test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

getting fed up with dcuo so how is champions online?

1235»

Comments

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    tehpaws said:

TF Prime Takara line had poorly cut stickers replacing most of their paint, and horrible miss-colored warts for minicon ports. The little build-it-yourself minicon weapons were the only thing Takara had over Prime in the US.

Sorry, it's unrelated to the main topic, but I couldn't just leave that lying down.

Seriously Hasbro are d**ks they like Fine Bros of toys they didn't invent the stuff they famous for but sure like to pretend they did ^_^

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2016
    SHUTTEL NOT JETT, Hasbro!

Blast Off is SHUTTEL NOT JETT!

*sob*
    Good thing I waited for Takara version.
    *sob*

a1fighter wrote: »
    Again, I am not one of those extreme folks, more power to those individuals for being fanboys of their era.
    Sure as hell you may pretend not being extreme but you are contemptous as **** calling people out for not liking the same games as do you. Unless this time term "fanboi" was just an urthodox compliment, lol.

Oh, wait. I bet they're also not "true superhero fans".​​
    a1fighter wrote: »
    Also, you don't like CO? My point is, you have no idea what games I like or play, chill, it is just a forum, no need to catch feelings.
    Still playing this game, not DCUO. Should explain how much I "dislike" CO.

I'm not the one with feelings hurt over the people not wanting to give a try to the same game I like...​​
    I think the life lesson here that we have all learned that the below is the greatest Super Hero'ish (I said ish k ) game ever made.

Just for that bit where Megatron says Prime dose not have the manifolds and Prime is like I HAVE THE MANIFOLDS!
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    why do I get the feeling from that last sentence, it should be listed as ERP rather than RP.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    chaelk said:

why do I get the feeling from that last sentence, it should be listed as ERP rather than RP.​​

I kid you not thats an actual conversation in the game.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I think that the original question in the title of this thread has been addressed and that this thread has been going nowhere apart from a particular poster repeating that DCUO is "superior" and "better".

Unless we somehow manage to get on track with the actual topic of the thread without repeating what has been said before maybe it's time to close this thread before more pointless arguments come up.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    A1... The problem is that you're using facts to try to turn your opinion into truth. Everyone here knows that of all the superhero MMOs, Champions has the least players. This is not new information, and no one is disputing this claim, nor are they in denial. What people are telling you is that having more players does not make the game better, because "better" is an opinion, and not a fact. Believe it or not, the community here has played many games, and plays this one because they think that on some levels, this game is better than many others. It's not out of some sense of duty that they hang on for dear life to Champions, it's just because they like the game. Having more players doesn't make it a better game. It just makes it a higher-populated game. No one here is getting emotional as you claim. Frustration at your broken record argument, maybe. You keep saying that the other games are better and your evidence is that they have more players. That the other games are doing something right, apparently, and this game should try to be more like them. Have you considered that after playing all of the superhero MMOs, these people chose Champions, without someone having to hold a gun to their heads? There is no denial, there is just people playing this game because they find it more fun than whatever the other games are doing, regardless of current population.
    biffsig.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    You just said the same thing four times in one paragraph.

Yes, it is better "in that respect". More people play those games and nobody is saying otherwise. Having more people playing it only makes it better if the only thing you consider is how many people are playing it. Having a larger population does not make the game more fun in most respects. Champions players have the opinion that Champions is better than all those other games because of the sum of its parts, despite a low population. They think the other games are worse because all the parts that add up to make those games end up being less fun, again, despite the higher population of those games.

The word "better" in the way you've been using it, is an opinion, not a fact. If you say it has a better population, great, that's actually measurable, and no one can or will disagree, but use that as your basis for what game is better overall, and you can expect people to disagree with you for at least two reasons. One, it's just your opinion and not fact. Two, people here don't agree with your opinion (that's why they're here and not talking to you on the DC or Marvel forums).

Your argument is not too much different than "Champions is a better game because it has more powers than DCUO or Marvel Heroes." You take one thing that the game has more of, and use that as a basis for an opinion. That's fine, you can base your opinion on anything you want. But trying to force your opinion on everyone else isn't going to work.

Could I ever convince you that Champions is a better game than the others because it has more pink costumes? What about that it has more clouds in the sky? A bigger moon than any other game (heck, Marvel doesn't even have a moon). More polygons per character. Any one of these arguments, on their own, would you take as factually making this game better than the rest? Because that's how your arguments come off.
    biffsig.jpg
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    a1fighter said:

Having more players does mean the game appeals to more people, therefore superior in that respect. Sure there will be 150 or so people whom like CO, but Marvel and DCUO appeals to more people, that is all i am saying. Those are facts, Marvel and DCUO appeals to more people because more players play it. That does not mean folks do not play nor like CO, just more people play Marvel and DCUO, it is more appealing to more/the most people.

Number of current players is an interesting metric, but it doesn't really indicate quality, if that's your argument. McDonald's sells 225 million burgers per year. Does that mean McDonalds's hamburgers are "more appealing" than, say Five Guys? If your definition of "more appealing" is "units sold" then sure. But that's probably not the way most people would use that phrase.

A point in time measurement of number players is going to be more related to marketing efforts and access to the product. Retention is probably a better measure of "how much does the game appeal to those who've tried it".

