test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Onslaught Bugs and Balance/QoL Concerns

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Medusa's stun is actually resistible by blocking, but doing so just defers the stun, if you release your block you will be immediately stunned.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,081 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Medusa's stun is actually resistible by blocking, but doing so just defers the stun, if you release your block you will be immediately stunned.

Yeup!

And this is intended since this is how block works vs special CC.
  • Options

And this is intended since this is how block works vs special CC.

There used to be an 'Incoming Hold' status bar for this situation (basically the same as a break-free bar other than not actually being held), but it got deleted when they reworked the hold system a few years back. It would be nice if that were back, other than Medusa there are still a number of NPCs with holds that work like that.
  • Options

There used to be an 'Incoming Hold' status bar for this situation (basically the same as a break-free bar other than not actually being held), but it got deleted when they reworked the hold system a few years back. It would be nice if that were back, other than Medusa there are still a number of NPCs with holds that work like that.

Most CC effects which work this way, with one or two exceptions (*glares at disables*), are pretty easy to see coming, so you can just break LoS or hold down block until you take damage ticks.
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User

Not so much of a bug as Working As Intended.

If that's working as intended then the intention is stupid.

AOs are supposed to supply hold break damage to all types of holds, including stuns. There is zero legit reason why medusa should be a special snowflake whose stuns don't adhere to that rule. Its not like she doesn't do piles of damage that turn non-tanks to slag in seconds, or generate stuns far faster than anyone's AO can cool. (In the bizarre case that a Rec primary AoAC build can have continuously available AOs, which i'm not even sure is true, such a build would die from being *sneezed* on, and Medusa doesn't just sneeze).

Unexpectedly breaking established mechanics is terrible design. Medusa's stuns should be fixed to work like every other stun, or it should be something other than a stun if it must have its own special mechanics.
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 929 Arc User
    I decided to solo the Mega Destroid as Medusa yesterday... and yeah she can stun that thing. She IS a special snowflake!
  • Options
    vonqball said:

I decided to solo the Mega Destroid as Medusa yesterday... and yeah she can stun that thing. She IS a special snowflake!

Yeup, it's really fun to do as Medusa.

You can imagine how messy that would be as players are taking down level 60 Mega D's which can be stunned by Medusa and have their powers interrupted but also would tag players and oh let's not forget Gravitar :P (I guess we'll try it out next anniversary?)
  • Options

AOs are supposed to supply hold break damage to all types of holds, including stuns. There is zero legit reason why medusa should be a special snowflake whose stuns don't adhere to that rule. Its not like she doesn't do piles of damage that turn non-tanks to slag in seconds, or generate stuns far faster than anyone's AO can cool. (In the bizarre case that a Rec primary AoAC build can have continuously available AOs, which i'm not even sure is true, such a build would die from being *sneezed* on, and Medusa doesn't just sneeze).

Unexpectedly breaking established mechanics is terrible design. Medusa's stuns should be fixed to work like every other stun, or it should be something other than a stun if it must have its own special mechanics.

Well, if players facing Medusa were able to simply track stacks of Mind Spikes (as per what I posted in the guide), they'd have zero issues with Medusa's stun.

Unlike her root from TK Spear, it is not unresistable via blocking. You can fully negate the stun by maintaining block, you don't even need an active offensive to do this.

If players are unable to use block in Onslaught...well...they need to learn HOW to use it and when. It isn't difficult to do.

There's a lot of things that break established mechanics and designs in CO, this is just one of them.

Medusa is a higher level Onslaught Boss in terms of ability required to use her effectively (according to Livestream, not my words), but this doesn't mean that players cannot directly counter her mechanics.

I've had plenty of players make intelligent use of their powers to make sure I never stunned them or if I did, they were fully protected and that intelligent use isn't even hard to carry out.

The only way her stuns are truly unbreakable and cannot be combatted by any means is when it's Medusa on Medusa. Since OSV's have no interaction button, they have no break free abilities.

And fighting against players...I'm certain I've seen players who have broken out of the stun before the duration is up, using breakfree damage and active offensives.

• Options

Well, if players facing Medusa were able to simply track stacks of Mind Spikes (as per what I posted in the guide), they'd have zero issues with Medusa's stun.

Unlike her root from TK Spear, it is not unresistable via blocking. You can fully negate the stun by maintaining block, you don't even need an active offensive to do this.

If players are unable to use block in Onslaught...well...they need to learn HOW to use it and when. It isn't difficult to do.

