test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What massive development would you like to see in CO?

Comments

• Options
    orlokk88orlokk88 Posts: 10 Arc User
    OK this is how I would do a villain expansion (modelled after the CoV)

Beginning (and tutorial): Breaking out of a prison somewhere.

Advancement: Your villain advances through the story by first escaping prison. But a new villain in town is nothing special. You will work for the Purple Gang to cut your teeth. Instead of fighting Kevin Poe as a boss, you will be facing Kodiak. Waylon Talos will help you against him. After you gain level 15, you have an option of working for VIPER and PSI. You will "intern" with PSI and they will give you quests. You also have the opportunity to gain unique rewards such as powers and costume pieces from various factions and to quote Calculator from DCUO.....so make friends. You progressively will fight more heroes as you go along. You will face Witchcraft in the Desert, for instance.

Your villain will eventually become powerful enough to oppose even Destroyer himself.

Now villains will have a special alert called Heists. You and a team of villains will rob museums, banks, etc. Your enemies are PRIMUS and even UNTIL personnel. You will be facing the Powered Armour from the MCPD for instance as a Master Villain. They also could have a list of stock heroes that will try and stop you for the "boss" fight.

• Options
    orlokk88orlokk88 Posts: 10 Arc User
    This game could be unbelievably better, we just have to want it
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    The main issue people have with villain side is that the whole quest system makes you feel more like a lackey and less like a villain... since it's basically "Hey, you, newbie, go beat up those cops" whereas on the hero side you get to feel more like a hero because the same situation becomes "HELP! Their beating us up!"... The issue isn't how to incorporate a villain side into the game, it's how do you make it feel like your playing a villain and not a just a lackey.​​
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Excuse me, but we DO know that. That has been the #1 complaint about villain sides in every superhero MMO that's come out with one. The villain side has ALWAYS felt like your playing a lackey rather than a villain. That is a fact.

The rest of what I said was also a fact, the issue really is figuring out how to make it feel like your playing a villain rather than a lackey. There's nothing questionable about that statement and nothing to say that we don't know that, since we do. We've had multiple superhero MMOs show us this and every time without fail the fact that you don't feel like a villain has been the most complained about aspect of the villain side.​​
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    LoL doesn't have faction restrictions and makes oodles more money than dcuo and CO combined. There is nothing stopping players from having Katerina and Garen on the same team even though they are from enemy nations that hate each other. Nothing stopping players from coming up with their own villain lore.

Dcuo does better than CO because it's dc. Brand recognition is important and it's much harder to use unknown / New IP for games. If you strip out the IP, duco is a mediocre game at best. It would have shut down instead of going f2p.

A villain faction is not going to magically make this game better and may just kill it instead. Seriously, the story in the game now is pretty lame in presentation. Having villain fetch and kill quests doesn't have much appeal. Unless cryptic plans to hire a professional writer to give this game a story overhaul, villain side isn't going to add anything interesting to CO.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Wait a minute. You readily concede that the only reason DCUO is pulling the numbers it is is because of the console aspect - and in the same breath claim that the larger numbers are in fact due to their having a so-called "villain faction"?

Something just isn't adding up here.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    CLearly most people want the foundry. Such a shame that cryptic still tried to not give people what they want and prefer to give us things most people don't care about. It's no mystery that the foundry is getting more and more ignored in NW (and I assume STO too)
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    reiwulf said:

CLearly most people want the foundry. Such a shame that cryptic still tried to not give people what they want and prefer to give us things most people don't care about. It's no mystery that the foundry is getting more and more ignored in NW (and I assume STO too)

By that logic.. then... according to this poll... Cryptic is most likely to give us... AF Fights... oh gah!!! Thats horrible!!! Quick!!! Everyone who hasn't voted yet, vote for that atrocity... make sure it never comes to see the light of day...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    reiwulf said:

It's no mystery that the foundry is getting more and more ignored in NW (and I assume STO too)

It is rather interesting. Prior to launch, the foundry was promoted as one of, if not the major selling point for NW. However, since launch it has gotten less and less attention to the point where it's not even talked about anymore when advertising the game. Cryptic has obviously given up on the foundry in it's games.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    exactly, the foundry was more or less the only reason I even tried NW, and even more, why I endured it after years. But many of the authors (me included) are tired of being ignored for years. it's sad to see a game with so much potential go down the drain, but I guess Cryptic is not new at that...
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Foundry:
    1. STO &NW had their files all sorted and ready to attach to the foundry,
    CO doesn't. So before you can get the Foundry, devs has to spend a lot of expensive, no money coming time doing the files.

the foundry in NW, when they did the story , ok farm cleanouts last year. The talk in zone , was
    "where's the farms"
    " I can't find any of the farms"
    "why are there so few things on the foundry"

after removing the farms, there were 175 left. 2 days later 375(guess what th rest were), 4 days later over 1100.
    the same farms just got reloaded by new level 15's

removing the ability to use imp portals and put blocks of orcs in spaces, where they don't aggro, should be removed.
    a1fighter wrote: »
    Wait a minute. You readily concede that the only reason DCUO is pulling the numbers it is is because of the console aspect - and in the same breath claim that the larger numbers are in fact due to their having a so-called "villain faction"?

Something just isn't adding up here.

"DCUO is only doing better because it's console is holding it up."

truth, DCUO is crushing CO, notably due to the console support, but....

"That is correct, will not refute; but regardless, DCUO destroys CO via PC population."

Pretty much a mute point, DCUO destroys CO without console support, but it is doing much better overall, due to its' console support, which appears to be huge. Take away console support, DCUO will be heavily impacted, but still waaay better off than CO.

so what you're saying, is : the big name IP game run by the big company with the big budget, is doing better than the small , little known IP game run by the small company with the small budget for that game.
    Did you notice how many people were trying to play Marvel characters in DCUO?​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    reiwulf wrote: »
    exactly, the foundry was more or less the only reason I even tried NW, and even more, why I endured it after years. But many of the authors (me included) are tired of being ignored for years. it's sad to see a game with so much potential go down the drain, but I guess Cryptic is not new at that...

Probably because many authors want ridiculous levels of control. I can understand creating boss level monsters, but some authors want the power to create the loot for their foundry missions, as if that wouldn't be abused.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    what has that to do with anything?I've hardly heard anyone ask for personalized loot. most ask for BUGS to be fixed (like each time you use a teleporter in the editor, the quest autocompletes; you can't retrain your caracter or the skills get messed up forever, etc...)
    we want bosses, we want bugs fixed, we want more assets available, we want better rewards for foundry quests,we want people to play our quests. No one is asking for ridiculous stuff.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    I think the "answer" regarding why the foundry has been abandoned is pretty simple: it doesn't have a direct profit. Sure, you can argue that having the foundry missions to play keeps some people playing when they run out of official content, but there is really no way to "prove" that, because that reason is only inside the person's head and isn't something Cryptic/PW can actually measure. Cryptic/PW can't point to how much money the foundry is making them, therefore they aren't devoting resources into it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

I think the "answer" regarding why the foundry has been abandoned is pretty simple: it doesn't have a direct profit. Sure, you can argue that having the foundry missions to play keeps some people playing when they run out of official content, but there is really no way to "prove" that, because that reason is only inside the person's head and isn't something Cryptic/PW can actually measure. Cryptic/PW can't point to how much money the foundry is making them, therefore they aren't devoting resources into it.

Other games with foundery systems have proven that it "CAN" have direct profit... however it's really not advised to put a price tag on them... pricing models for foundery systems that I've seen have been: 1-free mission slot, must buy more... Limited item access, must buy foundery packs... and the worst offender I've ever seen: P2P foundery missions ontop of an already P2P subscription
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    reiwulf wrote: »
    what has that to do with anything?I've hardly heard anyone ask for personalized loot. most ask for BUGS to be fixed (like each time you use a teleporter in the editor, the quest autocompletes; you can't retrain your caracter or the skills get messed up forever, etc...)
    we want bosses, we want bugs fixed, we want more assets available, we want better rewards for foundry quests,we want people to play our quests. No one is asking for ridiculous stuff.

..............​​

• Options
    edited November 2015
    In his defense... "Better rewards" doesn't necessarily mean "let us pick the loot"... it just means "bump up the value of rewards some"...

If the loot table was say 10 Coin, 5 Gem, 1 Weapon and it rolled randomly on that... then adding "1 armor" to the table doesn't give you more control over loot, it simply adds more types of loot... I beleive thats what they have been asking for essentually...​​
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    raighn wrote: »
    In his defense... "Better rewards" doesn't necessarily mean "let us pick the loot"... it just means "bump up the value of rewards some"...

If the loot table was say 10 Coin, 5 Gem, 1 Weapon and it rolled randomly on that... then adding "1 armor" to the table doesn't give you more control over loot, it simply adds more types of loot... I beleive thats what they have been asking for essentually...

Actually it does mean direct control. His complaint yet if I look at the Foundry improvement threads over at Neverwinter, there are quite a few voicerferous people that believe they should be able to give heroic dungeon level loot rewards to their foundry missions.

While the bugs should be fixed the majority of the complaints have been about not being able to create epic bosses and able to create loot they feel they should in the dungeon. And I know I've seen many say they would give away top tier loot.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    As someone who enjoyed creating and playing foundry missions in STO, I did *not* want to be able to directly control the loot. The devs already put a good reward system in place where in addition to the normal loot drops from NPCs, you get a scaling amount of dilithium(their version of questionite) based on the average mission length. And before anyone starts shouting about exploits, that system is actually about as exploit-proof as you can get, for 2 reasons:

1) because the amount scales based on average mission LENGTH, "1 click" missions give no reward because no time is involved.

2) because the amount scales based on AVERAGE mission length, not your PERSONAL time, there is nothing you can personally do to drag out the time to get a higher reward for yourself.

And since dilithium/questionite is a high level currency that can be traded for zen, that is a pretty nice reward for a foundry mission, IMO.

All of that said, the main reason I don't play many foundry missions in STO is because of an annoyance they refuse to fix, which is that if you are halfway through a 1 hour mission and decided to log off, the next time you are on it doesn't transport you to the last map you were on and you have to jump back through every previous map in the mission to get to where you left off. It's not a major thing, but it is annoying enough that it makes me not want to play foundry missions longer than 30 minutes.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    if you think wanting better rewards for playing the foundry equals choosing the loot for them then you're really wrong.
    Choosing the rewards for each quest would be a dumb thing to do, as it can be clearly exploited.
    Having the general reward level raised to more useful stuff is a very different thing, and it's what most authors want.
    Examples: cosmetic items, campaign currency, more Astral diamonds. That's what most peope want, not Purple or legendary items for a 15 minute run.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    Foundry without a doubt.

If that were part of this game, I wouldn't see myself ever leaving or taking breaks.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    digitalbeachbumdigitalbeachbum Posts: 75 Arc User
    A Foundry won't save this game. The few 300 people who play this game are feeding a cash cow which is on the operating table bleeding out while the surgeon has left the building.

They come up with these lousy items for people to purchase along with costume parts which is cool but 10% of the game. The best thing would be for some one with a love of MMO/gaming to come along any purchase it away from these hosers and save the game by really making it a MMORPG. Oh how I'm reminded of those promises that this game would be like the old PnP Champions. It is nothing like the original game and it is a travesty to the memory of Champions RPG.
  • Options
    champions rpg is still going 6th edition​​

• Options
    There are way more than 300 people playing. There are 300 on steam alone most of the time, and steam is only a fraction of the total. Most people use the base launcher or arc.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

There are way more than 300 people playing. There are 300 on steam alone most of the time, and steam is only a fraction of the total. Most people use the base launcher or arc.

Is there anyway to confirm this though? No being a smart @ss, but I have no clue how to get the arc numbers.
    Confirm what? That the majority of people don't use steam? No, I don't have those numbers either, but the fact that ARC is the default launcher if you download the game from the website pretty much makes it common sense. More people are going to be playing on whatever is the default option than otherwise.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Following up on my previous post, while this certainly is not any kind of "proof", I was curious about this very issue yesterday and decided to post a poll on each of the boards of the 3 games I play. While the Champs poll does not have many votes, you can see from all 3 polls that the majority of people who voted play either on ARC or the default game:

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1208784/what-program-do-you-use-to-launch-sto

http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1203725/what-program-do-you-use-to-launch-champs

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1209084/what-program-do-you-use-to-launch-nw

At most Steam is 1/3 of the overall number.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    bobsy26bobsy26 Posts: 212 Arc User
    The benefit of Foundry is longevity. Content creation in CO is slow-to-never, so farming out content creation to the player base (who are already being creative all the time, due to the excellent costume editor) would be an economical move. Especially if it could be monetised through the Z-store.
  • Options

During the Taco Halloween special I was looking at the number of people online between the three servers/shards and it was hovering around 300 during that time frame.
  • Options

During the Taco Halloween special I was looking at the number of people online between the three servers/shards and it was hovering around 300 during that time frame.
    If you are referring only to MC, that could possibly be true. If you are referring to the entire game, it definitely isn't. The number of people you see when you look at the MC instances doesn't include all of the people in Alerts or all of the other game zones. There have actually been 2 zones of Club Caprice for the last week or so, and all of the people in there aren't even included in the MC numbers. And I'd also guess that half of the people online at any given time are in and out of Alerts.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Is that you again, Next?​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited December 2015

If you are referring only to MC, that could possibly be true. If you are referring to the entire game, it definitely isn't. The number of people you see when you look at the MC instances doesn't include all of the people in Alerts or all of the other game zones. There have actually been 2 zones of Club Caprice for the last week or so, and all of the people in there aren't even included in the MC numbers. And I'd also guess that half of the people online at any given time are in and out of Alerts.
    It topped out at 350 on one evening and I see how it varies from time zone to time zone. When I get up in the morning I see less people, but in the evenings and weekends I see more.

I just looked at it tonight and there wasn't more than 300 online through the MC view.

• Options
    chaelk said:

champions rpg is still going 6th edition​​

I know. However my memories of playing the PnP version of Champions was what was presented to us during the early stages of development. It was one of the stories I was told and caught me hook, line and sinker to purchase the lifetime subscription.

I recall chatting with them, including his name who won't be spoken, and I was specifically told things like there would be a dynamic story-line and you'd have strength and weaknesses like Superman has, that there would be this amazing crafting skill set, that there would be a Nemesis and they would constantly hound you and make game play more exciting.

After quitting WoW I was ready for something new and I thought CO would be it.
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

A villain expansion would be neat, there would be no need for Super-Heroes without villains. Villains and heroes go hand in hand. I see no issue with us playing as one.

That was one of my earliest suggestions but I was told there would be a dynamic Nemesis portion of this game which would be amazing. The Nemesis would be specific to each hero and they would constantly keep you on your toes.

I'm still wondering when they will get it up to speed.
  • Options
    BTW I had never tried DCUO until today and while it is different and cool looking.. it's the same old hash with a different garnish. The content seems more refreshing but other people I've talked to said it gets old pretty quickly because it repeats itself.

I like that I'm up against some infamous villains. I like the Brainiac story line. I like the graphics.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

It topped out at 350 on one evening and I see how it varies from time zone to time zone. When I get up in the morning I see less people, but in the evenings and weekends I see more.

I just looked at it tonight and there wasn't more than 300 online through the MC view.

Yes, that jives with everything I said in my previous post. Again, MC is just MC, not the entire game. I decided to do a quick look around the zones, and as of about 15 minutes ago here are the numbers:

http://imgur.com/a/dM3JZ

So MC + Powerhouse + Caprice + Desert + Canada + Monster + Vibora + Vibora Alerts + Cybermind + Sky Command = 449. Unfortunately there are a million missions which are their own instance that I have no way of checking, so there is really no way to get an accurate number. And obviously, there are just the people playing right now, at this particular time. Who knows how many more regularly play the game but just aren't on right now.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

BTW I had never tried DCUO until today and while it is different and cool looking.. it's the same old hash with a different garnish. The content seems more refreshing but other people I've talked to said it gets old pretty quickly because it repeats itself.

I like that I'm up against some infamous villains. I like the Brainiac story line. I like the graphics.

Yea, DCUO has more content, and gives the player a sense of involvement. Even the endgame solo challenges are unique and story driven. It gets old, like every other MMO, but the creator is a huge turnoff, hence I alternate between CO and DCUO.

DCUO is solid though, just limited. CO is also solid, but limited lol, in content. Seems like every hero game has its' turn offs. Marvel has no creator, DCUO has a creator, but it is limited, while CO has the best creator, but limited in content, I am like "Someone please get it together lol, anybody"

If you combined all three . . . you'd have a superstar mmo. :expressionless:

But seriously DCUO impresses me less than any other superhero game I've played, mmo or single player just because of the idiotic gear grind, and the whole CR thing.

That and the fact that I can't actually create my own kryptonian. Not in the way I expected when I first launched the game.

I still play it from time to time, slowly leveling my ice and fire tanks, but if I had a choice between it, the marvel mmo, and CO, DCUO would be dead last. Every damn time.
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

Yea, DCUO has more content, and gives the player a sense of involvement. Even the endgame solo challenges are unique and story driven. It gets old, like every other MMO, but the creator is a huge turnoff, hence I alternate between CO and DCUO.

DCUO is solid though, just limited. CO is also solid, but limited lol, in content. Seems like every hero game has its' turn offs. Marvel has no creator, DCUO has a creator, but it is limited, while CO has the best creator, but limited in content, I am like "Someone please get it together lol, anybody"

I know right? I mean, come on already? Can't you people get it together and stop being so inconsistent? I had really high expectations for CO and it was all based on what I was being told in the Dev chats. However, each chat it became clear, "no, we won't be doing this" or "we had to tone this down" or "we modified the feature/removed it because it didn't fit in"
  • Options
    jakeesanjakeesan Posts: 32 Arc User
    holy crap. Where to start. As someone who has played on and off since early access, I cant fully explain how frustrated I am with what has NOT been done with this game of such great potential.

First, raise the damn level cap and give us some new zones already.
    Second, add some new powers, especially a plant power char
    Third, We need a REAL expansion. Let us have an entire villain story line as the Champs have. A full 1 through whatever level cap play through as a bad guy or grey hero. I cant believe this hasnt been done yet.
    Fourth, add some new physics. No excuse for not being able to pick up and throw a bad guy.
    5th, unlock the powers for for the p2p players. It should be way more viable to make any hybrid anyone can conjure up. Silvers can still be class locked.
    6th, elemental melee. Let ice/fire/elect etc have conjured weapons representing their element/power. Not like we dont have the animations in place from the other melee classes
    7th, stop with the vehicle obsession. it is utterly ridiculous.
    PWE killed this game. It's just sickening what has happened to my wonderful CO :(
  • Options
    jakeesan wrote: »
    holy crap. Where to start. As someone who has played on and off since early access, I cant fully explain how frustrated I am with what has NOT been done with this game of such great potential.

First, raise the damn level cap and give us some new zones already.
    Second, add some new powers, especially a plant power char
    Third, We need a REAL expansion. Let us have an entire villain story line as the Champs have. A full 1 through whatever level cap play through as a bad guy or grey hero. I cant believe this hasnt been done yet.
    Fourth, add some new physics. No excuse for not being able to pick up and throw a bad guy.
    5th, unlock the powers for for the p2p players. It should be way more viable to make any hybrid anyone can conjure up. Silvers can still be class locked.
    6th, elemental melee. Let ice/fire/elect etc have conjured weapons representing their element/power. Not like we dont have the animations in place from the other melee classes
    7th, stop with the vehicle obsession. it is utterly ridiculous.
    PWE killed this game. It's just sickening what has happened to my wonderful CO :(
    ONE : Give us a big Dev team like the other two games.(40+ vs about 5 names I've seen.)
    Level cap : see one^^
    new powers : see one^^
    what entire villain storyline? go hunt through the hero games website and find a load of villains to make storylines with, and see one ^^
    Physics , see one^^
    Unlock the powers how? remove prereqs, so people can just fill their builds with all the OP powers without worrying about anything else. - see one^^
    comes under powers - see one^^
    need money coming in --- to get one.​​

• Options
    a1fighter wrote: »

Is there anyway to confirm this though? No being a smart @ss, but I have no clue how to get the arc numbers.

Confirm what? That the majority of people don't use steam? No, I don't have those numbers either, but the fact that ARC is the default launcher if you download the game from the website pretty much makes it common sense. More people are going to be playing on whatever is the default option than otherwise.

Well, I found out about CO through Steam, because it is a big time platform, compared to Arc. I don't play through Arc, although it is the original launcher. Steam is just more appealing to me. All my games are there, no need to open the Arc launcher, but that is just me of course. however, i doubt the number of Arc players would be anymore than the steam players, maybe even less. of course i am throwing darts, I cannot confirm this, but there does not appear to be a great deal of players online in-game.

actually the original launcher is the exe file. all ARC does is , open the exe file. I still use the exe file​​