CoT has 0 players. It must really suck.

LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    What's the point of coming to this community and telling us that another game, particularly of the same genre, is better and more superior than this game that this community (for the most part) have decided that this is the game they have chosen to dedicate their time into along with participation in its forums, instead of that other game?

Pretty sure CO players have decided that the other game isn't superior if they're spending their time playing CO and not that game. Just quit shoving your opinion into people's mouths and say arrogant things like "it's okay to agree with me lol".

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    a1fighter said:

This may be a grudge thing from past threads, so I will be the bigger man and drop it, peace out.

Claiming you're the "bigger man" is not being the "bigger man". I suppose admitting that you were holding a grudge is something though.

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    This is like arguing about which is the best sports team with hardcore fans...

Surely the team that wins the most is the best team right?

edited February 2016
    More people play CoD than DooM. Thats a fact. What is also a fact is DooM is better than CoD.
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    Did demonocus ever obtain champions or was that humongous fail of argument about other games and definitions of MMO enough to scare?
    just go play Runescape for a while, that will make anything look good. If you're feeling particularly masochistic and want to put our new grind into perspective. Play original Runescape.
    and that's an English grind not Korean.​​

• tehpawstehpaws Posts: 22 Arc User
    chaelk said:

just go play Runescape for a while, that will make anything look good. If you're feeling particularly masochistic and want to put our new grind into perspective. Play original Runescape.

and that's an English grind not Korean.​​

And lo, the streets and the markets and the fields were filled with campfires, alone and without purpose, blocking every passage with their lonely crackling light.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Justin Bieber sells a lot of records. All musicians should try to be like Justin Bieber yeah?

And then I won the argument.
    Yes but how many people actually listen to them, as opposed to ...oh using them for target practice.
    My younger brother did that with some old records.​​

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    chaelk said:

Yes but how many people actually listen to them, as opposed to ...oh using them for target practice.

My younger brother did that with some old records.​​

"Purple Rain?"
    "No!"
    "Sign O' The Times?"
    "Definitely not!"
    "The Batman soundtrack?"
    "Throw it."
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    spinnytop said:

Justin Bieber sells a lot of records. All musicians should try to be like Justin Bieber yeah?

And then I won the argument.

This kind of thread has happened so often in the last 2-3 years.

Justine Bieber audience is most likely female young teenagers, who probably thinks he is great.

CO has an extremely niche audience, who think that this is the game they want to play and it is great because of that. You can see many of them posting in this thread. For this audience CO is great so is Justin Bieber in his own audience.

You could think about CO like a Justin Bieber in videogames. :*
    gandales said:

City of Heroes was Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine. Champions Online is Audioslave.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    Pfft...
    I'll stick with Lady Gaga.​​
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

gandales said:

City of Heroes was Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine. Champions Online is Audioslave.
    My comparison, using a similar metaphor, would be: City of Heroes was Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and Champions Online is Stone Temple Pilots and Alice and Chains.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User

gandales said:

My comparison, using a similar metaphor, would be: City of Heroes was Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and Champions Online is Stone Temple Pilots and Alice and Chains.
    Apt, because I'd much rather listen to STP or Alice in Chains than Nirvana or Pearl Jam (aka "Are you having a stroke, Eddie?").

Although "All Apologies" does make an interesting companion piece for "No Excuses"... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    I knew turning the metaphor to grunge would bring Jon running. :smile:

Much like Champions Online, Audioslave sounded like a great second act. Chris Cornell was an unmistakeable voice looking for a band after a creative funk and a Ben Shepherd on-stage freakout ended Soundgarden. Rage Against the Machine were a band looking for a frontman after Tim Commerford's stunt at the VMA's convinced Zack de la Rocha to bugger off.

Chris Cornell, Tom Morello, and one of the tightest rhythm sections in the business. They should go together like chocolate and peanut butter, right?

Well, on the first album, they did. The second album had one good track ("Your Time Has Come"), and the third album sounded like it was there just to fulfill a record company contract.

Sounds like the development arc of a couple of superhero-themed Cryptic Studios MMOs we know, eh?

(Oh, and for the record, I could listen to Layne and Jerry harmonize all day, Nirvana would have been a perpetual opening act if "Rusty Cage" had gotten the marketing push "Smells Like Teen Spirit" did, and Purple/Tiny Music/No. 4 was the most underrated 3-album run of any rock act at any time.)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    chaelk said:

Yes but how many people actually listen to them, as opposed to ...oh using them for target practice

Enough that he's so rich that he doesn't have to give a **** about anything :smiley: which, according to a1's logic, means everyone making less money than him needs to start doing what he does.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yes but how many people actually listen to them, as opposed to ...oh using them for target practice

Enough that he's so rich that he doesn't have to give a **** about anything :smiley: which, according to a1's logic, means everyone making less money than him needs to start doing what he does.

with my singing, I could make him sound good.
    I combine the inability to carry a tune in a bucket with the inability to hit a note with a large mallet.Though, some of them sound like I have​​

COT kickstarter advertised here. ON these forums, with, several people running the thread, repeatedly bumping it with, "yes, we will" comments.
    that thread is why we have the Off topic section.​​