There's a lot of things that break established mechanics and designs in CO, this is just one of them.

Medusa is a higher level Onslaught Boss in terms of ability required to use her effectively (according to Livestream, not my words), but this doesn't mean that players cannot directly counter her mechanics.

I've had plenty of players make intelligent use of their powers to make sure I never stunned them or if I did, they were fully protected and that intelligent use isn't even hard to carry out.

The only way her stuns are truly unbreakable and cannot be combatted by any means is when it's Medusa on Medusa. Since OSV's have no interaction button, they have no break free abilities.

And fighting against players...I'm certain I've seen players who have broken out of the stun before the duration is up, using breakfree damage and active offensives.

This isn't about balance. This is about design principles.

There should be one and only one mechanic called 'stun'. It should operate the same in every context it occurs. To do anything else is terrible design, and obfuscates mechanics to players whose only real documentation is the language that is used.

As it stands now, it is basically lying by obfuscation. If it won't behave as a stun, and the mechanics are to remain unchanged, call it something else!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

There should be one and only one mechanic called 'stun'. It should operate the same in every context it occurs. To do anything else is terrible design, and obfuscates mechanics to players whose only real documentation is the language that is used.

As it stands now, it is basically lying by obfuscation. If it won't behave as a stun, and the mechanics are to remain unchanged, call it something else!

Then you appear to be in the wrong thread then, if you aren't discussing how to balance things out.

Even before Onslaught became a thing, there were and still are multiple types of Stun.

And no, I don't mean Crowd Control/Holds, I mean the sub version of CC called Stuns.

1- There are normal stuns which behave in the manner they are described.

2- There are SPECIAL Stuns which affect all enemies regardless of rank (This applies to, Legendary and Cosmics as well as everyone else) and are twice as powerful as normal stuns.

3- And there are NPC Stuns which interact with player resistances in such a way that active player resistances, such as BLOCK are bypassed entirely.

Medusa's stun is a SPECIAL stun BUT it can be blocked and fully negated by active player resistances and a little bit of patience, aka Blocking.

There's nothing much to understand, as it stands there are counters in place and it isn't exactly like you aren't able to track when you're about to be stunned, you can even prevent it.

Her mechanics don't need to be adjusted or nerfed because some players don't want to use mechanics at their disposal to counter her powers.
  • Options
    Bug Addition: Villainous Ventriloquy

Add Ego Blade Breach to this list. This is playing Medusa's Voice Over, as the VFX for the attack TK Breaker, is the same as Rank 3 Ego Blade Breach, so since the SFX was added and paired with the VFX...Ego Blade Breach shares the SFX of Medusa's TK Breaker
  • Options
    Villain Power Bugs & Concerns: Medusa

Medusa's TK Spear does not consistently apply Nailed to the Ground to targets for unknown reasons. This is especially true vs targets who have been NTTG'd then received Freedom then the Freedom buff has worn off.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    If I am a melee toon with a Medusa in the room attacking me, I have two options:
    1. Run away and be unable to attack because you need to stay out of range of your own attacks. If you have NTTG applied, that's not really doable since Medusa can easily keep up which only leaves:
    2. Stand there and block until Medusa gets bored.

Neither of those options are fun.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 929 Arc User
    I always go with option 3... recklessly charge in, get in one eruption and (maybe) a haymaker...and get cut down by a contemptuous sweep of her glowstick.
  • Options
    sterga said:

If I am a melee toon with a Medusa in the room attacking me, I have two options:
    1. Run away and be unable to attack because you need to stay out of range of your own attacks. If you have NTTG applied, that's not really doable since Medusa can easily keep up which only leaves:
    2. Stand there and block until Medusa gets bored.

The third option is even less fun:

3) Don't participate in Onslaught.

The fourth option is quite good though:

4) Team up with support orientated players who can provide meaningful support to your character.

But on a more serious note, I am surprised that more and more players aren't actually teaming up and taking advantage of each other's possible support abilities.

Of course doing so would make it more difficult for players to die, so the way that Villains gain tokens will need to be adjusted to either gaining tokens via:

- Onslaught Hotspots: Various areas on Millennium City's map which grant bonus Villain/Guardian Tokens for remaining in and engaging in combat in. The longer you remain in an area (based on a 20 minute timer) the more tokens you can accumulate either as a hero or a Villain.

- Onslaught Targets: Have increased token rewards for engaging and successfully defeating. Similarly, healing/supporting/defending Onslaught Targets yields a certain amount of tokens for heroes involved/ in a certain area. (Would require UNTIL Defenders to have a considerable damage reduction and a slight boost to HP and be classed as Friendly (Tough) targets.)

Onslaught is by no means perfect and as we can see, the Developers are making fixes to bring the event up to scratch, which is very promising.
  • Options
    sterga said:

If I am a melee toon ...

Really, all of the words in between are unnecessary, particularly if they engage in jumping.
  • Options
    I had someone healing me for over 15 seconds of Medusa stuns. That wasn't fun either. Being killed would have been less icky.

Don't worry! Many people have already opted out so you are free to keep killing npcs.
  • Options

Then you appear to be in the wrong thread then, if you aren't discussing how to balance things out.

It's the bug and QoL thread. This is a concern for both that has nothing to do with Onslaught balance. Its terrible for players if Cryptic doesn't use unambiguous definitions for effects because the term is no longer informative or useful for describing powers, and it's terrible design on cryptic's part if they don't have unambiguous definitions for effects (and therefore a bug).
  • Options
    So, has anyone noticed supervillains using back-up devices? I'm pretty sure I saw it happen today with a Nighthawk device.
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    The problem with using turrets for defense is that...well, they're turrets. In the game as a whole, turrets tend to be really delayed on how fast they activate, especially if it's the kind that needs to pop up. I'd suggest that the turrets near Kodiak should be replaced by some sort of mobile entity. As is, there's still people hovering around that spawn and still a lot of fights in Little Italy. Thankfully, it's not as bad as it was when the Onslaught Vendor was so close but it's still a problem.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    sterga said:

So, has anyone noticed supervillains using back-up devices? I'm pretty sure I saw it happen today with a Nighthawk device.

If you activate an uncontrolled pet with a limited duration (such as a backup) before transforming, it remains after transforming (until its normal duration expires). You cannot, however, activate a backup (or other device pet) after transforming.
    zamuelpwe said:

The problem with using turrets for defense is that...well, they're turrets. In the game as a whole, turrets tend to be really delayed on how fast they activate, especially if it's the kind that needs to pop up. I'd suggest that the turrets near Kodiak should be replaced by some sort of mobile entity. As is, there's still people hovering around that spawn and still a lot of fights in Little Italy. Thankfully, it's not as bad as it was when the Onslaught Vendor was so close but it's still a problem.

People are there because that's where you can find people to fight.
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    zamuelpwe said:

Thankfully, it's not as bad as it was when the Onslaught Vendor was so close but it's still a problem.

No the fights occurring there is not the problem. And trying to move them yet again will cause an actual problem of not being able to find villains to fight with a group of heroes.

The problem is that this content is not useful for new players.

People are there because that's where you can find people to fight.

This. The reward structure requires that there exist a consistent location for people to find heroes and villains to fight. In fact, it'd be great if they actually showed villains on the map and make them even easier to find.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,043 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Bug/Exploit/Whatever: The Ventor in F.A.Q states that "Genetic Exhaustion Penalty occures when a players removes early the Device from the tray to cancel the villain Become, Penaltized the player with 1 Hour Debuff that prevents him from using another OSV device

However, this Debuff is nowhere to be found, a specific player ingame (shall not be named) exploits this by removing the device (while running aways) when he is about to kick the bucket, denying Guardian Tokens... then he goes to buy another OSV! and he does that all day

I'm pretty sure Genetic Exhaustion Debuff is not even in the code yet​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    The turrets aren't reliable. In some areas villains can stand on top of them and they won't do anything.
    (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/nightshade001/bcd674e3-2aff-4740-a7b9-02c8d50cb42b_zpsoiskuizp.jpg) An example of this happening in ren center.

The latest nerf to the turrets was too much, their damage is now a joke when they do manage to fire. The turret near Kodiak can be avoided by placing Kodiak's truck between you and it, and the one near the prison spawn point can be avoided by standing on top of Surhoff's tent.
  • Options
    Removing the device (to run away), and its reverse exploit (turret diving) would be fixed by changing how Guardian Points are awarded. In general I'd be in favor of something that is primarily based on time and activity. If some brave level 8-15s decide to engage an OV (this happened to me last night), well, they're honestly not going to get any guardian points from the effort, they don't do enough damage, unless some 40s swoop in and start nuking the villain, or the villain turret dives. If I'm wandering around the city and one or two heroes decide to engage, again, they might feed me kills but they aren't going to do enough damage to get them any credit. Something activity based (say, you get a point every time you attack an OV, with an internal cd of 12s) would make it not a total waste of time to engage OVs if you don't have a mob of 40s.
  • Options
    avianos said:

