test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What changes do you think could bring over more people to play CO?

Comments

• tehpawstehpaws Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    a1fighter said:

The numbers don't lie folks. DCUO and Marvel are the top dog hero MMOs. Something they have in common are great combat, content, and visuals. We must remember, these are paying costumers whom have no resentment, but merely want to play the best product and that is Marvel or DCUO, sad but true.

On a side note, and I admit I haven't fully read through the entirety of this thread given its age so I don't know if it's been brought up, but why is the Marvel "MMO" even considered in the same category as CO or DCUO? If we're talking Heroes, that's not, strictly speaking, what I would call an MMORPG. It's Ultimate Alliance meets Diablo. If I wanted to be stuck playing as a pre-existing superhero, there are hordes of licensed games I can play. That isn't what I personally play MMOs for, and I find it silly to compare Marvel Heroes to MMOs with custom characters on that basis alone, regardless of the player numbers. They aren't comparable games.

As far as DCUO, it's been said before multiple times I'm sure, but all it has over CO with its core gameplay is more active combat and slightly prettier visuals. The environments are nice but vastly limited compared to CO's world variety, the travel power variety is more limited, the character customization is an absolute joke compared to CO and CoH, and the business model is, at least in my opinion, equally problematic or worse than CO's. Plus it's published by Warner Interactive, who I don't trust as a company right now by any means.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    a1fighter said:

a1fighter said:

....play the best product and that is Marvel or DCUO, sad but true.

"best" is exremely subjective. If you actually meant the most popular in terms of number of players then I wouldn't disagree.

However, I think CO is best. I've tried the other two and I prefer CO and continue to pay my subscription and regularly buy zen.

Very true, but remember, while subjective, the game with the most players win. Example, out of 1,020 people, 20 people like turkey burgers, but 1,000 like hamburgers, while subjective, turkey burgers are appealing to more people. Just an example.
    It doesn't "win" me though. I don't play a game because it has the most players, I play it because I tried it and I thought it was better than the other ones (that I also tried) for whatever criteria I hold dear. That happens to be this one.

I'm not gonna eat turkey burgers if I don't like 'em just because other people are.

Also....turkey burgers are some nasty sh*t ;)

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    DCUO and Marvel Heroes are based on more popular and well-known IPs and therefore naturally they have bigger playerbases and appeal to a wider demographic. That doesn't automatically make them "superior" when it comes to the actual gameplay experience since YMMV.

I don't even know why those games have to constantly be brought up for comparison with expectations that a game based on the much lesser known Champions IP is supposed to match up with or do better than DC or Marvel.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    a1fighter said:

The numbers don't lie folks. DCUO and Marvel are the best product

Having played them both, I find them boring and not worth spending a dime on. On the other hand I've spent hundreds of dollars on CO.

Looks like your numbers lied super hard.
    a1fighter said:

Very true, but remember, while subjective, the game with the most players win. Example, out of 1,020 people, 20 people like turkey burgers, but 1,000 like hamburgers, while subjective, turkey burgers are appealing to more people. Just an example.

Your understanding of the business world is adorable. That's something my six year old nephew would... well he would laugh at it because of how adorably naive it is. In the real world, both the turkey burger place and the hamburger joint stay in business, because there is a market for both products. In fact, it'd be smart for turkey burger place to stick with turkey burgers rather than try to go for hamburgers, considering that they've been pretty comfortable in the turkey burger market.

PS - if 20 people like turkey burgers, then how are they appealing to more people? I think your numbers lied again ;)

PS2 - Since you're so fond of the food analogy, here's something interesting for you to consider. McDonalds serves millions of people everyday. There are 5 star restaurants that are not franchised, who serve only a few hundred per day. You want to argue that McDonald's food is superior just cause they have more customers? Go for it, my nephew will happily read.
    jonsills said:

Yeah, it's become clear over time that a1 here is in fact a shill for DCUO, trying his darndest to make all us misguided heathens See the Light and abandon this game to go play his. So far, it doesn't seem to be working; I could wish that would dissuade him from his Holy Mission, but so far I see no sign of it.

Yeah... he's got to be the most obvious one too. I mean, who the heck says "best product"... is this guy a cop? I think this guy is a cop. Yo this guy's a cop.

Btw a1, if you don't wanna look like a shill, stop trying to convince people to play those other games. Especially for such dumb reasons.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    a1fighter wrote: »
    Bump, informative thread, despite my pessimism. Great suggestions all around.

What I am getting from those on the outside whom have no loyal ties, but merely played both and prefer DCUO and Marvel is....Nothing like an unbiased opinion and that's nothign like one.

CO's combat system

CO's endgame

CO's visuals.

I am an avid poster over there on DCUO, and occasionally Marvel and these three things continue to rear their head. These are hard things (If impossible) to change, but that is what it is. CO would have to change significantly in attempt to grab new players or bring back those whom played but prefer DCUO/Marvel's combat, visuals, and endgame. Creating a sequel would be more feasible as opposed to changing combat, visuals, and endgame.

The numbers don't lie folks. DCUO and Marvel are the top dog hero MMOs. Something they have in common are great combat, content, and visuals. We must remember, these are paying costumers whom have no resentment, but merely want to play the best product and that is Marvel or DCUO, sad but true.

no, most of the players want to play their favourite heroes, which they can do. I still find it funny, people in DCUO trying to make Marvel characters.
    1. 76% of DCUO players are consoles.http://www.gamezone.com/news/76-of-dc-universe-online-players-play-on-a-playstation-console So 76% of them will NEVER play this PC only game. ANd don't you have to pay to get any console game?
    2. Best game is entirely a subjective opinion. I've played DCUO and I consider it a piece of ****.
    CRAPPY combat
    CRAPPY visuals,
    The hero and villains do the same missions just attack the opposite people.
    BORING AND CRAPPY endgame.
    Then we have the amazingly annoying Acrobatcis travel power.
    and here's a few interesting comments after this article, about MH15
    http://massivelyop.com/2015/09/03/rumor-gazillion-hit-with-layoffs/
    and SOE got sold to an investment company. that's the one's which want lots of profits to give to their shareholders.
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/2/7963995/sony-online-entertainment-sold-off-by-sony-renamed-daybreak-game
    PWE was one of the other companies trying to buy it.
    now just to make it a fair comparison, get DCUO and MH15 to shed all their advertising budget and get rid of the Devs, so they have the same amount as CO and the same operating budget and we'll see how well they go , as their game gets nothing done.​​
    Post edited by chaelk on
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Best super hero game? I said it before will say it again Saints Row IV...its not online and I dont have to deal with you guys >_>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    a1fighter said:

I am just saying that although it is subjective, hamburgers wins over more people, therefore it is superior.

"Superior" is subjective in this case, therefore it can't be claimed as fact.

More people playing one game over another does not make that former game "superior". Logically all you can say is that more people are playing it.

In a street not far from me there is a fried chicken shop and a Thai restaurant, more people go to the fried chicken shop than the Thai restaurant, however I have eaten from both and think the Thai restuarant is superior.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    Suggestions? Hmm...
    I've not read every post but the general feeling here seems to be about to play a hero-themed mmo, which is also what I like here.
    I don't really care about endgame lairs. Don't extrapolate however. New contents have to be added periodically. But I'm here for the hero stories. I don't want to play a "grindfest in tights" mmo. Why would I bother to do Viper Lantern/Aftershock/etc... if it's just "go here, kill X mobs, go there kill Y mobs, repeat until overdose of killings." I can play GW2 for that (I became allergic to undead there).
    Rewards matter too and to have removed a lot of unique drops killed the fun.
    Alert is a nice farming format but it brings nothing. Fast play, fast bored. 2 minutes to get the reward then what to do? Nothing. Repeat Alerts until overdose. But for a business company, it means fast money. If they want to make a regular income out of CO, they have to think about regular contents, not just fastfarm.
    Steel Crusade is nice but there's noone there because rewards matter. I'm not into it but for a lot of players, to have the biggest epeen matters (zomglookatmydamagesroflmaoimagod).

So I think that's it : more comic series/adventure packs with hero-themed stories and unique dropS.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    gradii said:

a1fighter said:

I am just saying that although it is subjective, hamburgers wins over more people, therefore it is superior.

"Superior" is subjective in this case, therefore it can't be claimed as fact.

More people playing one game over another does not make that former game "superior". Logically all you can say is that more people are playing it.

In a street not far from me there is a fried chicken shop and a Thai restaurant, more people go to the fried chicken shop than the Thai restaurant, however I have eaten from both and think the Thai restuarant is superior.
    So true, fast food is popular becuase it's cheaper, but it's not superior to what you can get at a more dedicated place.
    Sums it up for me.

CO is not for everyone. Hell...hero game MMOs don't seem to appeal to most in general. But you won't see me playing DCUO, ever! I'm not going to be Superman's b!tch and I don't want to pay to play several versions of Wolverine.

In my opinion Champion Online is the best superhero game ever created, ever.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    NOT making it take longer to get heroic gear. Stupid idea is stupid.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    nepht said:

^
    Yess :P.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    nepht said:

Agreed.

zrdRBy8.png
    a1fighter said:

because many people don't play it. Cool, there are 200 or so people that do, but there are thousands whom play DC and Marvel.

It is still questionable why you think this fact is relevant. If CO tried to be more like those games, all that would happen is it would lose the people currently playing CO.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

It is still questionable why you think this fact is relevant. If CO tried to be more like those games, all that would happen is it would lose the people currently playing CO.

Yup. He seems to not realize that this game is full of people who have tried the other games, and decided to play this one.
    a1fighter said:

wanted to bump this thread to make some points on why CO is unsuccessful.

there are 200 or so people that do, but there are thousands whom play DC and Marvel.

I'm willing to bet a lot of it has to do with not having "DC" or "Marvel" in the title. Don't you think it's important to note the amount of people who show up to this game to play as Spider-Man or Batman, knowing that there's official and "better, superior" (by way of your opinion) games out there that let you do this?

I know DC doesn't let you actually play those characters, but you're only not them by name. Close enough to Champions when you're looking like Batman, having powers like Batman, but being named Battmann.
    biffsig.jpg
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Think about the Marvel super movies. How much better they do VS Agents of SHIELD. See, the Marvel movies have star power. Agents has... uh, star name drops... Yeah. The movies have a significantly larger budget as well. Even though they are all Marvel, some of those things do much better than the other.

CO is basically Agents. Smaller budget, no star power. So, no kidding the other games do better. Doesn't mean they are better games though.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    so you're saying that you find it odd that people are not flocking;
    to a little known RPG system like Champions , which gets no advertising
    and has few people working on it,
    instead of the over 50years+, world wide, known IP of Marvel and DC,
    who get free advertising with every movie and comic to roughly the same age demographic which is most likely to buy games.
    and which has a large team working on it
    the closest comparison is expecting a local Mom and Pop grocery store, which started up a few years ago, to be as successful as a well known , national chain which has been going for decades.
    yes we know there's things wrong with the game. People are playing this game because we prefer it. That's it. So what if there's more people in the other game, that doesn't change the players here, opinion of those games.

you cannot create Copyrighted characters, whether name/costume/background. Disney which owns Marvel, is well known for stomping on ANY perceived copyright violations.
    Even if they weren't you still wouldn't unless Cryptic had permission from them.
    http://www.lawmart.com/forms/difference.htm
    from the TOS
    16.4You agree not to post, upload to, transmit, distribute, store, create or otherwise publish any of the following:
    c. User Content that may infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual or proprietary right of any party. By posting any User Content, you represent and warrant that you have the lawful right to distribute and reproduce such User Content;
    Now unless you have some actual ideas, which are CHEAP, easy to implement with our limited Dev team.​​

folks are not in denial, that's the people who ignore a basic FACT of why the other games are more popular.

aifighter. you say you're active on the DC forums. do this and it may get a basic premise through to you

make a poll thread;
    1 question.
    have you ever heard of champions game system. yes/no.
    and watch how many no's you get, assuming the poll doesn't get wiped.

2nd one
    have you ever heard of Marvel or DC comics yes/no
    watch all the sarcastic comments, along the lines of "are you an idiot?"​​

a1fighter said:

See above post, anyway, that is the fault of the company. Don't most games, even WoW start out as unknowns? Even Sonic and Mario were unknowns at one point, when developers were trying to break into the industry, but guess what? The game play was iconic and won players over.

When world of blizzardcraft launched, Blizzard already had a huge following of fans due to warkraft and starkraft. They instantly had a bigger customer base for that game than most successful mmos have today for their entire duration. You need to stop telling other people that they're in denial so long as you're making comparisons like these.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

a1fighter said:

See above post, anyway, that is the fault of the company. Don't most games, even WoW start out as unknowns? Even Sonic and Mario were unknowns at one point, when developers were trying to break into the industry, but guess what? The game play was iconic and won players over.

When world of blizzardcraft launched, Blizzard already had a huge following of fans due to warkraft and starkraft. They instantly had a bigger customer base for that game than most successful mmos have today for their entire duration. You need to stop telling other people that they're in denial so long as you're making comparisons like these.
    Wth is warkraft exactly? Is it not WoW in a sense?
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • tehpawstehpaws Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Uhm.. World of Warcraft IS Warcraft. Warcraft was the real time strategy that began all the lore used in WoW.
    a1fighter said:

LoL, bunch of no-names generic characters, but behold....http://fortune.com/2013/07/10/how-riot-games-created-the-most-popular-game-in-the-world/

Players will play a great product.

Additionally, this...isn't wholly accurate, because it implies you don't know anything regarding LoL's origins. This, again, goes back to Warcraft, specifically Warcraft 3, and a ridiculously popular mod for it known as Defense of the Ancients, aka DOTA. Does that sound familiar? It should. League of Legends is, at its core, a direct recreation of DOTA, with most of its original roster being altered forms of the official heroes from Warcraft/DOTA, and the gameplay almost directly lifted from DOTA.

LoL was not the first "moba" styled game, but it took off because of its unofficial ties to the original mod people were obsessed with. So, as with Wow, this isn't a fair case of a game starting from nothing.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    One thing I think would help attract people is more power sets. Getting endgame content will be a help but of course people will want power sets they imagine for their characters, and there are still plenty to go around in the vast world of Champions.

I would say the Foundry would be a big boon, but that, I am sure, isn't happening because Champions doesn't make enough to justify the cost of conversion. It's that catch-22 scenario, and we need to get more people interested in this game if we want to see such major changes.

Another big, aching issue, but seems to be slowly getting tackled are the major imbalances. Buggy and broken game balance will always drive people away, especially if they feel they can't use their character ideal of their choice. And while long standing players may complain about that, things need to be more balanced that makes all prospective power sets more interesting and not just the select few that we have.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    These suggestions will be grand, but sadly, devs did not pay attention to the forums. Still no customizable sidekicks.

There's a vast difference between listening to ideas, being able to act on ideas, and choosing ideas that would actually be worth the investment of creation. Customizable sidekicks is one of those things that would require a large investment, an investment that I doubt Champions makes the income to cover and additional updates like new end game content. The cost of development is not going down, to put it bluntly.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    CoX wasn't as popular as people like to claim. It didn't even generate enough revenue to stay open.

If LoL is a DotA clone from Blizzard, then CO needs to turn into some sort of Blizzard game clone, preferably a MOBA because that's what's hot now. So who has a time machine? We need one.

Unfortunately, one of the things that hurts CO is being a themepark game. Considering MMOs need repeat visits, having a game with limited replay value doesn't do much to keep people. The alt addiction does keep people, if they get around to using a FF slot or become enamored by the tailor. ATs are not a good first impression of the game. All of them have issues. But that's what most people see the first time they play CO. I've played enough of the ATs to know how bad they are. You don't get to customize them much, so there's no excuse for them not to be well built. Yet so many of them aren't even fun to level because of terrible power progression and / or horrid energy issues. Trying to shove trinity builds into a game designed for FF also doesn't help.

It is possible to have a group based game where you don't need trinity. In Romancing Saga 3, I can go wild with my party and I generally never go trinity. Normally, I pick someone who's good at punching people to learn Focus, a self heal, and give that to everyone else. As backup, a random toon gets a Life Cane or some magic to heal other members. In RS3, there are party forms where certain positions get hit more often, but that doesn't stop mobs from hitting anyone else. It makes having a tank useful, but non-tanks can still get hit. For CO, obvious one, everyone gets at least one heal, but could also be how team encounters are handled. Aggro hogs would still be useful and take most of the damage, but anyone can get hit. That would mean some attacks have to be toned down so lower HP toons weren't instagibbed, not have certain attacks hit anyone but the "tank", or having only certain attacks hit anyone other than the "tank", but would make fights more interesting. Add stress to the team, but not necessarily by just killing off all the players. A pure support character isn't critical, but isn't useless either.

There are things Cryptic could do to move away from the themepark and improve the AT experience, but right now, they're shoving grind into a game not good for it. Stealing ideas from successful grind based games would be nice. We already have plenty of maps that could use some updates to mobs. Just giving mobs in already existing zones some random elements would be nice.

That crazy bear that runs around in MI could be given a few buffs and a larger wander area. Give him a rabies buff. He does massive damage but sometimes punches himself in the face for a 1 second stun. His crazy yell infects the mobs around him with rabies and causes them to mindlessly follow the bear. If he bites a player, they get rabies and the buff / debuff with it. The bear hones in on any player within 100ft and applies NttG to them.

What about those viper mobs? How about those leader guys get some interesting effects? Maybe they're so good at leadership that their allies can't die until you kill the leader first. Maybe he also gives focus to his allies so that they all target the same player. Or how about instead, squad leaders call in backup once their HP reaches certain amounts?

How about those power armor units? Maybe a few different effects for them too. How about once their HP reaches zero, they explode for massive damage. Allies nearby take damage as well, but also have a 30% chance to explode themselves if they're killed by the power armor explosion. How about a some of the power armor suits are support units with med nanites or other ally buffs / player debuffs? On death, the med unit could spread out some crazy chems that heal everyone to 100% HP, players and mobs.

Open up more caves and building for some quick quests. Being that they are instances, having random elements would be easier than open world stuff. Have mobs move around instead of always being in the same spot. Have different aggro ranges. Slight variations on existing mobs. Random maps aren't needed. Random elements on existing mobs would be fine. Low tier enemies can stay the same, but give two and three HP bar enemies some interesting effects. Have some named villains show up occasionally. I'm sure there are all sorts of lore enemies that people would love to bump into. Difficulty levels could instead change the number of higher tier enemies in an instance. Elite setting means you have a high chance of getting a unique villain plus more higher tier enemies.
    edited February 2016
    Well, what changes are a worthy investment for them? I am unaware of any they deem worthy, otherwise this thread would not exist.

You are forgetting they have a budget. Contrary to popular belief, game development is not cheap, and takes time. They have to budget their tasks, budget their resources (computer time, animators, developers, artists, engineers, etc) and they can't just go, hey let's make this complicated system that would require massive re-writes of code that requires extra engineers, programmers and possibly artists and animators to do.

Vehicles happened the way they did because they couldn't afford a vast re-write of the game engine to accommodate what people wanted. Sidekick system is the way it is because they can't afford or have the resources to sit there and program a vast new system for the game, and such a sidekick system that you want with a fully customizable sidekick would be costly to develop.

I know what I would want to see done, but I also understand that game development does not exist in a vacuum and certainly does not persist on well wishes and hopeful dreams. The only way to get this game bigger stuff is to increase its income, and the only way to do that is to get people to start buying new stuff and getting new people into the game to start buying the stuff. If any of that happens then maybe we cans tart seeing bigger and bigger updates, maybe even full expansion levels of content with new zones, but until then and while people continually keep complaining that the cost of permanent items is too much then getting by is basically what we are doomed to be settled on.
    "Unfortunately, one of the things that hurts CO is being a themepark game. Considering MMOs need repeat visits, having a game with limited replay value doesn't do much to keep people. The alt addiction does keep people, if they get around to using a FF slot or become enamored by the tailor. ATs are not a good first impression of the game. All of them have issues. But that's what most people see the first time they play CO. I've played enough of the ATs to know how bad they are. You don't get to customize them much, so there's no excuse for them not to be well built. Yet so many of them aren't even fun to level because of terrible power progression and / or horrid energy issues. Trying to shove trinity builds into a game designed for FF also doesn't help."

This paragraph pretty much summed up CO's issues.

While I won't disagree, none of the popular MMOs or those people think died unwarranted deaths, were sandboxes either. All MMOs in the common era are theme park games. There hasn't been a true traditional sandbox MMO went mainstream back in the mid 90s. WoW itself is a very heavy theme park game but now it's becoming a heavily browser based game to with how the Garrison system worked and how the new class halls look to work. The closest thing we have to a sandbox in the modern era is EVE Online, and even that is a glorified theme park surrounded by a sandbox.

No to drum up interest in a theme park requires the making of new content.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited February 2016
    edit: duplicate post
    edited February 2016

How is LoL even relevant? LoL is a MOBA, an entirely different genre and market and therefore has much different factors to it drawing players to the game. The whole MOBA concept has little to do with how well known the playable characters are and more to do with how their varying mechanics and playstyles apply to the game. Who says that character identification is absolute in determining how well a game franchise does?

Instead of accusing people of denial, stop acting in denial yourself and feel free to address that up there.

edited February 2016
    a1fighter said:

How is LoL even relevant? LoL is a MOBA, an entirely different genre and market and therefore has much different factors to it drawing players to the game. The whole MOBA concept has little to do with how well known the playable characters are and more to do with how their varying mechanics and playstyles apply to the game. Who says that character identification is absolute in determining how well a game franchise does?

Instead of accusing people of denial, stop acting in denial yourself and feel free to address that up there.

Are you talking to yourself?
    No, I was quoting an earlier post I made.
    a1fighter said:

Did not prove nothing.....
    Actually what I posted proves exactly why using LoL as some sort of credible or even relevant comparison to argue that "if LoL can do it, so can CO" comes off as ridiculous.

Also once again missing the point that just having more players != an objectively more appealling product.
    I though CCP stopped releasing their sub numbers for Eve a long time ago and that most people think it's because the numbers are going down the drain.

I didn't say anything about sandbox. I said add random elements to what's already there. Loot grind games are not sandbox games.