test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More dynamic cosmics

pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
The main cosmics are, for most roles, extremely basic, particularly for dps, where your requirement is 'stay in the safe zone and blaze away'. Some suggestions for making the fights more dynamic
Kigatilik
Kigatilik is currently almost entirely mindless for dps (stand in the safe area and blaze away, remembering to shoot tombs) and only involves meaningful actions from CC every minute or so.
  • Hounds: change howl to only break hold in its buff radius. Instead of Kigatilik's current resurrection mechanic, give him a passive that rotates through the hounds something like once per minute (so one hound affected every 15s) that resets their HP to some moderate value (even if dead) and breaks CC effects. The general intent is that you can cc them all (with more effort, and probably favoring single target CC), you can CC some and tank some, or you can just run around killing them (it should be possible for dedicated team to kill the dogs as fast as they wake up, so having the fixed point at around 100k hp would work).
  • Ice Storms: in addition to the large storm, add smaller wandering storms (perhaps the wisps that used to appear around Kigatilik's feet) that persist and move around. These are vertical cylinder threat regions.
  • Ice Tombs: greatly reduce their blast radius; if you want to run away and let them detonate, you can -- though since Kigatilik will heal, you probably don't want to. In compensation for this, Kigatilik will apply multiple tombs (say, something like 10% chance per target).
  • Nailed to the Ground: instead of current applier (storm), it gets applied to primary target at the start of Kiga's frost breath (to avoid cone arc shenanigans) and to any tombed target (make sure tomb falls as well).
Teleiosaurus
For DPS, Teleiosaurus is about standing in the safe zone, blocking tells, and blazing away; you can pretty much park yourself.
  • Hatchling: remove current hatchling. Add new mechanic, Pheremones
  • Nailed to the Ground: mama applies this with her spit, and at the start of breath (again, for cone shenanigans). In addition, raptors (from pheremones) will have a lunge that applies NTTG. There's no need for general NTTG in this fight.
  • Pheremones: starting at 2/3 health, mama starts applying a Pheremones debuff to random targets in range. This will cause a nasty MV-class raptor to spawn on that target for 1 minute (including applying a burst of threat so it will actually attack the target); spawns can be CCed, killed, or tanked until they despawn. Raptors are mostly single target but have some small area effects to encourage moving about.
Qwyjibo
It should be desirable to kill hearts. Or kill some hearts. Maybe in addition to their normal effects (can be prevented with CC), they explode after 45 seconds, or something similar.

Comments

• aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I think for dps players blocking, evasion, damage checks and agro management could be enough to keep things interesting. Of course most cosmic fights don't have that in sufficient amounts at the moment, so some adjustments would be welcome.
    BUt random things like Qwy's fireballs, or a spawn that attacks a random dps player (forcing them to be a tank) is mostly just annoying. I want to be able to get better at a fight when I learn the patterns and timings, and not have a "I hope that attack isn't used on me" mechanic.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Aggro management is dumb in general, so no thanks to that one. If you want to keep the damage-dealer blob interested, I think it's far more interesting to have things like target switching to kill a critical add, temporary fixated adds that force them to either kite or play defensively, or other things to encourage situational awareness of mechanics. Other things include highly-visible debuffs that explode upon expiration (run away from the others so you don't blow them up) or highly-visible debuffs that explode upon expiring and split the damage (cluster together and live, move away and die)

Damage checks are also a mechanic of questionable quality (PUSH BUTTONS HARDER!) but I can see why some people like them I suppose. Lowest of the low hanging fruit.

That said, Pheromones could be okay if it spawned the add away from its target, and it would either fixate on and chase that target (cannot lose aggro, even via threat wipe) or would pursue that target until an offtank picked it up. No despawn, meaning your team would have to kill spawns to avoid getting overwhelmed.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    How about leave them alone and add more...
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    aiqa wrote: »
    BUt random things like Qwy's fireballs, or a spawn that attacks a random dps player (forcing them to be a tank) is mostly just annoying.
    If it's an unbreakable aggro, sure, but 'survive nasty thing chewing on you until someone pulls it away or you threat wipe' is perfectly practical as long as it doesn't chew too hard. A Kiga dog biting you for 12k damage with defense penetration is a bit much, but something chewing on you for 3k dps should be survivable for a decent amount of time with blocking.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    How about leave them alone and add more...

Sure, that's one way to make the cosmics more dynamic.

Wait no it isn't u3u​​
    I like all the things in the OP. Good stuff that makes Cosmics not just be "stand there and dps the big hp bag... oh and block once every 30 seconds or so".​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,070 Arc User
    Nothing to address the fact that all of the melee have to cluster in a very small area otherwise they are in the DANGER ZONE?

If you want it more exciting, have the Cosmic move around, regardless of who holds the aggro. Allow it to move here and there, as it decides. However, it will still face the primary aggro holder while doing this. Ape at least throws randomly targeted fireballs, usually at a low health char.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    I like Kigatilik aggro on MT but facing toward DPS that happens sometime now. o3o
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,426 Arc User
    So much this! Dumb, dumb, dumb to be stuck in relatively small areas at kiga (especially) and dino. Ape is best at letting people move around, though TPs should not be locked out.
    warcanch wrote: »
    Nothing to address the fact that all of the melee have to cluster in a very small area otherwise they are in the DANGER ZONE?
    ​​

This certainly adds spice to kiga. I try to keep MD ready to pop if he turns around and is going to breathe.
    monaahiru wrote: »
    I like Kigatilik aggro on MT but facing toward DPS that happens sometime now. o3o

What I'd love to see is some hero's nemesis and a few minions pop into these fights randomly. Might not always, and maybe sometimes more than 1 nemesis.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    warcanch wrote: »
    All of the melee have to cluster in a small area otherwise they can't reach the boss. You can make the space somewhat larger by allowing travel powers (mentioned in this), adjusting the shape of attacks (a lot of the cosmic cone attacks are wide base so they hit people to the side; reduce that and you open up more area, though at a certain point you can avoid it by going under the cone, this already happens at Portal Guardian), adding more targets (also mentioned in this), or eliminating some incentives to cluster (people could spread out more at Kiga if a tomb explosion wasn't as big as it is).
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    @spinny

People have beaten cosmics over and over and over that it’s boring, and rightfully so.

Sort of like your presence here.

Add something new and you won’t need to change anything. Instead of just messing with the same cosmics all the time.

I know!!! How about in the middle of the DPS they ask you a riddle and if you don’t get all the right answers you all die.
    edited January 2019
    I support both new content, and making current content better. That's been what the devs have been doing this whole time after all, why stop now? ;)

1/10 on the "riddle suggestion" troll. More effort next time plz.​​
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 723 Arc User
    I support anything that would make the cosmic fights less boring as they are, just stand blast blast block blast blast block until Ad nauseam. Main reason i take breaks from this game is due to the repetitive nature, but i come back for the costumes and creative character ideas.