What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's your first opinions of Onslaught

13»

Comments

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Like it, but it could do with some additional work.
    There's a stupid UI feature in CO: there's a controls setting of "Target threatening enemies first", which defaults to true. What this actually means is that you target foes that have aggro towards you. Pets and NPCs have aggro scores, players do not, and therefore pets and NPCs get priority. Even without that pets are annoying, but nowhere near as annoying.

Oh that just Lovely​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Has potential, but needs a lot of additional work.

And getting 1.2million falldmg is...silly. 1.2 MILLION POINTS OF DAMAGE FROM FALLING DOWN . As

If you're in a situation where you can take falling damage as an onslaught villain, you *had it coming*. It means you were kiting, because you're above grond level.

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Neph's a Brony? I knew she was disappointing, but wow... talk about overkill.

Nope. But everyone knows if you want to find the best 60's spiderman pics go to MLP forums. This is a world truth we need to deal with.

Back to this PvP mode. It hit me . What Cryptic lifted this from...( Ignoring the what the item does become wise ) your basicly using an item to invade zone . We had the Star Wars AT then the Iron Man AT then the GoG Starship now we have the Souls style PvP.

Cryptic seems to be context sensitive to what the kiddies are liking these days.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    UH? This is the farthest thing from Souls PvP. Although, it would be pretty cool to randomly turn into Gaping Dragon and flatten unsuspecting people.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Love it
    iamrune said:

I have noticed an all new problem. Some {I won't say all by any stretch] villain players are waiting til their villain device is half counted down before activating it and attacking players, to prevent players from having the time needed to defeat them, thus denying them most of the Guardian tokens.

The half an hour timer on one needs to reset to the top on activation so such players can be fairly fought in the time allotted.

This is a stupid idea. Not your suggestion, but what those players are doing. What's the benefit in denying people guardian tokens? Especially when you consider the villain player has less time to farm villain tokens. I understand trolling, but this is just pure stupidity.
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    ^ Yeap, that makes no sense! Dying has no consequence... more battling means more villain tokens. Seems like the most annoying behavior (spawn camping and now this) stems from pure ignorance of the mechanics. Camping spawns nets you no VP, running away nets you no VP. I guess I can see running if you need to blow up your targets.. but I get that done first then I brawl (I'm a very professional Grond)... then I die to turrets cuz yeah... I fergit.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    vonqball said:

^ Yeap, that makes no sense! Dying has no consequence... more battling means more villain tokens. Seems like the most annoying behavior (spawn camping and now this) stems from pure ignorance of the mechanics. Camping spawns nets you no VP, running away nets you no VP. I guess I can see running if you need to blow up your targets.. but I get that done first then I brawl (I'm a very professional Grond)... then I die to turrets cuz yeah... I fergit.

People are just being jerks for the fun of it. There's no benefit for doing these things, other than to troll others.

Quite sad really.

But overall, I like Onslaught. It' great fun and I'm getting Guardians pretty quickly. I'm a little surprised by how fast they add up. Villain token OTOH... those are terrible for Silvers to get. :( but I have a feeling that's working as intended. As it makes opening lockboxes or subscribing a more attractive option.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    HATE the Onslaught Villain name over the character head, especially when I'm the villain.

The graphic is hideous like a default Aldus PageMaker star burst from 1993. Maybe Cryptic got a hold of my art portfolio and that is there way of making fun of me, which might be a little funny, but it's just not fair to everyone else to ugly up the place with those title graphics.

This thing can be fun sometimes, but its a big drag to go to the onslaught targets just to kill a robot several times a day. I suppose 'getting around the city' was the goal, but there's too much distance between targets with no fun purpose in being a villain to keep things entertaining.

No matter how powerful six Grond's are, all of Westside stands tall.
    Restaurant tables shrug off the blasts and no windows break.
    Traffic moves through like its a pleasant Sunday drive through Peaceville Park.

I should add that it can be fun rallying a bunch of players into a big fight and trying to keep it interesting. My Gravitar hooked up with a Grond where we took out the targets together and I discovered that Gravitar super jump is exactly the same speed as Grond running and then we fought a bunch of players for 25 minutes where I did exactly zero damage to this one guy attack after attack after attack. Maybe I did damage,but his health bar didn't move.

Oh and its really easy to get into the 'flow' of the giant evil villain game play and start slaughtering low level players caught up in the battle because their aura makes them target-able by using the Tab key.
    Accidental spawnpoint targeting happens.

• Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Love it
    I love it.

I want more objectives, though. The turrets need to be a little smarter, though, and vehicles need to no longer be capable of repelling onslaught villains. Seriously, people are griefing them by pulling them towards hermes turrets.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User

The turrets need to be a little smarter, though, and vehicles need to no longer be capable of repelling onslaught villains. Seriously, people are griefing them by pulling them towards hermes turrets.

The repel weapons on vehicles have poor range. If you were close enough to Kodiak to be pulled into a Turret.. you may have been spawn camping. This is why people started jumping into their vehicles and pulling villain into the turret.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    I found with Medusa, you can target someone in a vehicle jump and fire as you go up and down.
    also useful for players clumped around someone.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Love it

The turrets need to be a little smarter, though, and vehicles need to no longer be capable of repelling onslaught villains. Seriously, people are griefing them by pulling them towards hermes turrets.

The repel weapons on vehicles have poor range. If you were close enough to Kodiak to be pulled into a Turret.. you may have been spawn camping. This is why people started jumping into their vehicles and pulling villain into the turret.

A bold accusation, but people were pulling me as far as from Little Italy.

Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Love it

I can confirm that there are some very determined players that are doing nothing other than dragging people onto the turrets, who were not near the spawn point at all. It's gotten to the point where I'll hang out above the villains in my vehicle, and when I see them getting pulled in by the griefers, I go in and pull them out. And yes, I can pull them all the way back to Little Italy if I wanted. Grav Pulse might have low range, but it lasts a long time and costs little energy, making it easy to pull a long way.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    This is why when I'm a villain I start at the farthest point away on the eastside in the lowest populated zone, then jog my way around the city taking down robots and avoiding heroes. Much less of a headache this way.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Not to my tastes, but don't care.
    Not to my tastes, needs a lot of work to fit my tastes. Quickly driving to dislike due to way it is setup. If this was my thing needs some where between "alot" and "quite a bit" work to fix the various bugs.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Also, really cryptic. Onslaught gear is bind on pickup, but tokens are also bound, and onslaught villain unlocks are 'bound' (only for the character who gets them). Way to ensure that no one is ever going to use the onslaught gear - it's already so situational that few people were going to use it, and now you have to farm on the character that is going to use it? For a game that's supposed to be alt friendly, this is incredibly terrible design.
  • Options
    zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    WHY is the nearest VENDOR NEAR KODIAK? IT's a complete newbie trap. The vendor placement sucks anyway.​​
  • Options
    kemmicals said:

UH? This is the farthest thing from Souls PvP. Although, it would be pretty cool to randomly turn into Gaping Dragon and flatten unsuspecting people.

This is how I see it. Item used to invade zone lifted from Souls and the ability to play as big monster lifted from Evolve . You smudge them two things together and you get this new pvp mode.

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    11:46PM server time. Zone #4.
    15 Minutes as Grond, I saw one player.
    Called out to Zone chat that grond was available for fighting in Westside and zone 4 population dropped from 12 to 7 then went up to 9 but still no players appeared in Westside to collect the easy Onslaught reward before the timer ran out.

I could have maybe entertained myself bouncing around as Grond smashing Onslaught Targets, but for whatever reason the Onslaught Targets get progressively meaner each time I visit one, ie, my hit points seem to deplete exponentially faster so that I can only visit two or three with Gravitar or Medusa at the most and four or five with Grond before the whole game is up.

This content points out a lack of planning.
    They created the useless Ravenswood Academy as part of the map, then reused some old assets for the Onslaught Targets, when they could have made Ravenswood Academy buildings as object assets that were the Onslaught Targets that could actually be destroyed and give us the impression that Grond was actually a menace.

