"Inappropriate" Language

Comments

• arrmateys
    arrmateys Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    then block "hitler", i doubt anyone still has a last name like that these days, or will in the future. also block "sieg heil", just don't mangle normal first names.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • toiva
    toiva Posts: 2,606 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Frell
    Shtaco
    Hezmana
    Frak

EDIT: All's good.

• limonazza
    limonazza Posts: 68 Arc User
    wow a defiance nerd have my children
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    arrmateys wrote: »
    limonazza wrote: »
    adolf
    adolf shouldn't matter.

just because one bad guy had a name like that doesn't mean everyone on the planet with the same name should suffer for that. otherwise why aren't all josephs suffering for stalin's and mengele's atrocities? or vlads for lenin creating one of the worst regimes, only rivaled by adolf's one?

We have German players. The BRD has some laws which would be considered draconian censorship by some other nations, such as not allowing a child to be given the name Adolph (that is the correct spelling of the jerk's name). Having German players means that PWE will not want the forum site to be blocked in Germany, so they may have to add some things to the filter while they're taking others out.
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    protogoth wrote: »
    arrmateys wrote: »
    adolf
    adolf shouldn't matter.

just because one bad guy had a name like that doesn't mean everyone on the planet with the same name should suffer for that. otherwise why aren't all josephs suffering for stalin's and mengele's atrocities? or vlads for lenin creating one of the worst regimes, only rivaled by adolf's one?

We have German players. The BRD has some laws which would be considered draconian censorship by some other nations, such as not allowing a child to be given the name Adolph (that is the correct spelling of the jerk's name). Having German players means that PWE will not want the forum site to be blocked in Germany, so they may have to add some things to the filter while they're taking others out.

They may be able to get away with just doing that on the German Language Version. :smile:

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • arrmateys
    arrmateys Posts: 22 Arc User
    i don't think it's possible to have subforum-specific filters. they're usually site wide.

didn't know that part about germany.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    More testing:

chink in one's armor
    Kike Elomaa
    Guido van Rossum

Apparently, it filters a common saying and the name of a Finnish bodybuilder, but not the name of a programming language creator.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »
    More testing:

chink in one's armor
    Kike Elomaa
    Guido van Rossum

Apparently, it filters a common saying and the name of a Finnish bodybuilder, but not the name of a programming language creator.

Well, while the first is part of a relatively common saying, it's also an oft-used insult to people of Chinese origin.

The second is a not-so-well-known insult to one of Jewish descent.
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I saw this in another thread:
    Is there any way to change your forum name or ID or whatever, i am not really going to post anymore (and i had thousands post count) as long as i am forced to do it with my very account ID.... The devs really need to fix this... i mean your email is kinda public, your ip is kinda public, your account ID is public... seriously? getting hac.ked couldn't be easier than this (why is h acked even a bad word wtf)

hack
    hacked
    hacker
    hacking

I'm not sure I understand this one. Why filter out the bare infinitive and the past tense, but not the present participle or the noun?
  • krittycat
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I saw this in another thread:
    Is there any way to change your forum name or ID or whatever, i am not really going to post anymore (and i had thousands post count) as long as i am forced to do it with my very account ID.... The devs really need to fix this... i mean your email is kinda public, your ip is kinda public, your account ID is public... seriously? getting hac.ked couldn't be easier than this (why is h acked even a bad word wtf)

hack
    hacked
    hacker
    hacking

I'm not sure I understand this one. Why filter out the bare infinitive and the past tense, but not the present participle or the noun?

Who knows?

All I know is, I talked to a PWE Admin about the filter - he said that it's not high on their priorities, but it definitely is something they intend to address.
  • daveyny
    daveyny Posts: 4,787 Arc User
    It seems the opposite of Heaven is blocked out as well.
    Kinda silly that one.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    Star Trek Fan since Sept. 8th, 1966.
    Still a STO Veteran Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • krittycat
    daveyny wrote: »
    Kinda silly that one.
    B)

That one is one that actually irked the admin, too. He wants to be able to say that sometimes. fox-44.gif
  • angrytarg
    angrytarg Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I just wanted to point out that you are mistaken with "Adolph", at least regarding the original German (I indeed have no idea wether there's a different spelling in English but I have never seen anyone using the spelling "Adolph"). "Adolf" is a derivation of the Germanic "Athalwolf" (later "Adalwolf") and has always been spelled with "f" 3cf12d2518d3678c56fe39380a68b386.gif

BRD laws do not require the name "Hitler" or "Adolf Hitler" or any forms of it to be censored. A child can of course be named "Adolf", there are no laws against that (wether you want your child to carry that name and it's implications is another matter). NS-symbolism though is censored except in historical and educational material as well as movies ("Indiana Jones" movies for example can show the swastika and SS-runes, the point and click video game adaptations need to censor it, though. I think, but I'm not sure, that is because movies fall under freedom of art whereas computer games are legally toys). There are also some rather curious effects like license plates cannot have a "SS", "SA" or "AH" in them (German license plates read XXX XX 1111 whereas the first two or three letters indicate the city or community, the second set of letters are randomly assigned letters followed by random digits).

EDIT: GOOD GRIEF, X-X-X gets censored? 071b3eb5a121ec946512f54406c1c8e3.gif

<center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
    <center>Vanilla is nice... we're talking about ice cream, right? ...
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • protogoth
    angrytarg wrote: »

I just wanted to point out that you are mistaken with "Adolph", at least regarding the original German (I indeed have no idea wether there's a different spelling in English but I have never seen anyone using the spelling "Adolph"). "Adolf" is a derivation of the Germanic "Athalwolf" (later "Adalwolf") and has always been spelled with "f" 3cf12d2518d3678c56fe39380a68b386.gif

BRD laws do not require the name "Hitler" or "Adolf Hitler" or any forms of it to be censored. A child can of course be named "Adolf", there are no laws against that (wether you want your child to carry that name and it's implications is another matter). NS-symbolism though is censored except in historical and educational material as well as movies ("Indiana Jones" movies for example can show the swastika and SS-runes, the point and click video game adaptations need to censor it, though. I think, but I'm not sure, that is because movies fall under freedom of art whereas computer games are legally toys). There are also some rather curious effects like license plates cannot have a "SS", "SA" or "AH" in them (German license plates read XXX XX 1111 whereas the first two or three letters indicate the city or community, the second set of letters are randomly assigned letters followed by random digits).

EDIT: GOOD GRIEF, X-X-X gets censored? 071b3eb5a121ec946512f54406c1c8e3.gif

It appears you are correct regarding the spelling (however I am aware of the origin of the name).

But as for the legality of giving the name to a child, ...
    So dürfen Vornamen nicht beleidigend oder lächerlich sein. Der Vorname muss als Vorname erkennbar sein. Darum sind Sachbezeichnungen wie z. B. „Telefon“ oder „Eisenbahn“ genauso wenig gestattet wie Nachnamen. Heftig gestritten wird übrigens über Ortsbezeichnungen als Vornamen, nicht zuletzt weil es hier viele internationale Beispiele gibt.
    -- Quelle

Na und?
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    Republic Veteran!!!

• angrytarg
    angrytarg Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    (...)

But as for the legality of giving the name to a child, ...
    So dürfen Vornamen nicht beleidigend oder lächerlich sein. Der Vorname muss als Vorname erkennbar sein. Darum sind Sachbezeichnungen wie z. B. „Telefon“ oder „Eisenbahn“ genauso wenig gestattet wie Nachnamen. Heftig gestritten wird übrigens über Ortsbezeichnungen als Vornamen, nicht zuletzt weil es hier viele internationale Beispiele gibt.
    -- Quelle

Na und?

The bolded part only states that names cannot be insulting. "Adolf" however is not an insult, it's a regular name (as quite a few elderly people still carrying that name, I think they would fight you on considering their name an insult).

According to that site, naming a child isn't even covered by law but by a Verwaltungsvorschrift which basically means the citizen is not bound by it (loosely. I had some basic jurisprudence covered in my studies but not enough to safely navigate German law, especially outside of my field of expertise) but the authority the name is stated to has to decide wether or not naming the child in that way is considered "irresponsible".

The decision wether or not "Adolf" is irresponsible is up to the officer whom may register the child's name, it is thereby subjective. The name itself is not problematic, just the social consequences that choice bears need to be kept in mind.

EDIT: For some reason I have quite a lot of trouble typing "consider" be7131334f6fc16e5b1c5d1d9b824fa6.gif

<center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
    <center>Vanilla is nice... we're talking about ice cream, right? ...
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • ambisinisterr
    ambisinisterr Posts: 9,617 Community Moderator
    YesYes triple X would be filtered alongalong with triple K. Filters work based on likelihood or the severity of the meaning. Both of them are more likely to be used in bad connotation or cause other violations even if accidentally used than be used for valid reasons such as you just did.
  • toiva
    toiva Posts: 2,606 Arc User
    Kinda silly that one.
    B)

Grethor will have to do.

• protogoth
    toiva wrote: »
    Kinda silly that one.
    B)

Grethor will have to do.

Or "Areinnye."

For now.

Republic Veteran!!!

• lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    Kinda silly that one.
    B)

Grethor will have to do.

Or perhaps Hades? Or Hel. There is likely no shortage of synonyms for the underworld.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    Momaganon for PWI players, as in the Chinese version of the game, two of our areas are Heaven and it's opposite. Now they are named Lothranis and Momaganon. egg-50.gif

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smeeinn1t
    smeeinn1t Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Tongue firmly in cheek for this one... ;)

Well I'm a Londoner which gives me a few ways of getting a point across with rhyming slang, which came about as a way for the 'underclasses'[sic] to talk freely without the authorities being able to understand what was being said.

Such as:

Berkshire hunt: As in 'what a total Berk'

Thruppenny bits: As in 'You're getting on my Thruppennies'

Pony & trap: As in 'What a pile of pony'

Merchant Banker: 'You're a right merchant'

(I'm pretty sure you can work out the rhyming slang.)

And a few other choice terms that have no way of being stopped by any decency filter. But that is the thing about linguistics and the headache that filtering systems have to deal with...

And just for the lol, here's a little twitterism.
    https://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/615626050987520000/photo/1
    Post edited by smeeinn1t on
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Wow. This REALLY needs to be addressed. We just had the word knob -- k.n.o.b--censored in a fanfic while describing the act of opening a door. That is way, way over the top... O_O

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • smeeinn1t
    smeeinn1t Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    There's a whole list of words that would normally be accepted that just aren't any more.​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ilithyn
    ilithyn Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    krittycat wrote: »
    The filter is something that will be looked at. Just remember that we are being added to a board with multiple languages, and that certain things that aren't offensive in one language can be very offensive in others.

Allow PWE some time to finish the full migration and clean up some of the bugs/issues that have cropped up, and I'm sure we'll see some changes to how strict the filter is.

Okay so in which language is g*a*y and l*e*s*b*i*a*n incredibly offensive? Because those two words get caught by the profanity filter. See this thread: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1193844/sixth-annual-pride-weekend/p1

Also the fact that in posts you can often trick the profanity filter to accept your words if you go back and edit it is downright ridiculous and sort of defies the purpose of even having it.

Edit: Okay apparently they took gay and lesbian out of the profanity filter, but I still don't get why they were in there by default.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • ilithyn
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Wow. This REALLY needs to be addressed. We just had the word knob -- k.n.o.b--censored in a fanfic while describing the act of opening a door. That is way, way over the top... O_O

Well it's a slur in British English you k.n.o.b.head XD. Refers to a specific part of male genitals.

Man all the naughty words I'm learning today. It's like being 7 again and starting school.
  • gulberat
    ilithyn wrote: »

Well it's a slur in British English you k.n.o.b.head XD. Refers to a specific part of male genitals.

Man all the naughty words I'm learning today. It's like being 7 again and starting school.

In the U.S. it means nothing but the part of a door used to open it. IMO it can safely be removed from the profanity filter and mods can use their judgment as to the meaning and context.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ilithyn
    ilithyn wrote: »

In the U.S. it means nothing but the part of a door used to open it. IMO it can safely be removed from the profanity filter and mods can use their judgment as to the meaning and context.

Yeah I don't really get why it's there either. It is a bit overzealous.
    Especially as it's not even that bad a word, Brits are generally more laid back with references to genitals and sex than Americans are. After all, a fairly common and relatively mild insult to call someone is wanker, which refers to masturbations. Granted knobhead is a bit worse, but not by that much.
  • tehbubbaloo
    tehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    the beauty of the overzealous censor is that encourages creative writing :trollface:​​
  • ilithyn
    the beauty of the overzealous censor is that encourages creative writing :trollface:​​

To say the least. And whoever came up with the idea that people who swear have limited vocabularies? I have rarely seen such inventiveness or diverse application of language :D
  • gulberat
    Except the whole thing was that I wasn't swearing and no one in the US would even think it. ;)

Categories