test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Flat Earth Again..??

catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
edited May 2018 in Off Topic
Ok, while this generally isnt one of the things i discuss because I usually have better things to do, a few more of my friends have begun to believe in flat earth....so, i came here hoping to get an impartial POV because they are really into it atm and I know when you are really into something and the excitement of learning something new or possibly thinking you have, it can mess with ones rational perceptions eliminating the possibility of getting a logical answer. Now mind you, whether it is or isnt, i dont really care, its not going to change my day-to-day life one way or the other. I guess my question isnt really what do you guys think it is because ether side could obviously bring up info they feel to be legitimate and might even be like the endless moon landing debates of point/counter-point...but rather, why is it a big deal? No matter who is right or wrong what would the false party get out of it?? None of this makes sense to me...

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    edited May 2018

Some studies:

The appeal of "knowing a secret"

A desire to gain control/response to feeling out of control

A coping strategy for anxiety/lack of attachment

The internet gives these conspiracy theories (like "the flat earth") more space in the media than before, since the barrier to entry is so low.

Also, folks with the conspiracy theories can easily find each other in a way that wasn't true 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. This unites individuals into groups with some voice. That voice can then broadcast through social media.

Its like watching people slowly turn to cheering for a new ball team; it didnt excite me before when they cheered for the one way, but it seems to make them happy. While I dont encourage them encase they are wrong, I dont think I will get in their way ether, I'd rather hold onto them as friends encase they get offended if they think I dont believe them.

I myself can take Galileo's observations as a good bases for what I believe; I can appreciate the fact his evidence was able to spare his life before a very unfair inquisition and superstition era that liked to stack the deck against people to satisfy their own fears rather then the truth. Science and the bible can support ether side too...so oh well...lol, I gather you are saying flat earthers just want attention so this is why they are making such a social media fuss...yet they seem so convinced about it like they found an Indiana Jones movie relic. The government on the other hand lies all the time, and ever since i seen the bubble come from the suit during a filmed space walk I havent believed NASA..."ok, what ever you're really doing you dont wanna share so dont waste my time!" Is how i feel about them now, I used to follow NASA progress all the time, until i felt lied to...so I just focus on whats going on down here now.

My concern is, ether side has shown a full on commitment when being deceptive...are the ones who started the flat earth story capable going to such lengths to get attention? I think in this day and age, I would say yes because of a long list of psychological issues people suffer from today. But on the other hand, would the government go to such lengths to deceive the public...they already do about a lot of things, its just how politics functions!

You also brought up having a sense of power over others, if I read you correctly. It goes without saying that politicians crave like absolute control like a vampire craves blood, and like any addiction the more that craving is satisfied the more of it they will desire, but I guess with the growing popularity of social media people have been given the same fix on a new addiction, creating whole new avenues of disorders probably not even identified by mental health professionals yet, because they suffer from them a well due to the vastness of exposure to social media like that eye game on Star Trek TNG.

....such a messy time we live in. While I love gaming and anime, it kinda makes me wish I was born in more simple times before internet.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Do these people not understand how a telescope works? Do they not believe in binoculars or magnifying glasses? I'm curious about where the rejection of observable reality begins.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    It's just that the earth isn't flat and there are multiple ways to prove that it isn't. I find it kind of shocking that there really are people out there who believe in this stuff. It is mind boggling to me. Someone would have to be very dedicated to ignoring facts and evidence to convince themselves that it is true.

I think it is best not to argue with people who believe the earth is flat, no reason for it... it'll just get em all riled up and it is a hopeless cause because I'm pretty sure proof does not matter to these people. Best just sit back and watch in mild bewilderment.

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    So Aussies don't live down under???
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    beezeeze said:

I think it is best not to argue with people who believe the earth is flat, no reason for it... it'll just get em all riled up and it is a hopeless cause because I'm pretty sure proof does not matter to these people. Best just sit back and watch in mild bewilderment.