Bug/Exploit/Whatever: The Ventor in F.A.Q states that "Genetic Exhaustion Penalty occures when a players removes early the Device from the tray to cancel the villain Become, Penaltized the player with 1 Hour Debuff that prevents him from using another OSV device

However, this Debuff is nowhere to be found, a specific player ingame (shall not be named) exploits this by removing the device (while running aways) when he is about to kick the bucket, denying Guardian Tokens... then he goes to buy another OSV! and he does that all day

I'm pretty sure Genetic Exhaustion Debuff is not even in the code yet​​

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaah, believe it or not...I actually stated this on the PTS thread but...*shrugs*
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Fighting a Medusa using the Aethyric Flight Incantation today was pointless and frustrating.

An OV with that much mobility is crazy difficult.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options

Fighting a Medusa using the Aethyric Flight Incantation today was pointless and frustrating.

Yet another fix that hasn't made it to live. In that case, anyone with NTTG (including another OV) can knock them out of the air and they'll be stuck, but absent that, yes, life will suck for you.
  • Options
    carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 723 Community Moderator
    As per a discussion in the PTS thread with @ladygadfly, I updated "Villainous Ventriloquy" in the OP with all the powers that trigger the voiceovers. @notyuu mentioned that Shockwave triggers Grond's voiceovers, but I haven't been able to replicate this. If anyone has more information about that, I'd love to know.

I should have time this weekend to make a more thorough update to the lists, based on all the recent feedback.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaah, believe it or not...I actually stated this on the PTS thread but...*shrugs*
    That's pretty sad :|

As per a discussion in the PTS thread with @ladygadfly, I updated "Villainous Ventriloquy" in the OP with all the powers that trigger the voiceovers. @notyuu mentioned that Shockwave triggers Grond's voiceovers, but I haven't been able to replicate this. If anyone has more information about that, I'd love to know.

I should have time this weekend to make a more thorough update to the lists, based on all the recent feedback.

She said Nuclear Shockwave does, not the regular Might Shockwave.
    Tested it, Might's Shockwave doesn't have any Voice Over
    i'm 200 villain tokens away from purchasing Lance Rain, I could buy Nuclear Shockwave for Science... but ehm...
    everyone says the damage is horrible so I will avoid​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    rebelscum58rebelscum58 Posts: 70 Arc User
    Got another voiceover one for you: The Grondling mobs in various places in the Desert play Grond's voiceovers when they use whichever power it is that throws rocks - it's Grond's number 2 power I think, but I forget the name of it.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    The voice over stuff also affects Nemesis (at least those using Force, I don't know about the others).
  • Options

Got another voiceover one for you: The Grondling mobs in various places in the Desert play Grond's voiceovers when they use whichever power it is that throws rocks - it's Grond's number 2 power I think, but I forget the name of it.

draogn said:

The voice over stuff also affects Nemesis (at least those using Force, I don't know about the others).

Aaahahaha! :lol:

• Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    Adding voiceovers was just a bad decision all around, I believe. There wasn't really a need for it and it gets kind of irritating after a while playing the actual OV's.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    BUG:
    when playing a villain, you may get a free instaheal to full without doing anything.
    I had it on Grond, doing nothing but attacking, no devices apart from villain active and I suddenly went from 1/3 to full.

This seems to be similar to a problem we had with Psimon and someone else in alerts, getting to 1/3 then healing to full, a few years ago.

BUG:
    Players are able to use legacy devices while a Villain.
    The villain device should be like vehicles, when it is active, ALL other devices are turned off.

Solution:
    copy the program off the vehicles code. They manage to turn everything off.

Problem:
    as I pointed out in the first thread, villains can get a target by simply getting in the way, of someones attack. This includes low level characters.

Suggestion:
    1. Move the turrets to the front of the area Kodiak is in.So the truck doesn't block line of sight.
    2. Change it to a toggle on . You choose fight villains, the state turns on and your timer starts.
    If you don't have this turned on, while attacking, you do NO damage to them.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    chaelk said:

Solution:

copy the program off the vehicles code. They manage to turn everything off.

