test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Red Winter Cut Scenes

n8mcdn8mcd Posts: 332 Arc User
Please turn off player visibility in all the Red Winter cutscenes.

Some people stop participating to run over to where Soviet Guard or the Helecopter spawn to be in the cut-scenes.

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Or...they could add Selfie! emote to next event....
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Meh
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    n8mcd said:

Some people stop participating to run over to where Soviet Guard or the Helecopter spawn to be in the cut-scenes.

I just did one where I got top score AND photobombed BOTH cutscenes!

Why yes, I do like photobombing....

ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    This is something very mild to get upset about...but sure I guess?

I have the glaring suspicion though that the people who devote their time to doing these things wouldn't have helped much in the progression of the alert even if they participated (re: DPS below 500, Support Role DPS, Nailed to the ground and Break Through adv. on a non PvP toon, etc. etc.)
    lezard21 said:

This is something very mild to get upset about...but sure I guess?

I have the glaring suspicion though that the people who devote their time to doing these things wouldn't have helped much in the progression of the alert even if they participated (re: DPS below 500, Support Role DPS, Nailed to the ground and Break Through adv. on a non PvP toon, etc. etc.)

Oh really? :D Only if they suck at photobombing. I can get top score on the scoreboard AND photobomb at the same time :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    also, photobombing the second cutscene in Red Winter is best done by tanks as all 3 enemies WILL start trying to beat you to death as soon as they spawn, so you get to spend the entire cutscene listening to them trying to beat you to death. They can't damage you until the cutscene ends, but... when it ends you now have all there aggroed on you.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    n8mcd said:

I have several toons that can make the cut scene after defeating all the villains. It's not hard to do. Turning off those cut scenes would ruin the only enjoyment I get out of that alert.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    While a relatively minor gripe, I'd be in favor of them fixing this. Anything to encourage players to be more useful and less retarded during any alert gets my vote.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Just to demonstrate proper technique as some of you seem unfamiliar with it....
    https://youtu.be/WbNiHDZxKfo
    Actually I was a bit slow on both. I wasn't properly centered, but you do get to listen as Red Winter try to beat Lautna to death. :)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    While a relatively minor gripe, I'd be in favor of them fixing this. Anything to encourage players to be more useful and less retarded during any alert gets my vote.

Same to be honest​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User
    This might be my fault... I used to do this a few years back and started doing it again this past week.

My strategy was either drawing the npc's closer to the helicopter landing pad or using a 100' attack (LArc), never saw anyone leaving so early to mug for the camera until the last few days.
    lezard21 said:

Pretty much this, and I'd bet they also have a political affiliation I don't like, a sexual orientation different than mine, a religious/atheist belief system that bothers me and a pet that I find annoying. They probably also eat or don't eat certain food groups. It's pretty amazing what you can discern about a person based on what they do in the last split second of Red Winter.

avianos said:

aesica said:

While a relatively minor gripe, I'd be in favor of them fixing this. Anything to encourage players to be more useful and less retarded during any alert gets my vote.

Same to be honest​​
    I now feel the urge to make another video.... Maybe the proper technique wasn't adequately demonstrated the first time?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

Or...they could add Selfie! emote to next event....
    :#

This is much better suggestion. All best players are cutscene bombing, only bad players do not.
    Perhaps this better explain the proper technique:
    https://youtu.be/wI5HrjAy7NM
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited February 2018
    grimvane wrote: »
    Pretty much this, and I'd bet they also have a political affiliation I don't like, a sexual orientation different than mine, a religious/atheist belief system that bothers me and a pet that I find annoying. They probably also eat or don't eat certain food groups. It's pretty amazing what you can discern about a person based on what they do in the last split second of Red Winter.
    Technically he has a point though. When your focus is running off to make sure your character's in place before the cutscene lands, optionally picking up some large object along the way, it's unlikely that you're actually making a useful contribution.

In fact, that video reveals how, while everyone else is killing bosses, the would-be photobomber is doing useless things like picking up vehicles and standing around, waiting for everyone else to do the things required to progress the alert.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica said:

grimvane said:

Technically he has a point though. When your focus is running off to make sure your character's in place before the cutscene lands, optionally picking up some large object along the way, it's unlikely that you're actually making a useful contribution.​
    As Leonidas once said, Let's put that theory to the test! A simple, objective way is to look at scoreboard contribution.

In the first video, Lautna placed second on the board, with 4922 points and ~17% of the score.... yeah, somehow J Nee managed to get over 50%....
    In the second video, Tsin'xing placed first with 7723 points and >35% of the score.

Soo... who would you say was useless in those videos?
    aesica said:

In fact, that video reveals how, while everyone else is killing bosses, the would-be photobomber is doing useless things like picking up vehicles and standing around, waiting for everyone else to do the things required to progress the alert.​​

Really now? We can math this too! :D

video 1: total length; 2:49, time spent photobombing when I could have been fighting: 12 seconds (I literally spent 6 seconds grabbing the jet after disengaging from Red Dawn and about the same amount of time grabbing the Humvee later.)
    video 2: total length 3:56, time spent photobombing when I could have been fighting: 40 (Yeah I forgot that the team DPS would drop once I moved away from them, 'cause AoPM)

Also, I disengaged from Red Dawn when he was around half health, and disengaged from Hammer, Sickle and Soviet Guard when the group was below 1/3.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I didn't realize that Red Winter was such demanding content now. Did they change it to something that actually needs 5 players being super professional ?

PS - I didn't even realize there were things you can pick up in Red Winter, I'll be doing that in the future.
    As Leonidas once said, Let's put that theory to the test! A simple, objective way is to look at scoreboard contribution.
    Each time you queue, you're going to get random people with varying levels of power, so the only thing you can really glean from the scoreboard results is just how much the group needed your contribution when you decided to run off and be useless. During the first one, your overall contribution wasn't very high so the group probably didn't see much of a drop in dps when you disengaged. However, during the second one, your contribution was much higher which means they needed you that much more.

Just bear in mind that the alert can be failed if the rest of the group isn't strong enough. Nobody (well, almost nobody) really cares if random people photobomb the various smashes and grabs because the boss gets whupped in the same place as the cutscene and you even have a few seconds after it faceplants to pose yourself. Since Red Winter isn't like that, if the alert fails because you're busy holding a jet or jeep or whatever instead of contributing, that failure is on you. Not to mention, you just wasted the time of 4 other players.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I didn't realize that Red Winter was such demanding content now. Did they change it to something that actually needs 5 players being super professional ?
    It's possible to fail the alert if the overall group is too weak to beat the timer, so there's that.​​
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    If you guys are talking about the scoreboard, the scoreboard in Red Winter is pretty broken. You can get a stupid amount of points just by healing anything.
  • grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User
    aesica said:

...Technically he has a point though...

I just thought it was interesting.

I don't remember who they were or what SG they were from, but they obviously had planned it out, were fast, burned down the bosses, left enough trash for the three of us to give themselves enough time to make the first cutscene, and then focused the first two bosses and took off for the helicopter pad when the third was around 3/4 to half health so they had plenty of time to get their dance emotes rocking (running man I think) for the second cutscene.

They were pretty much the opposite of what lezard suspects. That doesn't mean it isn't tacky or retarded or anything... just sayin.
    aesica said:

Each time you queue, you're going to get random people with varying levels of power, so the only thing you can really glean from the scoreboard results is just how much the group needed your contribution when you decided to run off and be useless. During the first one, your overall contribution wasn't very high so the group probably didn't see much of a drop in dps when you disengaged. However, during the second one, your contribution was much higher which means they needed you that much more.
    Actually.... no. Unless I'm carrying the team, they don't need me that badly. when it's 4 players fighting just Hammer with 1 minute left(half the time for the boss fight) they'd have to be total scrubs to fail. In the first video I was SECOND. So if my contribution "wasn't very high" what does that say about the others?

In theory if the team is willing to coordinate, you could kite Red Dawn to the platform where the other three spawn, then Kite them to the helicopter... ooohhh... I wanna try that now!
    aesica said:

spinnytop said:

It's possible to fail the alert if the overall group is too weak to beat the timer, so there's that.​​
    A character like J Nee could probably solo the alert, so it's not likely even in a PUG. You really need a team with 5 players who suck to fail. 2-3 players with good build can complete the alert.
    qawsada said:

If you guys are talking about the scoreboard, the scoreboard in Red Winter is pretty broken. You can get a stupid amount of points just by healing anything.

Yeah, one thing I heard is that it's Healing + (DamageDone/10).
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters