test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

getting fed up with dcuo so how is champions online?

Comments

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

Was playing around with the CoH creator, and their pieces looked more crisp than CO...no clue why that is.

The animal parts look like animals; in CO, some look realistic, while others appear very cartoon-like.

DCUO's art style is A1, hence their body pieces look waaaay cooler than CO's.

Fresh......

I used to think that, too, until I realized that most other players' heroes looked almost the same as mine.
    Just not enough variation, to say nothing of having to earn/find costume pieces for each new hero.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User

a1fighter said:

Was playing around with the CoH creator, and their pieces looked more crisp than CO...no clue why that is.

The animal parts look like animals; in CO, some look realistic, while others appear very cartoon-like.

Fresh......

I used to think that, too, until I realized that most other players' heroes looked almost the same as mine.
    Just not enough variation, to say nothing of having to earn/find costume pieces for each new hero.
    Even the body sliders. I mean, pretty much every character I ever saw in DCU had that exact same "striker" body that you see in the pics above.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    try the female shapes, you can have large medium and small in top heavy​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    a1fighter said:

Even the body sliders. I mean, pretty much every character I ever saw in DCU had that exact same "striker" body that you see in the pics above.

The stances are pretty much the same across characters, similar to CO's Heroic stance, which I see quite often. However, characters do not look the same lol, not at all. Was in the broker while reading this, and the 10 or so characters around me were very distinguishable.

Here is a list of the pieces in DCUO, there are quite a few.

http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Costume_Style_Sets

Pretty hard to look the same as anyone else.

The combination of the same stances and predominating body type (out of only a few choices anyway) just wore on me. There are not many costume pieces in DCUO, at least not at the start of a new hero, that break up your character's silhouette. So in my mind's eye, I keep seeing the same hero again and again wearing different costumes. In Champs and CoH, having sliders, many oddball back pieces, giant claws, asymmetrical costume choices, weird tails, etc., allows for heroes to really be differentiated, aside from the color and style of tights.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

a1fighter said:

Fresh......

The stances are pretty much the same across characters, similar to CO's Heroic stance, which I see quite often. However, characters do not look the same lol, not at all. Was in the broker while reading this, and the 10 or so characters around me were very distinguishable.

Here is a list of the pieces in DCUO, there are quite a few.

http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Costume_Style_Sets

Pretty hard to look the same as anyone else.

Sounds like it's more of people who are/aren't good at using the tailor. COs tailor options blow DCUO out of the water but DCUO does have some interesting pieces (just like CO and CoX). But I can go into both games and find players who don't know how to use the tailor. From my personal experience the CO tailor is easier and more advanced than DCUO

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Yeah, no point arguing with a1 here; he/she has already made it clear that he/she basically dislikes CO and is just here for... well, reasons I fail to comprehend, while waiting for one of the fabled "CO killers" to launch (assuming, at this point, that they ever do).​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    I don't think anyone would deny that CO costume creator is much better than any other superhero MMO, that has nothing to do with the fact that some of us like the DCUO graphic style much more and feel CO style looks very old and dated.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    reiwulf said:

I don't think anyone would deny that CO costume creator is much better than any other superhero MMO, that has nothing to do with the fact that some of us like the DCUO graphic style much more and feel CO style looks very old and dated.

And visa versa....so what are we talking about really? That some like chocolate and some like vanilla?
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

Also, Defender would own Batman :p"

Them fightin words!

Defender is glued to ren cen, I don't see him winning that one. Lol
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited November 2015
    Being generic is what works in favor of CO costume pieces. When parts are overly detailed and not generic enough, it's hard to build a seamless costume with them.
    Can't really say DCUO character models are much better than CO. There was some attempt at realism with them, but they will age much faster. Also, CO has grossly oversized hands and feet, but DCUO has them somewhat shrunk on female models. The difference is, CO has sliders so I can tweak character body proportions (save for missing waist slider for females).
    STO, NW, GW and GW2 are games that struck a perfect balance between a realistic and a stylised look for me, especially in the face department. STO and NW being closest to my ideal.

Also, the polygon count and texture space per character model as a whole must be kept within some reasonable limits. DCUO and MH character models have fewer parts than CO character models, so how heavy are textures and models for separate parts is more limited for CO. There are some parts like character heads and bracers that could use textures in bigger resolution, but otherwise textures and models for CO can't be upped with no limits at all.​​
    Post edited by meedacthunist on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    a1fighter wrote: »
    Being generic is what works in favor of CO costume pieces. When parts are overly detailed and not generic enough, it's hard to build a seamless costume with them.

Can't really say DCUO character models are much better than CO. There was some attempt at realism with them, but they will age much faster. Also, CO has grossly oversized hands and feet, but DCUO has them somewhat shrunk on female models. The difference is, CO has sliders so I can tweak character body proportions (save for missing waist slider for females).

STO, NW, GW and GW2 are games that struck a perfect balance between a realistic and a stylised look for me, especially in the face department. STO and NW being closest to my ideal.

Also, the polygon count and texture space per character model as a whole must be kept within some reasonable limits. DCUO and MH character models have fewer parts than CO character models, so how heavy are textures and models for separate parts is more limited for CO. There are some parts like character heads and bracers that could use textures in bigger resolution, but otherwise textures and models for CO can't be upped with no limits at all.

Doubt most next gen PC games will go the generic route though, in attempt to build seamless costumes. For instance, the dated CoH is not generic, and it works well for them. I just feel CO is lacking visually, that is just me though.

CoH is generic. Their costume parts avoid details pointing too much at from which set the part is when used with other parts.

The word you're looking for is "undetailed", not "generic". As detailed as DCUO costume parts are, the're not very good for mixing without looking as if they're from different sets.

The "next gen" (really, the so-called "next gen" is just an empty buzzword, what it is supposed to mean - a higher polygon count?) will also have higher system requirements.

CO is what it is, it can't go drastically higher with polygon count or texture space without upping system requirements for the game. And requirements for CO are slightly lower than for DCUO or MH. CO costumes are also built with more parts than CoH costumes. Plus, the base body model already has more poligons than CoH base model. A tightly divided and uniform mesh is what CO needs for acceptable looking deformations with body sliders, something that both DCUO and MH don't have and CoH barely had. All this goes into calculation how "heavy" is a complete character model with all costume parts slots used.​​
  • Options
    My issue with CO has little to do with the overly cartoony look, at the end, even if it's not my prefered style, it's a matter of personal taste. My issue with it is the lack of new places to visit. DCUO is constantly adding new places to visit, dungeons raids, etc. (sadly not open world areas)
    We all have different things that we like in videogames, I've realized that I'm heavy on the exploring side of things, that's what I most enjoy in videogames. And for that I need games to constantly add new zones, even just dungeons and stuff like that. I can't remember the last time they added a new place to visit in CO.
    And what I most enjoy in CO is of course that I can pretty much make any hero that I can think about.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2015
    reiwulf said:

My issue with CO has little to do with the overly cartoony look, at the end, even if it's not my prefered style, it's a matter of personal taste. My issue with it is the lack of new places to visit. DCUO is constantly adding new places to visit, dungeons raids, etc. (sadly not open world areas)

Yeah, that's a pretty simple one: CO isn't nearly as financially successful as DCU. That is NOT to say DCU is a "better game"(because that is completely subjective). But there is no arguing DCU has more players and makes more money, and you can't make new content without making the money first.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    you're right it makes less money than DCUO, however the problem isn't only that, it's the lack of vision from cryptic/PWE on a longer term. It's the same with neverwinter, if something doesn't make inmediate money, then it's not worth it to their eyes. New areas would bring lots of people back to CO, but as they can't really monetize it just as easily, then they prefer to give us more lockboxes and other stuff we have to spend money on.
    Even just new comic series (what that their name? I forgot) once a year would be pretty well received. Instead we got vehicles, and the Onslaught system, that, while nice, no one was asking for them.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2015
    reiwulf said:

you're right it makes less money than DCUO, however the problem isn't only that, it's the lack of vision from cryptic/PWE on a longer term. It's the same with neverwinter,

I *wish* we were in the same situation as NW, because they are getting lots of new content on a regular basis. Unfortunately, we are not. I know you have legitimate criticisms of Cryptic and their "vision", but both STO and NW are pretty successful and get new content on a regular basis. Champs is obviously making enough to keep itself going, but definitely not anywhere near the levels of STO or NW, and our level of content production(or lack thereof) proves that.

For reference:

http://steamcharts.com/app/9880

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900

http://steamcharts.com/app/109600

Having said all of that, I've learned to be happy with Champs. No game game lasts forever, but I enjoy Champs for what it is right now, and while it's still around. And hopefully, since Cryptic actually owns the Champs IP, they will make a new and improved version sometime down the road.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    NW and STO have much more new content than CO, that's for sure, specially in the new areas department. But don't be fooled, there are many problems in there that are caused by the same lack of a long time vision from Cryptic/PWE. For example the foundry. One of NW's supposed "pillars", now completely abandoned for years. I can't say much about STO as I've only played it for a few hours though.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Maybe, for once, look it up what the word "generic" means. Because CoH parts are as generic as CO parts. And you're doing great at ignoring explanations why CO can't go overboard with texture details, technical reasons. Compared to CO complexity, CoH models are late stone age. A typical CoH mechanical arm has details like coils and cogs often only painted on textures. A typical CO mechanical arm has details like that modeled in 3d. Sure CoH was using more details on textures. First - they had to, because models weren't very detailed by themselves, second - their character models were simple so even with larger textures a full character model was taking less VGA memory to render.
    Optimalisation is kinda important in making games.

It will be years before VO or CoT will be finished and that's a big IF they will be finished, and then published.
    Personally, I have it hard trying to ignore DCUO failed attempt at realistic character models. Uncanny valley hits me too hard with them. Everyone has the same face, unless they're inhuman. There's no way to change it. The game is behind an average fantasy grinder in this department. And there are no body or face sliders to fix things on your own.

They have better looking maps and environments, but their character models are ugly.​​
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    a1fighter said:

reiwulf said:

you're right it makes less money than DCUO, however the problem isn't only that, it's the lack of vision from cryptic/PWE on a longer term. It's the same with neverwinter,

I *wish* we were in the same situation as NW, because they are getting lots of new content on a regular basis. Unfortunately, we are not. I know you have legitimate criticisms of Cryptic and their "vision", but both STO and NW are pretty successful and get new content on a regular basis. Champs is obviously making enough to keep itself going, but definitely not anywhere near the levels of STO or NW, and our level of content production(or lack thereof) proves that.

For reference:

http://steamcharts.com/app/9880

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900

http://steamcharts.com/app/109600

Having said all of that, I've learned to be happy with Champs. No game game lasts forever, but I enjoy Champs for what it is right now, and while it's still around. And hopefully, since Cryptic actually owns the Champs IP, they will make a new and improved version sometime down the road.
    Would love to see a sequel; it is just not feasible to put much more in CO (Imo). It may prove to be a lost cause, would be best to bring in new players with a fresh game. Just my 2 cents. CO is too far down in the dumps, those Steam charts say CO is pretty much a failing project. of course not everyone plays on steam, but still....
    Sometimes you have to start over to get it right, and superheroes are simply too popular right now for Cryptic/PW not to be thinking about how to make the most money they can with an IP they own. But I'm not saying that's about to happen; it could be years from now. Either way, Cryptic is known for making COH, and I have no doubt they are going to make another superhero MMO eventually.

reiwulf said:

NW and STO have much more new content than CO, that's for sure, specially in the new areas department. But don't be fooled, there are many problems in there that are caused by the same lack of a long time vision from Cryptic/PWE. For example the foundry. One of NW's supposed "pillars", now completely abandoned for years. I can't say much about STO as I've only played it for a few hours though.

Of course there are many problems. You can pick any game on the market right now and I guarantee you someone will tell you it has many problems and make a really great argument to support their claim. So yes, Cryptic's games have problems just like every other game. And no, that doesn't change my point, which was that Champs is performing worse than Cryptic's other games and therefore getting less development.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    they have a bigger population than CO, that's true. But at least NW has turned into a grindfest where if you don't want to pay for advancing your character, you're going to take forever and more. not counting they removed like 75% of the dungeons with module 6 some months ago and most new content now consists in battling heroic encounters in old maps.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2015
    a1fighter said:

reiwulf said:

Wow....I was of the mindset that those games were moving steady, due to the chart numbers. This is troubling. Now, if it were only a CO issue, ok, cool, np, but the same theme appears to be true for other games.
    EVERY game has it's share of issues/problems. Cryptic's games are NO different in that regard. There is one simple obvious sign of any game's health: content development. Any game that is healthy and making good profits is putting out regular content, and both STO and NW are doing that. On the other hand, when a game starts making less and less money, they have to start shrinking the dev team, content development becomes smaller and less frequent, and the game gets into what is commonly called "maintenance mode", which is the bare minimum support needed to keep the game running. I'm not saying Champs has reached that point, as we just recently got the Onslaught system, but it is definitely way behind STO and NW.

Again though, if you want to check on the health of any given game, just pull up their list of recent updates. If there are many and often, the game is healthy. If there aren't, it's a bad sign.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    You're absolutely right, new content needs enough people to pay it of course. But I guess vehicles or Onslaught systems also required quite some work, and maybe that work could have been used other way. (just my opinion of course, maybe some people really enjoyed those)
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    There's also that unavoidable thing called burnout. All kinds of content no matter how frequent can be thrown at the player, but if that player feels that they've had enough of CO's gameplay and want to play something else then they'll take a hiatus, or if there's this new spanking game just released that would take up the player's gaming time.
  • Options
    reiwulf said:

You're absolutely right, new content needs enough people to pay it of course. But I guess vehicles or Onslaught systems also required quite some work, and maybe that work could have been used other way. (just my opinion of course, maybe some people really enjoyed those)

IMO, vehicles and onslaught were the Champs team trying to get the most "bang for their buck" with their limited resources. When you can't put out content on a regular basis, you have to try to make your content have as much replay value as possible. If they make a new mission, people might play it a few times, but then never play it again. However with vehicles and onslaught, they made systems that people will likely be playing for the rest of the game's life. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy more mission type content like Steel Crusade, but I understand why they are doing what they are doing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    I should also add that even though I do not agree with everything Cryptic has done, the main reason this game is in it's current state is plain old "bad luck" that had absolutely nothing to do with Cryptic at all. As most people know, Champs was originally in development as Marvel Heroes Online. But not the dumb(IMO) D&D style gameplay that the current Marvel Heroes has; it would have played just like Champs currently does, just been set in the Marvel IP world. And although this is obviously speculation, I have a feeling that if that game had actually launched, it would be the biggest superhero MMO on the market right now, simply because of how popular the Marvel IP is. So, I guess my point is, it's kind of unfair to blame Cryptic when the biggest reason we have what we have isn't even their fault.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    a1fighter wrote: »
    I what what generic means, but some folks, including myself use it as a broad term to describe the appeal of something. I think CO is generic, so what? What are you going to do about it? Keep arguing? Then what lol? Not going to convince me to change my personal taste, sorry to break that to you. Forbid someone prefers something lol.
    It's what you're doing right now. Keep arguing.
    Seriously, I just wonder why you're here if you think that the game is so terrible and generic. I'd consider it a terrible waste of time trying to pointlessly prove my point while being stuck with the game I can barely look at. CO's not gonna magically redo itself soon, or anytime. Don't like the game? Let it go.
    Unless you don't play CO, but then it makes even less sense...​​
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Saying that CO's costume pieces look "generic" (as derived from "general") compared to CoH makes no sense considering that both games have (or had for one of them) a huge variety of costume pieces across different visual styles made to fit different character concepts in a general sense. Neither of them have complete or majority costume pieces that adhere strictly and specifically to a single visual style or concept to make them stand out uniquely within that context, so both games in terms of their tailors are equally "generic". I hardly think that one looks or feels "generic" compared to the other.

From what I see DCUO have generic-looking costume pieces too but I know for a fact that there are also those that are based off what actual DC heroes and villains actually wear / use, so DCUO's tailoring can be regarded as even less generic, but in turn limits the player from having a more personal and original look when he/she opts to use such pieces, so generic in this case can actually be a good thing.

If the intention was to say that CoH's costume pieces generally look better than CO's, that's debatable, also considering that CoH is based on a much more dated engine.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

The artwork is veeeeeeery generic imo.

I think you're actually, and pretty factually, wrong in this sense.

Generic would mean that the artistic style of the game is very similar to most other games in the genre. Champions has its own style, pretty different from most games out there. It's hardly generic; you can tell it's Champions just by looking at screenshots. It has its own unique look.

When you come down on a game for a specific reason and one of your reasons is a misused word or misunderstood definition, expect people to tell you you're wrong. You're obviously free to have all your own opinions, but when you back those up with words you've misunderstood, expect to have someone disagree with you about it.

