test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Qularr Invasion Broken

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Gameplay Bugs
Yeah, the Head Start event is broken... the Qularr come down, if we're lucky there's enough of them for more than 2 players... but then any that aren't killed, suddenly die en mass 20 seconds after spawning, regardless of their health or combat status.

How is anyone supposed to get the Perk when we only have 20 seconds (and all of 5 Qularr) each hour to do anything?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Have not seen that, I have seen in the desert area for instance, they appear rarely, and in numbers no where near sufficent for the number of people piling in. the "invasion"'s are stamped out in 30 seconds most of the time, giving any given person 1-2 kills.
    edited August 2009
    Well, at least you guys seem to be able to get into the game. I have been stuck at retriving character list for two days now. I am starting to think that putting the entire game on one server was a huge, huge, huge, bad idea. :(
    edited August 2009
    ya I seen it end in 2min a few times now in canada and MC.
    edited August 2009
    Just saw it happen in MC. (Forget which shard it was in)

Invasion was called. half a minute later, they pressed their attack, 20 seconds, leaders came, then they, uh.. self defeated. All of this was in a matter of under 2 minutes. It didn't have many people there, so something is definitely wrong.

Thanks,
    -Dragon
    edited August 2009
    There need to be more that spawn and change the time in between spawning! So we can get this cool stuff!
    edited August 2009
    I agree, the spawn rate is rediculous.

One of the perks is to kill 100 of the buggers, but that's next to impossible to do on more than one character as the spawn rate is about 5 an hour.
    edited August 2009
    I've received both perks already, getting 70+ kills in the desert before the swarmlords even spawned. Someone mentioned in chat that it spawns numbers based on the # of players in the area for the event. I'm not a dev, so I can't say for sure that this is 100% true, but I finished the champion achievement in a group of 5 with at least another full group in the area. Your best bet is to hit up one of the two starting zones in the desert or canada, seems to have a much better chance at higher spawn rates (especially if the above is true since those are the two major quest hubs in the areas). And make sure you're in a full group, otherwise, you'll be solo grinding invasion after invasion. Then sit back, rack up the kill count, and enjoy your Dr. Silverback action figure ;)
    edited August 2009
    I did this just fine early on with my first char. I did it both with lots of people around and when there were less than 10 and each wave of the attack lasted a few minutes and you would get dozens of kills each time.

Today, however it seems totally broken. Each wave of the invasion lasts mere seconds, and the whole thing ends inside of 1 minute. I have been at it for several hours today in the desert, canada and MC, with large groups of people and small. EVERYTIME it ends inside of 1 minute. I have managed to get 19 of 100 kills so far, which is pretty much unacceptable. My very first invasion i got 59. So something is broken, please dev's, fix this before its too late.
    edited August 2009
    I just finished both perks, I killed 100 and killed and Invasion Leader, but I went to the toymaster and he will not give me the action figures and I have both perks completed. Anyone else have this happen?
    edited August 2009
    Event is broken for me. My character is in the Desert section. The attack is called, I get to kill (if lucky) 2 or 3 Qulaar, the other 15 to 30 people around me get to kill a few, then like has been posted before in this thread, they all die suddenly all at once. I can get a stopwatch and time the thing, it's the same every time like clockwork. And I don't think group size has any effect on the event, as far as I can tell, and if it does the whole swarm dies like clockwork so I haven't had much time to compare swarm sizes. I killed, in about 3 hours roughly of trying last night, 25 maybe? They seriously need to up the respawn numbers on this event.

Oh, and as a side note, I have yet to get a gear drop from the event itself, but at least twice I have gotten a Qulaar gun from the starter area, go figure.
    edited August 2009
    Dirtnap wrote:
    I just finished both perks, I killed 100 and killed and Invasion Leader, but I went to the toymaster and he will not give me the action figures and I have both perks completed. Anyone else have this happen?

This also happend to me. But when i logged out and came back later they were both there, plus a few extras in my invetory i had to delete lol
    edited August 2009
    We got some good feedback on this; we'll be tweaking spawn rates (or have dynamic spawn scaling) on future events.
    edited August 2009
    Arkayne wrote:
    We got some good feedback on this; we'll be tweaking spawn rates (or have dynamic spawn scaling) on future events.

I don't think it's the spawn rate exactly that's the problem... mostly it's the fact that the spawns all suddenly die simultaneously for no reason
    edited August 2009
    Arkayne wrote:

And make the Swarm Leaders slightly more durable than fine china please.
    edited August 2009
    Arkayne wrote:

Please do, cause this "event" was a pos.
    edited August 2009
    Arkayne wrote:

So, seeing as you specified FUTURE events, can we take this as a confirmation that we WON'T be getting any changes on this one?
    edited August 2009
    I don't think it's the spawn rate exactly that's the problem... mostly it's the fact that the spawns all suddenly die simultaneously for no reason

They die when the Swarm Leaders are defeated.
    edited August 2009
    Yes, it looks like they all die once the Swarm Leaders are killed.

I can't offer too much insight on this myself, save for the above. I seem to be one of the few who experienced an invasion that lasted more than five minutes and went through multiple waves. In a good team, i actually finished the 100 Qularr kills perk from scratch during one invasion mission.

To be fair though, i seem to have gotten really, really lucky.
    edited August 2009
    Um ok so i have the invasion leader perk and it allows me to buy the toy but i cant get it into my character pan and i see it in my bag but cant click it....anyone have similar issues?
    edited August 2009
    Arkayne wrote:

What about those of us who wasted the entire weekend trying for it and only ended up with a few kills.. Mainly becasue you guys failed to fix it before hand.. WHat we are just screwed then and get nothing??? WHere there were others who were able to get it in 1 run.. those of us who were unable to be there the moment it started got nothing and wasted hours.

That is completly unfair
    edited August 2009
    shova wrote:
    Um ok so i have the invasion leader perk and it allows me to buy the toy but i cant get it into my character pan and i see it in my bag but cant click it....anyone have similar issues?

It'll be there. It takes a little bit to show up in your Action Figure panel. In fact, i think i had to log out and it showed up upon logging back in later. But i can confirm they're both present, though there does seem to be an issue when purchasing (at least from my experience).
    edited August 2009

ALL of them die suddenly even at full health with nothing attacking them, INCLUDING the leaders.
    edited August 2009
    makes sense to me to just fix the thing then extend it past launch... but that would just make too much sense...
    edited August 2009
    doesn't make sense to extend it past launch actually since it's a bonus to pre-launch people only
    edited August 2009
    Alkainen wrote:
    Yes, it looks like they all die once the Swarm Leaders are killed.

I can't offer too much insight on this myself, save for the above. I seem to be one of the few who experienced an invasion that lasted more than five minutes and went through multiple waves. In a good team, i actually finished the 100 Qularr kills perk from scratch during one invasion mission.

To be fair though, i seem to have gotten really, really lucky.

I went through several of these battles in the Desert yesterday. While I thought the spawn interval was too long, the battle script itself was working fine. There were a lot of players killing, and there were a lot of bugs to be squashed. The battle didn't end until the players had killed everything.

Today in the Desert was a totally different experience. Again, I went through many of the spawns. Each event had many less bugs to squash compared to yesterday. And everything just fell over dead as soon as the message about Swarm Leaders being defeated was made. In some cases, I watched a Swarm Leader at near-full health just fall over. I don't think it's because my amazing Level 9 character one-shotted it.

Something definitely changed between yesterday and today.

For those still trying to get these Perks, team up. You'll get credit for the kills of everyone on your team. Whether the battle goes back to lasting a while or stays a flash-in-the-pan, for this event is extremely advantageous to be on a team.
    edited August 2009
    I think that part of the problem is that the NPC soldiers are very capable. Even without player intervention they seem capable of destroying the swarms within seconds on their own. I would suggest greatly reducing their damage and increasing their defense, so that they could clean up the remaining aliens if absolutely necessary, but it would take them like ten minutes or more if the players weren't helping.
    edited August 2009
    Jiinx wrote:
    For those still trying to get these Perks, team up. You'll get credit for the kills of everyone on your team. Whether the battle goes back to lasting a while or stays a flash-in-the-pan, for this event is extremely advantageous to be on a team.