Also, citizens should be Onslaught Targets.
    Some kind of special "Collect the citizens" attack would have been ideal.
    Collecting is a fundamental premise of this whole genre.

Post edited by nextnametaken on
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Love it
    You should have checked zone population before starting if you wanted a lot of heroes to fight. In,add the same mistake on like, second night. It doesn't help that the timer on the free villain tokens even exists. I think that's a real bad way of enforcing the "once per day" rule.

As far as the onslaught targets go, attack from far away and you should only take minimal damage, if any at all. I've managed the three targets with no damage on Grond and Gravitar.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    So far I'm routinely knocking out 10 onslaught targets with Grond or Medusa on my daily jog around MC.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHzDsLaM20

Some of the lines he says makes him sound like a corner drug dealer.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    How about "Not my tastes, and I DO care"

I like how the poll doesn't have an actual dislike option.

Anyways, I don't play the game much at all anymore, but I did log in for a bit to check it out. My real complaint would go towards this taking over the atmosphere of the game, if it has that at all.

No longer can you play through, and enjoy, the westside starting levels of the game, or just in general. It's now overrun with people playing the villains.

The feel of the game, the immersion of the world for your character, has been reduced with the addition of this game mode.

That is my humble opinion on the matter.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    edited September 2015

No longer can you play through, and enjoy, the westside starting levels of the game, or just in general. It's now overrun with people playing the villains.

Nonsense. Complete and total nonsense. If you are familiar with the game you can rezone and play through Westside without even seeing other players.

The feel of the game, the immersion of the world for your character, has been reduced with the addition of this game mode.

How so? It seems like actual "Super Hero fights" going on, instead of "Clobber the crummy criminals".
    There is a lack of breakable objects and buildings in the environment, but it's always been that way, two level 40s can fight to a stand still for 20 minutes without busting a gas pump.
    They completely ignored any sense of immersion for the last six years, this update didn't change anything.
  • Options
    ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User

So far I'm routinely knocking out 10 onslaught targets with Grond or Medusa on my daily jog around MC.​​

How? I ran around as Grond this morning, and by the time I took out three targets I was down to less than a quarter health. Usually the protectors would get in one or two big hits on me before I could take them out.

• Options
    chaelk said:

hey I didn't shoot you when you were standing on the building watching or the other people who were. OK I did say BOO to one of them and they ran off.

got to shoot Nepht, ok stab her.​​

My lack of english made me miss that now I see that. Now your on the fish slap list -_-

• Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User

How? I ran around as Grond this morning, and by the time I took out three targets I was down to less than a quarter health. Usually the protectors would get in one or two big hits on me before I could take them out.

you have to kite them a bit. not hard kite them, but when you see them get the splat up for the big charge up, use a building edge or just bounce back out of their range to ruin the shot, then back in to kill them.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    So...after spending some time with Onslaught, I think it has some great potential, and some pretty big flaws. Unfortunately, unless those flaws are fixed soon, a lot of people will write it off. So hopefully the devs are reading all of this feedback and plan to make some needed adjustments very soon.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Love it
    The villain transform being removed when you get kicked off the server by SNR needs to be dealt with. Since you cannot assure the quality of our connections, it isn't fair to rob us of villain play because the server decided to end our connection.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    nepht wrote: »

hey I didn't shoot you when you were standing on the building watching or the other people who were. OK I did say BOO to one of them and they ran off.

got to shoot Nepht, ok stab her.

My lack of english made me miss that now I see that. Now your on the fish slap list -_-

that's ok. I got Kaiserin and Smackwell , also.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    "So far I'm routinely knocking out 10 onslaught targets with Grond or Medusa on my daily jog around MC."

"How? I ran around as Grond this morning, and by the time I took out three targets I was down to less than a quarter health. Usually the protectors would get in one or two big hits on me before I could take them out. "

Grond is the easiest to work with. I like to unlock some of his bigger powers by attacking low level non-onslaught mobs first. His high end attacks (sorry forgetting the names) can one shot an onslaught Defender. Then you just have to figure out which route to jog along :)​​
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Atom-splitting fist is the perfect move for dealing with UNTIL defenders. Gravitar can 3-shot defenders, while Medusa (allegedly?) 1-shots them, but a well-placed Atomfist will kill a defender 100% of the time without them even getting aggro. Just, make sure you're close to them and facing the right way.

As fun as blasting the hell out of people at spawn with Grond is, I can't imagine it's that great of a first impression for new players. There's a lot of balancing to be done. In a rough order of priority in my horrible opinion:
    • Villain Mobility and Travel Powers - Make them slower by default, their Travel Powers part of their standard combat (with similar loss of speed upon entering combat), and most importantly make them susceptible to NTTG. This is especially important to any melee heroes planning to try battling them.
    • Spawncamping - A high concentration of hero deaths in one place due to onslaught villains has a chance to call in UNTIL troops that back heroes up. (Think a mechanic like GTA stars. Heck, even at higher 'ranks' it could be possible for people like the Champions to show up.) Another possible solution could be that areas with HERMES turrets have a repel effect that can keep Onslaught villains out of the area, and automatically remove 'fighting supervillains' on heroes that are particularly nearby. That'll make it both more difficult for people to get guardian tokens by just being in proxy of a dying supervillain (leeching) and for villains to rack up kills on AFK/new players. (personally though I'm in favor of the first solution on a risk/reward standpoint.)
    • Onslaught Targets - UNTIL defenders should do much less damage, though also build up damage output over time. This makes them plausible, but also somewhat dangerous to attempt to build 'stacks' upon for your Onslaught villain of choice. In addition, make them capable of slowing villains down or otherwise keeping pace with them.
    • Villain Balance - Grond; he can be pretty easily survived as a hero with careful blocking, but in terms of usage as a transform, he's much easier than the other two, requiring very little targeting in hectic situations with 20+ enemies. Medusa's solid as is, and can be very deadly to single targets, though she could use some help in some other way to build her stun buff stacks (which don't seem to always trigger?). Gravitar's annoying to fight, but absolutely terrible at landing kills due to her real high-ranking attacks not being that powerful. Her 7th slot attack should really just be redone, as well as possibly the 4th.
    • Hero Tokens - Let them be useful for gear and unlocks like the Villain Tokens are! All they're around for right now is just letting you unlock and then consequently be a supervillain yourself. Granted yes, the point of Hero Tokens is that they are 'easier' to get, especially for silvers, and let them lead into the main part of Onslaught, but then why not let them unlock items that are less powerful than the Villain Token items? Stuff like legacy unlocks or power replacer primaries could be ok. Even if this has a chance to erroneously cut players off from unlocking Onslaught villains earlier, it still seems a bit odd that choosing the 'good' faction in this situation doesn't really have any reward in and of itself, especially when dying repeatedly is a thing - but of course with the addition of dynamic NPC enforcement and heroes hunting supervillains down as well, that point could be liable to change.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options

I don't really get this. Those protectors do almost no damage to me (when I Grond it up). I have noticed that my higher level, tankier hero takes much less damage (as Grond) than my lower level hero. My tank has not been defeated yet, he can get full fury stacks and still be very healthy. I went through the entire fury cycle twice with him last time. In contrast, by the time my level 20 builds up 100 fury, he is nearly dead. Seems to me that all Gronds are not created equal.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    vonqball said:

I don't really get this. Those protectors do almost no damage to me (when I Grond it up). I have noticed that my higher level, tankier hero takes much less damage (as Grond) than my lower level hero. My tank has not been defeated yet, he can get full fury stacks and still be very healthy. I went through the entire fury cycle twice with him last time. In contrast, by the time my level 20 builds up 100 fury, he is nearly dead. Seems to me that all Gronds are not created equal.
    It's not intuitive at all. I mash a bunch of low level mobs and get no blue energy bar built, I go to a Defender and get only the 2 and 3 key attack, the 'energy builder' or whatever is on the 1 key doesn't seem to activate most of the time, ie, I can stand right in front of my target with the 1 key slot blinking away and Grond/Medusa/Gravitard do nothing.

I'll take almost zero damage from my first few encounters with Grond, then all of a sudden the Defender team opens up on me and I lose at least a million per fight while I wait for City of Heroes style cool down timers and non activating attacks, then I take a million points of damage from my use-once super jump, so I'm down to less than a million and can't risk another encounter with the Defenders but end up bored with what seems like 10 minutes of every super hero in the city fighting me before I go down.

• Options
    I don't understand the complaint about leechers. A lot of those so-called leechers are silver players on non-tanks or low level players who get hit once or twice and go down. They're never going to meet the 'participation standards' that people who haven't played anything less than an optimized FF seem to want to inflict on everyone. You do want people to show up for this, right? Being generous about how they give out guardian tokens is the *only* thing Onslaught seems to have gotten exactly right.
  • Options
    vinxbrvinxbr Posts: 161 Arc User
    Well, i personally liked the proposal of this new feature, the idea of can fight Bosses Supervillains controlled by another player and have to hunt them across Millenium CIty is very cool, but there's one problem: people.

This villain spam on Kodiak area really sucks and it's, at least, boring. But still, sometimes, is possible to find some players in different places and have some fun.

However what really is worrying me is to wonder how this new feature will work aside other events, like Tako at Bloodmoon or Clarence at X-mas, the trolls can (and will, if nothing be done) literally ruin these events for everybody.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

I don't understand the complaint about leechers.

I have no objections to people not being very effective. I do object to them not even trying.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Love it

They're never going to meet the 'participation standards' that people who haven't played anything less than an optimized FF seem to want to inflict on everyone.

Hi, I play way-less-than-optimized freeforms and I still think there should be a standard of participation. Is your mind laying on the ground in a thousand pieces?
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    bluhman said:

Atom-splitting fist is the perfect move for dealing with UNTIL defenders. Gravitar can 3-shot defenders, while Medusa (allegedly?) 1-shots them, but a well-placed Atomfist will kill a defender 100% of the time without them even getting aggro. Just, make sure you're close to them and facing the right way.

As fun as blasting the hell out of people at spawn with Grond is, I can't imagine it's that great of a first impression for new players. There's a lot of balancing to be done. In a rough order of priority in my horrible opinion:

• Villain Mobility and Travel Powers - Make them slower by default, their Travel Powers part of their standard combat (with similar loss of speed upon entering combat), and most importantly make them susceptible to NTTG. This is especially important to any melee heroes planning to try battling them.
    NttG really needs to do something to them.

I don't understand the complaint about leechers. A lot of those so-called leechers are silver players on non-tanks or low level players who get hit once or twice and go down. They're never going to meet the 'participation standards' that people who haven't played anything less than an optimized FF seem to want to inflict on everyone. You do want people to show up for this, right? Being generous about how they give out guardian tokens is the *only* thing Onslaught seems to have gotten exactly right.

My Disciple can have a decent fight time against Gronds but then gets vaporized by the Medusas in the mosh pit of villains.

Single target attacks will be a good (read necessary) thing to have.

This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Hi, I play way-less-than-optimized freeforms and I still think there should be a standard of participation. Is your mind laying on the ground in a thousand pieces?

Funnily enough, I think they've done some work on this. I was cheerfully blasting away ineffectively at a Grond with a lvl 8 FF toon, in that free vehicle we got given recently, and Grond's AoE's weren't one-shotting me. 2/3 Hp loss, yes, but nothing immediately fatal. And that's the way it should go, really; these charged attacks should be enough to make heroes back off, and defeat them if followed up properly or in a big villain team. One-shot super attacks (where the damage hits before the tell/animation, like in the Mechanon fiasco) are no fun.

The baseline for me is this: Is fighting an Onslaught villain more fun / rewarding than just playing the Destroids Rise Again open mission? At the moment, it's not; the OVs have irritating buffs and holds/stuns which can't be broken, resulting in insta-death, their attacks ignore strategies/defences like cover, and the rewards are minimal.
  • Options
    It would be interesting if the OVs had some base damage on their abilities, but also had some %of target's total health component to their attacks as well. That might make them a little less able to Obliterate low level and squishy targets, and also give them a fighting chance to take down some of the game's optimized FF tank builds.