test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help needed for everything

I just returned to this game after several years absence, and I am completely lost. My character is extremely weak and can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. I don't know how to use the modification system or any thing like that. First question: are the costumes like in SWTOR, in that you have green basic, blue medium, but (really importantly) orange into which mods can be slotted? Because I don't know how I'm supposed to upgrade the power of my character. If it's more like STO (which is also an ARC game), then I need to craft upgrade boosts, but I don't know how to do that either. I'm also wondering how best to gear my stats on the tree.
But here's the real kicker: I can't even find where to click to change characters or to end the game. All I can find is the log out button, which takes me back to where I have to reenter my account name and password. Can anyone help with that also? TIA.

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Costumes are just, costumes. What you mean is, Gear. Gear is moddable. Ones that have Mod Slots.
    Once you log in CO. You're stuck for good. That is you life now, hero. ANd there is no button for End Game.
    Try pushing keys on your keyboard. They open new options. M is for Map, D is for Die and so on. And most important key is SHIFT, it's the Block! That's the one right above Ctrl button. The arrow pointing up.
    Welcome back. Try not to get killed.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Actually....try to get killed, there is a perk for that.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    If you hit ESC it should (I think) give you the option to select your character
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    If you hit ESC it should (I think) give you the option to select your character

Because, ESC is ESCAPE!
    :#

And visit Max Plan(c)k(c) in Mods building. He gives you a Mod basics tutorial.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    My advice, if you've been out of the game since before the Mods system was instituted?

Start a new toon. Lots of things have changed since then, including how most of the powers work. Go through the tutorial (which has also changed), follow the mission chains at least through Westside, get a feel for it. Don't be afraid to delete a toon and start over if you discover the way a powerset works isn't to your liking.

Remember that in CO, costumes have no connection to powers, unlike most MMOs. What you're wearing is entirely cosmetic. Your gear matters, though, as do the mods you can slot into some of them. Don't be reluctant to ask for build advice, either; there's an entire subforum in here for that.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I'm going to completely agree with jonsills on this one. Make a new character and play the new character. Even all the way to 40. I personally tend to think of levelling to 40 as a kind of extended 'getting to know how your powers work together' tutorial. And if you need a broader idea than make ANOTHER character and level it to 40. Most of us have at least a half-dozen characters in a variety of roles and powersets anyway. You'll eventually form a picture not only of how things work, but what YOU like (which is something none of us can tell you). I keep trying to be DPS but I get so upset at dying I always have to be a tank. That's me.

The one thing I would add is that gear is not particularly important UNTIL you're 40, so you can just put on whatever you stumble across until then. Once you're 40 you're not in some huge rush to get anywhere, so you can take your time experimenting with different gear and see how it works for you. Personally I've often been surprised at what I can and cannot do. Some endgame gear takes a while to get, so that just gives you time to figure out WHAT you want to get.

The 'esc' key should not only have an option to close the game, but also an option for more options, one tab of which lists how you have your keys set up. Once you become very accustomed to the game I recommend learning how to use keybinds as well... there's a stickied thread somewhere here in the forums about that. It lets you set your power activations to work a little different (always charging fully, for example) or tie in emotes and things you say too, so you can give your character a little personality.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    fermi wrote: »
    or tie in emotes and things you say too, so you can give your character a little personality.
    "Bends over shamelessly to plant a mine, stretching her tight plastic briefs for all to see."

Yeah please don't add emotes to your power activations. Everyone around you will thank you. ;)
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    fermi wrote: »
    or tie in emotes and things you say too, so you can give your character a little personality.
    "Bends over shamelessly to plant a mine, stretching her tight plastic briefs for all to see."

Yeah please don't add emotes to your power activations. Everyone around you will thank you. ;)
    You know we already have dances for that right?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters