test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dinosaurs: Feathers or no feathers?

Comments

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Feathers always gave like raptor an interesting look.
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Depends on which era's fiction the story is emulating. Pre-1990s, dinosaurs are scaly, slow, coldblooded, and stupid. Pre-2010, they're fast, scaly, and "clever girls". After that, the feathers start kicking in.

In any case, no-feathers is easier to animate.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Chickens.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    Sequins for the win. ;)
  • Options
    salmialmisalmialmi Posts: 29 Arc User
    I prefer my dinosaurs to be up to date with the latest scientific understandings.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Depends. You want accuracy? Paleontological research shows you want feathers. (Some amber remnants, and a few rare fossils, actually show imprints of the feathers themselves.) Otherwise, knock yourself out.

Chickens aren't that far off - the original stock, the red junglefowl of southeast Asia, are among the closest remaining relatives to therapods like T. rex. In fact, in 2012 researchers discovered the fossilized remains of a tyrannosaur covered in fuzzy protofeathers. (Still with the claws and fangs, though - as one of them put it, the feathers “might make it a little more amusing, but only until the point right before it tears you to shreds.”)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jonsills said:

Depends. You want accuracy? Paleontological research shows you want feathers.

Though mixed scales and feathers probably happened.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    jonsills said:

Depends. You want accuracy? Paleontological research shows you want feathers. (Some amber remnants, and a few rare fossils, actually show imprints of the feathers themselves.) Otherwise, knock yourself out.

Chickens aren't that far off - the original stock, the red junglefowl of southeast Asia, are among the closest remaining relatives to therapods like T. rex. In fact, in 2012 researchers discovered the fossilized remains of a tyrannosaur covered in fuzzy protofeathers. (Still with the claws and fangs, though - as one of them put it, the feathers “might make it a little more amusing, but only until the point right before it tears you to shreds.”)

One person compared them to ostriches and moas.

You see the tiny head and go aw... cute... But they're far from harmless. Yes, they're mostly herbivores... mostly.

also, they're not as small compared to dinosaurs as you might think....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Whatever is most scientifically accurate. Also, being fashionable is a plus.

ZdCXSxb.png​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    Pre-2010, they're fast, scaly, and "clever girls".

uh wut? the whole 'dinosaurs had feathers' thing started at least as early as 1996, possibly earlier​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited December 2017

uh wut? the whole 'dinosaurs had feathers' thing started at least as early as 1996, possibly earlier​​

I think he's referencing Jurassic Park specifically, and the cultural impact that it had on pop cultural interpretations of dinosaurs. I grew up thinking dinosaurs didn't have feathers because of those movies, and it's been a long process to come to terms with the idea that they do.

To the OP's question, I prefer my dinosaurs without.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Dragons.

Are real.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User

Pre-2010, they're fast, scaly, and "clever girls".

But more general public perception, and saturation in fiction, took longer. And since we at present only encounter dinosaurs in fictional settings...
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Since Jurassic park had (in-universe) cloned monstrosities instead of real dinos anyways. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I like em large and feathery and also preferably extinct because otherwise that would be terrifying.

• Options
    omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User

I think he's referencing Jurassic Park specifically, and the cultural impact that it had on pop cultural interpretations of dinosaurs. I grew up thinking dinosaurs didn't have feathers because of those movies, and it's been a long process to come to terms with the idea that they do.

To the OP's question, I prefer my dinosaurs without.

I'm sort of from this crowd here. When I think dinosaur, I usually envision scales and frills and such. I accept a lot of them really had feathers, if even just a few on their whole body though.