test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fallout 76 aka The facts why Fallout 76 is bad. Or why Bethesda is.

flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
Come play with me, pls.
giphy.gif
CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
And playing by myself since Aug 2009
Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by flyingfinn on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    Senden D. Clauns is primarily a solo toon, just to prove I can. (Protip: Don't try to get to the Top o' the World at level 13. The level 30 Sentrybot near the New Appalachia Trainyard does not approve.)

Johnny C. is for adventuring in company with my wife, Hilly B.

OTOH, if you run into Senden (or just see Sir Rhosis online), send me a message and we'll see what we can do. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I dunno I've heard terrible things about that game. Like not just "world is empty, gaem is boring" stuff, but like serious security issues. It's starting to look like they set it up in the same way GunZ 2 was setup, i.e. hackers paradise.​​
    Yeah, you can hear all kinds of things. Haters gonna hate.

Haven't seen any evidence of any such thing during my forays into West Virginia, though. Scorchbeasts patrolling, yeah; Assaultrons fighting level 30 mutts, sure; crazy Mr. Handys trying to render all humans into mulch for the automated farm, of course - but not a single sign of any hacking anywhere I've been.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    im jasinblaze on bethesda
    edited November 2018
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yeah, you can hear all kinds of things. Haters gonna hate.

Problem is, the person who mentioned this also had a lot of positive things to say about the game. To write them off as a hater, given the technical details they gave about the problem, seems careless at best, dangerous at worst. I know how it is to just want to love something, but keeping everything client side like bethesda is doing with 76 is bumbling at its worst.​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I dunno I've heard terrible things about that game. Like not just "world is empty, gaem is boring" stuff, but like serious security issues. It's starting to look like they set it up in the same way GunZ 2 was setup, i.e. hackers paradise.​​

I heard that Santa's reindeers could fly and that's why Santa can travel so fast. I lived in that belief several years. Until one Christmas i saw him jump in a rusty VW Beetle and it didn't start, he exited, kicked it and walked away.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    F76 reminds me a lot of.. Metal Gear: survive. Both games are cheap asset flip - zombie survival 'mmos', exclusively made, to cash in on the zombie survival genre hipsters.

Change my mind.
    Change my mind.
    No. You make up your own mind. I'm too busy getting household chores done so I can go wander around West Virginia some more. (Reached the end of the quest "Personal Matters" yesterday. Poor Overseer - that was just tragic. At least she came to agree with the Responders that the Scorched are nothing less than an existential threat to the remnants of humanity.)

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    F76 reminds me a lot of.. Metal Gear: survive. Both games are cheap asset flip - zombie survival 'mmos', exclusively made, to cash in on the zombie survival genre hipsters.
    I can't see how anyone who's actually spent any time with the game thinks it was cheap to make. They made a new world map that roughly corresponds to the geography of RW West Virginia, and even has places inspired by those IRL.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    WV has all those annoying basalt cliffs, jutting out at odd angles? (Those really started to get to me when I was trying to reach Top o' the World, and the only path I could follow was being haunted by a Scorchbeast. Every other path required either a detour down almost to the Ash Heap, or climbing cliffs that weren't just sheer, but actually stuck out further as they went up. And all the false "paths" didn't help, either.)

edited November 2018
    I need BIGGER storage!
    And the armoring/costuming is a bit silly. You put some other clothes on, and your armor pieces dissappear... So everyone looks the same...I think i came across 3 priests so far. And 4 guys in their underwear... Might have been same priest guys...I'm dressed as a priest also...Need to get my headset working and preach some WRATH OF GOD to that wasteland!!
    Hopefully they include the player made mods.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I've been having a lot of fun playing it. Seen a few bugs but nothing too serious... the worst thing is a teamup bug I've encountered that wouldn't let me join or start a team but after some hassle my friend and I got it working. That's really the only negative thing I can say about my experience with the game so far. All the other complaints I have heard about the game were things I was expecting going in and I have had a good time playing despite them.

flyingfinn wrote: »
    I need BIGGER storage!
    And the armoring/costuming is a bit silly. You put some other clothes on, and your armor pieces dissappear... So everyone looks the same...I think i came across 3 priests so far. And 4 guys in their underwear... Might have been same priest guys...I'm dressed as a priest also...Need to get my headset working and preach some WRATH OF GOD to that wasteland!!
    Hopefully they include the player made mods.
    There's lots of priest outfits lying around. Personally, I went with the Responder Police uniform, and a cop hat I found. Thinking of donning the Garb of Mystery, but I'm not sure it'd look that good on a guy.

