test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20180320.15 - Lockbox Stuff

2»

Comments

• vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Hopefully we get a thrust, a lunge or some sort of stabbing attack.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    +1 for thrusting sword moves. Bonus if they have armor pen as built in feature. More bonus if one of them is a tier 3 combo that looks flashy. Something that looks cool but isn't relegated to stupid utility power.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    vonqball said:

Hopefully we get a thrust, a lunge or some sort of stabbing attack.

sterga said:

+1 for thrusting sword moves. Bonus if they have armor pen as built in feature. More bonus if one of them is a tier 3 combo that looks flashy. Something that looks cool but isn't relegated to stupid utility power.​​

Fencing type thrusts would be nice. Overall it would be nice to have a more rapier fencing feel with single blade.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Maybe they are going to introduce Melee Healing Runes for Magic Swordman and Paladin themes :grimace:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,075 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

warcanch said:

But, that's quite the opposite of what I've seen them doing. Many a power in a set went from useful to borderline utility, but not really worth taking any more.

I don't mind some powers being in a utility role, but I dislike a power that used to be strong becoming, imo, useless. I feel we need more "strong" power options so not everyone is spamming the same combination of powers or just the same single power. THAT is boring to me.

Spamming the same single power? That's what these updates have been moving us away from.

I think the key thing here that is causing this perception is this right here ---> "imo". The powers are, in your opinion, useless. So really it's you, and the way you build and the way you use powers. Due to the way I build and play I probably get a lot of value out of powers that you don't. Every time they update a power set I see more "strong" power options than it had before. In some cases surprisingly powerful.

Sure, more options will always be great. That's why these updates are so great, they've been increasing our options. I'll be happy if they revisit powersets and add even more options.
    Really, it's not me. You can spin it the way you feel, but each set has 1 power that is the defacto "big hitter". The rest are utility, debuff, buff, etc (not all, but in general).

There are several powers that used to be "a" if not "the" big hitter which became a utility and relegated to of little use.

Just to pick a powerset, Heavy Weapons, I feel that Skullcrusher should do the same base damage as Skewer. But Skullcrusher lags behind Skewer significantly. Yes, they each do some secondary thing that the other doesn't, but that shouldn't cause one to do more base damage than the other.

That is my disagreement with the current design of powersets. The real lack of options if you want high dps. Because, if you want the highest dps in Heavy Weapons, you take Annihilate ... no question ... no other real choice ... ergo ... everyone will be spamming the same power.

I'd like more useful choices. If I like the look of Skullcrusher over Annihilate, I should be able to take Skullcrusher. Currently, if I do that, I gimp my dps. You can't question or obfuscate that.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    For SB set I'm still expecting the rotation to basically be:
    1. apply debuff
    2. build stacks
    3. refresh debuff
    4. rupture stacks if dps check or refresh stacks if not
    5. repeat

I am really hoping however that other future powerset reviews change things up a bit instead of applying the above formula with slightly different timing and aesthetics.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    See, it is you. You only see the "primary nuke" and you think everything else is meaningless. You're only focused on single target damage output. That's fine, I'm guessing you only really build for cosmics. I build for a broader selection of content than you do, so I see the value in the other power changes and I don't consider those other powers useless. There's more to the game than dpsing cosmics.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    kamokami wrote: »
    1. apply debuff
    2. build stacks
    3. refresh debuff
    5. repeat

I am really hoping however that other future powerset reviews change things up a bit instead of applying the above formula with slightly different timing and aesthetics.
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. It wouldn't even really be a problem if there were alternative rotation options available in each set this playstyle gets shoehorned into. For example, you could have one "heavy hitting" power for counting to 5 to blow the stacks, another based on building and maintaining the stacks, or another that wasn't based on bleed crap at all, but something else entirely.

This way, the player could be more open to choose the theme they want (such as single blade melee) rather than having to hunt around for the playstyle they want, only to feel like they have to settle for something that isn't quite right for their intended theme.

So...

Here's to hoping that Single Blade offers a variety of combat options instead of just the same old count-to-5-then-blow-the-stacks nonsense.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    kamokami said:

1. apply debuff
    2. build stacks
    3. refresh debuff
    5. repeat

That's already pretty much the standard single blade rotation. All it needs is to add Messy as an advantage to Dragon's Bite (currently you're better off using Eviscerate) and a dps spammable when you don't want to rupture (currently I use Dragon's Wrath).
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,085 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2018
    I mean, SB isn't going to be getting a heavy overall, its mechanics are already in place and they work fine. It will be getting touchups, a few extra powers to fill in gaps, and other things to add some variety.​​
    edited April 2018
    kaizerin wrote: »
    I mean, SB isn't going to be getting a heavy overall, its mechanics are already in place and they work fine. It will be getting touchups, a couple extra powers to fill in gaps, and other things to add some variety.

Nice, I would personally get upset if the Bleeding-stacking-rupturing mechanic was removed from the Single Blade, I still believe its a very balanced set up with a good pay off (just like Telekinesis)

Now if we also get Healing powers in the set for magic swordmen and paladin pig-29.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited April 2018
    That's true and I'm all in for Alternative builds and combat styles​​
    kaizerin said:

I mean, SB isn't going to be getting a heavy overall, its mechanics are already in place and they work fine. It will be getting touchups, a few extra powers to fill in gaps, and other things to add some variety.​​

Add Messy to Dragon's Bite so it's a viable alternative to Eviscerate. Add a good non-rupturing attack.
    Dragon's Bite does too much damage to get messy, that was already a past issue with Eviscerate, and the damage on that ability got cut down quite a bit to balance it out.​​
    edited April 2018
    kaizerin said:

Dragon's Bite does too much damage to get messy, that was already a past issue with Eviscerate, and the damage on that ability got cut down quite a bit to balance it out.​​

Then remove its bleed refresh and increase its damage, and put messy+bleed refresh on another power. Currently, eviscerate is just the superior option for utility.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Add a good non-rupturing attack.
    This would be very pleasing and would definitely add variety to a set that would otherwise just feel like more of the same.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited April 2018
    The set is a bleed based set, and will continue to play with those interactions with any of its heavy hitter abilities.

No new single target heavy hitter attacks are being introduced, as the set already has Reaper's Embrace and Dragon's Bite that fill those roles.

Anyways, there have been plenty of advantages added already to fill out rotations, you'll just have to wait for it to hit PTS. I won't be commenting anymore here on the SB update until it is on PTS.​​
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Hope SB will get a power that applies Armor Piercing or some new debuff that boost slash/piercing. Using Frag Grenade as a swordsman is a bit weird.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    spinnytop said:

See, it is you. You only see the "primary nuke" and you think everything else is meaningless. You're only focused on single target damage output. That's fine, I'm guessing you only really build for cosmics. I build for a broader selection of content than you do, so I see the value in the other power changes and I don't consider those other powers useless. There's more to the game than dpsing cosmics.

I knew you'd spin it back to "See, it is you".

You continue to think I'm just building one way/style. I don't. However, you can't deny that there are powers that aesthetically would be preferable to use, but you just gimp yourself to use them.

The majority of content can be completed with practically any combination of powers. I know myself and others created toons just picking up the substandard powers and did just fine in this content. But, if I bring this character to the higher level stuff, they get shutdown with ease. I'm not arguing that point.

However, many players ARE trying to maximize their output because they want to do the "endgame content". The simple fact is that there is only ONE power in most sets that is the big hit. I would like some other options especially for aesthetic reasons.

In my original post on this, I mention Skullcrusher and Skewer. Both are AoE (just barely, but whatever), and so should be less than Annihilate (single target). But, I feel that the base damage should be the same for Skullcrusher and Skewer so that I could choose one over the other and not feel like I didn't do the right thing for the character. And, for aesthetics, if I'm using an axe, I think it looks better bashing someone over the head with it than jamming it into their gut.

I feel the same for all sets. I think there are enough powers existing in most sets that have received "passes" by the Devs that all you would need to do is adjust their base damages and not create more powers. New sets, we all hope for nice new things with upcoming stuff.

By offering these choices, I feel it brings the power choices up to the same level as costume choices, which is at an awesome level.

edited April 2018
    warcanch said:

You continue to think I'm just building one way/style. I don't. However, you can't deny that there are powers that aesthetically would be preferable to use, but you just gimp yourself to use them.

I mean that was a long post that you wrote... which is a shame cause you could have spent much less time than that reading and saved yourself a bunch of time.
    spinnytop said:

Sure, more options will always be great. That's why these updates are so great, they've been increasing our options. I'll be happy if they revisit powersets and add even more options.

You're putting a lot of effort into agreeing with me, way more than is needed.

If you don't value aoe powers, then that is a you thing. Just own it, cause you're not being very convincing. Most of this game is aoe, and the few parts that aren't mostly don't require tippy top minmax spreadsheet dps. Literally just 2 fights.
    spinnytop said:

warcanch said:

I mean that was a long post that you wrote... which is a shame cause you could have spent much less time than that reading and saved yourself a bunch of time.
    spinnytop said:

You're putting a lot of effort into agreeing with me, way more than is needed.
    And I'm tired of you twisting what I said. It was clear. You prefer to put your effort into trying to spin me up. Done.

My position is that more options are great. Disagree if you like u3u
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Maybe it's time to lock/retire this thread. As it's gone seriously off rails.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!

elemental damage for the blades like fire, ice, electric and such as a point up grade to the attacks so you can have one but not all or maybe only two each doing a bit of elemental damage to the attacks.

Maybe make SB have synergy with Ice? lol might not be good, but freezing your target in place while you charge RE looks cool.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • I've been holding off on an electric/single blade character as I slowly rebuild all my electrical character's from Cryptic's first game so I'm game for elemental stuff. My issue is I haven't found a build I like using stuff already created to cross over sets (Shoulder Launcher burn patches, Fireball with negative ions, etc.) as I never have the powers or advantage points to spare.

