test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Champions Online racist?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
According to this infographic it may or may not be.

That last one has me worried.

Comments

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Kinda towards Germans. It does pull off the big bad is a German trope :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    "German" isn't an ethnicity, it's a nationality. And didn't Zerstoiten start his career waay back in the '40s sometime, when the Germans were big bads?

OTOH, CO can be a little racist - if you never change the default skin tone. However, Hypernova, Liberty Belle, Encantador, and Gunrunner might dispute the charge...​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    Remember, violence towards a member of another race is not necessarily racist. Violence towards a member of another race because of his race is.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    jonsills said:

"German" isn't an ethnicity, it's a nationality. And didn't Zerstoiten start his career waay back in the '40s sometime, when the Germans were big bads?

OTOH, CO can be a little racist - if you never change the default skin tone. However, Hypernova, Liberty Belle, Encantador, and Gunrunner might dispute the charge...​​

Thats my point.

As this has to rank up there with Foxi's most dumbest of posts. With mah old pal Fox its either super smart posts or dumb as f***. This is one of those dumb moments.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1
    edited December 2016
    Okay, so, we're posting Penny Arcade strips and giving them nonsensical titles? Well, I guess I can get onboard with that.

Who Are You and What Have You Done with Champions Online?

photo Broodax_zpslsieirjk.jpg
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    ashensnow said:

Remember, violence towards a member of another race is not necessarily racist. Violence towards a member of another race because of his race is.

I protest...me and my cat are dedicated to the death and extermination of all spiders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzFJYlWJIVE

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    ashensnow said:

Yeah shooting someone for being a Nasi is fine, but shooting them for being German is not.

Ok seriously, this stupid spam block is incredibly irritating.....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    The character creator's pretty racist, as well as horribly sexist. :D
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Just skimming through the AT defaults, when you dismiss the blue/mutant/horror/animal/robot people, every "human" is lily white.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    The should bring the Sky Race back. I want to zoom thru hoops.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    aesica wrote: »
    Just skimming through the AT defaults, when you dismiss the blue/mutant/horror/animal/robot people, every "human" is lily white.
    And has a blue-and-yellow costume. Defaults are designed to be changed.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    aesica said:

Wow... you can just never have enough diversity to satisfy some people, lol
  • Options
    aesica said:

• Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited December 2016

Well, this is the game for lazy and dated racism. C'mon, they've got Hi Pan - even Fu Manchu thinks he's a bit passe - but no Evil Brits. Time to update things. Throw a dart in Hackney and you'll someone who can do a passable Idris Elba, so get them in to do a gravelly voiced geezer villain for your next event. Diversity box ticked!!
  • Options
    pfft... we also have Warlord, cybermind, red Dawn, and a bunch of others...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I vote for deletion of the 'Default ' costume button. It should be replaced by the 'Random everything' costume button.
    There would be no default sliders, only random, so you would have to go thru manually every slider to get what you want.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    To be honest CO isnt and this was a Foxi joke thread posting funny cartoon he seen on internets which is kind of relevant as Res 5 remastered disc version has not long been out on PS4/Xbone.

What I find racist is this term "Lilly white". My mother was white and I find this term offensive Without getting #TRIGGERED. Champions Online has heroes and villains of every race color and creed and is one of the most diverse mmos out there. Also when will folks shut up about what shade of color a person is. A human is a human.

Foxi if your reading this I get what you were doing but think before you post.
  • Options
    nepht said:

What I find racist is this term "Lilly white"

What I find racist (or just plain silly) is the fact that people actually took my light-hearted post seriously. Come on, you can't say "lily white" when referring to race while keeping a straight face, can you? It sounds utterly ridiculous.

Also, in fairness, The Squall is...semi-brown.
    nepht said:

Foxi if your reading this I get what you were doing but think before you post.

LOL that'll be the day.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    aesica said:

nepht said:

What I find racist is this term "Lilly white"

What I find racist (or just plain silly) is the fact that people actually took my light-hearted post seriously. Come on, you can't say "lily white" when referring to race while keeping a straight face, can you? It sounds utterly ridiculous.
    Well taken in that context my bad then. Sorry.

See this thread was dumb. With the context of it we cant be sure whos serious or not.

• Options
    ^ Yeah, part of the meaning gets lost in text-only mediums such as this. That plus my love of very subtle humor is often a recipe for disaster. :D
  • Options
    baronleo#9423 baronleo Posts: 37 Arc User
    Hi Pan being unable to pronounce "Millennium" makes me uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I once read a book called Farnham's Freehold, which has been described as “an anti-racism novel only a klansman could love.” The plot revolves around a cold-war-era white family being transported to the distant future, where they discover that black people are in charge. They then need to travel back to their own time to make sure this terrible fate never befalls the world. My racism-meter has been out of whack ever since.
  • Options
    You have to respect Foxi. Foxi is the super villain CO deserves.

*Foxi walks into forum drops WTF grenades turns round slowly walks out of forum while it slowly explodes. Does all this while wearing a Salior Moon Cosplay*
  • Options
    nepht said:

*Foxi walks into forum drops WTF grenades turns round slowly walks out of forum while it slowly explodes. Does all this while wearing a Salior Moon Cosplay*

From what I've seen, it hardly ever walks away. Rather, it always seems to want to have the last word on everything. Maybe it should start cosplaying as Lawrence O'Donnell instead of Sailor Moon. :)
  • Options
    aesica said:

nepht said:

From what I've seen, it hardly ever walks away. Rather, it always seems to want to have the last word on everything. Maybe it should start cosplaying as Lawrence O'Donnell instead of Sailor Moon. :)
    OI don't talk about my sidekick like that your not qualified.

• Options
    nepht said:

aesica said:

nepht said:

OI don't talk about my sidekick like that your not qualified.

No need to fear, ive come to bring balance and light! =^.^=

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

You actually think you can defeat the combined random forces of Nupht and Anime Man Girl?

You can try but don't blame me if you walk away thinking your bigfoot. Welcome to crazy town population UR FACE!

• Options
    nepht said:

You actually think you can defeat the combined random forces of Nupht and Anime Man Girl?

You can try but don't blame me if you walk away thinking your bigfoot. Welcome to crazy town population UR FACE!

"Nepht! You mad cat...what have you done?!"

Narrator: "Is this it for our hero? Will he be able to reach the anti-catnip from his mewtility belt in time? Stay tuned, same cat time, same cat channel!!"

• Options
    "Wot's wrong wif bein' racey?"

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Or are you? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Okay, here's a question for you, and it's at least half-serious, because it's one of two ideas I've been toying with recently:

If I were to make an electricity-wielding speedster in a Flash-ripoff costume, except white and gold instead of red and gold, and called him "White Lightning", would that be seen as racist? How about if the character himself were black?​​

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Well, "white lightning" is also a slang term for moonshine. So, not necessarily racist, but probably alcoholic. ;)

OTOH if a character using that name was black, somebody would certainly accuse him of something. The juxtaposition is just too obvious.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I have always found using the color white and black racist to describe someone. So if a hero is called Black ______ then I hope he has something black on and his skin isn't an excuse.

Unless he is like black, like the color...then who am I judge?

But then again... if I was a Smurf SuperHero, being called Super Blue wouldn't feel racist.

I think we need to discuss this with the Smurf village and clear this up.
  • Options
    I asked my husband if CO was racist and my husband answered "shut the f*** up woman!"
  • Options
    Well, DC has Black Canary as a major superhero. There's also been a White Canary and Jade Canary. The names don't have much to do with the color of their skin though....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    At least White Lightning is better than the other idea I had, which was to have a speedster wearing as little as the game allows and calling him the Flesh. ("My name is Barenaked Allen, and I am the fastest streaker alive!")​​

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Nah, man, he'd have to be called "the Streak."

Which was actually the code name for two official Champions heroes. The first during the Forties and Fifties, the second in the Sixties and Seventies. But that was before "streaking" became part of the popular lexicon.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Its a Foxi off topic thread the only real reply can be ponies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uxv9nxRhY4

• Options
    spinnytop said:

I'm here to get the last word on everything! \owo/

Is it "pie"? I like it when the last word is "pie". :D

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nepht said:

Its a Foxi off topic thread the only real reply can be ponies.

Is it bad that this is the first thing that came to mind? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6023crXgIQ
  • Options
    bulgarex said:

Well, "white lightning" is also a slang term for moonshine. So, not necessarily racist, but probably alcoholic. ;)

...this makes me wish we had "Wobble Speed", a Super Speed that makes your character veer back and forth while moving.
  • Options
    "Stumble Speed"

Look, Ma, I can fall UP the stairs! :p
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    Like just ragdoll the character along at high speed xD
  • Options
    bulgarex said:

the Streak

Similar to this, I once had a character who wore nothing but blue tape named the Blue Streaker. At least, I think that's what I called her. It was definitely some attempt to play on “streaking” and “cursing a blue streak.” That character was in DC Universe Online though, not this game.
    jonsills said:

the Flesh

photo Flesh_Gordon_1974_zpsdflhp6rc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    More importantly I just learned that David Banner was the bad guy of the 2003 Hulk movie.

It took me nearly 14 years to notice that. I am a bit slow on the uptake.
  • Options
    maatmons said:

bulgarex said:

the Streak

Similar to this, I once had a character who wore nothing but blue tape named the Blue Streaker. At least, I think that's what I called her. It was definitely some attempt to play on “streaking” and “cursing a blue streak.” That character was in DC Universe Online though, not this game.
    Oh? not this one then?
    maatmons said:

Sorry guys, I know you're all excited to see a hairy, out-of-shape man dressed like this …

… but I just don't have time to make the costume.

ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

• Options

Oh? not this one then?

No, Blue Streaker had an outfit that showed off a lot more skin. That picture is… her name had something to do with death. Petite Mort? No, that wasn't it. But it should have been.