test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launch a Web-based Tailor

kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
This is a pipe dream, but I wanted to be sure it was documented somewhere.

Launch a web-based tailor so that people who don't have the game yet can create and share their own superheroes. Also provide a way for people who have the game to super easily share their superheroes with those who don't. Put in hooks for people to be able to easily post their creations to Instagram, FB, Discord, etc.

Presumably there's not much of a marketing budget for CO, so maybe a marketing tactic that others without budget use effectively to garner more awareness, attention, and customers could work.

If people end up using the web version, then launch a small mobile app as well. It doesn't have to sync with the game, or import costumes, or anything fancy. Just be a way for people to play with the tailor while they're on the go and send their heroes to their friends.

Comments

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    :+1: :+1: :+1:
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • theglasskittentheglasskitten Posts: 175 Arc User
    If feasible this sounds like an excellent way to allow the community to market Champions strength.

I think this is a great idea
    ╔══╗
    ╚╗╔╝
    ╔╝(¯v´¯)
    ╚══.¸Menagerie
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    It would be neat, but options for doing it are either super-heavy (basically run a normal costume creator in a VM somewhere, using video capture to send the output to the user) or massive amounts of work.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Eh, not sure I want people to be able to completely bypass the game to get access to the tailor. Makes business sense to at least make them log in so they might catch interest in some gameplay.​​
  • Perhaps an easier option.... offline tailor (using game files) and a web based sharing platform.
    Perhaps an easier option.... offline tailor (using game files) and a web based sharing platform.
    Problem for an offline creator is that information about what costume pieces you have unlocked is in-game information.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Problem for an offline creator is that information about what costume pieces you have unlocked is in-game information.

Could just have them all be unlocked. That way you can create the character you want and go in-game to get the pieces that are missing.

Or not worry about existing players too much, and just offer this to new prospective players that are still on the fence about installing CO and make just the base level costume pieces available.
    Of course, you can do that by creating a brand new silver account and creating a character, a stand-alone creator would not be dramatically thinner. We saw that demoed in the infamous Monster Factory video.

Another thing I'd like would be a reasonably simple way of getting a high resolution character image that includes auras; the costume creator won't show effects, accomplishing good shots in-game is pretty hard, and demorecord has a considerable learning curve.
    edited August 2018
    kamokami wrote: »
    Or not worry about existing players too much, and just offer this to new prospective players that are still on the fence about installing CO and make just the base level costume pieces available.

Kinda worried this would have the opposite effect on prospective players. They might just go "wow, terrible graphics, pass". Sure, they could do that when they actually boot the game up too, but by that point they've spent some time installing it so they might not want that time to go to waste, and also the gameplay is a button click away so they might decide to at least check that out. With this web thingy they might say "Phew, glad you showed me this before I wasted time installing it."​​
    edited August 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Kinda worried this would have the opposite effect on prospective players. They might just go "wow, terrible graphics, pass". Sure, they could do that when they actually boot the game up too, but by that point they've spent some time installing it so they might not want that time to go to waste, and also the gameplay is a button click away so they might decide to at least check that out. With this web thingy they might say "Phew, glad you showed me this before I wasted time installing it."​​

The idea is to give people on the fence a good impression of the customization that's possible with CO. Yeah if it's done poorly then it shouldn't be done at all. Or if it's not possible to do it well then sure ok. With regards to technical feasibility, difficulties, etc...I'm not inclined to take anything that players have to say seriously. That's for the devs to decide as they are both more qualified to speak to those things and have way more context.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    They would just use google image or youtube to form their opinion on the graphic of the game.
    edited August 2018
    With regards to technical feasibility, difficulties, etc...I'm not inclined to take anything that players have to say seriously. That's for the devs to decide as they are both more qualified to speak to those things and have way more context.

Well, I didn't say anything whatsoever about technical feasibility.
    qawsada wrote: »
    They would just use google image or youtube to form their opinion on the graphic of the game.

Yes, and I'm sure we lose a lot of potential players at that point, so let's not guarantee and/or accelerate that process. At least the images they show on the steam page are made to be flattering.​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    And add Ren Center as a sigle hub to it....
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yes, and I'm sure we lose a lot of potential players at that point, so let's not guarantee and/or accelerate that process. At least the images they show on the steam page are made to be flattering.​​

I don't see what makes you so incredibly sure. You must have some hard numbers to be this passionate about it.

The suggestion is not to do it badly. I don't buy that there's incredible risk that even if it's done well we'll lose all these players for whom graphics is an important consideration but who also at the same time don't bother to check how a game looks before downloading gigabytes of it and signing up to play it.

CO looks fine for an old game and if more people knew how it rivals the customization available even in new games then I think more of them would play it.
    edited August 2018
    I don't see what makes you so incredibly sure. You must have some hard numbers to be this passionate about it.

I'm bringing up a concern, not making a declaration of fact. Never claimed otherwise. We are just discussing this after all, not determining if it will actually be implemented.​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Realistically, I don't think it'll ever happen. They'd have to update it constantly. and that's a lot of dev time.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • waybig#9760 waybig Posts: 76 Arc User
    i think this can be a good idea
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Realistically, I don't think it'll ever happen. They'd have to update it constantly. and that's a lot of dev time.
    If done right, updating it to reflect new costume pieces would be relatively mundane: Upload new costume pieces and perhaps update a few information files. The big chunk of developer time would come from the initial creation. The biggest deterrents for this would probably be the initial development time/costs, combined with the lack of inventive for Cryptic to do so beyond the "it'd be cool" factor.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    If done right, updating it to reflect new costume pieces would be relatively mundane: Upload new costume pieces and perhaps update a few information files. The big chunk of developer time would come from the initial creation. The biggest deterrents for this would probably be the initial development time/costs, combined with the lack of inventive for Cryptic to do so beyond the "it'd be cool" factor.
    Right.... *points at STO gateway* certain aspects of it worked properly, and were great, but it needed to be updated every release, and didn't get updated adequately. Eventually it became useless. The NW one had functions that got exploited by botters...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    CO had offline access to characters too (probably similar to gateway), which also got shut down due to problems.

I wonder how hard it would be to do 'twitch makes costumes' with CO.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    CO had offline access to characters too (probably similar to gateway), which also got shut down due to problems.

I wonder how hard it would be to do 'twitch makes costumes' with CO.

Like the streaming service twitch?
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Right.... *points at STO gateway* certain aspects of it worked properly, and were great, but it needed to be updated every release, and didn't get updated adequately. Eventually it became useless. The NW one had functions that got exploited by botters...
    Hi read more carefully please~
    If done right
    If done right
    If done right
    If done right
    If done right
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).