test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So I really want to like laser sword...

aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
...But there just doesn't seem to be any way to feed this ridiculously hungry power without relying on the following cheap tricks:

1) Standing in a circle (goodbye mobility)

2) Clinging flames + thermal reverb on several targets (obviously not viable vs a single target encounter)

3) Getting hit with defiance/force sheath/etc (obviously not viable if you're not taking damage)

So, provided there even is one, what's the "proper" way to use laser sword that doesn't involve swapping over to the energy builder all the time?
(Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).

Comments

• thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    here's a mock-up of a Laser Sword build that should meet those requirements...gear/mod for Cost Discount and Crit and using your lunge and other cool down powers as they come off of cool down should minimize the use of your Energy Builder...You can swap STR for DEX just remember to take the Cost Discount for Critting when you do...

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Mechanized
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning
    Level 9: Body and Mind
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Coordinated
    Level 18: Martial Focus
    Level 21: Acrobat

Powers:
    Level 1: Laser Edge
    Level 1: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Lightspeed Dash
    Level 8: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Particle Smash (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Form of the Tempest
    Level 17: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Laser Knight)
    Level 20: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity)
    Level 23: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 26: Resurgence
    Level 29: Dragon's Bite (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Plasma Cutter (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Overpower (3/3)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (3/3)
    Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
    Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
    Arbiter: Preservation (2/2)
    Arbiter: Enhanced Gear (1/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Thanks for taking the time to throw that together. ^^

That's unfortunate though, as I was hoping there wouldn't be so many out-of-set powers involved (dragon's bite, tempest) in keeping it afloat. I guess I'll just have to wait until (and if) the devs decide to review the whole laser sword kit. Until then, I'm probably better off using martial arts + single blade. Or ego blades.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    Dragon's Bite and Tempest are able to be swapped out (its similar to a build I was working on before the PTS was reset) and it had plenty of Energy Management without them...I put Tempest and Bite in there for a little extra I was working with Merc and Vigilante gear at the time too...the key thing with the build is to focus on Cost Discount...at one point I had reduced the cost of R2 + Advantage Laser Sword to under its R1 cost...but that took a lot of work and AoAC
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Rush + FotT is good as an alternative that def makes energy much more manageable for LS and doesn't take getting hit, using Dark Transfusion, or standing in a circle. I'd prob take Dex/Con/Int and Power Swell in Dex PSS to help w/ Laser Sword.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    I made a dodge tank that ended up using laser sword, because she just has that much energy to spare and nothing else to spend it on. A non-tank version of her build would be quite scary...

The full build, along with relevant discussion, can be found here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1203462/a-flight-of-mostly-dragons
  • beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Since laser sword discussion is still in the mix, could the below hodge-podge be a viable dodge tank that puts off constant weak heals for the group... making some assumptions that Honor in the Arbiter tree would interact with Arbiter Master, Adrenaline Rush, and Gifts of the Storm w/ Resurgent Reiki? Also, does Overdrive proc from Sparkstorm when you have the Electric Personality advantage? If not, have to remove those two...

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Master
    Level 6: Enduring
    Level 9: Mighty
    Level 12: Agile
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Acrobat
    Level 21: Martial Focus

Powers:
    Level 1: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Lightspeed Dash
    Level 8: Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
    Level 11: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Form of the Tempest (Gifts of the Storm)
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 20: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity)
    Level 23: Dragon Kick (Lashing Dragon Tail)
    Level 26: Plasma Cutter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Particle Smash (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Sparkstorm (Electric Personality, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 38: Molecular Self-Assembly

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Electric Arc
    Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Reactive Strikes (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (3/3)
    Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
    Arbiter: Honor (2/2)
    Arbiter: Concussion (1/3)
    Arbiter: Preservation (2/2)
    Mastery: Arbiter Mastery (1/1)

Edit: Revised build to remove Overdrive and Dragon's Wrath.
    Post edited by beerbane on
    beerbane said:

Also, does Overdrive proc from Sparkstorm when you have the Electric Personality advantage? If not, have to remove those two...

Nope. :(

I have a list somewhere, but Sparkstorm is among the handful of maintains that don't trigger Overdrive--with or without the Electric Personality advantage.

Seriously though, it'd be nice if the devs could address the Laser Sword subset of Power Armor. It really should be able to work with the set's featured EU - Ovedrive. Either Overdrive could be expanded to include combos, or the Laser Sword subset could be changed into maintains, or...something along those lines. They could even take a page out of the heavy weapons playbook and make laser sword hits apply/interact with negative ions. See where I'm going with this? ^^
  • beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User
    aesica said:

beerbane said:

Also, does Overdrive proc from Sparkstorm when you have the Electric Personality advantage? If not, have to remove those two...

Nope. :(

I have a list somewhere, but Sparkstorm is among the handful of maintains that don't trigger Overdrive--with or without the Electric Personality advantage.

