test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patch & download EVERY time I log in?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I noticed this over the weekend-- each time I'd log out (of my own choosing or otherwise!) and then log back in again, it would spin up to "PATCH" and something appeared to come down every single time. It would go by so quickly I could never tell for sure, but it was definitely a .dll.

What is that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    There are some steps it runs through every time, including checking all the mirrored files (such as .exe and .dll files).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    There are some steps it runs through every time, including checking all the mirrored files (such as .exe and .dll files).

OK, thanks. The way it visually outputs is just confusing, as it says patching.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    coderanger wrote:

What are mirrored files for, anyway? Really just curious.

--Monkey
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All patching is done into the hoggs, and then afterwards any files needed on disk (like executables) are copied out and written to the disk.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    All patching is done into the hoggs, and then afterwards any files needed on disk (like executables) are copied out and written to the disk.

So the game launch process is if I'm reading this right rewriting certain game system files just prior to launch... each time? Is this a security thing in case people tamper with them? Just trying to think of what would be the need for that design wise.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    So the game launch process is if I'm reading this right rewriting certain game system files just prior to launch... each time? Is this a security thing in case people tamper with them? Just trying to think of what would be the need for that design wise.
    It checks them each time, if the timestamp and size match it doesn't actually copy any data (unless force verify is on, then it remirrors everything). It doesn't touch any system files, just the DLLs and EXEs you see in the subfolder.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But why does it do this? I'm sure there's a good reason, otherwise it would just be unnecessary traffic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would immagine its for security, as somebody or something could tamper with the game .exe and .dll and take account details. although there are other ways to do it also, its one or 2 less for hackers to get you on.

Also it may stop people making 'private' versions of the game.