I understand they're working on a fix for the storage. Running two toons, and on each one I tend to fill the storage up around lvl 18 or so. (But when I hit 20, that Combat Shotgun and Grenade Launcher are coming back out and into my inventory...)

edited November 2018
    My fallout 76 experience(thus far) in three images...
    cp5ISS4.jpg
    1xCPJ1e.jpg
    iI4JHLs.jpg

Almost lvl 25.
    Post edited by beezeeze on

me and my camp tho…

i9HZ3oz.jpg

edited November 2018
    I'm changing my current name, Frank.... to SHOTGUNfrank... I got like gazillion shotguns in my inventory, at lvl 13.
    Maybe i'll set a shop for BOOMSTICKS!.. Come shop smart, S-mart....
    And i do like the game. Been walking really slooooow around...curse you small pockets! (good thing i found like 12 PowerArmors so far....)
    I'm changing my current name, Frank.... to SHOTGUNfrank... I got like gazillion shotguns in my inventory, at lvl 13.
    Maybe i'll set a shop for BOOMSTICKS!.. Come shop smart, S-mart....

People were actually talking about trying to make some sort of in-game player trading economy, but they realized that the things that are abundant are abundant for everybody so nobody would buy them, and the things that are scarce are things everyone needs and would never sell.​​
    It's the most effective way to stop high-level Scorchbeasts and contain the Scorched Plague. (It also turns the target temporarily into a high-level zone, with unique materials to gather - for instance, there are six types of mineral flux that only occur in the wake of a nuclear explosion that are necessary to crafting Fusion Cores for your armor.)

The nuking goes away after a while, though, because online multiplayer.

edited November 2018
    Bring on the nukes. That actually helps everyone on the server when that happens...except those poor souls caught up in the blast zone...even than it isn't like dark souls... you get unlimited runs to get your junk back as far as I know
    Post edited by beezeeze on

*thee nukes at once can cause the server to crash* yeah... prolly shouldn't do that...……

edited November 2018
    Also I just watched the BBC docudrama called Threads… which is about the immediate fallout after a nuclear war..it is super grim... better to be locked up in a vault for 20 years.

Imma lock myself in a fridge. Gonna live inside it for 200 years.
    Imma lock myself in a fridge. Gonna live inside it for 200 years.
    Okay, Billy. :smile:

And yes, so long as you don't quit the world, you get unlimited runs to recover any junk you dropped. I try to keep the junk levels minimal, though, both for storage reasons and because that way if it's just not worth the run, I can simply abandon my little paper bag (that's what your dropped junk shows up in).

(Weird part is that Johnny C., who works with others, has no code fragments yet - but Sendin D. Clauns, my solo toon, has three for Silo Bravo, two for Silo Charlie, and one for Silo Alpha. Kill Scorched Officers, they drop code fragments.)

The pvp system looks pretty poorly implemented. Like just make it a co-op game if you're not gonna have actual open world pvp. The duel system is just terrible. They could have gone a much better route with a Pacifism mode, where you just click a checkbox if you wanna PvP, and if you don't wanna PvP you check it off, but you have to wait like 10 minutes since the last time you shot someone or have been shot before you can toggle it off. Then just give the people with it checked on a little XP bonus. Boom, pvp.​​
    In Pacifism mode, you can't start fights, not even accidentally - your stray shots don't hurt others. You can still respond to an attacker if you wish (I don't). Outside that mode, it's possible to accidentally hit someone, but if you do, they don't have to respond, and the hit is for like one or two points, no big deal. Weapons only do full damage if both people decide they want to fight. The focus of the game isn't supposed to be on PvP, you see - they intended for the players to cooperate on rebuilding civilization (or at least stopping the Scorched Plague).

jonsills wrote: »
    The focus of the game isn't supposed to be on PvP, you see - they intended for the players to cooperate on rebuilding civilization (or at least stopping the Scorched Plague).