Seriously though, it'd be nice if the devs could address the Laser Sword subset of Power Armor. It really should be able to work with the set's featured EU - Ovedrive. Either Overdrive could be expanded to include combos, or the Laser Sword subset could be changed into maintains, or...something along those lines. They could even take a page out of the heavy weapons playbook and make laser sword hits apply/interact with negative ions. See where I'm going with this? ^^
    Ah bummer! I'm with you on any improvement to the subset though. I like your Overdrive suggestions above. As an alternative suggestion, it would be pretty awesome if Overdrive generated energy during a maintain OR generated energy from nearby enemies affected with Plasma Burn -- that would let it work for Laser Sword, no? Alternatively, create a new Buff Form that triggers from application of Plasma Burn (a la Aspect of Infernal/Bestial). Heck, convert Aspect of the Machine to this functionality so people actually take it. ;)
    Gifts of the Storm isn't very good either- pretty weak proc only every 8 sec, and its 3 adv points to boot.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    beerbane said:

Ah bummer! I'm with you on any improvement to the subset though. I like your Overdrive suggestions above. As an alternative suggestion, it would be pretty awesome if Overdrive generated energy during a maintain OR generated energy from nearby enemies affected with Plasma Burn -- that would let it work for Laser Sword, no? Alternatively, create a new Buff Form that triggers from application of Plasma Burn (a la Aspect of Infernal/Bestial). Heck, convert Aspect of the Machine to this functionality so people actually take it. ;)

I casually threw in the idea about negative ion application/interaction as an afterthought, but the more I think about it, the more I think that would be a great way to go. It lets Overdrive stay general-purpose (which I think it should) and it also gives laser sword some cross-power synergy with electrical, just like heavy weapons has cross-power synergy with fire.

As for Aspect of the Machine, I was actually thinking about that one late last night. It really is junk in its current form, but it could instead be repurposed to fit the general-purpose niche technology's EUs currently reside in. It would also make it a worthwhile unlock.

[Aspect of the Machine]
    - When you enter combat, your offensive systems begin powering on. For every 5 seconds you remain in combat, you gain a stack of Frenzy, up to a maximum of 8 stacks.
    - Each stack of Frenzy gives you X% increased strength to all damage. This damage bonus scales with your intelligence.
    - Each time you gain a stack of Frenzy, all other stacks are refreshed and you gain Y energy. This energy gain scales with your intelligence, but is also affected by your recovery.
    - Frenzy has a significantly shorter duration than other form stacks, lasting only 8 seconds.

[Advantages]
    (2) Self-Repair Nanites: Every time you refresh stacks of Frenzy, you recover HP. (Basically Endorphin Rush for AotM)
    (1) Killing Machine: Each time you kill an enemy, your movement speed increases by 50%. Lasts for 10 seconds.

Note that I didn't mention the 10% increased energy cost because I think that whole thing is awkward, terrible and should be removed from all forms. If it really is necessary though, I guess the standard 10% should apply. Or something. :)
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    AoPM works....

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Energized
    Level 6: Boundless Reserves
    Level 9: Negotiator
    Level 12: Coordinated
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Covert Ops Training
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Laser Sword
    Level 6: Particle Accelerator
    Level 8: Particle Smash
    Level 11: Unified Theory
    Level 14: Aura of Primal Majesty
    Level 17: Form of the Tempest
    Level 20: Telekinetic Shield
    Level 23: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 26: Conviction
    Level 29: Lightspeed Dash
    Level 32: Unbreakable
    Level 35: Nanobot Swarm
    Level 38: Resurgence

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Finishing Blow (3/3)
    Brawler: Setup (2/2)
    Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Sentry: Precise (3/3)
    Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
    Sentry: Fortify (1/2)
    Mastery: Brawler Mastery (1/1)

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=13&n=&d=14233QTHPba70609200950096009L009M00M500A600EA007G00J5009H009Q007E00QG002WAM0Cms0291
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    This is my Laser Knight, currently geared with merc primaries and vigilante secondaries.
    DPS for this toon is around 2400 using only Laser Sword. I throw in Plasma Cutter for the occasional 10,000 damage spike when there are 3-4 stacks of plasma burn.

Folks like to scoff at Endurance Primary, but my toon never runs out of energy and has a good health total (10,600 with merc/vig combo). I threw in Gravity Driver for a nice alpha strike/debuff, and use particle smash for the occasional AoE. Instead of an energy unlock, one tick of my energy builder generates 77 energy.

I also gave this hero three powers with a dual use: electric sheath w/defense adv, field surge w/offense adv, and nanobot swarm w/heal adv.

Name: Knight of Cydonia

6 Endurance (Primary)
    10 Strength (Secondary)
    15 Constitution (Secondary)

1 Superhuman (Str: 12, Con: 12)
    6 Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    9 Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    12 Mighty (Str: 8)
    15 Enduring (Con: 8)
    18 Agile (Dex: 8)
    21 Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)

6 Jet Boots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    35 Rocket Jump (advantages)

1 Laser Edge
    1 Laser Sword (Rank 2, Particle Acceleration)
    6 Lightspeed Dash
    8 Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    11 Energy Shield (Rank 2, Laser Knight)
    14 Electric Sheath (Matter – Energy Union)
    17 Aspect of the Machine (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    20 Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    23 Rebirth
    26 Nanobot Swarm (Rejuvinating Injectors)
    29 Particle Smash (Accelerated Metabolism)
    32 Gravity Driver
    35 Plasma Cutter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    38 Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)

Advantage points: 36 / 36

Endurance Tree (10/10)
    Readiness (3/3)
    Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Power Overwhelming (3/3)
    Hardened (2/2)

Warden Tree (10/10)
    Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Slaughter (3/3)
    Ruthless (1/2)
    The Best Defense (3/3)

Vindicator Tree (10/10)
    Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Merciless (2/3)
    Initiative (2/2)
    Modified Gear (2/2)
    Offensive Expertise (2/2)

Warden Mastery (1/)

powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=13&n=Knight%20of%20Cydonia&d=18139G9132dB3C0920095059H0015039G0514049E033B05QJ007E049L043I009K03PB053AsB3STY0iD6

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • cptmassive1cptmassive1 Posts: 120 Arc User
    I have been piddling around with a laser sword build too and not happy with the results. I'm open to suggestions. Basically I vacillate between using electric form (better damage, less energy/fewer attacks) and AoPM (less damage but more attacks and better synergy with the specs I chose). Given that I might be taking this build through cosmics and the need for blocking all the time, energy might not be a problem and I can go with fewer attacks/electric form. Both passives give me at least two full combos with ease but AoPM I can go for a while without EB. And as long as I am forced to use EB some anyway I took the DR% debuff in the spec tree.

Anyway, here it is in a non-PH format

Attacks:
    Laser Edge
    Laser Sword R3 (if electric form) R2/PA if AoPM
    Plasma Cutter R3
    Fire All Weapons R3

AO: Lock and Load / Ego Surge+Nimble Mind
    AD: Masterful Dodge R2
    Energy: MSA
    Passive: Either Electric form R3 or AoPM R3
    Heals: BCR/RR R2 + Nanobot Swarm w/adv

INT / DEX / STR
    INT: Preparation 2
    Enlightened 3
    Detect Vulnerability 3
    Expertise 2

Brawler: No Escape 1
    Penetrating Strikes 2
    Ruthless 2
    Finishing Blow 3
    Offensive Exp 2

Vindicator: Merciless 3
    Initiative 2
    Focused Strikes 3
    Offensive Expertise 2

Vindicator Mastery (to help with DPS checks at dino with FaW) but INT mastery would work also given that it boosts CON and EGO.

Talents: The Fist (STR/DEX/INT 10, REC 8)
    Martial Focus (STR/DEX 5)
    Physical Conditioning (CON/STR 5)
    Coordinated (DEX/INT 5)
    Paramilitary (CON/INT/STR/REC 3)
    Covert Ops (CON/STR/DEX/INT 3)
    Body and Mind (STR/INT 5)

I chose all the "reduce DR%" stuff and I am underwhelmed in the output at the training dummies. I do not know what their DR% is if any or if this has any effect here or would be better against other opponents.

I also chose reducing cooldown with nanobots and specs plus the bonus from INT and I have them down to a minute cooldown before using Nanobots.

My plasma cutters should be doing more than the 6K or so I am getting before crits, or so it seems to me and my crits with the laser sword are anywhere from 1600-4200 which is a vast range for being reliable dps IMO. FaW seems to break 10K easily enough by eyeballing it but I know there is damage potential I am missing here.

The real difference might just be being able to use electric form as a dps role for the damage bonus since AoPM can only go hybrid or support. Anyone wanna tell me where this build sucks and how to fix it? :)
    edited July 2016
    The dmg range is possibly cause the last hit of LS combo does more dmg than the first two. In okay-ish gear my LS dps toon w/ WotW gets around 4.5-5k crits on the last hit w/ the combo, so ur numbers don't sound too far off. If ya can eliminate energy issues completely (I did it via FotT + Rush), then ya can go w/ Dex PSS if ya wanna try to get more dps that way.

Vind Mastery prob isn't doing much for ya. If ya can switch to Dex PSS then ya can get that mastery and forgo severity gearing, though. Warden + Warden Mastery is also really good for builds centering around the LS combo- I may actually get that even over Dex Mastery if using mainly the combo and not the rest of the mini-set.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

Vind Mastery prob isn't doing much for ya. If ya can switch to Dex PSS then ya can get that mastery and forgo severity gearing, though. Warden + Warden Mastery is also really good for builds centering around the LS combo- I may actually get that even over Dex Mastery if using mainly the combo and not the rest of the mini-set.

Warden Mastery is great with these builds.

Electric Form is also great for damage and energy mastery, since it boosts equilibrium. Electric and darkness AOs are great for energy, too. You don't have to take the TK one.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.