test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Breaking Stuns, Holds, and Paralyze. WHY?!

Why do I need to tap the button approximately 200 times to break these in under 5 seconds? I've tried all sorts of different patterns, but it seems the most effectively is to tap the button like I'm a methed up Flash. Why, why is this a thing and not something reasonable?

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Because it was made that way? Somewhat cryptic way.....
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Because originally they felt that having you struggle against a hold was more dynamic than having it just time out on its own. Would it be better if you could do nothing (except pop an active defense) to break free at all?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Enemies' BANISHED are worse​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    Struggling is one thing, but I feel like I'm trying to match an autofire function on a console controller when it comes to breaking free sometimes.

Struggling is one thing, but I feel like I'm trying to match an autofire function on a console controller when it comes to breaking free sometimes.

As far as I know, struggling has an activation time of 0.5s so spamming doesn't do anything.
    So then I just need to spam the key twice a second or something, for an optimal break?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User

So then I just need to spam the key twice a second or something, for an optimal break?

Or you could hold block early and completely nullify a large majority of sleeps, stuns and paralyzes in game.

The only ones which would be problematic if you did that would be:

Roots (these seem to apply oddly)

Very fast stuns

Disable effects (fortunately these are quite rare.

Most of the time, enemies break their own holds by damaging you, it's mostly a case of being more aware of what's happening in combat, but there's always times where you can be caught out and that can be irritating, but I've only personally experienced that in PvP and in instances where CC from bosses cannot be resisted.
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    Unfortunately, even blocking holds doesn't always stop them, they apply if you release block after the hit. It makes no sense at all. If you block it, shouldn't it be negated?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Unfortunately, even blocking holds doesn't always stop them, they apply if you release block after the hit. It makes no sense at all. If you block it, shouldn't it be negated?

If you get stunned after you release block it means you didn't block early enough. Gotta be faster.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1207442/block-timing-explained
    I've done all sorts of blocking. From blocking at the last second, to blocking when I see the animation, to blocking when I see the tell icon by their portrait, to predicting when a stun attack was coming and start blocking then. Most of the time when I let go, I still have whatever it was applied and I have to break free.

At Dino I typically block until she launches another attack after the stun just to make sure I won't die from being frozen, and sometimes I -still- have it applied anyways.

If it's all about timing then it's not really a good idea for it to be in a game notorious for latency issues. Especially when it literally comes down to the split second.
    spinnytop said:

If you get stunned after you release block it means you didn't block early enough. Gotta be faster.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1207442/block-timing-explained
    Spinny, I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There have been several occasions when I blocked at the first sign of charge then got held/stunned after releasing block even though I blocked until after the attack hit. If this page explains things correctly, I should not get mezzed.

Obviously, my timing won't be perfect on every attempt, but if I'm blocking for a full second or more before the attack hits, the hit and the stun/hold should be blocked. In the noted occasions, I block the damage successfully, then release (often during or after the next attack starts hitting me), and then get mezzed.

And for the record, the Steam page on blocking in Champions claims that the block takes effect "instantly". I'm not sure how the author defines "instantly", but I've gone into block stance fully, then taken unblocked damage anyway. Pantagruel01's Note 2 seems to explain why.
  • layenelayene Posts: 63 Arc User
    Spinnytop is right, if you're getting held, stunned, etc. then you're not blocking soon enough. As soon as the icon shows up next to the enemy portrait there are 2 checks, the first is for the hold and then for the damage (if there is any damage associated with the attack). If you block right away and hold block through both checks you should not get held and take less damage.

I highly suggest you hit F12 and take that "Target Tell" box and move it to the bottom center of the screen and make it nice and big. Good luck!​​
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    There are some effects in game which do not always obey block mechanics, like the knock resistance on block may be overridden by an NPC power, which first applies then you are fully damaged, despite blocking.

It does sound like you are not maintaining block long enough though...

PSI Agents are pretty big offenders there, so can VIPER PA’s. However, most of the time blocking works if you are attentive to incoming effects and defend accordingly and early enough.

Bluhman made a vid which is helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WViookszNg

Spinny, I'm not sure what you're talking about here. There have been several occasions when I blocked at the first sign of charge then got held/stunned after releasing block even though I blocked until after the attack hit. If this page explains things correctly, I should not get mezzed.

