What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, what good are UNITY missions now? 2.0

2»

Comments

• Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    No, it's called a flippant comment about something that is neither a good or bad thing, but is implied that it's supposed to be a bad thing. If I was going to accuse someone of a particular action I'd be clear about it. Like this:

Nagus, stop trying to look cool by applying your college debate class to silly comments on the interwebz.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    The reality of content released and what devs thought they could do in the allotted time (by the bosses or round-table Kumbayah doing the 'allotting') is never 100% aligned, and projects by their nature pretty much always have an allotted time/deadline for being ready.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    I really don't understand the solo issue. Like 95%+ of the game is soloable, except for the Rampages, Lairs and the few 5-team missions. You can do 95%+ of the missions solo with regular dropped gear (buy a few purples at the AH if the right thing doesn't drop for you). You can easily get Vig secondaries without needing to team. You really only need epic gear to do those very few epic team-missions that get you the epic gear, so if you are a soloer, there is no reason to even bother with the epic gear that you get from epic team-missions.

Anyway, back on track RE UNITY specifically.

The only reason I EVER did UNITY was to get SCR to get Heroics. Once I learned how to make G, I just started buying them on the AH. The UNITY missions are tragically booooooooooooooooring. You spend 60% of your time traveling, 35% of your time hunting for clickies, and only about 5% of your time doing anything remotely interesting. Then, repeat that 8-10 times for each of your 40s and it gets really tedious.

As was mentioned before, just a string of random missions with another random bonus mission is lame. Players should be rewarded for reaching 40 by especially engaging content, not punished with the most boring content ever. Make it a storyline. Something interesting. Cut way down on the clickies, or at least quit hiding them in the stupid corners. Introduce some interesting characters. I mean, come on, UNITY is sending out the cream of the crop to basically do baby runs. UNITY should be about tracking down bad-@$$ super-villains. It should be about busting the tier just below the Gravitar tier. You do not send your best super-heroes on milk runs. Every single one should end with a fight with a major (but soloable) named super-villain. (If they already do, I didn't notice because by that time I was so bored, I was brain dead.)

CUT DOWN ON THE TRAVEL. If you didn't catch it before, the travel time kills any sort of small enjoyment that there might be in the missions. GET RID OF THE LEMURIAN CAVES. Just saying... stupidest thing ever.

With the recent changes, I have decided to just skip Heroics entirely and go straight to Justice gear. I use my previous 40s to grind it out, then give the items to my new 40s. It is much more fun and much easier. It actually turns out to save a lot of time, too. I used to run UNITY till I got all my Heroic gear, then run Rampages to get Justice, but now I skip the intermediary step. I should have started doing that ages ago. There is never any reason to run a UNITY ever again, so I have to say THANK YOU for that. They are the worst of the worst in this game.

To recap, to fix the UNITY missions:
    1) Make thme interesting storylines.
    2) Have them end with interesting battles with important characters.
    3) Cut way down on travel time.
    4) Keep them soloable.
    5) Have them scale in difficulty with teams.
    6) Give them unique and fun rewards.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    As a player I'd honestly prefer if the devs did take the extra time and effort to make sure new content is properly completed. And given how many long term bugs CO has, many of which have been around since the games early days, they honestly should give new content the extra attention to make sure it works properly and is bug free, as well as take the time and effort to fix existing bugs. Also they need to finish several old projects that have lingered in a half-finished state for years on end... These bugs, rushed content updates, and incomplete content releases do nothing but create a poor image for new players to the game.

Anyone who spends more than 5 minutes reading zone chat will see numerous discussions pop up about various broken or unfinished aspects of the game. To a new player learning that something is incomplete may not be a bad thing initially, assuming the incomplete content is fairly new, but learning that something has been incomplete for years on end, that's a whole different story. People leave games due to poor development. Leaving bugs unaddressed and content updates unfinished is just that, poor development. This needs to change.

Sure there may be some long term players who want more frequent updates, but lets all face it, it's far more important that the game gets fixed properly and returns to a healthy state. Once that's done new players will stick around longer and spend more. With more income to the game more frequent development will be possible and to a better degree of quality and potentially even quantity than you'd see otherwise.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User

/snip

This is a good all around critique if UNITY.

"Like 95%+ of the game is soloable"
    I think people forget this some times.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited February 2016

/snip

This is a good all around critique if UNITY.

"Like 95%+ of the game is soloable"
    I think people forget this some times.
    Apparently the devs forgot it as well. Put all the new shinies (and the old ones as well) behind team and gear walls and then conveniently forget to update the reward rates of the solo content.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    sterga said:

No, it's called a flippant comment about something that is neither a good or bad thing, but is implied that it's supposed to be a bad thing.

In this case, "good" and "bad" are subjective. Different people have different opinions on whether longer development is good or bad, which they have shared in this thread. The point was, instead of actually responding to those comments, you created some fiction about people "flipping tables and frothing at the mouth". No one is doing that, so talking about it doesn't help your argument.

I really don't understand the solo issue. Like 95%+ of the game is soloable,

It's pretty simple: even if most of the old stuff is soloable, people want *new* gear and *new* rewards. That's pretty much the only reason people keep playing these kinds of games. And the *majority* of the new gear and rewards is attached to group content. Hence, the "solo issue".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

It's pretty simple: even if most of the old stuff is soloable, people want *new* gear and *new* rewards. That's pretty much the only reason people keep playing these kinds of games. And the *majority* of the new gear and rewards is attached to group content. Hence, the "solo issue".

Well maybe if we're lucky they'll add some new solo stuff to do that is as challenging as TA, that way "new gear" is justified as a reward.
  • Options
    Hmm...dedicated, solo-designed content as challenging as TA for eventual gear reward...faceplant to my heart's content without affecting others...I would consider chasing that carrot, yes.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Well maybe if we're lucky they'll add some new solo stuff to do that is as challenging as TA, that way "new gear" is justified as a reward.

I would be interested in this.

Has anyone tried solo end-game from Wildstar or DCUO? If so what are your thoughts on their approach to solo end-game?
    Are there any other MMOs with exceptional solo end-game that come to mind?

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
    The UNITY missions are kind of dull, and the tiny amount of silver is no longer worth that boredom, so I stopped doing them completely. I'm actually glad it's no longer worth doing them honestly I can't stand doing the same tired missions over and over. Maybe if were team based efforts, doing them would be reward enough.

I'm still holding out that they have some kind of mission creator for this game. I know in my mind it will never happen, but in my heart, I can still hope.
  • Options
    renegade0 said:

The UNITY missions are kind of dull, and the tiny amount of silver is no longer worth that boredom, so I stopped doing them completely. I'm actually glad it's no longer worth doing them honestly I can't stand doing the same tired missions over and over.

Agreed.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Yup Unity 2 is even worse than Unity for boring.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    nepht said:

Yup Unity 2 is even worse than Unity for boring.

Unfortunately I have to agree. A while back I had a bug that prevented me from unlocking the Unity 2 missions, and I was rather sad, because I thought I was missing out on something. I thought, like the Unity 1 missions, that the Unity 2 missions would have me traveling around Vibora Bay, fighting various bad guys. But when I finally unlocked them, I found out the sad truth: that every single mission is running around inside those underground tunnels. I haven't played them since.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, honestly, UNITY 2 needs a revamp far more than UNITY 1, which I still...kinda run, albeit piecemeal.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Posts: 35 Arc User

>
    Can we have some solo content so we're not always at the mercy of other people?

Steel Crusade is soloable though.
    I guess that depends on a few very specific build + max level equip. My main (Devastator AT) dies at the endfight. At least that was a few months ago, did not tried since than. Loitered Gateway for a while to see if I can hijack some others but I never saw others approaching that mission when I was there.
  • Options

>
    Can we have some solo content so we're not always at the mercy of other people?

Steel Crusade is soloable though.
    I guess that depends on a few very specific build + max level equip. My main (Devastator AT) dies at the endfight. At least that was a few months ago, did not tried since than. Loitered Gateway for a while to see if I can hijack some others but I never saw others approaching that mission when I was there.
    ask in zone chat. at the very least if I happen to be watching I'll go with you. heck, whisper me, I usually like to do things.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Posts: 35 Arc User

spinnytop said:

I would be interested in this.

Has anyone tried solo end-game from Wildstar or DCUO? If so what are your thoughts on their approach to solo end-game?
    Are there any other MMOs with exceptional solo end-game that come to mind?
    No idea about Wildstar; but DCUO solo near the end is a repetitive chore; especially since they make some reward changes few months ago. Its worse than CO IMO. I guess their budget of getting anything meaningful done must be about equally bad like COs budget.

The only thing I did the last few times I logged in there was reminding myself how cool my apartment is and taking a flight around Metropolis.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

Right now they're site seeing missions, for people that haven't done them there are a few worth while missions, like the one where you get to see the inside of the Qularr mother ship complete with bullet Ironclad rode into the ship at the end of the tutorial, or the one where you get shrunk down and get to see that only female scientist in the game. Sadly the rest are pretty forgettable and often annoying. Rescue 50 manamals? Not for just 3 SCR thank you.

That was actually a nice surprise.

The sad part is many players have idea Unity 1&2 exist. The game design is very poor in guiding players towards their level content. If we could steal anything from STO.. I'd love their mission windows. Where you can see all the arcs and choose to do (or redo them). Also love how you get onscreen messages telling you what to do next or leading you into a content arc.

Nobody reads those UNITY emails they get lost in all the spam.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options

guyhumual said:

Right now they're site seeing missions, for people that haven't done them there are a few worth while missions, like the one where you get to see the inside of the Qularr mother ship complete with bullet Ironclad rode into the ship at the end of the tutorial, or the one where you get shrunk down and get to see that only female scientist in the game. Sadly the rest are pretty forgettable and often annoying. Rescue 50 manamals? Not for just 3 SCR thank you.

That was actually a nice surprise.

The sad part is many players have idea Unity 1&2 exist. The game design is very poor in guiding players towards their level content. If we could steal anything from STO.. I'd love their mission windows. Where you can see all the arcs and choose to do (or redo them). Also love how you get onscreen messages telling you what to do next or leading you into a content arc.

Nobody reads those UNITY emails they get lost in all the spam.
    Heck I know Unity 2 exists and I've never actually done it because I'm still not even sure what I need to do... and I even read a guide on how to do it!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    I did Unity 2 on my first character (the one that did every single mission because I was new to the game). Haven't done it with any characters since.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

I did Unity 2 on my first character (the one that did every single mission because I was new to the game). Haven't done it with any characters since.​​

Same here. It is a pain to get started with UNITY 2.

By "pain" I mean, "not interesting, somewhat time consuming, lots of load screens."

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    The worst is redoing that horrible Foxbat mission at the end of some of them. *shudders*
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,044 Arc User
    ]
    mijjestic wrote: »
    The worst is redoing that horrible Foxbat mission at the end of some of them. *shudders*

Oh please, Burn them Up is the WORST of the WORST​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!