thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    What a brilliant move to release it after we played the related maps a few hundred times already. I so hoped the new endeavor system would have rendered the need for this nonsense obsolete.

Oh well, my mistake... and my condolences.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    What a brilliant move to release it after we played the related maps a few hundred times already. I so hoped the new endeavor system would have rendered the need for this nonsense obsolete.

Just another lazy move by this current development team. Instead of any meaningful content, we get yet another copy/paste with a ridiculous 13th reputation.

13 Reputations? Really?

And yes.. all this after the Discovery Queues are long past.. so not sure how we're going to get these marks. They'll probably take queues like Star Base 1 and remove all the mark choices and add only the new rep marks.. that would be a typically silly decision.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So basically 70 days and over 2000 marks of tiresome project slotting. I can hardly wait to experience such 'fun'. :|

Over 70 days of all new content!

YAY! :lol::lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Just another lazy move by this current development team. Instead of any meaningful content, we get yet another copy/paste with a ridiculous 13th reputation.

13 Reputations? Really?

And yes.. all this after the Discovery Queues are long past.. so not sure how we're going to get these marks. They'll probably take queues like Star Base 1 and remove all the mark choices and add only the new rep marks.. that would be a typically silly decision.
    So basically 70 days and over 2000 marks of tiresome project slotting. I can hardly wait to experience such 'fun'. :|

Over 70 days of all new content!

YAY! :lol::lol:

I lost track a bit how many marks are needed for a rep but @reyan01 numbers feel right. Think at least starting from T5 on the first char we get auto sponsored for the account. If it’s still around we should also get a 750 marks package on every toon reaching T5 which is a good bonus to get to T6.

Still its all of this it times number of toons and I have so hoped we would have left that nonsense behind us.

Only partial good news are from tribble that we get the rather cool Pahvo ground map from last feature TFO as regular map soon. I guess together with SB1 and perhaps Binary Stars it will have to do. In any case we should put those 3 in our regular sets the next couple of weeks. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options

Only partial good news are from tribble that we get the rather cool Pahvo ground map from last feature TFO as regular map soon. I guess together with SB1 and perhaps Binary Stars it will have to do. In any case we should put those 3 in our regular sets the next couple of weeks. :)

Sure.. at least the Ground Map should probably be fun. I just hope it has an Elite Version. :smile:
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    As of today Discontinuing reputation system.
    Already discontinued Endeavor system due to foundry announcement this month,
    hrm, I wonder if this is an indicator of the games future.
    Grind for marks, grind for xp, x 11 toons = months of work and 0 fun.
    If I were working full time which eventually I need to, I wouldnt be able to do it at all 2 days played a week, etc. yeah NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Would rather play for fun instead of GRIND GRIND GRIND!

Current state of res needed:
    EC - 9,000,000 for 12 reps to complete to t6
    xp - 1,200,000 for 12 reps to complete to t6
    marks - 18360 for 12 reps to complete to t6

Now figure 1 day to run one tfo for each mark - 12 plus days to get 1600 per rep,
    Now figure 11 toons better than 6 months? too much time to invest for all toons to do this much in reputation.
    while your only doing tfo for reputation your having no fun grinding marks every day just for reputation.

This is providing you dont work for a living and you can give tfos 6 hours a day.
    now factor 50 days daily 30 min to setup and execute per day 12 reps x 11 toons
    Having done it already on 6 toons, I can assure you it is exausting to do this every day for 50 days.

Due to the amount of work it takes to get plus 11 characters to tier 6 I have an idea.
    One character does the reputation and gives the others sponsorship tokens to go to tier 6 without the grind of 50 days of rep assignments plus the weeks of grind for all the marks and xp and ec needed to accomplish said task x 11 characters.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Cool. New stuff to do. Haters gonna hate.

Hope they don't put it in the spoilmarks right away, though.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    On the bright side. It's another "set and forget". So you can at least do it, while you're doing something other than playing the game. Which is how I play the game. Log in, set daily doff/adm and reps(if I need to, assuming I bother with alts), do your endeavors, go hang out with the RPers to see what's going on, log out and go do something more entertaining.

With this, I just add in a TFO for the marks, when I need them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

lol.. yeah dude.. adding those marks to the rep project daily is great content! :lol:
  • Options

lol.. yeah dude.. adding those marks to the rep project daily is great content! :lol:
    I could explain to you reason to play, but since you don't want one there's no need.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

I could explain to you reason to play, but since you don't want one there's no need.

