test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Merge the DPS roles

vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
Merge the DPS roles. Also, merge the DPS roles. Then finish up by spinning a plate on a stick, balanced on your nose, while merging the DPS roles.

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Note that the DPS roles used to be merged, and were split because of a desire to have people build somewhat focused builds instead of do-anything builds. However, the fact that forms generally buff only one of the two means people would choose one or the other anyway.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    I agree, the dps roles should be merged.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Yeah, it's called Hybrid Role.

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    rtma said:

Yeah, it's called Hybrid Role.

Yeah... no it's not... hybrid role is the general all purpose role, it is NOT the same as a DPS role. Do you get the same damage bonus values as DPS role? No, you don't. Do you get the same threat modifier? No, you don't. Do you get the same penalties? No, you get none in hybrid.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    The split of damage roles was to give melee dps some additional buffs. Which were all removed when specs were added.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    @raighn You can use a Offensive Passive in Hybrid role without the Penalties of utilizing Range and Melee at the same time.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    No, I don't want to be penalized for using a ranged and melee mix as a DPS. Going Hybrid would be choosing to give myslef a larger DPS penalty. Not a great answer! Basically, I don't want have to choose to tie one of my hands behind my back.. and your suggestion is "tie both hands".
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I was disappointed when this didn't happen with that update a long time ago when everyone asked if ranged dps and melee dps could finally be merged into simply dps. Seems silly to distinguish the two damage roles when they are 90% identical. We don't have ranged and melee tank roles. There aren't ranged and melee supports.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    While I agree in principle, I wonder how much it would really help.

What passive/toggles would a "mystical swordsman" that uses sorcery and single blades take that would help DPS on both of those?

It just seems to me that most of those push a character towards one framework. Even the ones that help in multiple areas seem to help one thing a good bit more than others.

I am not a min/maxxer, though, nor do I spend a lot of time in the powerhouse trying out a hundred different builds.
    Maybe I am missing something, but it just seems that this sort of thing would really help very few builds in practice.
  • Options

While I agree in principle, I wonder how much it would really help.

What passive/toggles would a "mystical swordsman" that uses sorcery and single blades take that would help DPS on both of those?

It just seems to me that most of those push a character towards one framework. Even the ones that help in multiple areas seem to help one thing a good bit more than others.

I am not a min/maxxer, though, nor do I spend a lot of time in the powerhouse trying out a hundred different builds.
    Maybe I am missing something, but it just seems that this sort of thing would really help very few builds in practice.

They can always make new passives for new ideas.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited February 2017

But since they seem to be moving away from that sort of thing intentionally, why would they?
  • Options

But since they seem to be moving away from that sort of thing intentionally, why would they?
    Never to late to reverse actions. Plus, there are actually EUs and passives that work well cross-class, so to speak.
  • Options

Never to late to reverse actions. Plus, there are actually EUs and passives that work well cross-class, so to speak.
    Night Warrior boosts both melee and ranged equally and doesnt care about your damage type. Shadow Form both will boost both melee and ranged teleknisis powers equally along with Sorcery, Celestial, and Darkness. Electric Form will boost Laser Swords to the same degree that it boosts Electicity, Power Armor, and Sonic damage. Earth Form boosts both melee and range crushing damage equally.

MSA is often seen as a general all purpose EU. Supernatural Power triggers off ranged and melee supernatual abilities. Mephitic, Wild thing, Ego Reverb, Thermal Reverb, and Spirit Reverb all have both melee and ranged powers that trigger them. Many ranged only EUs can be reliably triggered with 1 in set power and continue to give energy while using melee powers. (Example: Ionic Reveb while using Spark Storm w/adv. Or Conjuration with just about any Sorcery Power.)

The are many passives and EUs that provide equal benefit to both Melee and Ranged. The only things we are missing is equal distribution from stats and an actual combined DPS role.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    raighn said:

Night Warrior boosts both melee and ranged equally and doesnt care about your damage type. Shadow Form both will boost both melee and ranged teleknisis powers equally along with Sorcery, Celestial, and Darkness. Electric Form will boost Laser Swords to the same degree that it boosts Electicity, Power Armor, and Sonic damage. Earth Form boosts both melee and range crushing damage equally.

MSA is often seen as a general all purpose EU. Supernatural Power triggers off ranged and melee supernatual abilities. Mephitic, Wild thing, Ego Reverb, Thermal Reverb, and Spirit Reverb all have both melee and ranged powers that trigger them. Many ranged only EUs can be reliably triggered with 1 in set power and continue to give energy while using melee powers. (Example: Ionic Reveb while using Spark Storm w/adv. Or Conjuration with just about any Sorcery Power.)

The are many passives and EUs that provide equal benefit to both Melee and Ranged. The only things we are missing is equal distribution from stats and an actual combined DPS role.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Well... toggles are also a bit of a stumbling block. We only have "aspect of the machine" and it has some pretty severe drawbacks. But, merging roles would be a step towards making melee/ranged dps builds feel a bit less punished.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    vonqball said:

Well... toggles are also a bit of a stumbling block. We only have "aspect of the machine" and it has some pretty severe drawbacks. But, merging roles would be a step towards making melee/ranged dps builds feel a bit less punished.

Aspect of the Machine is not the only one that affects both melee and ranged equally.

Manipulator and Compassion both boost all damage. Mental Discipline boosts all ego damage. IDF boosts no damage...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    raighn wrote: »
    Aspect of the Machine is not the only one that affects both melee and ranged equally.

Manipulator and Compassion both boost all damage. Mental Discipline boosts all ego damage. IDF boosts no damage...
    Compassion may boost ranged and melee equally, but both of them receive what's equal to the "low" bonus of the more focused forms. (The "melee" portion of concentration, for example) I haven't played much with manipulator, but I suspect it's the same story.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1
    I'd be happy if even just the Telekinesis and Earth frameworks allowed for a good melee/ranged mix.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Hell, I'd just be happy if Telekinesis felt like, well, telekinesis. Wielding pink swords and impaling foes with pink sticks isn't really the first thing that comes to mind when I think of telekinetic powers. Force is way more in line with the theme of moving objects with your mind, I'd say.

And here I am, going way off topic. :3​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    aesica said:

Hell, I'd just be happy if Telekinesis felt like, well, telekinesis. Wielding pink swords and impaling foes with pink sticks isn't really the first thing that comes to mind when I think of telekinetic powers. Force is way more in line with the theme of moving objects with your mind, I'd say.

Which is exactly why my Telekinetic uses a combination of Earth & Force powers rather than the sham that is called Telekinesis... That power set is NOT telekinesis, it is Psychic Constructs... Telekinetics DO NOT create objects out of mental energy, they MOVE objects with mental energy...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    aesica said:

I used to think this way as well, then people around here pointed out the sheer number of times that mentalist powers have been represented by pink stuff in comic books. It's quite appropriate for the genre it turns out.
    raighn said:

Telekinetics DO NOT create objects out of mental energy, they MOVE objects with mental energy...

In comic books they do.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

aesica said:

I used to think this way as well, then people around here pointed out the sheer number of times that mentalist powers have been represented by pink stuff in comic books. It's quite appropriate for the genre it turns out.
    raighn said:

Telekinetics DO NOT create objects out of mental energy, they MOVE objects with mental energy...

In comic books they do.
    You'd think people would remember that Champions is based off of Comic Book Superheroes, and not real life.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Psychic Constructs are part of Telepathy powers
    I fail to see the logic that it shouldn't be​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1

Don't you think this would make the game a little too easy?

Ranged characters are already effective at any distance. How would a melee/ranged character have things any easier?
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User

You'd think people would remember that Champions is based off of Comic Book Superheroes, and not real life.

Heh, well in real life, telekinetics doesn't do anything at all, because it doesn't exist. :p

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options

Heh, well in real life, telekinetics doesn't do anything at all, because it doesn't exist. :p

True enough.