Which is why the pvp implementation stinks of "trying to please everybody".​​
    ey spinny if you are just not that into it or turned off by it because of some reason...just don't worry about it . We're having fun here, that's it. that is all there is to it.

edited November 2018
    Yeah, it sucks when people have different opinions and express them, it'd be better if people only ever communicated with each other when they were expressing agreement, but oh well, it's the world we live in, you'll figure out how to deal with it someday. The whole "shut up if you don't agree with me" thing you're doin... yeah doesn't work out well in the long run.​ Tends to ruin fanbases and produce useless echo chambers. u3u​​
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    I don't want to speak for beezeeze, but I think the problem isn't so much that you expressed a different opinion. It's more that you came into a thread about finding people to play Fallout with and started with the "bleh bleh i dun like dis i dun like dat" routine, generally being a little contrarian buttwipe. When everyone else is having fun and talking about something they enjoy (they are), and you're kvetching about how much that thing sucks (you are), nobody likes you (they don't). I can only assume that you also go to funerals and start roasting the guy in the casket... make sure those mourners aren't in an echo chamber, and always be prepared for a different opinion, right? It isn't always about agreeing or disagreeing. Sometimes it's just about not being a turd.

I know you know all of this, and I know that you also know you do the very same thing you're accusing other people of with... this game, actually. You have permanent residence in a CO-related echo chamber. Maybe, just this once, let other people enjoy something they enjoy in peace?

Enjoy F76, and enjoy CO. See y'all in another few months.
    By all means lets keep this discussion going than, but I feel like you'd have more to contribute to it if you actually played the game...and hey maybe you have by now, what do I know...and to be frank even if you haven't played it all of the complaints you're talking about are pretty well justified... it's just that y'know...some of us happen to still enjoy it anyways.

You're totally right though no one should be telling anybody to shut up if they don't agree with a particular opinion and I apologize if that was the impression I was making.

edited November 2018
    Frankly, a lot of people complaining loudly about Fallout 76 come across as Stop Having Fun Guys. I prefer what filmmaker John Carpenter said on Twitter:
    FALLOUT 76 is a glitchathon of a game, stuttering and freezing, but still fun, addicting with its post nuke open world. A big game with hit & miss missions. Despite its flaws, I dig it.

Super mutants look like michael bay ninja turtles... my friend pointed this out to me and now I can't unsee them that way.... you're welcome.

• well, given F76 reuses existing FO4 assets...they looked that way in FO4 too - and i actually prefer that look, because they looked really bad in prior fallout games, as did ghouls​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    yeah super mutants looked the same in FO4 for sure...ghouls in FO3 looked less damp tho..I prefer dryed out ghouls over wet ones.

edited November 2018
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    I don't want to speak for beezeeze, but I think the problem isn't so much that you expressed a different opinion. It's more that you came into a thread about finding people to play Fallout with and started with the "bleh bleh i dun like dis i dun like dat" routine, generally being a little contrarian buttwipe. When everyone else is having fun and talking about something they enjoy (they are), and you're kvetching about how much that thing sucks (you are), nobody likes you (they don't). I can only assume that you also go to funerals and start roasting the guy in the casket... make sure those mourners aren't in an echo chamber, and always be prepared for a different opinion, right? It isn't always about agreeing or disagreeing. Sometimes it's just about not being a turd.

I know you know all of this, and I know that you also know you do the very same thing you're accusing other people of with... this game, actually. You have permanent residence in a CO-related echo chamber. Maybe, just this once, let other people enjoy something they enjoy in peace?

Enjoy F76, and enjoy CO. See y'all in another few months.
    beezeeze wrote: »
    By all means lets keep this discussion going than, but I feel like you'd have more to contribute to it if you actually played the game...and hey maybe you have by now, what do I know...and to be frank even if you haven't played it all of the complaints you're talking about are pretty well justified... it's just that y'know...some of us happen to still enjoy it anyways.

You're totally right though no one should be telling anybody to shut up if they don't agree with a particular opinion and I apologize if that was the impression I was making.

Are you guys under the impression that I was trying to talk you out of playing the game or something? Why would I care if you do or don't. I'm making conversation about the thread topic. If that's not allowed and the only responses allowed are "I'll play with you" responses then I guess I'll leave you to it... even though your responses aren't even following that rule owo/​​
    I think you're trying to talk yourself out of playing it... and that is fine. I said as much before but then you where all like:
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yeah, it sucks when people have different opinions and express them, it'd be better if people only ever communicated with each other when they were expressing agreement, but oh well, it's the world we live in, you'll figure out how to deal with it someday. The whole "shut up if you don't agree with me" thing you're doin... yeah doesn't work out well in the long run.​ Tends to ruin fanbases and produce useless echo chambers. u3u​​

and here we are again.

beezeeze wrote: »
    I think you're trying to talk yourself out of playing it...