I try not to; i tend to just smile and nod anymore on complicated matters. People will only listen to me if I tell them what they wanna hear these days...so if I give them no opinion of it, I save myself of having to re-listen to the sales pitch again. ^^;

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    beezeeze said:

Someone would have to be very dedicated to ignoring facts and evidence to convince themselves that it is true.

There's a good number of people who are very passionate about being like this. In some cases it's because the facts clash with what they want to believe. In others its because their leaders have manipulated them into being distrustful of the people who give factual information, because that makes them easier to manipulate. And then there's the "I don't understand it so it can't be true" people.

Considering that I've seen people like this my entire life it's never been shocking to me. However it is troubling how popular these mindsets are becoming lately. It's becoming cool to be willfully ignorant.
  • Options
    Postmodernism has that whole "there is no objective reality" thing going on. Not any crazier really, and far more pervasive.
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    Most of the people that believe the Earth is flat are religious. They've likely been taught that science is wrong about things like evolution and global warming and so they're likely thinking this is just yet another thing being promoted by scientists to disprove god or something to that effect.
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

Most of the people that believe the Earth is flat are religious. They've likely been taught that science is wrong about things like evolution and global warming and so they're likely thinking this is just yet another thing being promoted by scientists to disprove god or something to that effect.

Not necessarily, thats just an assumption created to dismiss an alternate view point. Ive submitted many scientific facts attributed from my textbook (bible) that where known to be true before science caught up with my textbook, and began to accept them when man could use modern means to be able to put them to the test...like under sea currents, radio waves and micro biology for instance.

Dont be too quick to dismiss, often when it comes to science and learning we can often meet to the same conclusion. Like the woman in Pirates of the Caribbean who kept trying to tell them about her observations and from their own preconceived mindset, she was just a witch XD

Guy: "Witch!"
    Woman: "Im not a witch, look, Im working on the same thing you are."
    Guy: "........WITCH!!"

lol

• Options
    edited May 2018
    You might have missed that "Most" in that first sentience you quote, it means some but not all, I didn't say "all" because it's absolutely impossible to say what everyone believes. Besides, there are millions if not billions of people who are religious, some prominent scientists, the very fact that you believe in a god doesn't mean that you'd also have to believe in a flat Earth. There are some people though that think science has been lying to people for some reason, some conspiracy, and of those people, most are religious.

And just to be clear: that is not the same thing as "most religious people believe the earth is flat", what I'm saying is that of the small portion of people that actually think the world is flat, most of those people are religious.

When I say most of the people who own Boston Celtic hats are Boston Celtic fans that's not me saying everyone who owns a Celtic's hat is a fan, most are, some might like the colors or design but don't even follow the sport. That's also not the same thing as everyone who owns a hat is a Boston Celtic fan as there's hundreds of different sports teams out there that have hats of their own. I hope you follow the analogy.

Also, I don't believe witches exist, you're free to believe whatever you'd like, but I usually like to refer to the phrase made popular by Carl Sagan regarding such things: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    There is something going on, I dont know if its a conspiracy, it could just as easily be Vulcan style gang warfare XD when scientists dont see eye to eye and make public claims that dont match up with what other scientists have also published as truth. It begs one to consider, is politics prohibiting us from a real education since science changes so often when the next discovery comes out? Nor can all of them decide on the same thing!

Politics had in old times and still does today direct the influence in what they want us to hear/learn/speak. Now saying that Im not taking sides on this "earth shape" issue, im just saying, put your favorite scientist to the test and make sure he knows what hes talking about, they are only human, and like any of us they might be a boss in one area and a noob in another. A diploma on your wall just means you learned what someone else taught you according to their current limits of understanding which could probably change tomorrow...and not that you know everything. Its like going to Hollywood for wisdom when they are just script readers! Bill Nye was an engineer who became an actor, that people think is a scientist. lol

As for my beliefs, I dont want to have this thread closed too so I will refrain from the details of my textbook, lets just say my purpose is to share the good news, becoming a rockstar icon or major figure head, or a money grubber who will say or do anything for cash/funding, kinda exposes them as false...this goes for scientists too when you test ones motives. In my life, i had a science teacher in school that had a real love for understanding the world around him, and it was his joy to teach us what he knew. If only they all had that same motivation for understanding we would all get a clearer picture in life i think.

