test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Therakiel's Sword?] Joke Device

crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
So were we supposed to know this was going to be in the game on exclusively the April 1st or something? Because the joke requires to be informed about it being in the game.

Not even a website post for this "exclusive item" to pick it up on only the 1st or anything.

I'm legit upset about missing this.​​

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Shockingly, April Fools jokes are often limited to April Fools day.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    It was a prank played without announcement--people actually thought for second that it was going to unlock a costume piece.

Announcing it ahead of time means it wouldn't have been a prank.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Announcing it as a Therekiel Sword and then you see it was a joke device would have been a prank.

What we got was the equivalent of dust cropping and no one notices until three days after.​​
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    So in short you wanted a special invitation?​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sirelocfreidonsirelocfreidon Posts: 1 Arc User
    Cryptic failed setting up the punch line pretty hard on this one, which is typical of them. Are you surprised?​​
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    Squeak toys are small and silly and obviously demand multi-million dollar marketing campaigns. Where's your head at, Spar? C'mon!
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    Too busy dancing to music evidently, and having fun I guess as I keep tinfoiling everyone... and smacking them with my squeak toy.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    So in short you wanted a special invitation?

Are you being serious now? Someone having a form of criticism is the equivalent of asking for special treatment? You want to be taken serious when you have criticism and ideas yet you go and make a post like this.​​
    I would take you seriously if you were actually providing real criticism.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    Brevity is the soul of wit.
  • so, was it supposed to unlock a squeaky toy version of therakiel's sword or not? because when i bought it, it showed as already unlocked - and if this wasn't what unlocked it, what DOES unlock the squeaky toy version of the sword?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo

so, was it supposed to unlock a squeaky toy version of therakiel's sword or not? because when i bought it, it showed as already unlocked - and if this wasn't what unlocked it, what DOES unlock the squeaky toy version of the sword?​​

It's actually a device, not a costume unlock. The costume unlock text and icon are deceptive.
    edited April 2016
    I would take you seriously if you were actually providing real criticism.

I guess you don't care because you got yours. How's it feel to get the exclusivity over others? That's what you wanted.​​
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I can't believe you're trying to fight for moral high ground in a thread about squeaky swords.

It's a timed event. You snooze, you lose.

Announcing it as a Therekiel Sword and then you see it was a joke device would have been a prank.

What we got was the equivalent of dust cropping and no one notices until three days after.​​

No one notices?

It spread virally during the server that day--I saw people using the squeak toy, got curious, asked and got joke/riddle answers. Then I went to the vendor, got one, got the joke. Not everyone got the joke, not everyone noticed, not everyone wanted the thing anyway. I discarded mine already.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

I guess you don't care because you got yours. How's it feel to get the exclusivity over others? That's what you wanted.​​

You know, I'm this close to believing people around here when they try to say things about me being immature or weird... but then you say something like this about a squeeky toy and I remember that the people who say those things would still listen to you before me and I rest assured that they're just complete nutjobs after all :smiley:
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Certainly a lot of people did get it. Plenty were smacking Go-Metal to make her stop dancing! :p

It doesn't work for long. "The sky is falling, just keep dancing!"
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • knazzirknazzir Posts: 37 Arc User
    I agree with the OP that an outside announcement, even if it was a cryptic message, would have been nice. CO has Twitter and Facebook accounts they rarely use and this kind of thing is the perfect use of them, especially if they would have posted in-character as Foxbat.
    Exactly. Anyone not logged on that specific, middle of the week, day and bothered to check a specific tab for something new in a sea of new items just put in there is a bit too niche.

What if they released a unique costume pack in the C Store but didn't announce it and only people logged in during that day that looked for it got it? You'd want your chance at it, wouldn't you? By the logic of posts in this thread, I suppose that would be a no.​​

Exactly. Anyone not logged on that specific, middle of the week, day and bothered to check a specific tab for something new in a sea of new items just put in there is a bit too niche.​​

The essence of an April Fools prank is that it's time-limited.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

Exactly. Anyone not logged on that specific, middle of the week, day and bothered to check a specific tab for something new in a sea of new items just put in there is a bit too niche.

What if they released a unique costume pack in the C Store but didn't announce it and only people logged in during that day that looked for it got it? You'd want your chance at it, wouldn't you? By the logic of posts in this thread, I suppose that would be a no.​​

I think people have definitely overreacted to your complaint, but you kinda have to expect them to do something for a "holiday". All you had to do was log in and ask what the joke was. Lesson learned for next year, sadly.
    biffsig.jpg
    Friday isn't middle of the week.

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User

It was a prank played without announcement--people actually thought for second that it was going to unlock a costume piece.

It does unlock a costume piece, actually.

Anyway, I get the OP's frustration. It could've been announced as something like, "SPECIAL COSTUME UNLOCK GIVEAWAY" or something like that on the front page. Everyone would rush in, see 'Therakiel's Sword?', claim it, and...find out that what they got wasn't actually the amazing item they hoped for.

Instead, it was executed poorly, as they'd only know about it if they were 1) online during April 1st and 2) either heard about it in zone chat (most likely) or happened to be browsing the Foxbatcon vendor on that particular day.

While I appreciate the free toy, from a design perspective, it's very important to be as inclusive as possible.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User

That would've been a disaster. I can hear the epic whines about being "fooled" and tricked already. The way they did it was best. A short little prank that didn't rile the entire community up.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    aesica said:

It does unlock a costume piece, actually.

What? cause i can't figure it out if it did...
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    it unlocks the trout weapon, provided you don't already have it unlocked.
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    i grabbed one, didn't realize it was a device until the next day, all i heard in zone was it unlocked the trout weapon. so dodnt bother getting "more"... that's my only complaint
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    The essence of an April Fools prank is that it's time-limited.

It's not the limited time thing he's upset about, it's that Cryptic didn't even make a small announcement of "Hey, heros! Get your own Therakiel's Sword at Foxbatcon today only!"​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited April 2016
    This is precisely why I have a problem with it. They didn't even have to say it was a Therakiel's Sword. They could have said a one day special item in the Foxbat vendor. People would see it as that and then freak out but then noticed its 1 credit and actually a joke device.

Its the 2014 Black Friday special all over again where they didn't send the emails until the day AFTER.​​
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I don't understand how this is a big deal. It's just a joke device. Sure it makes a cute squeaking sound and works with the "draw weapon out" command, but it doesn't unlock the actual thing.

Guess you'll just be vigilant during holidays and see what CO have in store.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    Is this where we express our outrage over missing out on stuff happening in the game?
    I've been globetrotting for the better part of a year now and I demand to be given all the stuff I've missed during that time. kthnx

Someone's gonna take this seriously, I just know it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________