trident is nearly as cheap as mines were. And in the hands of someone like me I'm sure to get it off on you. But let's be honest, you probably wouldn't have stood a chance against a minmaxer like me anyway. I easily have 3-4 skills that can 2 shot someone. Trident is just good to catch a softie off guard while they think they're safe.
    edited September 2009
    After using the Trident for a few Stronghold matches, I'd have to agree. Even with the big icon over your head or the fact that block does reduce the damage; it is overpowered. Not everyone pays attention to their entire surroundings. I was one shotting people like crazy last night. Granted, I use other methods to make sure they are unable to block or don't know I'm nearby, but that is beside the point.

Removing the Trident from game would resolve the issue, but it is an invaluable PvE tool, especially when you consider the damage boosts mobs keep getting. Adding a long CD would also resolve the issue, but again; the PvE aspect would be affected.

The best way to fix this item is to make it disabled while in a PvP instance.
    edited September 2009
    KabaalGen wrote:
    I've yet to be hit for that kind of damage and i pvp a lot. And as for whining, it's a legitimate issue and not a whine whereas your post is condescending and rude.

EBB + Dex/ego high + Avenger +buffs = awesome damage
    edited September 2009
    Hakufu wrote:
    Yeah trident is nearly as cheap as mines were. And in the hands of someone like me I'm sure to get it off on you. But let's be honest, you probably wouldn't have stood a chance against a minmaxer like me anyway. I easily have 3-4 skills that can 2 shot someone. Trident is just good to catch a softie off guard while they think they're safe.

Never had much issue with mines myself. Just walked right through the damn things. And trident isn't just good for softies. I tank really, really well. I may be a softy when it comes to my number of hitpoints(near 6500), but can easily take a lot of punishment. It still one shots me when I get my block interrupted.
    edited September 2009
    Rotkappe wrote:
    EBB + Dex/ego high + Avenger +buffs = awesome damage

I've seen someone doing all that and putting out 4k from their third EBB (of course because the first two stacked debuffs). But 4k is nowhere near 16k. So once again, I'd like to see a screen shot of 16k damage using EBB.
    edited September 2009
    You might be able to do it if you stacked the +100% damage and -100% enemy resist craftables from Science, plus collective will.
    edited September 2009
    Bisonberg wrote:
    I've seen someone doing all that and putting out 4k from their third EBB (of course because the first two stacked debuffs). But 4k is nowhere near 16k. So once again, I'd like to see a screen shot of 16k damage using EBB.

he must have really sucked because I just respecced into a pre/end support build that uses a combo of TK darts / TK eruption with EBB and my stats right now are completely out of whack since I was originally geared for end/recovery and I can still hit for 3k+ on my 3rd hit or so.... in sentinal role

I don't know about 16k but 4k is really weak if he was using a crit build... I hope he wasent
    edited September 2009
    This thread isnt about other powers, if you feel other powers are overpowered then feel free to make their own thread. Otherwise they are going to get lost in the midst of this one.

All this thread is about is an item that's being abused.
    edited September 2009
    Had my first encounter with this tonight, the entire enemy team in apocalypse spamming it the entire fight. Wasn't even remotely fun. This needs to be fixed like, yesterday.

Edit: And no we couldn't block, they had ranged block breaking abilities.
    edited September 2009
    KabaalGen wrote:
    This thread isnt about other powers, if you feel other powers are overpowered then feel free to make their own thread. Otherwise they are going to get lost in the midst of this one.

All this thread is about is an item that's being abused.

True but in comparison to what? People are going to need to relay their experiences with other powers to argue whether this one is crazy OP or not.
    edited September 2009
    is this one of those drops that happen once a month or a quest reward? If it's a reward, I'd agree. If it's some super uber loot drop, then O.o
    edited September 2009
    squoke wrote:
    is this one of those drops that happen once a month or a quest reward? If it's a reward, I'd agree. If it's some super uber loot drop, then O.o

I don't know how rare it is but it is indeed a drop.
    edited September 2009
    I don't know how rare they are, but mine dropped off my first kill.

The devs really need to look at tweaking the trident. Someone suggested a video be made -- done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-LlmdPv6c
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for posting the video Chronic .. the mid air trident was the best, had me laughing my ### off.

And when you blasted me when we were going to tag team trident Dest I got my revenge I dropped back in and got you with my trident.

Thanks for making the video I hope this helps fix what I see as a problematic item.

Ex
    edited September 2009
    its way OP, I don't even use it tho I do have it, unless I see someone start spamming it in which case I return the favor.
    edited September 2009
    Hahaha. Damn.
    edited September 2009
    This item is the best thing ever. Epic PvP whines ftw.

I will admit it's very OP, though. If I get someone down to 75% and hit them with chains, it's GG.
    edited September 2009
    I have one, makes taking down villains and super villains crazy easy.

Hope I make it to 40 before they nerf it so I can keep soloing group content. :P
    edited September 2009
    Meldash wrote:
    Crippling Challenge
    CC

Which he also stole from the movie Hollow Man. 0 originality sigs have 0 originality.
    edited September 2009
    Which he also stole from the movie Hollow Man. 0 originality sigs have 0 originality.

I heard that joke on the playground in 1977. Still makes me chuckle.
    edited September 2009
    KabaalGen wrote:

For years on coh we yearned for cool effective temp powers to further develop character concepts. If an item is being actually effective in pvp that is a good thing. Most i have found so far are barely able to dent a player and so I only carry ones taht heal me or buff me usually. and maybe a hold power I have to. And in the end we all can get them so it is balanced. Dont pvp unless your prepared, items are part of the game use them or die to those who do.