I can either focus on one or two jobs I want the character to do (CC/heal, dps/tank), or one elemental/damage type theme. A character doesn't have enough to do more than that well. Notice I said well.

I'd rather a Neverwinter-style skill tree once you hit level 40 based off experience gained from cosmics or fighting QWZ baddies that applied elemental abilities, CCing, healing, etc to your attacks.

And once I win the lottery and hand Kaiserin a check for $500,000 she can get the staff to do that before I turn 50.
    ADD Altaholic known as @Rejolt in game. I'm a dork, but hopefully a harmless one.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    Maybe it would be nice to have shredded as an option on an SB power. That only exists in DB at the moment, right?

Hope SB will get a power that applies Armor Piercing or some new debuff that boost slash/piercing. Using Frag Grenade as a swordsman is a bit weird.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

elemental damage for the blades like fire, ice, electric and such as a point up grade to the attacks so you can have one but not all or maybe only two each doing a bit of elemental damage to the attacks.

Yes! This would be superb. Add elemental advantages of various types to a couple of the SB powers, perhaps even the EB.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited April 2018
    Some single blade powers I would love to see...

A series of lightning fast stabs.. a bit like a swordier version of 100 hands. With a chance to bleed on each hit.

Adv for scything blade that makes it fire off a dimensional (chi) projectile(s) in a wide arc.

30' lunge attack that actually hurts and inflicts a deep wound.

A dodge adv on the combo to compete with thundering kicks. Why does every dodge tank have to kick?

Maybe it would be nice to have shredded as an option on an SB power. That only exists in DB at the moment, right?

I believe Reaper's Caress and Slash both have Shredded adv.
    Speaking of Reaper's Caress, can we change the animation to something more cool looking? the twirl one the 3rd hit looks...bleh. Also, Slash's sound effect is really loud. I thought my character was verbally doing that sound.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User

Speaking of Reaper's Caress, can we change the animation to something more cool looking? the twirl one the 3rd hit looks...bleh.

NOOOO! . Reaper's caress is the only cool looking combo move we currently have on single blade set (yeah, the other combo power, "slash" animation seriously stinks).
    Do NOT break Reaper's caress please. Add as much more combo moves variation you want in the set , but do it separately and leave reaper's caress as it is.

If devs search easy combo variations to add in the single blade set, do not hesitate to take animations from laser blade set, dual blade set, tk blade powers, and check how it would look with a single blade user.
    If it looks good, there is no shame into recycling already existing animations and put it into new powers for single blade powerset.

On a personnal note, there are a lot of single blade characters i would like to create, but i feel like there's currently not enough powers variations choices in SB set to make these characters look different from each other.

Keep in mind devs likely already have all their changes for SB mapped out ( and possibly already working on them ) so all these suggestions might become irrelevant once the changes hit. You might be all like "I wish it had this" right now, and then when the changes hit you get something way better than that. I know that's happened to me a few times already.
    Of course. But this is the time and place to toss your ideas out there and hope the devs might see some and say "let's do it."

Sure, it's a very slim chance, but this is when and where to do it. Especially since one has already stated that very few powers are being added to SB, so your comment about "mapped out" is probably already set in stone. We're all dreamers, though. And hope is a good thing.

• criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    Well I don't know if its the right place to post this idea, but I'd like to see a power similar to Eye of the Storm/Ego Blade Frenzy that hits enemies in a circle using the single sword version of EoTs like EBFrenzy. Ofc it would be nice to have it access to Cut to Shreds adv as well a 3pt adv shield.
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    vonqball said:

Some single blade powers I would love to see...

A series of lightning fast stabs.. a bit like a swordier version of 100 hands. With a chance to bleed on each hit.

Adv for scything blade that makes it fire off a dimensional (chi) projectile(s) in a wide arc.

30' lunge attack that actually hurts and inflicts a deep wound.

A dodge adv on the combo to compete with thundering kicks. Why does every dodge tank have to kick?

Yeaaaah I like this.

Also like the idea of elemental advantages on attacks. Always nice to see crossover of powerset buffs. It is nice to use multiple frameworks without having to sacrifice performance.
    xrazamax said:

Yeaaaah I like this.

\o/

I'm hot-cold on elemental advantages...

• magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Keep in mind devs likely already have all their changes for SB mapped out ( and possibly already working on them ) so all these suggestions might become irrelevant once the changes hit

All very true. But I like the idea of splitting the set between Buccaneer styled slash powers (the cutlass style, with more AoEs doing more damage to multiple foes) and the Rapier - single target, dodging attacks, every cut weaking the target's resolve before delivering the coup de grace. I suppose Rapier would be more about Bleed stacks and rupture, Buccaneer more about things like Deep Wound and Shredded.
This discussion has been closed.