There are a small number of exceptions, but certainly none of them apply to the dino. If you're blocking at the start of charging and still getting held, you must have terrible latency.
    edited October 2017

Spinny, I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Well, click the link then. Either you're not as fast as you think you are, or you have terrible latency. You should hope for the first one, cause if it's the second one there's no hope. Also you can't really blame the state of the planet's internet on CO, they didn't make that.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Would it be better if you could do nothing (except pop an active defense) to break free at all?
    If the duration on players was scaled down to match roughly what they'd have for mashing F, then yes, it would be better to have nothing to do during that time short of blowing an active. Spamming FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF every time you get stunned or rooted is bad for fingers, bad for keyboards, and given the internal cooldown, yields little advantage to a hyperspeed button masher over someone doing it more casually.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited October 2017
    aesica said:

If the duration on players was scaled down to match roughly what they'd have for mashing F, then yes, it would be better to have nothing to do during that time short of blowing an active. Spamming FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF every time you get stunned or rooted is bad for fingers, bad for keyboards, and given the internal cooldown, yields little advantage to a hyperspeed button masher over someone doing it more casually.​​

Given how slowly you actually have to mash ( faster mashing is pointless and doesn't register ) it's not an issue. I hate excessive mashing since I'm at risk for arthiritis and I can feel excessive mashing making it worse, but mashing to get out of a hold doesn't cause that cause of the slow top end speed. It's also really easy to see that mashing super fast is pointless since you can see the numbers for breakfree damage don't come faster after a certain point.
    See the game never explained that as far as I recall. It doesn't even explain that it's POSSIBLE for you to be held, etc. It just happens and the message "Tap [whatever button] to Break Free!" I've also never seen and break free damage floaters either or whatever. If any of that was explained in-game, then this topic wouldn't exist.

I guess now it's just a matter of breaking myself of spamming the button to break free and finding an optimal pattern.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Seems like a poorly thought out idea. In use, it's just annoying. Many other games just make effects not last too long and players gain temp immunity.

I use Space Bar for my interact key. I'm sure my roommates love it when I drum my fingers to break free. Especially when I run through the Warzone.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Spamming Up-dpad for gemepads​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited October 2017

See the game never explained that as far as I recall. It doesn't even explain that it's POSSIBLE for you to be held, etc. It just happens and the message "Tap [whatever button] to Break Free!" I've also never seen and break free damage floaters either or whatever. If any of that was explained in-game, then this topic wouldn't exist.

I guess now it's just a matter of breaking myself of spamming the button to break free and finding an optimal pattern.

From what I remember damage floaters is the default setting for the UI when you first install the game, so you would have seen the numbers unless you disabled floaters. Add it to the list of things the game doesn't outright explain but that some people have managed to find out on their own o3o
    sterga said:

I use Space Bar for my interact key. I'm sure my roommates love it when I drum my fingers to break free. Especially when I run through the Warzone.​​

Well then maybe you should bind it to a less noisier key. Or just block those holds :p

Those other games probably don't have a block mechanic which allows you to completely negate those effects.

This reminds me I used to have my interact key macro'd to spam itself but for some reason at some point that got undone... I'm gonna put that back to that.
    spinnytop said:

Spinny, I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Well, click the link then. Either you're not as fast as you think you are, or you have terrible latency. You should hope for the first one, cause if it's the second one there's no hope. Also you can't really blame the state of the planet's internet on CO, they didn't make that.
    And it would seem, you're not as smart as you think you are.

I never claimed to be fast. I said that I block at the first sign of charging. I also said (and I cut and paste) "Obviously, my timing won't be perfect on every attempt", which means that I know that I won't always block fast enough. So what are you saying that I have to do? Predict the future so I can block effectively? What methods are available for that?

I never said anything about Cryptic or the game being responsible for any latency I might have. This statement was completely meaningless.

I mentioned the Steam page on blocking, which no one mentioned on this thread. The link to the Steam page is found on the page that you gave me, which means that I would have had to go to that page to know there was a Steam page on blocking in CO.

I don't know how to take this. First you do something helpful, then you act like a jerk.
    edited October 2017

I never claimed to be fast. I said that I block at the first sign of charging. I also said (and I cut and paste) "Obviously, my timing won't be perfect on every attempt", which means that I know that I won't always block fast enough. So what are you saying that I have to do? Predict the future so I can block effectively? What methods are available for that?

Actually there is content where predictive blocking is very strong. The method is generally to observe the mechanics and figure out times where blocking before something happens is a good practice to avoid something. The best example of this is in TA when tanking Gravitar. Her Force Geyser has no screen tell, and by the time you see the animation it's too late and you've already been hit. The thing to do here is to start blocking at the tail end of any non-force geyser attack she does with the assumption that a force geyser is coming. Done well it allows you to 100% block her force geyser.

When it comes to being dps at Dino if you're having trouble blocking and staying alive what you could do is just be extremely conservative at any point where a dps check isn't occuring. Only do what you have to do to keep your debuffs active and your form stacked, and otherwise block. Then when the dps check happens you'll be at full power. Momma doesn't attack and baby's aoes are ineffective during the dps check so you don't have to worry about blocking during the dps check. When it ends just go back to being conservative.

Now granted that won't help you get better at blocking the attacks and you'll have a lower score than you would if you attacked more, but it will lower the chances that you'll be running back after a death when a dps check occurs so it is a tactically sound strategy. Also you will get enough score to get rewards so you're not losing out in that respect. Ultimately what matters is that you're there and dpsing at full strength when the dps check occurs - nobody can complain that you're being conservative during the rest of the fight because by doing so you're making the fight more likely to succeed.

So yeah, both predictive blocking and highly defensive blocking strategies are things you can do.

I don't know how to take this. First you do something helpful, then you act like a jerk.

Not sure how I'm acting like a jerk when I'm just stating reality. Remember that I did put forth two possibilities: either you're not as fast as you think you are, or you have terrible latency. The latter is obviously not your fault, but you wouldn't be the first one to fall into the first category. I know because I've been there. There are actually some very challenging block checks in this game and I've had to "git gud" a few times since the new content came out. That's what you should be hoping for: that you're just doing it wrong/slowly, because you can solve that by just focusing and doing it better. I've seen many people go from thinking they were fast enough to being fast enough, so that's why I know this is a thing.

If it's latency there's nothing you can do so, you know, definitely hope that that's not your situation. And on that topic my comment about the latency not being CO's fault was actually directed at something omnilord said. I forgot to break it off into its own response apparently ^_^;

If it's all about timing then it's not really a good idea for it to be in a game notorious for latency issues. Especially when it literally comes down to the split second.

spinnytop said:

Sometimes your replies leave a lot to be desired. You may not intend it, but it can sound condescending.

This reply was good. Thanks for taking the time.
    edited October 2017

Sometimes your replies leave a lot to be desired. You may not intend it, but it can sound condescending.

It would help me work on it if people could give me specific examples of why that is u3u preferably in private messages. On my end I basically see people trying to characterize this stuff as unfair, and I remember just doing the things and getting better at them which seems perfectly fair to me. >.> is that condescending?
    After reading everything you guys said and considering the link Spinnytop gave me, I am afraid that I might actually have some latency. If I block at the very first sign of charge but still get held (and in general gameplay, too), then unfortunately I don't think my timing is the main problem.

I have found a way around this. If I see an attack that I recognize as a mez, I block it and then count to six. I'm never held if I do this, though this may not apply to cosmics or TA, which I don't have much experience with.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    It would help me work on it if people could give me specific examples of why that is u3u preferably in private messages. On my end I basically see people trying to characterize this stuff as unfair, and I remember just doing the things and getting better at them which seems perfectly fair to me. >.> is that condescending?
    He's right, you do come off as condescending oftentimes, and the main reason why our "discussions" often devolve into NO U shouting matches is because I utterly loathe condescending people. Honestly, I always thought you did it just because you enjoyed pushing people's buttons for the sake of trolling/stirring up conflict, but if you legitimately want to work on this aspect, I'd be happy to help point it out to you.
    sterga wrote: »
    Seems like a poorly thought out idea. In use, it's just annoying. Many other games just make effects not last too long and players gain temp immunity.

I use Space Bar for my interact key. I'm sure my roommates love it when I drum my fingers to break free. Especially when I run through the Warzone.
    Yup, and the annoyance is compounded by the fact that if you happen to be near something you can pick up, there's a chance you'll grab it if you're not careful. This of course means even more effective lockout time. That's just one more reason I'd love to see this game move away from the "F to break free" system it has now.

Also, bonus points if your keyboard is the kind with noisy clicky keys.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited October 2017
    There is actually some sort of thing you can type in... like /netgraph or /show_netgraph? That will show you your actual ping so you can know what your latency is.

Edit: /netgraph 1 appears to be the command. /netgraph 0 to shut it off
    edited October 2017
    spinnytop said:

There is actually some sort of thing you can type in... like /netgraph or /show_netgraph? That will show you your actual ping so you can know what your latency is.

Edit: /netgraph 1 appears to be the command. /netgraph 0 to shut it off

Yeah I saw that in pantagruel01's post. I'll try it at some point. Hopefully it's not TOO bad. (Hmm...it doesn't say the one to shut it off--that might be something I'll need too.) If it does turn out that latency isn't an issue, I'll know what I have to do. :bleep_bloop:

Any idea what constitutes a "bad" ping as opposed to a "good" one? Not sure I'm familiar with that.

EDIT
    Wow does this thing fly around like that all the time? I did it twice. The first time it was between 75 & 135, then I zoned and it was between 55 and 125.
    Post edited by eviltwintwo on
    aesica said:

​​

Spinny & I have talked in private. Seems it was mainly a difference in the way we are used to expressing things and things being expressed. At any rate, my idiotic temper didn't really help things. I'll be learning really quick to cool my jets. I'm a little old to be that immature.

One difference in speaking to someone as opposed to web posts is that you can't hear the other person's tone. I thought I was used to it, maybe I wasn't as used to it as I thought.

I also have a few pet peeves I need to put down.

This doesn't mean I'm totally good with the way blocking works in this game, although it could actually be worse--blocking could just flat not work at all. Charge powers, if I'm reading the descriptions correctly, have a charge time and an activation time. Pyre, for example, has a max charge time of 1.83 seconds and an activation of .67s. So if you're fighting another hero, just for sake of example, you'd have to be aware of when your opponent began and ended charging, the split second length of the activation, and the time it takes for the power to reach you (which seems to be negligible, so I won't worry about that). So if you start to block before the charge completes or the opponent releases the button, it should be blocked (as long as you beat any latency + the local/server time difference). However, it doesn't seem to work the exact same way in certain circumstances that some of you have mentioned. It seems some checks occur during the charge rather than the activation, despite the way Pantagruel's post described it. (Though I'm sure Pantagruel did the best job possible, of course; very informative post and thanks for your efforts.)

I don't particularly like "realistic" games, but I do like a certain level of realism in games. For example, I find the juggling mechanic in some fighting games to be absurd. I mean really, repeal the laws of physics much?! Gravity gets reversed by punching and kicking!?

Think about it this way. Suppose you had a plastic toy shield from Walmart, and your friend throws a foam ball at you. You raise the shield, and the ball bounces off, hits the ground and rolls away, so you lower the shield. Then the ball stops rolling away, flies back up into the air, comes straight at you, and bounces off your head. That's kind of how I see the check mechanics as described for certain content. Focusing the block check on the activation time would be more sensible (in my opinion!), though I have to begrudgingly admit that even if it were, it would also make sense for certain things to defeat blocks, even if the damage & effects were still reduced.

But, you have to play the game you're handed, and something like this probably won't be changed in the course of the game; there are too many other things on the list, apparently. CO still has a lot going for it, in my opinion, so I'm still going to play until it's not fun anymore or until shutdown, whichever comes first. And it is still fun.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    How did this go from a discussion of the poor break-free mechanic to the poor block mechanic? The problem is not not blocking, the problem is that apparently CO/PWE/ARC has a kickback program with keyboard manufacturers. Whether or not you can block a mezz is irrelevant to the fact that the break-free mechanic is crap designed to ruin your tendons and your keyboard. Something like just a hold-down mechanic would be better. This isn't a FPS game, it's an RPG.

Also, as was mentioned earlier, I have seen NOWHERE that mezz mechanics are explained. I had no idea it was only a half-second check. I'm definitely going to slow down my mashing. If nothing else, this game at least needs better documentation.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    I think of it more like this.

Say Squid Man attacks you with his tentacles and is trying to hold you with them. If you defend early enough then you've prepared well enough that his tentacles never really get a good hold, so when you let down your guard he just doesn't have a hold on you and you can kick him in the ink sack. If you defended too slowly but still managed to brace yourself, then now he has his tentacles around, but he has them around you as you're in a braced position meaning that when his Squiddy minions shoot ink at you you're not really gonna got hurt - however, the moment you relax that braced position his tentacles will tighten around you and you'll be had!

So in that way the block mechanics actually make sense. If you blocked too late, then you're essentially locked in a struggle with the hold and letting your guard down will let the hold get you. Some holds in the game actually let you know this is occurring because the stun effect appears in your debuffs so you can see that letting go of block will let it get you.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    To make Break Free worse, in game it says to 'press the [interact key]', which is vague. Press once? Press and hold? Press, release, repeat? Most of us end up tapping, which isn't the same thing. Word choice is important.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Some holds in the game actually let you know this is occurring because the stun effect appears in your debuffs so you can see that letting go of block will let it get you.

If you have any idea what any of those icons are....

Seriously, the ones my character gives themselves I might recognize. The rest of them I don't pay any attention to since I have no idea what they are. Usually by the time I can mouseover a debuff icon it's expired and thus I didn't have time to read it. That and they keep moving around.

Quite frankly the hold system in this game is the single most confusing aspect of it to me. Especially since it's utterly worthless for players to attempt to use it against enemies.

The only thing that annoys me nearly as much is how knocks disable you and the disable will often last longer than the knock effect...

That and I still have no idea what "press to break free" even means. Most of the time it has no observable effect whatsoever. Waiting for the stupidity to wear off without tapping or mashing or holding or whatever seems to be just as fast most of the time.

Block timing seems to be utterly random. You have stuff like Gravi's yellow bubble where you have hold block until the damage tick pops up or die. Then you have the CC attacks like those used by the Qularr where blocking it halfway through the charge up is a waste of time since it's already too late...

And the stupid clap attack used by the alien gladiators in Forum Malvanum where either you block as soon as they start charging it or blocking it at all is largely a waste of time. Seriously, the amount of time you have to waste blocking that attack to avoid getting held is absurd. Or is it one of those things where if you hit the invisible block checks you can skip blocking during the rest of the charge up?

Which brings me to the other part that's super frustrating.... tiny otherwise unnoticeable amounts of lag will utterly ruin block timing.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User

That and I still have no idea what "press to break free" even means. Most of the time it has no observable effect whatsoever. Waiting for the stupidity to wear off without tapping or mashing or holding or whatever seems to be just as fast most of the time.

It may be a settings thing, but when I press the break-free button, I can see white numbers float up from my toon's head, which are indicators of how much "damage" I am doing to the CC effect. Of course, I have no idea how much "HP" any of the CC effects have, so it isn't actually a particularly useful number to have. Also, in big fights, it is often hard to see the numbers, anyway.

I would recommend testing in the PH to see if you can see the effect. Set up the testing room with enemies that have mezz's, hard enemies, set for 1 or 2 players. That way you should have a fairly small number of enemies, but will also be sure get held. Then tap your break-free button and see if you see numbers float up.

As you mentioned, sometimes it is just faster to take the hold than it is to block long enough to stop it.

For Alerts and most of everything else, I just ignore blocking CC's. I only worry about for Cosmics, and of the three original Cosmics, only Dino really has any relevant block issues. To be honest, the only way I finally learned how to block for Dino is through experience. Oh, I read the guides and such, but that didn't actually do me much good. I just had to learn the hard way what each attack looks like and when to block it. Now, I rarely take an unblocked bubble, but it took a LOT of practice to not spend most of my time blocking. When I am tanking Dino, I will still sometimes take a bite attack, but I'm blaming that on lag because I know I'm pressing the block button in time.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.

If you have any idea what any of those icons are....

Seriously, the ones my character gives themselves I might recognize. The rest of them I don't pay any attention to since I have no idea what they are. Usually by the time I can mouseover a debuff icon it's expired and thus I didn't have time to read it. That and they keep moving around.

Well, generally if an NPC just did a stun effect, and you see a debuff icon appear, you can assume that's probably what that is, no need to mouse over. If you don't know which NPC attacks are the hold ones well... time to start learning which NPC attacks are which. I promise that it is very valuable information ^_^