test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

10 Anniversary...Please bring back missed items by new/inactive players. And other Suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    The point is STO has been on the decline for a while
    According to Cryptic, 2018 was STO's 2nd best year, and they have seen a rather large influx of new players due to the Discovery tie in content.
    but not expecting anything special to be done for the 10 years Anniversary compared to the other anniversaries is sad
    We already know they are doing something special for the 10th anniversary. It's called STO: Legends, and is going to involve like 10 new ships, including the USS Kelvin, and the USS Franklin, and other items like Spock's volcano EV suit from IntoDarkness, the Red Angel suit, and Jaylah's Staff

They described it as "We really want this to be - you know, for the team, for the players, for everybody - we want this to be a true celebration of the heroes, of the villains, of the players, and try to create something that is a little bit different and a lot of fun."

^More ships and suits...wow, that sounds like a truly dull 10 year anniversary. Considering holdings, ships, and boxes have been the go to thing for the last 5-6 years, we may "want" more than rinse and repeat. The fact they are not even acknowledging the issue with Fleets/Armadas also shows the lack of "players" focus...as this part is the area where "players" get most of the their after story gear.

Again, most of what I have suggested is a pipe dream, but small things like a serious improvement in at least the fleet/armada system would be greatly appreciated.

you do realise that there are many who do not want anything to do with fleets, right?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    hallek420staymad#8999 hallek420staymad Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Things I would like to see:

1: Crippling connection issues effectively addressed
    2: Admiralty fill all open projects button
    3: Account wide starship trait unlocks for existing and new acquisitions
    4: Enough with the events and grinds, have 4 or 6 events per year that require 14 days to complete, so you have 60-90 days or w/e to do a daily 14 times.
    5: No more fleet holdings and no more rep tiers.

:*

ps, speaking of fleet holdings, for me they're really a glorified store since you can't stay on the map, I would like kiosks around the hubs that give you access to whatever fleet gear you are eligible to buy so I can just just grab what I want from one spot on Ganalda.
    qaAuoh7.gif
  • Options
    pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The Kamarag will be in the Phoenix at the same time as the T5 Ambassador, T5 Oddysey, & T5 Bortas, all of which are pre-event project Anniversary ships, not episode rewards.

Well, the T% Ambassador was given away as an account-unlock sometime after it was an Anniversary ship, while there are better C-store variants available of the Oddysey and Bortas.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Borg space maps undoubtedly belong to the most consumed maps we have. Whatever the reasons there may be for that, it is a strong indicator that the philosophy/mechanic/rewards of those maps should not be changed.
    People play the Borg space maps because they are TRIBBLE easy, and massively over reward for the effort involved, which is exactly why those maps SHOULD be changed.

Yea that’s how things work in life best, change a running system into a not running system. :D

If you play borg space maps for rewards, that's on you. I don't and so don't the roughly 3 dozen players I play them regularly with. We play em for fun and fun is something most of the rother maps we have lack, hence we don't play them.

Of course that is nothing that should be considered worth correcting in a "everything that cryptic does is awsome" mindset.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Borg space maps undoubtedly belong to the most consumed maps we have. Whatever the reasons there may be for that, it is a strong indicator that the philosophy/mechanic/rewards of those maps should not be changed.
    People play the Borg space maps because they are TRIBBLE easy, and massively over reward for the effort involved, which is exactly why those maps SHOULD be changed.

Yea that’s how things work in life best, change a running system into a not running system. :D

If you play borg space maps for rewards, that's on you. I don't and so don't the roughly 3 dozen players I play them regularly with. We play em for fun and fun is something most of the rother maps we have lack, hence we don't play them.
    There isn't really anything wrong with the borg space queues as missions (except perhaps the blatant lack of fail condition in Khitomer/Cure for teams completely ignoring the actual mission). IMO, they are far superior mechanically to most of the "new style" content. At least you do actually have to play them to win, however easy it may be, rather than just pass the time while the clock ticks down to auto-win.

But the existence of the easy content is not a problem. Rather, it's the non-existence and/or lack of reason to play harder content.

Similarly "over rewarding" is relative. Not that ISA, CCA or whatever gives objectively too much dilithium, just more than other content. This is because it's simply impossible to balance a bazillion very different missions so they all give equal amounts of the same reward for the effort involved.

And there we get back to my usual subject, unique rewards, which would solve both of these issues right nicely. :smile:
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    All this discussion of exclusivity brings back memories. Like that time they were offering an exclusive mirror universe outfit in STO for getting a champions lifetime sub, except it turned out it was just a jacket, for males only. Much outcry ensued, and they added a full outfit, including the female option. Yet, that stuff was only exclusive for about 1-2 months, after not even being available when STO launched and for a month after I think, then they added it to the Cstore. So yeah, exclusive means nothing to Cryptic, lets be clear.

Personally, I have stayed out of fleets from the beginning due to the massive drain it is and how disproportional it was for smaller fleets. If I want to play with friends, well there's a friends list there. Big fleets are full of people you have no idea who they are, and may be gone in a few days/weeks for a "better" fleet. Now I'm not against improving the fleet experience, but I've also got no real sympathy since from the beginning of the starbase thing, the system design completely fought against the natural formation of fleets as groups of friends, despite the complaints about that issue.

Phoenix boxes are a "solution" to old items, but frankly I hate them. I know they work well for some people, but for me they are not a real solution to many things. Like standard lootboxes I can't buy what I'd really want, a few of the ships I missed, while other things I'd buy are not account wide and therefore I pass because I have too many characters and loadouts to consider, so I really only use them for the upgrades or the admiralty ships.

Now for what I'd like to see in the 10th anniversary... I do like the idea of bringing back everything for the duration of the event. You want a limited time item that isn't available again, or only via Phoenix? Unlock it now, your only second chance, until maybe the 20th (I'm not sure I want to know what the game is like if it lasts another 10 years.)

Its a really good idea to be honest, and since this too would be a limited thing, it doesn't really mess with the "exclusivity" that they waffle on. You know they could make it this weird one time event where every event ever is running at the same time, Winter, Summer, featured episodes, even delta/temporal/gamma recruitment events. Is that likely, or even possible? Probably not, but it would be fitting for the occasion, and would be interesting. It would be nice to bring back exploration clusters too, for fun's sake.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    reyan01 wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    And there we get back to my usual subject, unique rewards, which would solve both of these issues right nicely. :smile:

And there is a great irony in that statement when one considers that the Borg TFOs once-upon-a-time had unique rewards.
    Exactly! If only Cryptic had created new items for the reps instead of cannibalizing the STF rewards, we could have both reliably acquireable rep gear and unique drops to provide reason to play diverse content.

Of course, never too late to create new items to put in the queues now.
  • Options
    evilspokevilspok Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    "Crippling connection issues effectively addressed" yes this before anything else.

However, one suggestion to add is to bring back all the removed content that was promised to return around 8 months ago.
    I actively tried to calm people down about it trusting Cryptic to keep their word, now I look foolish.
  • Options
    Of course, never too late to create new items to put in the queues now.
    Yes, lets go back to the system that everyone complained about and hated!
    Not everyone hated it.
    If Cryptic did that, it would be a clear indication they have forgotten lessons learned.
    The futile appeasement of frivolous complaints from people who don't want to play the game and don't want others to have a reason to play it either, is something they honestly should forget. Nothing good comes out of designing a game for people who don't want to play.
  • Options
    The futile appeasement of frivolous complaints from people who don't want to play the game
    This is a blatant misrepresentation of why people asked for the change in the first place.

The problem was that you COULD play the game, over, and over, and over, and still never get the drop, while someone else could play the TFO once and get the drop first try. The problem stemmed from the fact that playing the game wasn't actually rewarding 99% of the time for most people, and having to OVERplay the game to get said drop just created frustration, and burnout.
    No, the only minor problem was that the STF sets were the only Mk12 stuff in the game at all. Minor, because the mk11 sets you could buy with EDCs were more than adequate for any practical purpose and finishing the mk12's was more of a bragging rights reward.
    The change to the way it is now means you still have to play the game, in order to get the marks and elite marks one needs to get the rep items, but now you actually get rewarded for playing the game every time you play it,rather then not getting rewarded at all 90% of the time as was common before.
    Except no, it doesn't. Because everything those missions reward now, they already rewarded before the reps. The EDCs worked exactly like omega marks, except for being inventory items. They didn't actually add any rewards to the missions at all, just REMOVED the rare chance of getting something MORE in addition to it.

Yeah, so you can now buy the mk12's with the marks instead of just the 10's and 11's. The practical outcome of that? Getting them isn't worth bragging rights anymore and since no content in the game requires them you might as well leave them in the store and save your dil.
  • Options
    since no content in the game requires them
    Only bad games REQUIRE the absolute best gear to get through anything because any developer knows 90% of the playerbase doesn't care about putting the time or effort into getting that gear, so anything you make that requires it is just content that the vast majority of your playerbase will never attempt.
    That's your opinion. I'd say that only bad games ignore the part of the playerbase that actually cares enough to put some effort (and money) on it. If 90% of players in STO don't care about gear, it's because the game doesn't give them enough reason to care. It certainly doesn't give me enough reason to care.

Every game I play except STO has some kind of difficulty curve you can go up with better gear and levels and whatever. Because what's the point of getting new gear if it doesn't let you do anything more than the old? And ultimately, what's the point of making new gear if players aren't expected to get it?
    The whole point of high level gear bragging rights isn't that you got something you needed, but you got something that's better then most other people's gear, and thus, you can kill things quicker, and easier then they can, while taking less damage then they do. Which is the whole point of Mark 13-15 gear in STO right now.
    The point of bragging rights gear is that its rare and hard to get. In STO this applies to the promobox ships, maybe. Nothing else.
  • Options
    That's your opinion. I'd say that only bad games ignore the part of the playerbase that actually cares enough to put some effort (and money) on it. If 90% of players in STO don't care about gear, it's because the game doesn't give them enough reason to care. It certainly doesn't give me enough reason to care.
    That's a pretty baseless claim to make, that only people who care about gear grind spend money or put effort into it.

The claim that people only don't care about gear grind because the game doesn't give them any reason to care is also baseless. In every MMO that has super high elite raids/dungeons that offer the best unique rewards, unique crafting materials, or a ton of items, and basically require the absolute top tier gear in the game, still have 90% of the playerbase not try for that gear, or do that dungeon/raid, because most people play games casually, and don't want to make games into a grind/job, even if its needed to get the super best rewards.
    You pulling that "90%" out of thin over and over again air is the baseless claim.

The whole point of MMORPG is to get stuff. That's why the peeps who don't want to play the game whine so hard about being "forced" to play this-and-that content in the first place, even though the rewards aren't really needed for anything. Instead of just, you know, not playing if that's what they want. They're jealous other people, who do want to play, are earning stuff.

People don't furiously object to the existence of rewards they don't care about.
    The point of bragging rights gear is that its rare and hard to get.
    No, the point of gear bragging rights is for those "cool skins" and the additional power that comes with it. The fact that its hard to get isn't the main point.
    There is nothing particularly cool about something everyone has, or could easily have if they cared enough to pick it up.
  • Options
    For the competitive rep queues, the team requisite could be lowered to 3 and 3. If you want competitive rep gear now, you can either sit and wait and hope for 4 hours or grind the Breach or secondary mark boxes from *random* queues and then do 20 hour elite mark projects for 1 of the 5 marks you need for a single piece of gear. What this amounts to is wanting to play content and get its relevant rewards but being forced to play something different.
    qaAuoh7.gif
  • Options
    maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    pork77 wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    They already put the Kobali uniform (mission reward from Dust to Dust) in the Phoenix.
    You're right, I forgot about that. Still, that was a one-off Featured Episode {Edit: and, as ltminns pointed out, wasn't announced as a reward that'll go away; found out about it myself just after the featured period ended, as I didn't read until page 16} like they do them today, and not a whole arc, like they were back in the day... that reminds me, when will the Kamarag be in the Phoenix box?

The Kamarag is still available as a mission reward and has been for years same with it's fed counter part. Unless there is another version I don't know about.
This discussion has been closed.