Path to 2409 - 2390 Supplemental Log

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    John wrote: »
    very nice read i wonder why data could not talk about B-4 and what not

because they had to kill him to make Data come back to life.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Odd. This one read as short to me, as if it had been cut off before it was finished.

I guess it's the writer in me, but I didn't see the arc of the fiction. We had the setup, the complication, and then an abrupt sort of "sorry, can't say more" ending.

Typically, the fictional Path supplements add a bit of detail to the game lore, at the very least, but other than hearing the reclaimed Data "speak" for the first time, I'm not sure what was added here that hadn't already been given to us?

I'm not complaining -- and God knows, there are misanthropes on these forums who have made a career out of that, anyway -- I'm simply confused. I'm not sure what I was supposed to take away from this one.

It feels like the piece was building up to something, and then stepped back.

My opinions, anyway,

KOS
    Nice analysis and my opinion also. It wasn't all that well written. Too fast of a job done. A pity...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So STO is going to ignore the the Destiny novels and their follow ups. So many questions were answered. Even more new questions about the future were posed because of the great deal of destruction the Borg caused. Ezri Dax becoming the Captain of the Aventine, more future questions. The total destruction of several worlds and heavy damage to many others. The Picard/Crusher marriage and child, the Riker/Troi child.
    For STO to totally ignore these "Current" events for their own "Future" timeline is taking all of the fun out of it. I mean I know the Borg are gone so how can I fight them in the "Future". I'm just venting, but I sure STO can't keep changing their events timeline everytime a new book or movie comes out. It would take even longer for to get STO up and running.

Tanks, Kevin

BTW, I'm looking foward to kicking all your asses in starship combat!!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    For some reasons I didn't like this Log at all. Data sounded too much like a typical bureaucrat. In the shows and movies he was far more chatty and helpful.:(

I'd just like to say I also thought I was listening to a politician. It just didn't sound like Data. He doesn't hedge. Generally, he knows or he doesn't.

And to the person who commented about Data having difficulty with more subtle emotions, I disagree. His range, especially near the end of First Contact, is impressive. And don't forget future Data from All Good Things.

-Forjo
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So STO is going to ignore the the Destiny novels and their follow ups. So many questions were answered. Even more new questions about the future were posed because of the great deal of destruction the Borg caused. Ezri Dax becoming the Captain of the Aventine, more future questions. The total destruction of several worlds and heavy damage to many others. The Picard/Crusher marriage and child, the Riker/Troi child.
    For STO to totally ignore these "Current" events for their own "Future" timeline is taking all of the fun out of it. I mean I know the Borg are gone so how can I fight them in the "Future". I'm just venting, but I sure STO can't keep changing their events timeline everytime a new book or movie comes out. It would take even longer for to get STO up and running.

Tanks, Kevin

• Options
    edited August 2009

Tanks, Kevin

So you felt ignored and posted this twice. And now you expect some flaming and ranting on how the books aren't canon and such. No doubt someone will fall for the trap you layed out for us, but I hope the most will see this "opinion" for what it is and move on to the more productive posts.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Tanks, Kevin

if im thinking of the same one your referring to... then the casulties of that war would ruin the game completly... The Romulan Empire/Cardassians more or less gone.. 40% of the Federation Dead,Klingon empire is pretty much the same shape.. and not even a mention of species 8472 :O

if i remember correctly thats on the same site that has the Second Terran Empire conquering the prime universe in the 2600's ..so hell im all for that bit :D
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Um, yeah. Don't see the point of using novels that ultimately leave the world in discord.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only one who thought "They used Lore's body!" when Data did the little smile at the end?

And as to him using contractions, in the future timeline of the TNG Finale, he used contractions quite often.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    HEyas .. I've been looking for the novel where Data is resurected from B-4s body ... anyone know the name/author of that novel? I saw it once , and dind't buy it :(

THanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ghostieboi wrote: »
    HEyas .. I've been looking for the novel where Data is resurected from B-4s body ... anyone know the name/author of that novel? I saw it once , and dind't buy it :(

THanks in advance!

Hmmm,

I thought it was just part of the storyline for the online game.

Interesting-

Chris
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Odd. This one read as short to me, as if it had been cut off before it was finished.

I guess it's the writer in me, but I didn't see the arc of the fiction. We had the setup, the complication, and then an abrupt sort of "sorry, can't say more" ending.

It's possible that you will be able to find out the answers in-game, perhaps part of a federation quest path.

Chris
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ghostieboi wrote: »

THanks in advance!

Erm Star Trek: Countdown. He is the Enterprise captain in it and it is official so septuple sweet! I thought it was a comic but I managed to pick up a book of the 4 issues from waterstones for £7. SCORE!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Everything in Countdown is not considered "canon"
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So you felt ignored and posted this twice. And now you expect some flaming and ranting on how the books aren't canon and such. No doubt someone will fall for the trap you layed out for us, but I hope the most will see this "opinion" for what it is and move on to the more productive posts.

I'll take all the flame in the world for hitting the post button twice, it's part of the world. I wasnt offering a opinion, but posing a question. Whats the fun of star trek when we are limited to "Canon". How could the books not be canon? What would canon be? Everybody knows that the series and movies constantly contradict each other. So whats the difference. And if you get mad and turn red when you read this you should really follow William Shatners advice and get out of the basement.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ronaldheld wrote: »
    Everything in Countdown is not considered "canon"

Sorry mate but Countdown is 100% official
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    not So. Bob Orci recanted on that after the movie came out.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ronaldheld wrote: »
    not So. Bob Orci recanted on that after the movie came out.

Orci has said specifically that we can consider it canon until it's contradicted in a TV show or movie. Since they probably won't go back to the old universe any time soon it's likely that Countdown won't be considered canon.
    CBS has said it's canon and not canon at different times.
    One of the writers of the comic says it's canon (the other one hasn't commented on it's canonicity).

So you might as well say it's canon.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yay the Parallax has spoken
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is this "Star Trek: Countdown" a book? I swear to god that I saw data being resurected on the back of a paperback book in smiths. I can't remmber the title though. if this is it, freaking sweet!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    IT was an IDW series and a bound volume which Amazon sold.
    The Data personality "took over" B-4.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm just glad data is "alive" he's one of my favorite characters from star trek.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "I'm" he says? Unless that's one of his upgrade that is Lore.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arachnidus wrote: »
    Even as an NPC, 8472 must be a God enemy. They (almost) killed the Borg for Christ's sake.
    Well, while they could one shot a Borg cube, hitting Voyager three times barely damaged it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    love how the time line goes .. and geting more and more info time goes on love
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Even as an NPC, 8472 must be a God enemy. They (almost) killed the Borg for Christ's sake.

true but i have a feeling some species less technologically advanced would give species 8472 a run for their money
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    true but i have a feeling some species less technologically advanced would give species 8472 a run for their money
    Ewoks?

Um, I mean... Mintakans? :D
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    "I'm" he says? Unless that's one of his upgrade that is Lore.

Data can use contractions. He used them several times during the regular series and movies. He never said he couldn't use them, only that it was something he had not "mastered" yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I like this entry. My only problem is that Data says that Species 8472 may have made gates from thier own dimension, I thought that fluidic space was in a remote part of the Beta Quadrant. Thats what Axom (seven of nine's boyfriend from unimatrix 0 said (Voyager ep. Unimatrix Zero pt. 2)). Meh maybe I'm just splitting hairs.

Spicies 8472 may just arrive as an NPC species that you dont really end up interacting with in a big way. I think they may just be a party to several quests maybe? Doesn't bother me though as I plan on shooting them as a klingon.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone know if the Enterprise E is the current Enterprise in the year the game is supposed to take place? The NX-01 was only around for 10, the 1701 40, the A 7, between 2293 and 2344 we get the B and the C and the D was only around for 8 years. It seems to me that with the one exception of Kirk's Enterprise and maybe the B and C, none of them have lasted more than a decade in service. It seems likely that since this is 20 some years after the destruction of Romulus that the the Enterprise in service would be the F. I mean the Enterprise is still the flagship of the Federation so wouldn't they have decommissioned the sovereign to give the name to a newer ship like they did w/ the A?
    Is Data still a captain by the time the game takes place? I mean after 20 some years as captain wouldn't he have gotten a promotion to admiral by now?