Again, no. Making conversation about the thread topic, like I said. I've already solved the mystery for you, you can stop guessing at the answer if you like.​​
    ok than. my mistake.

You're simply here to do what you do.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Well there's a reason why they didn't want the game released on Steam that has an assured refund policy and open player reviews.

Even if it was on Steam I don't see myself playing what comes across as a less functional and more expensive version of Rust that's using Fallout 4 assets.
    I don't feel like watching that guy's boring video for 10 minutes while he eventually gets around to making a point. What, if anything, is actually happening?
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Well there's a reason why they didn't want the game released on Steam that has an assured refund policy and open player reviews.

Even if it was on Steam I don't see myself playing what comes across as a less functional and more expensive version of Rust that's using Fallout 4 assets.
    Honestly? I don't think the majority of players actually think it's bad. Most reviews I've seen were more noncommittal. Another thing I've noted is that reviews that claim it's terrible... just don't feel like the person making the review knew much of anything about the game. One example was a guy complaining about a quest being glitched, when the actual "issue" was that resolving the quest required him to talk to an NPC repeatedly to finish a conversation with the NPC. Is it weird? yes. But it's not a new thing. Bethesda's done that in ES and FO games many times before.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    No, there isn't. There's also no lawsuit coming regarding Star Trek: Discovery.

YouTube can be a good place to find how-to videos and "Let's Play"-style videos. As a news source, however, it tends to amplify the stupid.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Honestly? I don't think the majority of players actually think it's bad. Most reviews I've seen were more noncommittal. Another thing I've noted is that reviews that claim it's terrible... just don't feel like the person making the review knew much of anything about the game. One example was a guy complaining about a quest being glitched, when the actual "issue" was that resolving the quest required him to talk to an NPC repeatedly to finish a conversation with the NPC. Is it weird? yes. But it's not a new thing. Bethesda's done that in ES and FO games many times before.

Even though reviewers have played the game extensively for hours on end, addressing various problems realistically with the game and deeming it not high up there in terms of it being a quality product, they wouldn't know much of anything about the game? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

Ignoring reviews for a moment, I've seen enough recorded and livestream footage and the impressions I get don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. The "Bethesda's done that before in ES and FO games many times before" excuse is getting old at this point, especially when they're recycling the same game engine for the newest installment and carrying over the same bugs left over from its predecessor.

I'd be happy if i could buy bigger bags and larger container...
    :#
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Even though reviewers have played the game extensively for hours on end, addressing various problems realistically with the game and deeming it not high up there in terms of it being a quality product, they wouldn't know much of anything about the game? Seems pretty far fetched to me.
    given how often I see them fail to grasp the basic game mechanics?
    Ignoring reviews for a moment, I've seen enough recorded and livestream footage and the impressions I get don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. The "Bethesda's done that before in ES and FO games many times before" excuse is getting old at this point, especially when they're recycling the same game engine for the newest installment and carrying over the same bugs left over from its predecessor.
    This incident wasn't a bug. He just wasn't reading the dialog and didn't notice that each time he interacted was a different line of dialog. Then freaked out thinking the quest was broken because he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.

I mean, yes there ARE bugs, but Bethesda has actually been fixing the real bugs. For example, There was a bug with blueprints getting confused about whether there was room for placement. This seemed to be due to a glitch in how the game detected whether the foundation platform was in a legal location. Oh and last I heard that bug got fixed.

But that's different than saying the game sucks because you want to build a massive fortress as your base and can't. Yeah, bases in FO76 are intentionally smaller than the settlements in FO4. But settlements were meant as small towns(and you found human NPCs to live in them), and bases are just your personal living area.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    I'd be happy if i could buy bigger bags and larger container...
    :#
    Reportedly, Bethesda plans an incremental increase in the Stash Box on the Dec 4 update, to 600 lbs. There are plans to increase it further, but the game has to keep track of all items in the world including everyone's stash, so they want to make sure this doesn't destabilize the game.

• well, maybe they should try using an engine that can handle tracking data from more than a few thousand items before s.hitting itself then​​
    #LegalizeAwoo