I was also using a silly moment from a movie to make my point. But a witch is just someone who thinks they can summon the dead and talk to them...like the books you see in the book stores. I guess they take it to heart and try what ever magic stuff the publisher sold em...lol
    Post edited by catstarsto on

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

Now saying that Im not taking sides on this "earth shape" issue, im just saying, put your favorite scientist to the test and make sure he knows what hes talking about, they are only human, and like any of us they might be a boss in one area and a noob in another.

Except, there aren't two sides here. The story of a flat earth is a recent internet phenomenon, that's it. There isn't, nor has there ever really been, any debate among scientists.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Now saying that Im not taking sides on this "earth shape" issue, im just saying, put your favorite scientist to the test and make sure he knows what hes talking about, they are only human, and like any of us they might be a boss in one area and a noob in another.

Except, there aren't two sides here. The story of a flat earth is a recent internet phenomenon, that's it. There isn't, nor has there ever really been, any debate among scientists.
    lol, well Im not going to argue about an argument, nor am I going to watch videos on it. Ive had some interesting titles recommended for me to view by scientist's POV on both sides. It doesnt really matter to me enough to care. I can usually keep a neutral outlook online about things like this since my position in my Champs guild allows me to cheer up my guild mates, and im also the fleet consular in my STO guild, also those who know me outside of game often come to me because Ill listen to them and share my thoughts if they will hear me, that way their is never any fear for someone to talk to me off to the side when somethings on their mind...but when people get worked up over subjects like this I try to say neutral on a matter.

...reminds me of when the Mandela effect discussions came up, people wore me out pulling on my shirt everyday, "hey..hey, this and this happened, do you think its true?" @_@

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    The earth isn't flat. It's simply a fact, and an undisputable fact at that.

There isn't a "scientist's POV on both sides". It's a universally understood fact within the scientific community that the earth is round. If there's a second side to it claiming that it's flat, then it has to be taken up by people believing in pseudoscience.

There is enough evidence out there to prove it.

We know that there are northern and southern hemispheres. We know that an equator exists between those hemispheres. We know how climate is affected in those hemispheres and why the equator has the kind of hot tropical climate it has all year round; It's all to do with the curvature of the earth and where the areas in those hemispheres are positioned relative to the sun. All of that has to do with why the north and south poles, being the extreme ends of those hemispheres, are so frozen and barren.

We know for a fact that night and day cycles are affected by the earth rotating like a sphere relative to the sun's static position.

We know that objects in space near earth, both man-made and otherwise, orbit around the earth in a consistent, circular fashion.

It's a simple matter of accepting reality as it is, or making up your own just because you choose to believe in something that you personally feel makes sense to you.
  • Options
    Something I gather we have all come to accept is we hold onto the reality we choose to accept, now while i have submitted a number of things in the past basing my own science understanding on a round earth, mine is only a single point of view, there seems to be enough evidence for a growing number of others that would find my own evidence to be unsatisfactory...people will believe what their own mind allows them to believe. realty is a point of view it would seem, as each individual allows for themselves to accept. And any evidence one would require can be found if you really want to find it, that again depends on ones own perceptions and desires of what they want to see. Remember what Einstein said once; "“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.” Which seems relative to a good number of debates these days.

You can show a crowd a miracle; some will be in awe, some will say it was a trick, and some will refuse to acknowledge anything of significant ever happened...it all depends on what ones mind allows them to perceive. What maybe be logical for you or me maybe be crazy for someone else, and likewise for the other hand. I guess it can also relate to the old question of "how do you know you are seeing the same colors as everyone else?" I hope you understand

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Cat, the shape of the Earth was proved by Greeks over two thousand years ago. Eratosthenes even used the experiment to calculate its size to a fair degree of precision. (The reason Christopher Columbus was so roundly derided in his time wasn't for believing the Earth was a sphere - any sailor could observe the phenomenon of the horizon, for crying out loud. It was for his belief that Eratosthenes had gotten the size wrong, and the planet was a mere five thousand miles around, meaning far Cathay was only a few weeks away by sailing west. Had there not been a large continent of which he knew nothing in his way, he'd have died in his error.)

