test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devices are just a scam, give me more powers options

Wonder as to why we don't get new powers, well devices that you can get, that are bound to the character are a way to limit powers and make money. Where as before they would make a power or set of them and then all could make many characters using them. This limits it to only one, power unlocks were the start of power limiting. Another was limits of number of characters you can make, this has gotten out of hand and i for one am tired of this game being little more than a fashion show of which i can't make any more characters as i am at 140 or so so way over the limit. this has stifled my creative ability to a point i rarely even log on long any more as even getting something you are now force to do things like 10 times or so.

I am just going to log off for maybe a year or so and do something more fun like watching paint dry or hit my head with a hammer. The forced game play and constant hurdles you make a person jump through just for a different power look or some cosmetic costume option is just stupid. The game was fun this would not be as big an issue as it is, but the fun has been sucked out beaten to death skinned and the hid tacked up and tanned and cryptic is wearing it as a suit to board meetings with a smile.

Comments

• Options
    I've been on and off since 2009, the game has yet to get good in gameplay. Whereas the way powers are implemented are boring, lackluster, uninspired.

Which is why, I don't think anything of that will ever be actively targeted. We never got anything of true major significance post-F2P. Most of that content was already being worked on around 2010.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    The devs say that revamping power sets is hard. Devices are easier and they claim that players love devices (not sure if this is from a systematic stratifed random pol, or if they just asked their friends). I do agree that powers useable across all characters are much better (by far) than the devices the devs have become so fond of.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    rhymere#3035 rhymere Posts: 486 Arc User
    I love devices. I just wish they were account bound.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    I didn't bother farming nor buying the new Bloodmoon Devices! I have my own powers to apply the Debuffs
    As for the Toxic Melee PVDs, I have a Dual Blade Toxic melee build and I'M NOT sacrificing my Dual Blade weapon skins for Radioctive Ego Blades, it ruins my aesthetic for this reason alone!
    EDIT: after some calculations and PTS testing, I gave in because the PVDs make the Theme build more optimized and stable, RIP Dual MA Blades :pensive:
    At least that Mutated Axe skin from TT available in TK skins is a nice replacement for what i was using

In my opinion the PVDs, even though they can be fun and creative, they are causing a lot of damage and extended Gaps to the unrevamped powerframes which inner core is still stuck on Pre-Alert era!
    Gadget Powerframe is basically a JOKE now

Not only that, Melee PVDs have their respective debuffs stuck on range only (Sonic and Electric damage for example but TOXIC blades PVD was given a melee Debuff WTH?) creating a whole GAP between Theme and Build Efficiency!
    Take Electric Vengeance PVD for example, oh cool Electric Melee power, but no melee power to apply the Electric Debuff!

Also it's freaking hilarious they wasted DEV Time to create the Havoc Hammer PVD only to waste additional DEV time to nerf it and make it useless! WELL DONE! :+1::+1::+1::+1:
    As good as NERFING the entire vehicle system instead of fixing and revamping an entire powerframe, 10/10

The Devices/PVDs are the Carrot on the Stick and the CO playerbase is the Donkey that keeps falling for it!

I wished for ELEMENTAL Melee powers, and the Monkey Paw has corrupted my Wish!
    Can't wait to get Fire Melee PVDs with Bestial as Base /s
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    godhandxiiigodhandxiii Posts: 69 Arc User
    I don't hate devices at all, but I like them as something to complement or fill a gap for your build, not something that's central to a build in the way that PVDs are. I've suggested this before but... yeah.

In-character-wise, the concept of PVDs can be stupid too. It's like being Human Torch, except he needs a flamethrower to function instead of relying on his own powers.

I really wish I'd get an answer though - is this a database issue that's making new powers "hard?" From a scripting standpoint, how the devices function should practically be the same as the powers. PVDs even cross reference power ranks (which could potentially even spiral into more spaghetti code) so... what is going on here?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    It's like being Human Torch, except he needs a flamethrower to function instead of relying on his own powers.
    However, this can easily be explained off in a multiple of ways:

Using these and some other stuff in regards to cybernetics and fantasy stuff:
    "Mystic Gadgeteer: This character functions similarly to a Techie Gadgeteer, but his devices are magical in nature, and he’s usually an Occultist rather than some kind of technological wiz."
    "A Gadgeteer uses devices in place of actual superpowers (such as a laser gun instead of an innate laser blast, or a jetpack instead of self-powered flight). "
    "TECHIE: The “pure” Gadgeteer; a gifted inventor, engineer, and/or scientist who uses his skills to design and build amazing technology."
    "Often, the character builds these gadgets himself; other times, he’s the beneficiary or agent of someone who provides the items to him. Examples include wearers of powered armor and space-policemen with astonishing will-powered superweapons."

Magical flamethrower acting like a power ring that imbues the user with:
    - Flame Aura: "A sheath or mantle of flame covers the character’s body. Anyone who touches him, or whom he Grabs, gets burned."
    - Fire Shield: "The character surrounds himself with a mantle of fire that protects him from attacks. It has greater effect against energy attacks than physical attacks."
    While having access to Everburning Fireball eqv. (Maintained/Constant AoE Blast) or Everburning Fire Blast eqv. (Maintained/Constant ST Blast), etc(additional powers).

An integrated power core (power armor via cybernetics) with the power core active:
    - Flame Aura and Fire Shield, toggle/maintain/constant etc.
    - Hands can transform and combine into a flamethrower do the same as above.

Or, be a half-elemental of fire who needs a foci/focus that just happens to be a flamethrower, etc.

Even if these act like extrinsic powers/"Devices" they are in fact CP-purchasable(Online eqv: level-purchasable) as intrinsic powers.

Rather, than have performance deficiency against Everquest, World of Warcraft, and Perfect World. Cryptic needs to restart and look at the RPG and convert and improve that to a MMORPG.

Single Framework of F2P "Pure Energy":
    Energy Bolts -> Palm, Fist, Head, Weaponry(think Link(Max HP)+Master Sword for sword), etc "premium" Emanation points
    Energy Melee -> Fist, Sword, etc "premium" Emanation points
    etc. (all powers converted to the single "energy" framework).

Use Convert points at power house. Converts go from free "energy" framework to a reskinned premium "flavored" framework. All advantages should be shared between same outcome powers.
  • Options
    omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    I think devices are a fun way to get more powers outside your limit or AT. I just wish some of them had shorter cooldowns and that some of the event ones were account bound instead of character.
  • Options
    qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    Making a new power require 3 animation and fx for each Rank. This alone was touted as the reason why there aren't any new powers as of late. PVD only require one animation in comparison, and its "profitable".
  • Options
    spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    The new power Sonic Beam came out about a week ago. I'd rather another power set revamp over new powers personally. The Earth power set, in particular, since it seems subpar compared to others.
  • Options
    qawsada wrote: »
    Making a new power require 3 animation and fx for each Rank. This alone was touted as the reason why there aren't any new powers as of late. PVD only require one animation in comparison, and its "profitable".

For someone like me (100 characters) this math doesn't work. I'd much rather the devs spend 3x the time to revamp/create powers that I can potentially use on many characters than on a device that I will only use on one character.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    qawsada wrote: »

For someone like me (100 characters) this math doesn't work. I'd much rather the devs spend 3x the time to revamp/create powers that I can potentially use on many characters than on a device that I will only use on one character.​​

Even if I'd like to use the device on a few characters, the chance of getting ONE drop, let alone multiples is very low. So many players never see a single drop for themselves, while others can get multiples. And, if it is new, then the price of the new PVD is so outrageous on the AH due to it's rarity.

I suppose THAT is the point though. Make the players PLAY (farm) in order to (maybe) get one as a drop. At least the ones released during a Blood Moon(?) event were added to the SCR store. So, you could farm tokens and, as long as you had the requisite perk, you could just outright buy it there.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    The PVDs are such rare drops that I don't even bother to try to farm for them.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    Maybe they can simulate a new power set with Devices. They may need a method of Grouping them and make the Bind to Account.
  • Options
    I am still of the opinion that the frameworks shouldn't have a theme. It would be really convenient to be able to take a basic mechanic power and flavor it myself.

Frenzy/Shred -> Replace the Slashing+Bleed => With Fire+Clinging Flames, Ice+Chilled, Electric+Negative Ions, Dimensional+Fear, Magic+Mystified/Hexed/Jinxed, Earth+Stagger, etc.

or
    Strafing Run and Orbital Cannon -> Replace the Fire(SR) and Particle(OC) => With Ice+Chilled, Electric+Negative Ions, Dimensional+Fear, etc.

or
    etc. locked to a single theme powers.

Without needing a device to eventually do it.

Champions RPG (Blasts w/ no additional sub-mechanics)
    Energy Blast = 40 pts
    Fire Blast = 40 pts
    etc other blasts
    EB = Generic Energy visuals
    FB = Fire visuals
    etc other blasts = other visuals other than the above.

It is really annoying when my costume doesn't match my planned character. As there isn't enough diverse powers because Cryptic shot themselves in the foot.

I can't even go from Superhero MMO 1.0 "Midnight Hour" character to whatever we have now. As the powers I used then happen to still not exist in 2.0. Nevermind whats going on in "Second Chances" currently.
  • Options
    Thaat's the way the original PnP game works. However, the original CO devs didn't go that route. Maybe they feared there would be even more mini-maxing than there is now? Maybe it was too complicated? Who knows. But this would be such a massive overhaul of the basic game that it will never, ever happen.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    Thaat's the way the original PnP game works. However, the original CO devs didn't go that route. Maybe they feared there would be even more mini-maxing than there is now? Maybe it was too complicated? Who knows. But this would be such a massive overhaul of the basic game that it will never, ever happen.​​
    Well, only partially leaning on how Champions RPG works on the surface. The RPG is a point-progression system and Champions Online is a level-progression system. So, there were going to be changes. It was never going to be 1:1:

"We are using systems that are essentially the same, but fit the MMORPG genre somewhat better. In Champions Online, we will have Dark Blast, Ice Blast, etc. Now, a player will be able to affect how these things develop, but this won't be an orthogonal to the choices in the HERO system.

Our inspiration from the Champions RPG is to allow players to customize their powers. Rather than trying to copy the specific power advantages and limitations (and the +/- fractions), we're trying to achieve the same goal of power customization."

This is before the 2K Games -> Infogrames/Atari publisher switch: December 2008 versus March 2008. If 2K Games was still publisher we would have probably have "Energy Projector - Blast Template Power." After Cryptic got out of the unique power self-inflected wound. Which could then be developed from:
    Energy Blast: Generic Energy Damage // The character can project a blast of energy.
    To:
    Fire Blast: Fire Damage // The character can project a blast of flame capable of inflicting severe burns and injuries on targets.
    Dark Blast: Dark Damage // The character projects a blast of inky black energy that strikes with devastating force.
    Ice Blast: Ice Damage // The character can injure his enemies with a blast of icy energy.
    etc.

The issue now is one-road theme min-maxing. If all attack-style themes had same potential of min-max then it wouldn't be an issue.
    Thundering Kicks (Base) => Crushing Damage // "Martials Arts Melee10ft - Dodge - Combo Template Power."
    To: (Cleave-like)
    Crushing + Fire
    Crushing + Ice
    Crushing + Electric
    Crushing + Earth
    Crushing + Particle
    Crushing + Dimensional
    Crushing + Magic
    Crushing + Poison
    Or: (Pure Energy-like :: lean heavily on an evolution of Champions IP Martial Arts' "Empty Force" )
    Ditch the Physical damage all together.
    etc.

Since, DECA Games will be picking it up; current CEO quote: "Under Gearbox, for our live games, they were operated independently. We did not utilize Gearbox talent or tech while supporting these games. Most of the support we received from Gearbox was focused on the new games we were spinning up.

With DECA, we're moving the games to them. It's a vastly different approach. DECA is building a team to operate these games with some support and expertise from Cryptic."

I feel like new staff will have a higher chance for an overhaul than old staff.
  • Options
    locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited March 16
    I've been on and off since 2009, the game has yet to get good in gameplay. Whereas the way powers are implemented are boring, lackluster, uninspired.

Which is why, I don't think anything of that will ever be actively targeted. We never got anything of true major significance post-F2P. Most of that content was already being worked on around 2010.

I agree. I was praying, still am, that Gearbox was aware enough to see what they inherited on the Cryptic deal, and develop a CO 2rd Age, or some sequel game that appeals to both returning and current player as well as new players who want a good, quality cbm mmo.

But there doesn't seem to be an awareness surrounding what they can do going forward, and the gameplay/writing just doesn't excuse the poor character aesthetics.

I've tried to get a few people, ex-DCUO players on CO, but it just didn't click when it should have on paper.

• Options
    I feel like new staff will have a higher chance for an overhaul than old staff.

Not unless they (new owners) think that what they do (putting money into CO) is going to bring in more return on ivestment, which no owner of CO since the beginning seems to have believed. Throwing good money after bad, and all that.

I feel kind of bad of all the wasted resources that went into dead end vehicles and the inept Onslaught system. How many better things could those resources have been used on. Sigh.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    I agree. I was praying, still am, that Gearbox was aware enough to see what they inherited on the Cryptic deal, and develop a CO 2rd Age, or some sequel game that appeals to both returning and current player as well as new players who want a good, quality cbm mmo.
    Not unless they (new owners) think that what they do (putting money into CO) is going to bring in more return on investment, which no owner of CO since the beginning seems to have believed. Throwing good money after bad, and all that.
    Perfect World Entertainment and Gearbox Publishing largely operated the same. With a focus on newer IP and letting Cryptic run Champions Online independently. In turn, it was unlikely that PWE/GBP would fund an overhaul.

DECA Games however is operating completely differently. Where Champions Online will be a focused product under them. With this it is likely that DECA Games WILL spend money on Champions Online. Where an overhaul is likely to get an improvement in general marketability.
    I feel kind of bad of all the wasted resources that went into dead end vehicles and the inept Onslaught system. How many better things could those resources have been used on. Sigh.​​
    I don't think majority of new players even survive to the PVD/Onslaught/Vehicle mod grind.

The actual strategy that would be correct is to end all additional content. Shortly after Champions Online failed to hit initial subscription targets. Which was a sign of:
    - Failure to attract Champions RPG players
    - Failure to attract City of Heroes players
    - Failure to attract Fantasy MMORPG players

Which should have lead to a build-up to something like A Realm Reborn. Restart and try again and hoping for success is better than taking the hit and bulldozing through failure.
    But there doesn't seem to be an awareness surrounding what they can do going forward, and the gameplay/writing just doesn't excuse the poor character aesthetics.

I've tried to get a few people, ex-DCUO players on CO, but it just didn't click when it should have on paper.
    Cinematic Potential is the thing we need. Where to solve Champions Online visual/lack of coolness issue. All they need to do is commission a Cinematic. Then, have the overhaul be built around that.

Cinematic-ness can actually be shrunk down to how well Dual Pistols look.
    City of Heroes = Top-tier
    DC Universe Online = Top-tier
    Champions Online = Good thing the main staple of Dark Champions/Hudson City didn't get transferred. The Harbinger of Farts would not be intimidating or cool at all.

For example of cinematic potential being converted over to coolness:
    City of Heroes has four cinematics (Base, Asia, Villains, Going Rogue). DC Universe Online has two cinematics the fan-esque one based on the 2008 trailer and the actual cinematic both shown in 2010. Champions Online does not have a cinematic thus doesn't have any sustained hype aka converted coolness via trailer.

RotMG Exalt Official Release Trailer <-- 45 seconds of a cinematic. Where for Cryptic's library especially Champions. It would actually work without it being a divisive release.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Watched the Twitch livestream with the execs today, and I was a little surprised. I was hoping to hear CO would at least remain in maintenance mode, but they were talking about a new mission, which (to the best of my knowledge) hasn't come about since the Cobra mess at the docks! All remains to be seen, of course (I've long since learned not to believe anything here until it actually comes across my screen), but at the very least the game won't be going away despite my concerns.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
    At this point, I'd like to have more Device slots since I doubt they'd raise the level cap for more power slots, lol
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    renegade0 wrote: »
    At this point, I'd like to have more Device slots since I doubt they'd raise the level cap for more power slots, lol

+1
    Another Device slot bar (5 slots) would be welcome.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"