Champions Online Costume Contest.

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
And playing by myself since Aug 2009
Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    haha I know that there are at least 75 people with ready-made costumes who should go to this
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I actually anticipated some sort of Halloween CC. Not necessarily Dev sponsored, but you get the idea.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I got to put this here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFg_Dthbpfg
    (Foxbat stuff starts at 3:00 and the really important stuff at 4:40) :#
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/178932/halloween-party-with-foxbat-rp-event/p1
    1st ever Halloween in CO. And Foxbat.
  • neandertalianeandertalia Posts: 40 Arc User
    I have a problem with the definition of "classic hero"... Help ? Is it like origin Superman ? Underwears put over tights and a mask ? Or something more in the classic literature ? Like I don't know... Sherlock Holmes ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Classic hero is tights, or possibly other costumes that you see in traditional superhero comics, like capes, cloaks, masks, hoods, maybe a "trenchcoat" style hero, etc.

Justice League, X-Men, Avengers--those sorts of costumes.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Huh. Wonder if it'd be worth it to show up with Hypernova in his "Luke Cage: Power Man" outfit.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User

I have a problem with the definition of "classic hero"... Help ? Is it like origin Superman ? Underwears put over tights and a mask ? Or something more in the classic literature ? Like I don't know... Sherlock Holmes ?

I feel like as with all costume contests the definition of each category largely depends on the tastes and opinions of each particular judge making the call. Classic Heroes is a very broad term and I get the idea that they are being vague on purpose to allow for a wider variety of concepts to qualify. Go with your gut, maybe you'll get lucky and you'll make something that they think is worthy of a winning spot.

And as always it is their contest, they put in the time to organize it and provide the rewards...all we have to do is show up. Hopefully I will be able to be there.

• monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    And the delay slid this from "eh, I probably won't win anyway" to "dammit, I have to cook supper". Ah well...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    monaahiru said:
    I don't think anyone from that zone won the horror prize. Don't know about hero as I didn't stick around. 3 and a half hours and I think you gave my costume more of a look then the judges did. I'm never doing that again.
    jonsills said:

And the delay slid this from "eh, I probably won't win anyway" to "dammit, I have to cook supper". Ah well...

For me it went from guaranteed disappointment to complete resentment. If you don't think my costume is any good why waste our time?
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

jonsills said:

For me it went from guaranteed disappointment to complete resentment. If you don't think my costume is any good why waste our time?
    In over 8 years you haven't learned how to attend a CC? That's a bit of a shame.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    Seriously. If you can't attend a costume contest and have fun without winning, just don't go. You are NOT going to win MOST OF THE TIME. The purpose is to hang out and check out cool costumes. There are over 240 people, roughly 200 contestants. 6 totally placings. You have ~3% chance of placing. Even with a TON of Honorable Mentions, you had a 1 in 10 chance of winning honorable mention.

If you feel like it is going to inconvenience you because of length, timing, or you want to do something else... then don't go to that CC. Go to one you can make, that doesn't take as long, or has categories/host you like. That simple.

If you only went because you thought this was a rare chance for that sword, you should have watched some youtube videos or found something else to do while the judging went on. Check back periodically. If you sat around just getting more and more upset at the length of the CC or that you could you could have done something else (or worse - upset simply because you didn't win) then you are being ridiculous.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    monaahiru said:
    Oh, hey... It's me. Right there in the middle.

Should have worn my other tights....
    Yeah, I just wanted a look at the winners. Didn't even get over to the Horror side. Would have appreciated a heads-up that this had just become a free-fire zone...

crosschan said:

guyhumual said:

jonsills said:

In over 8 years you haven't learned how to attend a CC? That's a bit of a shame.
    It was three and a half hours and only the second but most defiantly the last costume contest I'll ever attend. I thought maybe it would have been an hour and then I'd get to join my friends, I'd probably would have been disappointed, but not angry or bitter. When you're made to wait for nearly 4 hours, completely waste your evening, well that's a different story. Maybe you think that sort of thing is fun but it's been my worst experience in CO in 7 years.

monaahiru said:
    Oh, hey... It's me. Right there in the middle.

Should have worn my other tights....
    You cool! o3o

Press good or like or wut ever to keep my motivation. o3o
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Costume contest run by the community tend to be 30 minutes or less. Long standing guilds / vet host tend to be under 15 minutes. So, long, drawn out CCs are not really a thing if you should ever change your mind about attending again.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    The PvP flag during the Negalodon fight was a nightmare. I was on my healer and couldn't heal properly. At least we killed it and got Dev Tokens.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    I made a costume but had to do other stuff :/
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited November 2017

The PvP flag during the Negalodon fight was a nightmare. I was on my healer and couldn't heal properly. At least we killed it and got Dev Tokens.

Better on you I died a lot at that big fish because glass canon. o3o
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    > @guyhumual said:
    >
    >
    > It was three and a half hours and only the second but most defiantly the last costume contest I'll ever attend. I thought maybe it would have been an hour and then I'd get to join my friends, I'd probably would have been disappointed, but not angry or bitter. When you're made to wait for nearly 4 hours, completely waste your evening, well that's a different story. Maybe you think that sort of thing is fun but it's been my worst experience in CO in 7 years.
    — — — — — — — — —

You were “made to wait for nearly 4 hours” ??!!??

No wonder you are upset. People! The Devs were holding Guyhumual against their will! This is serious business! We support you Guy!
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    No Dev Tokens despite fighting the shark and being present when it died. #disappointment
    I didn't even know the shark was there, which is a little sad because I was running the Shark Knight at the time. All I saw was a couple of costumes, then lots of flashing powers, then the floor.

It was a surprise for me too. I was the last one to get a prize and then I crashed....came back into game and it was complete mayhem!

It was so awesome
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    guyhumual said:

It was three and a half hours and only the second but most defiantly the last costume contest I'll ever attend.

Well, most costume contests don't take that long. Our devs are no CC Hosting pros. CC Hosting regulars would have had the whole thing done in under an hour even with three zones worth of people attending. They're devs tho, not experienced CC hosting regulars, they did the best they could to give us a neat event. I spent most of it just talking with people and saying crazy things o3o

I mean honestly if you had that rotten of a time you should have left sooner. Or maybe you only started having a bad time after the winners were announced? uwu

A nightmare? The best part you mean! ..of course I'm used to Kaizerin's shenanigens by now so I knew the pvp flag was coming so I immediately got in position and started lobbing ice grenades, TK Lances, and giant pink hands at everyone who wasn't a tank Owo try to guess how many of Jewel's defeats I had a hand in
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    [pulls up soap box and stands on it] :#

Multi-zone CCs will always take a while. You always get the salty crew coming out when things are so quick, or when things take too long. Make your mind up! Flawless tend to take less than EIGHT MINUTES from on-the-hour start to first winner announcement. If you're late to a Flawless CC, you're going to be out of luck. The times are in the contest-central channel pop-up for all to see, so there's no excuse.

A quick CC is likely for one of two reasons: The judges know exactly what they're are looking for, or the turnout is smaller (less than a couple of dozen).

A slow CC is likely for one or more of several reasons: Massive turnout (especially if it involves more than one Theater instance); obscure or open-to-interpretation theme/categories; small or solo judge/host count; technical issues on the part of the host and/or judges.

To guyhumual, I say this: If you are basing your entire opinion of costume contests on just the TWO that you've attended, you're basically not giving the format a chance. Additionally, with a turnout of over 200 like this years Halloween contest, the winners - as many as there were - were still only about ten-percent of the entire turnout. I will not deny you the right to your opinion, but in this instance, getting salty about the wait and perceived waste of time because you decided to turn up a couple of hours early is just silly. The CC start time was posted on these forums. You know what time it was due to start, and if you'd had more than just one CCs experience, you'd likely know that it would probably create more than one theater instance because of the volume of entrants. Nothing was demanding that you enter the theater any earlier that five minutes before CC start time (in which case you would have had to wait slightly more than an hour because of a delay entirely outside of Cryptic's control, or you could have gone made dinner, eaten AND come back in that time), and the number of entrants would have keyed you in on just how long this was likely to take. As it was, I was impressed that considering the sheer volume of entries, that the TWO Devs (as opposed to a half-dozen judges for more typical CCs) did a fantastic job.

People salty about the wait likely were there for a couple of hours before the scheduled start, and maybe have no in-game friends, don't have a second monitor to watch YouTube on while they wait (or how to alt-tab to another running program), or forgot how to walk out of the room and turn on their TV/stereo/console/read a book/pick their nose.

