What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starbase 39-Sierra makeover?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    "You will board a shuttlecraft and come over to my ship. You will come alone...."

"...Your refusal... would be unwise."
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sooo, is there going to be a Klingon stabase nearby too?

the trip from qo'nos to psi Velorum is pretty painless. (or will be when they open the sector)

although i would not mind seeing a klingon base set up in pi canis. maybe in the Mempa sector.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the trip from qo'nos to psi Velorum is pretty painless. (or will be when they open the sector)
    I don't care about the trip, I care about having a nearby "base" to dock, put things in the bank, on the exchange, change my ship, etc. The Klinks could and should have a base in Psi Canis.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Here's the way I look at it, I can get from SB39 to Sol before my Slipstream runs out. That's pretty dang close.
    Quite right...assuming everybody has reached VA. Unfortunately, SB39 is the mission hub for Lt. Commander and Commander missions, so those poor souls travel noticably more slowly - don't tell me you've forgotten! ;)
    Dan, I beleive you are hinting at shuttle missions.!
    I had the same thought - the timing is very convenient, and I think/hope you're right.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jeff-El wrote:
    Quite right...assuming everybody has reached VA. Unfortunately, SB39 is the mission hub for Lt. Commander and Commander missions, so those poor souls travel noticably more slowly - don't tell me you've forgotten! ;)

Not at all as my alt is a Com as of this moment. But like I said, they are still close together. Having SB39 set up like Drozana (Exchange, Mail, Ship Selector, basic vendors, bank) or Battle Group Omega would be fine. But to have it set up like ESD, DS9 and K7, I think, is a bit much.

But that's just my two Abraham Lincolns on the matter....
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nice that SB39 is getting an update. I really hate those S-Curve Hallways.

Also, it's annoying the Transporter room is at the far end, instead of a centralized area.

Sooo, is there going to be a Klingon stabase nearby too?

Perhaps Khitomer?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Azurian wrote: »
    Nice that SB39 is getting an update. I really hate those S-Curve Hallways.

Also, it's annoying the Transporter room is at the far end, instead of a centralized area.

Perhaps Khitomer?

I'll be a bit more specific.

At present, I am making sure that SB39 has the mission givers and vendors necessary to function for the upcoming weekly missions. This doesn't necessarily give me time to overhaul the interior geometry or change the scope of what sorts of things you can do or purchase there. Also, since I'm not an environmental artist, it would be . . . um . . . not good if I were to try to change the interior geometry extensively.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jheinig wrote: »

At present, I am making sure that SB39 has the mission givers and vendors necessary to function for the upcoming weekly missions. This doesn't necessarily give me time to overhaul the interior geometry or change the scope of what sorts of things you can do or purchase there. Also, since I'm not an environmental artist, it would be . . . um . . . not good if I were to try to change the interior geometry extensively.

Well, perhaps you could share my "observation" with the environmental team for the SB-39 enhancements. ;)

Come to think of it, I wonder if you guys fixed that high population problem with SB-39? For some reason, that zone never was stable when there was too many players in the zone.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Also, since I'm not an environmental artist, it would be . . . um . . . not good if I were to try to change the interior geometry extensively.

No but it would be intresting, Go on have a go. U know u want to ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I really hate those S-Curve Hallways.
    So do I, but I presume they exist for gameplay reasons - if they ever decide to make a "SB39 Under Siege" type mission, the s-curves provide a little built-in crowd control. Just like SB82 in Infected, which is...well, identical.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Any chance of SB39 getting a tailor?
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Booo.....*throws tomatoes at Heinig* ....calling yourself a dev...you can't even do a simple job like that. *throws some more tomatoes* :p
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    SHARKFORCE wrote: »
    Booo.....*throws tomatoes at Heinig* ....calling yourself a dev...you can't even do a simple job like that. *throws some more tomatoes* :p

Hey, watch your aim! You hit me! :mad:

Besides, you should throw your tomatos at Dan. He's the Captain of that particular ship.:D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hey, watch your aim! You hit me! :mad:

Besides, you should throw your tomatos at Dan. He's the Captain of that particular ship.:D

No tomatoes for Dan....got something special for him in the works.:D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    SHARKFORCE wrote: »

My degree is in computer science, not computer art.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Should replace Sierra 39 with a Z-Machine layout :). Would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

*runs to the store to get Heinig a sense of humor*:D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jeff-El wrote:
    So do I, but I presume they exist for gameplay reasons - if they ever decide to make a "SB39 Under Siege" type mission, the s-curves provide a little built-in crowd control. Just like SB82 in Infected, which is...well, identical.

Yeah, I know. But don't think that will ever be the case. But I could see them ripping out the S-Curves and turn them into T-Section hallways that lead to more of the station so it actually feels like a station.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I know. But don't think that will ever be the case. But I could see them ripping out the S-Curves and turn them into T-Section hallways that lead to more of the station so it actually feels like a station.

S-curves aren't going anywhere. K7 has them. Captain's Table has them. If you are looking for a "technobabble" reason, you could always say they are designed to contstrict the flow of air in the event of a hull breach to limit the amount of atmosphere lost before the force fields go up. (Hey, at least I'm trying...)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Keep harassing him, guys. I can feel that Space Lincoln episode getting closer. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    S-curves aren't going anywhere. K7 has them. Captain's Table has them. If you are looking for a "technobabble" reason, you could always say they are designed to contstrict the flow of air in the event of a hull breach to limit the amount of atmosphere lost before the force fields go up. (Hey, at least I'm trying...)

To me it would be that they were to counter attacks. But really I don't recall seeing them in Star Trek.

Besides, star ships and space stations supposed to be efficient in design. You know, no wasted space. :P
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, since I'm not an environmental artist, it would be . . . um . . . not good if I were to try to change the interior geometry extensively.

Yeah, but it'd be FUNNY. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    syberghost wrote: »
    Yeah, but it'd be FUNNY. :)

Escheresque, even?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Escheresque, even?

More like Dali-esque. We're talking Persistence of Memory.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Unless I miss my guess, while the full on art isn't necessarily Jesse's department, he could actually replace SB39 with another pre-existing map like ESD and then tweak it with props, basically like we can do in The Foundry.

The question is still whether the additional hookups would warrant that treatment.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Unless I miss my guess, while the full on art isn't necessarily Jesse's department, he could actually replace SB39 with another pre-existing map like ESD and then tweak it with props, basically like we can do in The Foundry.

The question is still whether the additional hookups would warrant that treatment.

Also, wouldn't it be likely that the core hub of this series is a neutral, persistent hub like Drozana or Deferra?

Unless the Klingons are also using SB 39, I'm not sure how the makeover makes sense. (Unless a Klingon station is also being added up there.)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, wouldn't it be likely that the core hub of this series is a neutral, persistent hub like Drozana or Deferra?

Unless the Klingons are also using SB 39, I'm not sure how the makeover makes sense. (Unless a Klingon station is also being added up there.)
    Yeah, we may see either a new Klingon outpost or some sort of Drozana-style neutral hub added, as well. I still think SB39 could use the additional functionality for all those poor Lt. Commanders and Commanders out there. Remember, Eta Eridani has Drozana, K7, and Ganalda.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Got a point, but first Cryptic has to unlock sectors for Klingons.

As for Klingon Hubs, the only thing that would be close enough is Khitomer. But that in a part of space yet to be opened up. They surely can't let Klingons at SB 39 because of the war. So guess they need to load up on equipment and take the long way.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I could see the devs adding a Task Force Omega type fleet sitting outside of SB39 for the Klingons.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    A few seconds away though is ESD , i mean its literally right next to it LOL