There is no "controversy", there's no "other side" - anyone saying the planet is flat is just provably wrong, that's all. It's like trying to claim that there are two or more sides to gravity, or the hazards of ionizing radiation.

Also, "science" does not change. Science is not a book full of rules and stories, like the Bible or the Qu'ran; it's a way of knowing about the universe, by refining our knowledge of what's true and what isn't. We can never have perfect knowledge - but we can slowly pare away what we know isn't so, and thus get a little closer to what is. What we know changes, but the process itself is what it is. (It can seem otherwise, if you look back far enough, because the scientific method sometimes runs counter to intuition - tiny creatures, too small to see, that can make you sick? Light has a top speed? Things of different weights fall at the same speed? - so older folks sometimes take a while to adapt to the new ways. Thucydides, in his account of the plague of Athens during the Peloponnesian War, mentioned the idea that there were "seeds of plague" that could pass from person to person, but as late as the mid-1800s men like Ignatz Semmelweiss and John Snow were mocked for their insistence on washing hands and boiling water for use in surgery. The facts didn't change, though, just the medical establishment's understanding of those facts.)

The process is usually slow, as can be seen in our refinement of our knowledge of physics. For your daily life, Newtonian physics and Euclidean geometry will work fine, even though they don't describe the universe in either very large or very fine detail - for those, you need to reference Einsteinian or quantum physics (Einstein covers the very large, Planck and Bohr the very fine.) That doesn't mean "science" changed, and it doesn't mean Newton was wrong as far as he went, it just means our understanding of the underlying facts has been refined.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    People on Earth have known the Earth was round, at the bare minimum, hundreds of years before the bible was put together. A fellow named Eratosthenes even worked out the approximate size of the earth by using shadows cast on the same day, at the same time, nearly two hundred miles apart. Given the crude and inaccurate measurements he was still only off by 10 to 15%.

Keep in mind that these ancients concluded that the Earth was a perfect sphere, which it isn't, we know know the Earth, much like many of us after a long winter, bulges a bit around the equator, but given the tools at their disposal their conclusions were very impressive.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Not sure if you guys are trying to convince me of what I already believe or what...between my own science understanding and the bible I already believe it to be round..always have. O.o

My mystery is understanding why these kinda things come up, and I tried to give my own explanation/conclusion for it!

• Options
    These things come up, Cat, because people often revel in their ignorance. Isaac Asimov put it quite well, I think, back in 1980:

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    Asimov also worked out that the flat Earth theory was only wrong by about eight inches for every mile. He also said " . . . when people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
  • Options

Not sure if you guys are trying to convince me of what I already believe or what...between my own science understanding and the bible I already believe it to be round..always have. O.o

My mystery is understanding why these kinda things come up, and I tried to give my own explanation/conclusion for it!

Not trying to convince you of anything, we're just talking about the topic at hand.
  • Options
    Like others have said already it is important that we do not treat science as gospel. Science is a continuous process people use to help each other better understand everything in our universe. The goal is knowledge and we will never be able to learn everything there is to know...but over time little by little, over centuries of hard work and study done by people from all eras and all regions of the globe we are slowly able to fit all of the little pieces together for a better understanding of the whole.

• Options
    edited May 2018

They're taking issue with your claim that there are two sides to the story. More specifically that there are two credible sides to the story or that there is "growing evidence to convince people otherwise". There is no evidence for a flat earth because there can't be evidence for something that doesn't exist. Neutrality isn't required on this issue - flat earthers are chasing a fantasy and any scientist who believes in a flat earth is not a scientist.

It's not about your beliefs. It's about your claims.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

any scientist who believes in a flat earth is not a scientist.

At the very least they are not scientists in the same way that snake oil salesmen are not actually doctors.

• Options
    They certainly aren't scientists about anything remotely connected with earth, space, or physics if they think the Earth is flat.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    beezeeze said:

spinnytop said:

At the very least they are not scientists in the same way that snake oil salesmen are not actually doctors.
    There's a difference between delusion and fraud.
  • Options

beezeeze said:

spinnytop said:

There's a difference between delusion and fraud.
    There is and I suspect that some of these people spreading lies are frauds. Frauds and delusions and the frauds are taking advantage of the delusional.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Faith and scientific thought are fundamentally incompatible states of mind. Since science requires an open mind for objective analysis of experimental data, and faith can be translated as an absolute adherence to a preconceived belief.

That said, nothing is stopping a flat-earth believer from objectively studying a totally unrelated field

I have a friend who is a leading scientific expert on the topic of blood. He's highly respected in his field. However, he also believes that dead people will rise up from their graves when the end times come. It is baffling to me how he compartmentalizes his beliefs.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    The Earth isn't just flat, it's actually square shaped. Proof can be seen in the bible:

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth [...]

Repent now, you round earthing heathens!​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Folks who claim stuff in the bible adheres to modern scientific findings try to get around that by saying that the above reference actually refers to the cardinal directions: north, south, east, and west.

I know....... but they do.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Use to be a sin if you thought the Earth was round.
  • Options

Use to be a sin if you thought the Earth was round.

Not really. That's an invention of modern (well, "modern" - only going back to the late 19th century) Biblical literalism. For most of the history of Christianity (and Judaism, for that matter) the old books were taken as allegorical references, more than actual "this is exactly how it happened". After all, it's fairly easy to prove Earth is round - no need for appeals to authority, you can actually check it out for yourself, either with the two-sticks method Eratosthenes used or just by going out to an ocean beach on a clear day and observing the horizon.

• Options
    vonqball said:

Faith and scientific thought are fundamentally incompatible states of mind. Since science requires an open mind for objective analysis of experimental data, and faith can be translated as an absolute adherence to a preconceived belief.

That said, nothing is stopping a flat-earth believer from objectively studying a totally unrelated field

I have a friend who is a leading scientific expert on the topic of blood. He's highly respected in his field. However, he also believes that dead people will rise up from their graves when the end times come. It is baffling to me how he compartmentalizes his beliefs.

Faith does not deny understanding of science, except in extreme circumstances. His belief that a supernatural force will override the workings of biology and decay one day has nothing to do with his understanding of how the processes work absent said supernatural influence.

Heck, there are a fair number of astronomers who believe that their observations of astrophysical phenomena serve to enhance their appreciation of the work of their deity of choice - and who's to say they're wrong? I mean, the Pillars of Hercules in the Eagle Nebula are pretty doggone awesome, in the old sense of "inspiring awe", once you truly start to grasp that each of those cup-like clearings with a glow in the middle is a stellar nursery, up to a dozen light-years across, birthing one or more planetary systems within it, and there are thousands of them...

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Tell that to the Catholics. The church at one point didn’t believe it, and you have to follow the teachings of the church.

Non-negotiable.
  • Options
    wow, that escalated quickly....

Even when we agree on something, your focus was to find a way to disagree. XD
    I had made my own account and was planning on buying a sub; but I fear it's just time to unplug if a difference of opinions can cause so much paranoid drama and bitter strife in people. I will be on tonight one last time to say my goodbyes to everyone in my friends list. You cant have my stuff because its technically not my account but the time I was allowed here I will say this, that Cryptic really made an awesome game here in Champs. If not for the unfortunate circumstances I would of definitely bought a Lifetime sub!

You can go ahead and close this thread down, I perceive it will just be more slander towards my beliefs anyways.

• Options
    Good lord, Grow some freaking thicker skin. No one is even really talking to you really.

You made a thread...people are discussing it, but please...don't let me stop you from leaving.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

wow, that escalated quickly....

Even when we agree on something, your focus was to find a way to disagree. XD

It's okay if people disagree with you. I'm sure that's written in your text book somewhere.

I had made my own account and was planning on buying a sub; but I fear it's just time to unplug if a difference of opinions can cause so much paranoid drama and bitter strife in people. I will be on tonight one last time to say my goodbyes to everyone in my friends list. You cant have my stuff because its technically not my account but the time I was allowed here I will say this, that Cryptic really made an awesome game here in Champs. If not for the unfortunate circumstances I would of definitely bought a Lifetime sub!

Oh no, now we are totally held hostage by the possibility of you buying a sub! Quick everyone apologize! D:

You can go ahead and close this thread down, I perceive it will just be more slander towards my beliefs anyways.

Overly prideful people often feel the need to act as if people who make negative comments about them or something they associate with are doing something wrong, because in their mind they are beyond reproach and so any negative comments are lies intended to hurt their feelings.

PS - this thread was about flat earthers, but somehow you made it about you. Think about that.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Tell that to the Catholics. The church at one point didn’t believe it, and you have to follow the teachings of the church.

Non-negotiable.

I think you're confusing the story created to promote Christopher Columbus, i.e. before this asshole everyone thought the world was flat, with the church censoring Galileo Galilei's heliocentric universe model. There isn't much evidence that any educated individuals thought the world was flat, in fact Columbus actually thought that the world was smaller than the accepted size, but Galileo was tried for heresy for suggesting that the Earth traveled around the sun.

Fun fact, it wasn't actually suggesting the heliocentric model that got Galileo in trouble, a number of people within the church saw that it actually made sense, the problem was his promoting it.
  • Options

snip

Calm down.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Folks who claim stuff in the bible adheres to modern scientific findings try to get around that by saying that the above reference actually refers to the cardinal directions: north, south, east, and west.

I know....... but they do.
    I was merely joking around. The whole idea of a flat earth was a disappointingly-recent (in terms of overall human history) development, largely fueled by the antagonism between science and Christianity that existed during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Art and other pop culture during those times likely influenced the modern misconception that people in the middle ages believed in a flat earth.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    aesica said:

I was merely joking around. The whole idea of a flat earth was a disappointingly-recent (in terms of overall human history) development, largely fueled by the antagonism between science and Christianity that existed during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Art and other pop culture during those times likely influenced the modern misconception that people in the middle ages believed in a flat earth.​​

No worries at all :)

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Non-negotiable.

This turns out not to be the case. The concept would appear to be related to attempts to undercut the Catholic church during the 18th and 19th centuries by depicting Catholics as ignorant.

Oh, and Cat - not everything is about you. And remember, pride and arrogance are sins.

• Options
    blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    aesica said:

The Earth isn't just flat, it's actually square shaped. Proof can be seen in the bible:

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth [...]

Repent now, you round earthing heathens!​​

Found this quote:

"It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
    and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
    who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
    and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;"

Turns out that's from the book of Isaiah 40:22.

Apparently, the Bible has recognised the earth as a circle thousands of years ago.
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
  • Options
    circles are flat though, since they're 2D shapes...so that doesn't really prove the bible recognizing the earth as non-flat - just that they didn't think it was some other shape​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    And yet, let's not forget that it's possible to represent 3d objects on a 2d surface. Perhaps the earth really is flat, as well as you, me, and everything else in the entire universe.​​
  • Options
    aesica said:

And yet, let's not forget that it's possible to represent 3d objects on a 2d surface. Perhaps the earth really is flat, as well as you, me, and everything else in the entire universe.​​

Only as a distorted projection - check out the shapes of the continents on a flat map sometime, as opposed to a globe. On the other hand, we're limited to perceiving only three spatial dimensions - perhaps Earth is in fact a superhypersphere, existing in five spatial dimensions, and we're only seeing three of them. :grey_question::grey_question:

• Options
    and what constitutes a dimension anyway? i know it's used to refer to length, width and height, but i've also seen it used as an interchangeable term reality or universe or whatever​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.