People salty about not winning at least an HM can just stop being a baby… those of you in this category I have absolutely zero sympathy for. We all feel a little let down if a costume we spent time on doesn't get some kind of 'official' recognition, but at the end of the day, this is a GAME, and CCs are run VOLUNTARILY, the hosts and judges effort and time put aside in order to provide YOU with a CHANCE (yeah, notice that link? I even did the looking up for the definition of that word for you) that you might win something that THEY have donated for YOU to potentially win for minimal, if any effort on your part.

This last bit is the most important. There are people that genuinely have hundreds of costume slots on a single character and can readily find a toon that will fit pretty much any category given, with perhaps minimal effort to alter. Others have spare character slots and use them to create a new toon specifically for entering the one CC (which does then involve some effort to create a costume), and if they win, transfer their winnings to their hideout and then delete the toon. Still others will not enter CCs unless their costume is a good fit, and don't make alterations. And there are some truly dedicated CCers that will spend 20+ globals on a costume change because that's how much they love CCs (as an aside, more than 20 globals can be earned by a level 40 toon in just eight Smash alerts, less if they use a Resource Booster).

So the next time you are about to put your fingers on your keyboard and start whining about how a costume contest sucked, or how it took so long, or conversely, seemed to be over too soon (or you arrived late and were annoyed at not being considered for a regularly scheduled CC), pause and think carefully about what you're really mad about.

[gets off soapbox] :3
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
    edited November 2017
    *kicks soapbox away* costume contests are dumb and boring tho so nobody is missing anything by not attending them. I went to this one cause of the prizes and the chance that there would be reality gem style shenanigens u3u

I've been to a few CCs, even hosted some, and they're all bad, everything is bad, you're bad! *baps sapphiechu on head with a thing* >:C
    *takes soap box*

Would you stop stealing the soap!!!
    edited November 2017
    *grabs soapbox, takes soap out so others can use it, stands on empty soapbox*

Sappiechu's right, you know. This happened the last time I attended an official CC, too - there were three Theaters full of people to judge, and the judges had to keep jumping instances so they could see everyone and adjudicate fairly. That's going to take some time. If you can't spare that kind of time, it's best not to get involved - that's one of the reasons I wound up not participating this time, because I had pork chops to fry. (Had it started at 5pm Pacific, as originally intended, I could have arranged to have someone else watch the screen while I was cooking, but that's not how the universe unfolded this time.)

And given the costumes I saw on the "Classic" side, I like to think Hypernova would have really stood a chance.

spinnytop said:

I mean honestly if you had that rotten of a time you should have left sooner. Or maybe you only started having a bad time after the winners were announced? uwu

No I was having a rotten time three hours in when my friends started logging for the night and I realized I'd made a terrible decision. If I'd gotten just an honorable mention I might have convinced myself that it had been all worth it but with over 200 people competing I knew well before names were announced that it wasn't very likely. If it'd been a couple of hours with the same outcome I'd have been disappointed but hardly upset. I stayed because I wanted a chance on that sword. If they'd only been offering foils or keys I'd have left the moment they pushed the start time back. Admittedly it was my own greed that kept me there, I got nobody to blame but myself, but for future reference organizing and pulling off a temple run might not net me a greater chance at the sword but at least it'd have been better then the purgatory of standing around.

[pulls up soap box and stands on it] :#
    To guyhumual, I say this: If you are basing your entire opinion of costume contests on just the TWO that you've attended, you're basically not giving the format a chance. Additionally, with a turnout of over 200 like this years Halloween contest, the winners - as many as there were - were still only about ten-percent of the entire turnout. I will not deny you the right to your opinion, but in this instance, getting salty about the wait and perceived waste of time because you decided to turn up a couple of hours early is just silly. The CC start time was posted on these forums. You know what time it was due to start, and if you'd had more than just one CCs experience, you'd likely know that it would probably create more than one theater instance because of the volume of entrants. Nothing was demanding that you enter the theater any earlier that five minutes before CC start time (in which case you would have had to wait slightly more than an hour because of a delay entirely outside of Cryptic's control, or you could have gone made dinner, eaten AND come back in that time), and the number of entrants would have keyed you in on just how long this was likely to take. As it was, I was impressed that considering the sheer volume of entries, that the TWO Devs (as opposed to a half-dozen judges for more typical CCs) did a fantastic job.