Generic describes a widely-used visual style, or rather a lack of a distinct style. Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Age of Conan, all very indistinct styles. World of Warcraft, Wildstar, very distinct styles.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong on your judgment of the styles of the games, but I do think you're using the wrong terminologies to sell your points.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    I don't really get the whole "generic" complains either, CO looks pretty different from other MMOs I've tried.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

snip

Inigo Montoya would have words with you.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User

I should also add that even though I do not agree with everything Cryptic has done, the main reason this game is in it's current state is plain old "bad luck" that had absolutely nothing to do with Cryptic at all. As most people know, Champs was originally in development as Marvel Heroes Online. But not the dumb(IMO) D&D style gameplay that the current Marvel Heroes has; it would have played just like Champs currently does, just been set in the Marvel IP world. And although this is obviously speculation, I have a feeling that if that game had actually launched, it would be the biggest superhero MMO on the market right now, simply because of how popular the Marvel IP is. So, I guess my point is, it's kind of unfair to blame Cryptic when the biggest reason we have what we have isn't even their fault.

A good reminder that City of Heroes remains the only game Cryptic Studios was able to bring from concept to production without some major external drama.

CO: Yinz are probably tired of that story by now. Cryptic secretly starts a project codenamed "Fight Club", a cross-platform Windows/Xbox 360 MMORPG based in the Marvel universe. NCSoft finds out, kicks Emmert and everybody involved with "Fight Club" to the curb, where Atari picks them up. Then Microsoft gets cold feet about MMOs, then Marvel gets cold feet about Microsoft's cold feet, and Cryptic is left holding a Windows superhero MMO, ⅔ of an Xbox 360 superhero MMO, and no lore to base the game in. They buy Hero Games for the Champions setting and now we're here, playing forum PvP because we don't have a proper endgame.

STO: Started by another studio that went bankrupt. Cryptic had a bunch of assets from another engine dumped in their lap and was told that CBS's original launch date was not moving for them. The game finally ships with only 1½ factions.

NW: Originally a lobby-based action RPG with Diablo-like character progression, until Atari sold Cryptic to Perfect World. PWE has a lockbox-funded MMO hammer, and NW looked like a nail, so It became a lockbox-funded MMO. Oh, and it was due to ship within a month or two of the STO expansion that finally finished that missing ½ faction and added a 3rd one, so they had to pull everybody off CO (entirely Cryptic's fault) just as NCSoft killed CoH* (entirely not Cryptic's fault).

Honestly, every day since the day Emmert shook hands with a Marvel exec to start "Fight Club" has been a miracle that Cryptic hasn't been torn apart by chaos.

*: And I'll remind you all again, CoH did not die because of its own revenue alone. Within its own budget, it was making a profit, but not enough to offset the R&D burn of a second game that Paragon Studios continually failed to get off the ground.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

Now that is very interesting, and telling. It has me thinking now, Valiance Online was a fantasy MMO, according to the devs, but they implemented super-hero elements into it (Why? Idk, perhaps it was not as bad as CO's situation). VO is not a full-on super-hero MMO which was in the works from the "blueprint" stages if you will, but nonetheless, having a clear vision, and executed that vision is the goal.

Silverhelm Studios used the engine of a fantasy MMO to start Valiance Online, but that was just so they could get a lot of the back-end stuff out of the way early and concentrate on making the superhero bits. (The pre-alpha that's out there right now doesn't have a whole heck of a lot, but it is multi-"player" and runs on a server.) VO itself always has been, and always will be, a superhero game.

(For the record, Missing Worlds Media started their earliest prototypes of City of Titans in CryEngine, then switched briefly to Unreal Engine 3 before Epic helped them migrate when they released UE 4.)

(Also for the record, if you ever hear about a "plan z" game called Heroes and Villains, it's just a Blender project by an old, deranged CoH forum troll named Golden Girl. Avoid at all costs.)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    For my DC fix I play these games. Justice League Task Force , Batman Returns, The Adventures of Batman & Robin on the Snes, Justice League Heroes on the Xbox, Teen Titans on the GBA, Batman Arkham City on the Wii U and Injustice Ultimate edition on Ps4.

And for making your own DC hero open world madness I play Lego Batman 2 ( no 2 is so much better than 3 or Lego Marvel :I )

Problem with DCUO is that aside some hicups like Superman 64 a lot of DC video games have been amazing and DCUO is well just meh.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!