No they don't. There are a number of device powers that keep functioning after getting into a vehicle.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    someone has pointed out in the News thread, they may be using the crafted versions of the devices, which won't register the same.
    Dark speed also has an old and new version.

also;
    ones like Necrullic elixir, which turns on, adds the buff and then counts as being off. Ones that turn on something which works for a time, are only considered on for when you activate it.
    That would need something to CANCEL device buffs.
    same with summon powers- you summon the pets. Change to a villain, your pets are still there. The power is only actually active or on , when you click it.

onslaught%203a_zpsm1f9sjkv.png

onslaught%203b_zpsvfcbtiog.png

also, refuse to fight villains hanging around Kodiak. If they can't find anyone to fight, they won't stay there. Tell them go to the prison vednor.​​

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    One-shotted by Nighthawk Backup! device by a player using Medusa.

So far, OVs can use Backup!, dinos, nightmare generators, and some type of healing device--not sure what it is yet.

There is a SG that routinely has 2 or 3 players at a time using devices like this. It makes the Onslaught slog even worse.

*sigh*

I just want the power unlocks. I just want this to be over.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    One-shotted by Nighthawk Backup! device by a player using Medusa.

Oh hey, the same happened to me, with a Medusa player using Nighthawk Backup to One Shot everyone, it must be the same Person! (who I putted on ignore since then)​​
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Updated the OP.

So far, OVs can use Backup!, dinos, nightmare generators, and some type of healing device--not sure what it is yet.

I think the healing still stems from heroes using Sentinel Mastery, which wasn't completely fixed in the most recent patch.

I've heard that, despite the latest patch, travel devices still remain active after an OV transformation. Can anyone confirm/deny?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I've heard that, despite the latest patch, travel devices still remain active after an OV transformation. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Confirmed, but on actual Travel Power
    Mystic Flight stays as Villain​​
  • Options
    Thanks for the confirmation!

I popped a quick comment in the Release Notes thread regarding the nonfunctional fixes. Hopefully they get some additional programming love.
  • Options
    Thanks for the confirmation!

I popped a quick comment in the Release Notes thread regarding the nonfunctional fixes. Hopefully they get some additional programming love.

and now i see it, R.A.D Sphere (the legacy Travel power, not the Device, the Device was discarded years ago) works TOO

seem all the Legacy Travel Powers and their Q-store Reskins have the same problem​​
  • Options
    Dark speed also works, though it's useless.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    So does the Q store lightning flight TP (I forgot the exact name and can't log into CO at the moment).
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    avianos said:

and now i see it, R.A.D Sphere (the legacy Travel power, not the Device, the Device was discarded years ago) works TOO

seem all the Legacy Travel Powers and their Q-store Reskins have the same problem​​

Quick unrelated question: How do we get the legacy travel powers? I have a R.A.D. Sphere device and a Stormrider device, but it doesn't unlock those legacy TPs for me. (It's instead unlocking the q-store ones, which are not the same travel power).
  • Options
    spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 635 Arc User
    There are a number of Onslaught bugs, exploits and balance concerns that this forum has brought up that may improve the Onslaught system but I don't know that balance can be reached in an open world environment. I think it's worth looking into an alert or rampage style option to queue villains and heroes into. Without having a more closed and controlled system I think there will continue to be balance issues. One of the biggest issues I have seen is the number of villains vs heroes can be extremely imbalanced. I would also give villains tokens for more than just killing heroes.
  • Options

seem all the Legacy Travel Powers and their Q-store Reskins have the same problem

Quick unrelated question: How do we get the legacy travel powers? I have a R.A.D. Sphere device and a Stormrider device, but it doesn't unlock those legacy TPs for me. (It's instead unlocking the q-store ones, which are not the same travel power).

if you got the devices and USED them before On alert, the powers should be available at the bottom of your list. If you got the items after On alert, you don't get them.​​

• Options
    chaelk wrote: »
    if you got the devices and USED them before On alert, the powers should be available at the bottom of your list. If you got the items after On alert, you don't get them.

I remember people reporting that they bought a Legacy Crafted Device (AFTER on-alert) and it didn't unlock the Travel Power Account Wide!
    It saddens me to see that this is true :|​​
  • Options
    Villains can still be healed. It happened to me twice yesterday in a single fight. Kinda disappointing to play the villain and suddenly being full health. As far as I know, Sentinel Mastery is only 2% of HP per second max. I had two green number popping over my head and neither one of them was 60k. Plus, with not actually having Sentinel anything on my character, I shouldn't be getting healed by enemy buffs anyway. I'm thinking there is another healing bug / cheat going on.