I showed up 8 minutes before the scheduled start time, the devs pushed the start time back after I arrived, and because I didn't want to miss the event by getting side tracked or end up late I stayed rather travel to Vibora to hang out with my friends. The event still didn't start at the new time really, and the judging in my zone took less then 10 minutes, and supposing the other zones took as long to judge then that should have taken half an hour, add another contest and that should have been about an hour of judging, debate the winners, compile the names, and boom I'd have been out of there in under two hours. I don't mind losing, heck I've never won a contest in my life, but I guess it a loss of an entire evening that pisses me off. I'm usually only on for two and a half hours most evenings so I was tired and angry (more at myself) for attending.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I have ever only won a costume contest on CO once (twice if you count a forum contest that TrailTurtle ran), and I am somebody who semi-regularly attends them. But I'm okay with that because I don't need a contest win to tell me my costumes are good.

What tells me my costumes are good are random tells from people around the RenCen complimenting my character looks.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    I guess I'd be more interested in CCs if I'd ever seen Batman or Wolverine enter one.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    How could anyone have boring time there?
    I drank beer, ate pizza, watched some movies. Drank some more beer. Ate some potatochips. Popped in to check whats going on. Fought some nasty **s sharks. Drank a bit more beer.
    And if you don't like there. Leave. It's free choice.
    Don't think you accomplish anything by moping in Zone and in Forums how terrible time you had. Don't really care.
    I hope devs have time to make more of these kind of gatherings.
    Pip pip cheerio.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Hey I thought it went pretty well but also I was drunk during most of it.

edited November 2017

How could anyone have boring time there?
    I drank beer, ate pizza, watched some movies. Drank some more beer. Ate some potatochips. Popped in to check whats going on. Fought some nasty **s sharks. Drank a bit more beer.

I left when the winners were announced. I didn't fight any sharks. My experience was waiting around for three and a half hours not doing anything.

And if you don't like there. Leave. It's free choice.

If the sword hadn't been in the mix I'd have left the moment they pushed the start time back an hour.

Don't think you accomplish anything by moping in Zone and in Forums how terrible time you had. Don't really care.

I didn't mope in zone but I did on the forums because all my friends had called it a night and I wanted to vent. I don't think my venting ruined the experience for you did it? I mean you're clearly saying it didn't, so what's the big deal about me complaining? I'm not demanding anything, I'm not looking for things to change, I'm just saying my personal opinion. I very much doubt anyone is going to know or care that I'm not at the next dev run costume contest.

I hope devs have time to make more of these kind of gatherings.
    Pip pip cheerio.

And like I said earlier, if you had fun then good on you, I didn't and I'm sorry if that bothers you in some way despite claiming it doesn't. I said my piece, I explained why I didn't have a good time, and maybe we can leave it at that? If the Devs do other events in the future I might attend, no more costume contests for me though.
    edited November 2017
    I've been in long CCs that were fun, that was because there was stuff to do other than stand around and wait. Like trivia contests.

Also for this contest, the categories were(from what I've gathered) done separately. Most contests each player only participates in one category, and may or may not win in that. This one the costumes were one at a time.

also:
    Post edited by markhawkman on
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    first I want to say thank you to our hosts

This contest may have had some technical issues but I really hope won't stop you from holding many more in the future
    'cause after all practice makes perfect
  • meeoeoowiemeeoeoowie Posts: 78 Arc User
    Soap.. boxes? helpIdon'tunderstand
    Nevermind, I get it. Anyway, I'm mostly writing this out of having been encouraged to do so, after having voiced my opinions on the CC. This is going to be a long post, I don't blame anyone for skipping it, but I appreciate the read. So here goes!

I had fun, in retrospect, all things considered. It did understandably drag on for a long time. But now we know, and if the experience was terrible for someone this time, then that's a real shame. For next time, that's something to weigh into the consideration. This topic isn't what I wanted to address, so I'm going to swiftly move on.

A lot of people, and people I know, found some of the results for the CC jarring. Not necessarily because it wasn't them, but because it didn't coincide with what they feel matches a show of practiced creativity and costuming technique (if that doesn't sound too obnoxious).
    This isn't a jab at the winners, I'm really happy for those who won their respective places, and will always try to be glad on behalf of those who do.
    This isn't a complaint as someone who lost, because I didn't, but I didn't win either. I became an honorable mention, which in the very least puts me in a semi-neutral "I didn't win, but didn't lose" position of perspective. Kinda.