You don't seem to get that we play the stuff anyway. We just hoped to skip the couple of hundreds of sliders to pull as they surely pose no reason to play. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options

You don't seem to get that we play the stuff anyway. We just hoped to skip the couple of hundreds of sliders to pull as they surely pose no reason to play. ;)
    Then skip them.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I wonder what the items will be, since they put Discovery themed ships, weapons and uniforms in lockboxes/purchases already pig-17.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    valoreah wrote: »
    Yay, another reputation grind. So that's 40 days to get the rep to T5 and another 30 to get it to T6?

You don't need to do it.

Then skip them.

Character progression is the core concept of a mmorpg which players naturally follow. Pointing out how annoying some concepts in this game are when it comes to its implementation does not require nonsensical explanation on how to evade it. ;)

There is no reason in the world why one can’t progress in a mmorpg while having fun doing so aside from lazy development and rep #13 is just that no matter how you approach it. It stinks to heavens especialy after the rather cool concept of endeavors.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    Yay, another reputation grind. So that's 40 days to get the rep to T5 and another 30 to get it to T6?

You don't need to do it.

Then skip them.

Character progression is the core concept of a mmorpg which players naturally follow. Pointing out how annoying some concepts in this game are when it comes to its implementation does not require nonsensical explanation on how to evade it. ;)

There is no reason in the world why one can’t progress in a mmorpg while having fun doing so aside from lazy development and rep #13 is just that no matter how you approach it. It stinks to heavens especialy after the rather cool concept of endeavors.
    Just because you think reputations are "annoying" doesn't mean others don't like them.

Now, I have to admit on the rewards endos are def better since perks are non-rivalrous, but doing content X to level XP all the same. Stuff to do is always better than no stuff to do in my book.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Reputation systems are entirely optional and not required for character progression.
    Then, what is required for character progression? How does your character "progress" in STO?

What character progression IS mandatory in STO? What is a player required to "do" to complete more difficult/challenging content? What systems in game give a player reliable feedback regarding where they stand in terms of "progression" if systems are redundant/optional/unnecessary?

What content IS difficult/challenging? What motivation does a player have to engage in more challenging content?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Character progression is the core concept of a mmorpg which players naturally follow.

Reputation systems are entirely optional and not required for character progression.

That depends on what you define as 'character progression.'

Most people that put any effort at all into any type of ship building in this game realize that Cryptic loves to shift the meta on a fairly regular basis. I don't have a problem with that, I actually kinda like it.. but a big part of keeping up with it.. or for lack of a better word 'progressing'.. means having access to what you need to adapt. Much of what you need usually comes from Reputations now days.

Do I have to do it? Of course not.. I have to eat.. I have to breathe and drink water. But as stated before, character progression is the very definition of 'playing' in a game like this.. so saying that running on these treadmills isn't 'required' is highly debatable.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Here's an idea, once any one of your Characters on an Account completes T6 in ANY Reputation, ALL existing and future Reputations are automatically considered Sponsored.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I don't mind new reputations. They usually mean new queues, some new gear, some new costumes possibly. Sure, you need to do stuff to get them, but the way I see it - if the "stuff" stops being fun, the game stopped being fun, and it's time to move on.

I still think making Tier 6 Reputations take basically as long as getting to Tier 5 was dumb, though.

And it would really be nice if "Age of Discovery" wasn't just related to Discovery content, but also the act of discovery, or the action of discovering.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Was going to say "Oh, good. Something to raise birds for this summer", but then I remembered they don't add the marks right away. So....

Oh, good. Something to raise Epohhs for this winter. ;)
  • Options

Most people that put any effort at all into any type of ship building in this game realize that Cryptic loves to shift the meta on a fairly regular basis. I don't have a problem with that, I actually kinda like it.. but a big part of keeping up with it.. or for lack of a better word 'progressing'.. means having access to what you need to adapt. Much of what you need usually comes from Reputations now days.

Do I have to do it? Of course not.. I have to eat.. I have to breathe and drink water. But as stated before, character progression is the very definition of 'playing' in a game like this.. so saying that running on these treadmills isn't 'required' is highly debatable.

Keeping up with the current meta in STO is self-inflicted. I have alts that have never completed a single rep system, never completed any DOFFing or Admiralty and they still do just fine in advanced TFOs and the like. Some of them have not even picked a Spec tree. There is no required raid gear treadmill in STO. You can run advanced queues with rep gear or non-rep gear and still complete them.

Individual completism for needing to have the latest and greatest shiny is self inflicted.

Sorry, but all I hear in this is 'how you play is wrong, how I play is right.'

Just because you don't find something necessary, doesn't mean that others don't. I have already conceded the fact that nothing in this game absolutely has to be done. It's not even about that.. it's about Cryptic's new trend of just adding the same re-hashed stuff over and over again and labeling it as 'content.'

If I just skipped all the copy/pasted, rehashed, repetitive junk in this game.. then I might as well just uninstall it. Telling someone 'you don't have to do it' is not a valid argument in favor of lazy and unimaginative content.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They never added Gamma Marks to any TFO or other content until the day that Discovery released. Then it got added everywhere that gives Choice Marks. Here's hoping that it will be retrofitted into existing Discovery TFOs right away as a minimum and all appropriate Marks Choice places rightaway.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    I get that they are trying to get existing players to come back, or stay in the game, and what is why they keep adding these reps into the game. But one of the things they are doing at the same time is making it hard for new players to complete all of the reps.

When I left 4 years ago, there were only 6. In 4 years, they added another 6 rep systems. On top of that, they added Tier 6 to all of them, just to increase how long it takes to complete the rep, so players are in the game longer. And now a 13th one is being added. I really feel sorry for new players wanting to get into this game.

This is one of the very few MMOs that I have played, that has such an uphill climb for new players. And if they want to try multiple characters...good luck with that.

I was also hoping that with the endeavor system, they would see that this kind of thing is not needed. But I guess it isn't keeping existing players in the game as long each week as the rep systems do.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options

Keeping up with the current meta in STO is self-inflicted. I have alts that have never completed a single rep system, never completed any DOFFing or Admiralty and they still do just fine in advanced TFOs and the like. Some of them have not even picked a Spec tree. There is no required raid gear treadmill in STO. You can run advanced queues with rep gear or non-rep gear and still complete them.

Individual completism for needing to have the latest and greatest shiny is self inflicted.

Sorry, but all I hear in this is 'how you play is wrong, how I play is right.'

Just because you don't find something necessary, doesn't mean that others don't. I have already conceded the fact that nothing in this game absolutely has to be done. It's not even about that.. it's about Cryptic's new trend of just adding the same re-hashed stuff over and over again and labeling it as 'content.'

If I just skipped all the copy/pasted, rehashed, repetitive junk in this game.. then I might as well just uninstall it. Telling someone 'you don't have to do it' is not a valid argument in favor of lazy and unimaginative content.
    The point is you choose how you want to play. You can do all the "copy/pasted, rehashed, repetitive junk" or not, it's your choice.

Arguing that content shouldn't exist for anyone because you don't want to play it yourself, is what sounds like 'how you play is wrong, how I play is right.'
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    They never added Gamma Marks to any TFO or other content until the day that Discovery released. Then it got added everywhere that gives Choice Marks. Here's hoping that it will be retrofitted into existing Discovery TFOs right away as a minimum and all appropriate Marks Choice places rightaway.
    I'm betting that Discovery themed featured TFO will count. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    Another reputation seemed inevitable. While I'm not looking forward to the ridiculous amount of time I'm going to spend click, click, clicking, what really bothers me is:

- Why wasn't this featured prominently on the roadmap? What good is a roadmap that doesn't include significant landmarks?

- It would have been nice to be able to earn the marks during the recent events. We just finished 2 3-week events (both of which were Disco-related content) where we were rewarded marks of choice in addition to vouchers. I ran both events A LOT - at least 200 times in total (based on the number of vouchers I have). I converted the extra marks for unrefined dil ore in most cases, but don't really need that either since I have ~1-3 million unrefined on each alt. Not including marks for the new reputation, especially in those Disco-oriented queues, seems to be a calculated decision that is not player friendly.

As a few folks have pointed out, participating in the events and completing (or not) the reputations are all up to the individual to do as they please. It's all up to the player to choose how they want to play, what to prioritize doing, and how best to maximize enjoyment of the game.

However, the operative word there is "choice." How can we make informed decisions about how to spend our time when we don't have key pieces of information?
This discussion has been closed.