Tried to post this long ago but it deleted itself while editing it & I wasn't gonna rewrite it. This is another attempt. I think these changes would make both powers far more effective & useful both inside & out of the Force framework.
Personal Force Field:
Slotted Defensive Passive
Currently, PFF applies a regenerative shield/buffer over your base health scaling with your super stats. It's main problems are:
- Provides no defensive benefit to the user.
- The shield does not take user defense as a factor in shield strength.
- The shield cannot be readily healed or quickly reapplied once depleted leaving users vulnerable.
New Personal Force Field:
Slotted Defensive Passive
- Applies a regenerative shield/buffer over your base health scaling with your super stats. (This shield factors in it's user's damage resistance before reduction meaning specs and gear offering additional defense make a big difference.)
- Provides flat-rate damage reduction to self scaling with your Presence. (Solo Presence-scaling IDF. Defense/damage resistance must be gained from outside sources.)
- The rate at which the shield recovers scales with your Recovery, while the amount recovered scales with your Endurance. (Both energy stats will have their usefulness. Simply take either one with Constitution & Presence if you're a Tank, or take both with Presence if running a Support build.)
- Shield recovery rate increases while blocking. (Think of it as you're absorbing the kinetic energy from attacks & converting it into energy for your shield. Fits with the law of conservation of energy - Physics.)
- Applied shields on self such as Protection Field will be immediately consumed & act to repair your shield by a portion of its initial strength. (Basically, it treats all applied shields like Field Surge though they only add a portion of what they do to your shield. This also includes heal bubbles. None of that shield's additional effects apply.)
- If the shield is consumed completely, provides a temporary buff to all damage resistance. (I'm talking like a 60/70/80% buff depending on Rank so turtle up & live like an Invulnerability tank for a few moments.
Expanded Field: Extends the flat-rate damage reduction provided by Personal Force Field to nearby allies. (Recreates IDF's original effect for support players such as pet users while providing the extra benefits of a defensive passive.)
Note: This passive essentially makes you the king of soak tanks. Even cosmics will struggle to break your shield, at least while you're blocking. The shield factoring in damage resistance means gear & blocking makes the shield sturdier. Meanwhile, blocking makes your shield recover more quickly despite needing Recovery/Endurance investment to see hefty returns. Max health will still be your friend whenever your shield goes down but the resulting defensive buff should let you turtle up long enough to switch out with an off tank or be re-shielded by shield effects and/or heal bubbles. The trade-off is that PFF still provides no direct damage resistance so you are more vulnerable to strong attacks than other tanks & will require other sources of defense/damage resistance. You have to time your attacks well against bosses, but when soak tanking & thus not concerned too heavily with keeping aggro your sturdiness will shine. AoRP on top of this passive will make your life much easier.
Inertial Dampening Field
Currently, IDF provides flat-rate damage reduction on self and nearby allies scaling with your super stats. It's main problems are:
- It's general effect lack of weight by comparison to the stacking buffs provided to damage, healing/shielding, and/or control effects by other form toggles.
New Inertial Dampening Field
- Whenever you take damage from a single-target attack made against you, gain a stack of Kinetic Energy. You can only gain a stack this way every 4 seconds. (Same as all other toggles before you ask. This is a tanking toggle.)
- Each stack of Kinetic Energy provides a bonus to shield strength, as well as all damage to a lesser degree scaling with your Presence or Endurance, whichever is higher. (The base shielding bonus would be greater than that provided by compassion & similar form toggles. Stacking Presence would allow for naturally stronger shields & healing, while stacking Endurance would pair well with the steep costs of Force powers & the idea of an "Enduring" or "Durable" shield/field.)
Energy Well: Having stacks of Kinetic Energy now applies Energy Well to self. This buff counts as an energy form & can only be applied every 4 seconds. (This will allow Force Cascade to consume Energy Well for the cost discount every 4 seconds as long as you can maintain stacks of Kinetic Energy. It basically rewards effective tanking & adds extra Force symmetry.)