It is. And if the spawn rates are too slow, do yourself a favor and do some record-keeping. Turn timestamps on in the chat window. Write down what time the leaders were defeated.

... go to a different shard. Whether they start this way or just turn out like this, they're on different timers. When you finish an invasion for the new shard, write down the time.

... go to a different shard. Get yourself a list of shards and times and make sure you make it back to your first shard in 45 minutes. After my team started doing this, my friend ended up getting the last 50 kills in about an hour.
    edited August 2009

how did this rumor get started...
    edited August 2009
    doesn't make sense to extend it past launch actually since it's a bonus to pre-launch people only

Not much of a bonus if most can't actually achieve it. But, let me guess... you have it already and don't really care about any other pre-launcher?
    edited August 2009
    kylemesa wrote:
    how did this rumor get started...

Not a rumour--an observation. Some of us have tried to get folks to leave the big guys alone and let us keep killing the followers to move toward the perk, but the phrase "herding cats" comes to mind yet again...
    edited August 2009
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing this extended past launch a bit anyhow. I have the perks myself but I know of a couple people that didn't realize the headstart was limited to pre-orders from only certain retailers. Sure, maybe they should have read a bit closer before buying but still. Would be nice to see them have the chance to try this event too.

I do hope that more events will be coming up as well. I mean, in a single weekend of playing I managed to hit level 16. At that rate it wont be long before I hit 40 and continued events will keep interest up.
    edited August 2009
    If they only fix this for future events then all of us who worked to get into this event and can't get the perks because Cryptic won't fix the problem for this EVENT just get screwed. A once only event, they know it's broken, and don't fix it or at least extend it. What a great way to kick off a game.
    edited August 2009
    Culogh wrote:
    Not much of a bonus if most can't actually achieve it. But, let me guess... you have it already and don't really care about any other pre-launcher?

I didn't have it already when I first was participating in this thread. It's broken, but it doesn't make any sense for them to extend it to the people who aren't part of the pre-launch. What makes more sense is to look at the people who participated in any capacity (ie. have at least 1 kill from the event), and just award them the perks to make up for the error.
    edited August 2009
    Glad to see you guys are planning on fixing future events to be more fun. This one sadly has been a disapointment. Sitting around waiting for spawns only to have them die instantly or near enough is not fun in the least.

Kind of frustrating since I absolutely love the toy you get for the 100 kill perk. :/
    edited August 2009
    I didn't have it already when I first was participating in this thread. It's broken, but it doesn't make any sense for them to extend it to the people who aren't part of the pre-launch. What makes more sense is to look at the people who participated in any capacity (ie. have at least 1 kill from the event), and just award them the perks to make up for the error.

I second the notion. I participated in 6 or 7 invasions and got fed up with the 45 second duration of the entire thing. This event is a complete and utter joke. If you have the patience to sit around through this event and get 100 kills you're fracking super human in real life.

Cryptic got it right with the Destroid assault at end of OB, but man.... Guess they used up their qouta.
    edited August 2009

You know, I'd love this I really would. They already did it with the Open Beta rewards so why not just toss it out as another headstart perk at this point?
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, waiting almost an hour for a 30 second invasion so far has meant that I'm lucky if I land a single hit on the Swarmlord before they get fragged. I have the same problem you all do, I have to work so I'm basically just bored and frustrated trying to get some of these unique items. And since it doesn't unlock on the account level I have to do it with any character I plan on using. Since it's my last night this week that I can play I guess I won't be seeing any of the rewards on this one...

I was lucky enough to have someone else that could land a few shots on the destroid at end of beta for me...
    edited August 2009
    Using the timer method atm and picked up 16 more so far. 3 hours before I'll have to log, maybe I'll actually pull it off. 28/100 atm. lol
    edited August 2009
    First it is taking too long for the bugs to appear in between waves. Sorry. That is just a fact. Then to top it off IF you are there when one shows up they die. Happened to me twice. So there really isn't a prelaunch headstart event really. It is a farce. A sad one.

Easy fix. Patch it so that they are there the whole time. Makes sense. No more waves. Just have the spawnlords in waves or something and for God's sake find out why they all die at once over and over! This will make up for this loser event. 2 whole days and I cannot get my perk because they die or take eons show up only to be AoEd to death by a high level jerk? Come on...
    edited August 2009
    What I don't get is lack of consistency.

Saturday, I reached 100 bugs in two waves, Sunday I reached 63 with 10-12 waves?
    edited August 2009
    It is because it is dependant on the intelligence level of the people also partaking in the event.
    If you have people who listen and do not kill the Spawn Lords then it can go on for quite some time, in general though people will just ignore the groups of 10 to 20 people saying please do not kill the spawners, and do it anyways, thus ending it quickly.
    edited August 2009
    Halaster wrote:
    It is because it is dependant on the intelligence level of the people also partaking in the event.
    If you have people who listen and do not kill the Spawn Lords then it can go on for quite some time, in general though people will just ignore the groups of 10 to 20 people saying please do not kill the spawners, and do it anyways, thus ending it quickly.

That is incorrect, Saturday it was a AOE extravaganza and still they came, plus I saw over 4 Spawn lords landing, yesterdays events sported only one.
    edited August 2009
    It is not dependant on the intelligence level of the people playing. It is dependant on how long it takes the bugs to commit suicide. They're like that; they see a system message saying 'THE SPAWN LORDS HAVE BEEN DEFEATED' and they go 'oops, we're supposed to be dead! *ERK*'

But thanks for the insult, I love you too!
    edited August 2009
    Halaster wrote:

I just finished the perk since my last post in this thread. I used the timer method of adding 45 minutes to when you got the Defeated message and a wrote stuff down. After getting 3 instances figured out it made things faster. Not fast mind you as it still took almost 4 hours to do this, but faster.

In all of that time, it wasn't us killing the Spawn Lords. It was them commiting suicide that ended the events in 1-2 minutes each time. In one of the instances it was only my group and we avoided killing them. They still popped and kill everything else instantly though.

The event is bugged (besides the Aliens) and it isn't due to people screwing it up.

----

All that said, even though I just worked for my 'Doctor Silverback' action figure, I wouldn't mind seeing them do something to help out those who don't have 4 hours to spend sitting on this event.
    edited August 2009
    I have observed that spawn lords fall from some height and die the moment they hit the ground, could it be they take massive falling damage?
    edited August 2009
    Just now:

[6:32] [System] [Default] The Qularr are invading!
    [6:32] [System] [NeighborhoodEntered] Burnside
    [6:32] [System] [Default] The Qualrr (sic) are reinforcing their effort!
    [6:32] [System] [Default] The Swarm Leaders have landed!
    [6:32] [System] [NeighborhoodEntered] Burning Sands
    [6:32] [System] [Default] The Swarm Leaders have been DEFEATED!

Yeaaaaah. Note that those numbers are the timestamps. This has happened on just about every invasion I've seen. Earlier tonight, I was unable to reach the fountain invasion point in MC from the far side of the Ren Center with fully charged flight before the thing ended. At best, I get there soon enough to tag one or two before it dies.
    edited August 2009
    Yep, quickest I've seen is 15 seconds.

And while killing the Swarm Lords might knock out the rest of their spawn, it doesn't stop the invasion. When my main finally got the 100 it was something like a 20-30 minute battle, 5 solid minutes of which was just carving up the Swarn Lords.
    edited August 2009
    yeah this is really fustrating.. Im usualy on the other side of the map when I do see a message and when I get their its all over.. the few times I've been in a fight its over so fast I barely get one or two of them. I dont want to spend time waiting for the 2 second fights I'd like to play the game
    edited August 2009
    It might be worth some of you guys checking out Canada...unless you already have.

I did 2 or 3 invasions there and got my perks. Loads of aliens spawning and sometimes quite distant from the NPCs. Seemed to take ages on the third go.

Just walking about in MC after that I noticed the alert messages coming and going in no time at all.

Just an idea
    edited August 2009
    Arkayne wrote:

One of the big issues is that the NPCs will kill them without anyone even being there. Also maybe some kind of announcement that actually gives you time to get to the event from somewhere else in the zone. Camping an area for an event sucks.

And the drop rates for items is really way out of whack considering they will never pop up again. There are people that are level 10+ in the tutorial zone farming just one of the items. That is horrible.