The people I am in show of sympathy with right now, are the people who spend hours on end passionately making costumes and designs in this game, and the large portion of people who have effectively built a creative "meta" of techniques and improved at designing costumes over the course of years. A lot of these people remained on their respective squares, and their looks weren't bad, and the winners weren't bad, even though the winners weren't better.

And obviously this isn't a "Judging is subjective" argument, even though judging in large part is! My point, which I've made a slow climb towards, is that the devs don't judge CCs often. They may judge CCs the least out of any organised CC group, as far as I know.
    Thus the devs aren't necessarily experienced judges, and that isn't to put shame on them, they are busy people. On the contrary, through technical difficulties they managed to pull off this 3-instance whopper anyhow, and that's admirable!

In the end the bottom line is simple, that the devs aren't as acquainted with keeping an eye out for costumes that invigorate concepts, or pull off something wholly unique, or manage some multi-piece trick to create an entirely new visual, or utilise a limited color palette to the fullest, or spend hours considering balance and value between the palette and pieces.
    You get used to this kind of thing from judging time and time again, consistently, maybe even weekly, which many judges do.

Which the devs do not.

And that's it, really. I congratulate the winners, and wish everyone else (including the HMs) better luck next time, should you choose to participate. I know that high-stakes make a loss all the more frustrating, especially if it somehow felt unjust.
    It is not a given that the devs are experienced judges, so if you felt overlooked, remember there were +200 contestants, and two judges who barely ever get to do this kind of thing.

Finally, if I offended anyone, or come off redundant, I apologize. I wanted to do this for people whom I think would find some kind of solace in it, or find it serve as some kind of pat on the back.

That's all! Sorry for the long post!
    Later~​​
    [A Place to Post Power Concepts] - I don't update this thing as often as I want to, but it is not abandoned!
    [Daily Login Rewards] - They sure would spice things up a bit!
    [Monthly Rewards and Silver Players] - Surely there should be some way to get them, no matter how difficult!
    [Discussion Concerning Event Powers] - Feel like you're missing out on Holy Water? Uh, probably shouldn't.
    [Discussion Concerning Energy Stats] - More or less what it says on the tin, there.
    [Analysis of Sorcery Copy-Powers] - I showcase some visual chopjobs, and such.
    [Analysis of a Poison Spread Bug] - The different interactions Virulent Propagation and Bite has with all poisons.
  • mutantmaidsmutantmaids Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited November 2017

In the end the bottom line is simple, that the devs aren't as acquainted with keeping an eye out for costumes that invigorate concepts, or pull off something wholly unique, or manage some multi-piece trick to create an entirely new visual, or utilise a limited color palette to the fullest, or spend hours considering balance and value between the palette and pieces.

You get used to this kind of thing from judging time and time again, consistently, maybe even weekly, which many judges do.

Which the devs do not.

​​

I agree with everything else but this. Two devs who are working in design/creativity-intensive portions of the game should not have to practice in order to know what costumes take the most effort, blend together fluidly, and generally display a large amount of tailoring know-how, especially when one of those devs is an expert at using and rebuilding the tailor.

It's like inviting a well-known designer to your show, and thinking they couldn't judge the models' outfits just because it was their first time being on the show.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The real explanation is much simpler: tastes differ. I wouldn't have judged the winners the same way as the GMs did, but really, that applies to any costume contest I didn't personally run.
    beezeeze said:

Hey I thought it went pretty well but also I was drunk during most of it.

That's the real CC meta.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I listened to podcasts, made dinner, and picked up my daughter from the train during all the waiting around.
    It was annoying, but a CC usually doesn't require anything more than the vaguest of attention, unless you are picked as a winner at the end.

As far as the winners/styles/judges--it's subjective. Since these devs don't run CCs often, we aren't familiar with what they were looking for. That's true any time you enter a CC run by new(er) folks. No biggie.

I'm happy that there was a dev event. The technical problems and delays were really lousy, and make a bad impression, but hopefully the turnout and enthusiasm will encourage them to run more events down the road.

Christmas event?
    :D

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

As far as the winners/styles/judges--it's subjective. Since these devs don't run CCs often, we aren't familiar with what they were looking for.

I like that since it makes the results harder to predict.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    BTW I liked everyone became PvP enemy so suddenly. o3o
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    Does anyone have an image of the winner of the Classic Hero Category?
    xrazamax said:

Does anyone have an image of the winner of the Classic Hero Category?

There's a video in the announcement thread.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters