test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a way to measure CO's current population?

Answers

• Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

I looked out my front window this morning at 5am and saw nobody in the street. Has the rapture come to London and I was the only one that was left behind?

You guys do realize there are different time zones right?
    Tell that to nextnametaken. The rest of us realise it.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User

Oh wow...I'm a bit shocked at the amount of responses to this thread...

But what I've managed to understand is that:

1) No one has a definitive or official way of determining CO's population aside from good estimates.

2) CO's population is likely in a spot which allows it to continue to run/pay for itself.

3) Cat gifs are universally applicable to threads of any kind :tongue:

Thanks all!

"I think you've got it. By George, I think you've got it!" :)

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

spinnytop said:

I looked out my front window this morning at 5am and saw nobody in the street. Has the rapture come to London and I was the only one that was left behind?

Yes, as you can see by this picture I took we can see that the only living creatures left are gangs of adorable puppies. Well and obviously the two of us... global human population confirmed for 2.
    One. I have no proof you are actually human.
    Hmm... short horns, or a weird hat, glowing red eyes, white wings... Yeah, probably a Nephilim. Thus one human, one nephilim, and one demon thing.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    6:50PM server time

90 Level 1-11 players
    96 Level 12-22 players
    92 Level 23-37 players
    10 Level 38-39 players
    >100 Level 40 players

Only zone 1 of 6 won anything at the 7PM Mega Destroid
    Zone #2 saw some desperate attempt to win, with only one Mega-D even scratched in 16 minutes.

And of course I logged out before grabbing the chat log of other player's desperate pleas trying to get some help but either
    not having enough players or having too strict of a player zone limit to allow the players that wanted to participate to be able to.

Earlier today got stuck for twelve minutes in a 'dead zone' trying to get back to zone #1 at 9AM, finally got in at the last 6 minutes of fight, again zone #1 was the only one that saw any Mega D win.

• Options
    Oh please, the player cap isn't the problem, it's that people aren't trying. seriously, when you have an average of 40 people each in 6 zones but only zone#1 can muster a force to fight? lol no. Zone 1 doesn't even have 50 people fighting in it. more like 20-30.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

spinnytop said:

Yes, as you can see by this picture I took we can see that the only living creatures left are gangs of adorable puppies.

Well and obviously the two of us... global human population confirmed for 2.
    One. I have no proof you are actually human.

He aint human he is Canadian. I mean that in a good way they are a race of cyborg Jedi. I once seen some sort of third wave hippie protestor try and scream into a Mounty's face. He looked at her showed her the hand and went NOPE! She ran off >_>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Hmm... short horns, or a weird hat

Those are cat ears!

UGH this game's cat ears are terrible >:C
  • Options
    oh... ok. I guess it's the angle. The open part is to the side.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

sigh.... it's... the open side is actually facing....... straight forward....
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    oops
    Post edited by nextnametaken on
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Enh, you still look like a Nephilim to me. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited September 2016

spinnytop said:

Well that's fine... but I'm supposed to look like whatever with cute cat ears not dumb little strawberry flavored Toblerones... ;-;
  • Options

spinnytop said:

THANK YOU /o/

Ive been saying Foxi looks more like an angel than a cat for years.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options

People who care about NextNameTaken's population figures fetish, besides NextNameTaken: 1

Fixed that for you. Nepht seems to care... but not for the reasons nextname wants.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

People who care about NextNameTaken's population figures fetish, besides NextNameTaken: 1

Fixed that for you. Nepht seems to care... but not for the reasons nextname wants.
    I like many things for the wrong right reasons.

• Options
    nepht said:

I like many things for the wrong right reasons.

I think this sums it up.
  • Options
    Is Nepht the human or the cat?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Is Nepht the human or the cat?

Neither I am the dog under the desk taking a piss on the guy's PC power supply.

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    I am always amused by these threads. I think next has been proclaiming CO will be dead soon for the past... 5 or 6 years now. One day he might be right even. But I don't see why it's a concern. As far as the event goes, well not everyone wants to participate in it at every hour on the hour. Some like to do other things. I find it amusing that some people believe everyone on the server is going to drop what they are doing to participate in said event.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Saturday September 17
    7.55PM
    303 players level 1 to 39 more than 100 level 40s
    29 players participating in megadestroid.

8:53PM
    279 players level 1 to 39 ,99 level 40s
    67 players participating in megadestroid

9:55PM
    180 players level 1 to 39, 99 level 40s
    27 players participating in megadestroid

Sunday September 18
    5:18 AM
    178 players level 1 to 39, 73 level 40s
    No players participating in megadestroid

6:52 AM
    191 players level 1 to 39, > 100 level 40s
    No players participating in megadestroid

7:56 AM
    233 players level 1 to 39, > 100 level 40s
    39 participating in megadestroid

9:00AM
    261 players level 1 to 39, > 100 level 40s
    36 participating in megadestroid

8:18PM
    286 players level 1 to 39, 99 level 40s
    36 participating in megadestroid

Monday September 20, 2015
    10AM
    200 players level 1 to 39, > 100 level 40s
    Zero particpation in megadestroid

• Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Next really doesn't get it, does he?

The numbers for population are meaningless for all the reasons said before in this thread. Also, for all he knows the numbers he claims at different times could be different groups of people altogether.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Monday the 20th? what year is that data sample from? O_O'
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

I am always amused by these threads. I think next has been proclaiming CO will be dead soon for the past... 5 or 6 years now. One day he might be right even. But I don't see why it's a concern. As far as the event goes, well not everyone wants to participate in it at every hour on the hour. Some like to do other things. I find it amusing that some people believe everyone on the server is going to drop what they are doing to participate in said event.

I would love to see the results of having HALF of the population of MC participate. At present it's more like 10%.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

As far as the event goes, well not everyone wants to participate in it at every hour on the hour. Some like to do other things. I find it amusing that some people believe everyone on the server is going to drop what they are doing to participate in said event.

Actually, the participating players for the event this year is markedly lower than in other years. Some people say it's the rewards, others say it's other stuff, but one thing is clear: less people are interested in this event this year than in previous years. I'm hoping things get fixed soon.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Actually, the participating players for the event this year is markedly lower than in other years. Some people say it's the rewards, others say it's other stuff, but one thing is clear: less people are interested in this event this year than in previous years. I'm hoping things get fixed soon.
    I suspect it has to do with the reputation the event picked up last year, when even with a zone cap of 100 it was rare for more than one zone (almost always MC 1) to complete it. It's not so ludicrous this time, but the fact needs to be better advertised in Zone, I think.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    jonsills said:

I suspect it has to do with the reputation the event picked up last year, when even with a zone cap of 100 it was rare for more than one zone (almost always MC 1) to complete it. It's not so ludicrous this time, but the fact needs to be better advertised in Zone, I think.​​

Or there is actually little to actually differentiate itself and very few new rewards that people have not already gotten from previous years. As much as people claim they play games for the fun of it, most still want to have some substantial reward for doing it. It's kind of like the monthly events in WoW. Compared to the first time they appeared there is a remarkably lower participation each year following due to the fact there is little new stuff to get, and most people get what they want fairly early on. This event's been going on for 3 weeks already now, as well, about to go on four soon. Most people were fairly done by the end of the first week. Special events like these are not good to keep going on such extended periods, IMO.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User

As far as the event goes, well not everyone wants to participate in it at every hour on the hour. Some like to do other things. I find it amusing that some people believe everyone on the server is going to drop what they are doing to participate in said event.

Another reason could be people being bored with events that haven't changed much, and aren't very rewarding when they get one shot. Turning the event into another 500 token grind might have something to do with it as well. We've been getting token grind after token grind for a while now. So some might also just be burnt out.
  • Options
    Ive done the destroids mission twice. I just think it's kinda boring so I don't do it much. That one daily where you beat up the destroid groups is much better for farming favor, so that's what I do.
  • Options
    draogn said:

Another reason could be people being bored with events that haven't changed much, and aren't very rewarding when they get one shot. Turning the event into another 500 token grind might have something to do with it as well. We've been getting token grind after token grind for a while now. So some might also just be burnt out.
    You'd literally have to afk and stand there doing nothing to get one shotted by the Mega D's.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I have to say I am beginning to roll my eyes at each new event with new event currency. It is getting boring when an event lasts so long, too.
    I participated fighting Mega Ds a couple times, and . . . meh. Just isn't very exciting, and the chance of a rare drop is so rare.

I still play just as much, but I would rather farm alerts than spend time on Mega Ds.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User

Next really doesn't get it, does he?

Sure he does. He's just reduced it to his form of trolling. Frankly, I hadn't seen him even bring it up for months and months until it was brought up here.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options

I have to say I am beginning to roll my eyes at each new event with new event currency.

roley poley roughbear eyes
  • Options
    Monday September 19, 2017
    12PM 321 players level 1-40, 28 players at megadestroid.

1:14PM 327 players level 1-40, 18 players at megadestroid, it was a loss.

2PM 237 players level 1-39, >100 level 40s, 24 players at megadestroid

3:18PM 257 players level 1-39, > 100 level 40s, 36 players at megadestroid

3:55PM 380 players level 1-40, 38 players at megadestroid.

5:57PM 363 players level 1-40, 31 players in zone #1 megadestroid, one poor bastard in zone 3 for 20 minutes.

7:00PM 385 players level 1-40, 32 players at megadestroid.

• Options
    draogn said:

Actually, if you're grinding tokens the Mega-D fight isn't particularly lucrative compared to the daily mission.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Tuesday September 20, 2016

9AM
    92 players level 1-18
    97 players level 19-39
    >100 level 40s
    2 players at megadestroid

10 minutes later there were 5 at megadestroid, no destroid was down, so nobody there knows that they already lost.
    5 minutes to go, one destroid down.

"Poor bastard" from last night contacted me to help with Mega-D but the fight was already lost at 5 mega-D's versus a 2 and half minute clock. He really wants to play that content. Maybe at 10.

I was in a Gravitar que for five minutes and logged out.

As for speculation on why x thing has low participation, we could go on speculating for days about every little mission.
    Feedback directly from the completed Megadestroid events has been unanimously:"The rewards suck."
    Post edited by nextnametaken on
  • Options
    Not 5 minutes. Oh the horror you poor man you actually had to log in for longer than 5 minutes to make up more BS about the state fo the game you have no clear understanding of.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User

Too many events. They're on all the time. Surely the idea is to leave things a bit so that normal play gets stale and then BOOM! it's an event! And we can all get excited about something new to do, even if it is something we did last year (better than something we did last week!).

There's also that air-out-of-the-balloon thing that happens when the cost of pretty much everything goes up, stuff gets equalised/nerfed, the events get made all grindy and limited (bind on pickup, bind to character), even the cost of respawning.... a general lack of enthusiasm about the place.

You'd literally have to afk and stand there doing nothing to get one shotted by the Mega D's.

Easy enough, actually. They have one of those "miss the first one and you'll be hit for 3 stacks of 1500 damage" attacks. That and the fact that the wireframe indicators don't quite match up with the AoE. Their Eyebeams have BurnThrough, too, which will shred anyone who attracts their aggro and doesn't have decent defences.

(Full disclosure: it was just me and my finest lead crystal glass cannon and the Champions vs the Mega Ds and I was trying to see how much damage these things do....)

• Options
    I LIKE the events. It's something to do.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    I used to, as well. But not any more, really. Last night was the perfect example. Six MC zones and no-one bothering apart from the Cosmics crowd, zooming from zone to zone, seeing whether they could down all the MDs with five minutes or less on the timer. And I thought - I don't know how you do that. Doubt I ever will. So why bother?

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User

Easy enough, actually. They have one of those "miss the first one and you'll be hit for 3 stacks of 1500 damage" attacks. That and the fact that the wireframe indicators don't quite match up with the AoE.
    The yellow one that freezes you in place, which is often swiftly followed by both Destroids popping the blue AoE - and it's one of those that targets you if you're in the area when the indicator goes off, no matter what else you do at that point, and hits you no matter how fast you leave (which is why Chaingang fell on someone in RenCen last night, when his Wasp exploded above Defender).​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    MASSIVE DPS! Oh here, why use words....

I'm not that powerful a DPSer. But I still got over 900k on that run. Several people got over 2M! this run was about 15m. Imagine a run with 20 people who get scores over 2M.

This event is a lot more fun when you have more people participate.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    In the Mega-D fight that ended a few minutes ago Jerlock got over 4M score.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

It is. But we always have the CO open world problem; success is dependent on certain people turning up, and those people are increasingly occupied elsewhere.
  • Options
    The yellow one that freezes you in place, which is often swiftly followed by both Destroids popping the blue AoE - and it's one of those that targets you if you're in the area when the indicator goes off, no matter what else you do at that point, and hits you no matter how fast you leave (which is why Chaingang fell on someone in RenCen last night, when his Wasp exploded above Defender).​​

I will never get my head around that. I really need the ability to slow-mo the last ten seconds of the game, get out the magnifying glass to look at all the icons on the UI, and have the combat log to hand, and try and figure out what's going on.... :)
  • Options

It is. But we always have the CO open world problem; success is dependent on certain people turning up, and those people are increasingly occupied elsewhere.

Many of us have expected at least a few people to have stepped up to the plate by now. Not all of us can hold the hands of every player in the game forever, and sink or swim if people are unwilling to step up and be community leaders as well, it just isn't going to fly when those of us want to have "me time" for us and do the things we want to do. I know I certainly don't want to break every hour on the hour to do the Destroid event. I will join in on it occasionally and help out, but I like to do other things or play other games as well, and I certainly can't be in 6 different instances at the same time in either case.

I will never get my head around that. I really need the ability to slow-mo the last ten seconds of the game, get out the magnifying glass to look at all the icons on the UI, and have the combat log to hand, and try and figure out what's going on.... :)

It's easier to just zoom out then you can see when the tell happens better. It has about a good 4 or 5 second wind up to so you have plenty of time to see the yellow wire frame. Secondly, the Destroid do a particular animation before they get ready to use the hand clap, they hold their hands to their sides, similar to the enrage animation while electricity plays on their hands. That's also a warning. Most alpha strike class attacks have an accompanying animation and tell that makes it fairly easy to identify.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    "There's nothing to do, this sucks."
    "There's too much to do, this sucks."

• Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    I'd prefer less events. I think the term "event fatigue" is appropriate.
    Now of course the problem is there isn't enough new content things added at a time that they can afford to not run events.

So /shrug.
This discussion has been closed.