Tried to post this long ago but it deleted itself while editing it & I wasn't gonna rewrite it. This is another attempt. I think these changes would make both powers far more effective & useful both inside & out of the Force framework.
Personal Force Field:
Slotted Defensive Passive
- Applies a regenerative shield/buffer equal to 30/40/50% of your base health depending on rank. (Stacking at least some additional heath from gear, specs, & mods would be a smart decision. You won't need a lot of health.)
- Provides percentage-based damage reduction to your shield(shield layer only) and shields applied by you on other players scaling with your Presence. (The minimum damage reduction applied is 3% & scales upward to 33% before hitting the DR ceiling. Each additional rank of this power would increase that value by 3% allowing for a range of 9-39%. Note: This reduction does not apply to direct health damage. Unlike dodging, it ONLY applies to damage the shield would incur. This could all scale with overall superstats as well but people would likely just stack CON & end up unstoppable. Since Presence effects shields by design it makes sense as the chosen stat & prevents that scenario while also making PFF users decent crowd control users which supports the containment gimmick.)
- The rate at which the shield recovers scales with your Recovery, while the amount recovered scales with your Endurance. (Both energy stats will have their usefulness. The minimum recovery rate would be every 3 secs and scale to maybe every 1-1.5 secs.)
- Shield recovery rate doubles while blocking. (Think of it as you're absorbing the kinetic energy from attacks & converting it into energy for your shield. Fits with the law of conservation of energy - Physics.)
- Applied shields on self such as Protection Field will be immediately consumed & act to repair your shield by 10% of its initial strength.
Expanded Field(2): Applies flat-rate damage reduction to nearby allies scaling with your Presence. (Recreates IDF's original effect though it only applies to allies effectively turning this into a pseudo support passive. Not the percentage-based shield layer only reduction provided by PFF to the user. This would be the only way to get the original effect.)
Let's say you have 8000 health. As this kind of tank this would be fine. At r3 that would give you a shield value of 4000. We'll assume 50% all dmg resist from gear, specs, & mods alongside 350% from an r3 block. A cosmic(Ape) hits you for 25000 incoming damage with its fist smash while blocking. Going by the damage formula: Damage/(1+(%Damage Resistance)) & not factoring in other resistances, you would end up with 5000 damage through your block. At 5% damage reduction, the resulting shield damage would then be 4850 causing 1150 health damage & breaking your shield. At at 40% reduction, it would simply inflict 3050 shield damage. This establishes the benefit in focusing on PRE.
A blocked hit of 75000 at 39% reduction would cause 15000 damage through your block yet reduce to 9150 shield damage breaking your shield & inflicting 5150 damage to your health but you would survive with 2850 health. Consider a Defience tank in this scenario would gaining an additional 120% all dmg resist though without this shield though geared & spec'd the same. Let's assume them to have comparative CON to the amount of PRE needed for 39% reduction & that that equates 18000 health. That tank would take damage of 12096 from the same attack surving with 7904 health. This means that with PFF you can then gear/spec/mod for PRE & some additional health rather than for CON & defense yet tank cosmics effectively. At the same time you can shield & crowd control thanks to high PRE making force's containment gimick viable. Unlike with dodging the reduction always applies while the shield is up make it even more viable with efficient shield repair & heals.
Inertial Dampening Field
Currently, IDF provides flat-rate damage reduction on self and nearby allies scaling with your super stats. It's main problems are:
- It's general effect lack of weight by comparison to the stacking buffs provided to damage, healing/shielding, and/or control effects by other form toggles.
New Inertial Dampening Field
- Whenever you take damage from a single-target attack made against you, gain a stack of Kinetic Energy. You can only gain a stack this way every 4 seconds. (Same as all other toggles before you ask. This is a tanking toggle.)
- Each stack of Kinetic Energy provides a bonus to shield strength, as well as all damage to a lesser degree scaling with your Presence or Endurance, whichever is higher. (The base shielding bonus would be greater than that provided by compassion & similar form toggles. Stacking Presence would allow for naturally stronger shields & healing, while stacking Endurance would pair well with the steep costs of Force powers & the idea of an "Enduring" or "Durable" shield/field.)
Energy Well: Having stacks of Kinetic Energy now applies Energy Well to self. This buff counts as an energy form & can only be applied every 4 seconds. (This will allow Force Cascade to consume Energy Well for the cost discount every 4 seconds as long as you can maintain stacks of Kinetic Energy. It basically rewards effective tanking & adds extra Force symmetry.)