test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you miss the most from the 8 years of Star Trek Online

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    For people that miss Exploration, we got it in the 'Future Proof' Episode 'Sunrise'.

I have one Character that grabbed all the deleted Episodes and they are still in the Mission Log.

The problem is T6 Fleet Holdings would require 750,000 Points and the weight of a Neutron Star in Dilitium.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    w00qw00q Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Exploration. Star Trek is more exploration, and less about fighting.
    STO implies Star Trek is 100% fighting, now that the Exploration part has been taken away!
    Exploration.
    ...They did not have to remove an entire feature. And I am still annoyed that they implied that they would replace it with a more solid exploration system...
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I still love playing this game :)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    it's going to be new khitomer...for one thing, it's in the gamma quadrant - for another, it's their wall against unauthorized temporal incursions...(Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I kinda miss patrols... or rather I miss a reason to do them. Up the rewards for doing em or something.
    And when are we getting the new system for exploration?

Maybe they shouldn't bring back that bit of randomness for actual gear, but for cosmetic effects or things like vanity pets it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Players have proven that space barbie is more important to them than one might think. So the willingness to go for it and accept that bit of randomness, exists.
    Nah, I mainly did the STFs for the cosmetics so I could play "Space Barbie", the gear was only a bonus for me.
    Overall I prefer the new system that rewards the time you put into it, so you can actually put up a goal. And not the randomness that didn't reward effort or time, since you could be the worst player and get each thing you wanted on the very first runs, while people that does all the work could run all the time and never see a single wanted thing drop.

"Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I miss the old missions that have been deleted. I get they weren't up to par for the new graphics or whatever reason they gave, but put them in the holodeck so we can still play them. Some of the Klingon ones were good. Or State of Q. etc. In that vain, I also miss the old mission journal that you know....worked. Task Force Omega as a place to go is also missed. And the switch to the new TFO sucked as I miss farming a lot of those missions single player. Esp Starbase 24. That was an easy one to solo and usually in two runs you could finish the ship mastery on a new ship. I own a LOT of ships that I buy just for the mastery, not the ship, and its a pain to run TFO's for days now....so I don't anymore. Sad.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I miss the day to night cycles on Bajor and Risa. Used to hang out in both those places. It was a really unique atmosphere and gave the game a dynamic environment.

Hourlies were great. Queue stats on people waiting was nice. Used to be able to play Miner Instability elite on a daily basis. After they changed that, I’m lucky to see it pop once a week.

Fewer choices in the game. Too bad.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I miss...
    1. it being subscription based
    2. the C-store being for 'cosmetic items only'
    3. not knowing what a lockbox is
    4. Cryptic actually caring about things that didn't immediate translate to money
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I miss the dailies. They were fun. If you got bored doing missions, or grinding out another rep system, you could take a brake and do something different each hour with others.

My favorite from the dailies was the old Mirror Universe event. That was so much fun, and enjoyable (unless some clown aggro'd everything and lead it to the spawn point). That mirror event required working together to take out the ships, unless someone was OP enough to take on a whole side by themselves. The new one is all about DPS. Just go in and DPS the ships, and do what you need to. No one really needs to word as a team. Just do your own thing.

I also miss the old ESD. I wish that there was a place where we could go visit it that wasn't tied to a mission. I'm not even sure if they have that 1 mission in the game anymore. But I used to love running around there, and playing hide and seek with fleet mates.

I also miss proc rates on energy weapons. (R.I.P.) Might have been a bug, but at least they actually did something.

I miss the damage MK XII weapons used to do before they nerfed them to introduce the upgrade system.

I miss the Advance Fleet weapons being good, without needing to spend tons more resources to upgrade them.

I miss only having at max 6 rep systems. There are too many.

I miss my friends that used to play.

I missed not caring to make one of my 14 characters a main, because I played on all of them the same. (Upgrade system killed that for me).

There are a lot of other things I miss about the game. But, these are some of the things I miss the most.

Razar.

*Edited by myself to remove comment not needed.*
    Post edited by razar2380 on
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    razar2380 wrote: »
    I also miss the old ESD. I wish that there was a place where we could go visit it that wasn't tied to a mission. I'm not even sure if they have that 1 mission in the game anymore. But I used to love running around there, and playing hide and seek with fleet mates.

I'd assume they could easily (?) make a new social zone out there somewhere as Starbase __ and just plunk that map out there. Assuming Kael didn't accidentally delete a critical file somehow. . .

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,346 Community Moderator
    Ok, let's not turn this thread into another bashing on the devs.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I would second bringing back the old ESD. Even as a social zone. The exploration thing is also something that was fun to do, I think fixing them would have been better than scrapping them.
  • Options
    ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I miss the time when PVP was accessible to almost everybody. You could do it even with Mk XII blue with a T4 ship, you needed team coordination but it was possible to win, time to time, without spending a ton of money on your build.
    I miss the N'vak zone, I loved to grind drops there, now on Kerrat it's impossible.
    I miss (kinda joking) the random reward from the STF and the time were me or other friends were forgetting to grab the reward!
    I miss the drain build and the pet used for that specific build, I still have them but I even forgot their name. I remember I was using them on my sci on Hive Space Elite (the old Elite version) against the borg diamond.
    I miss a time where also the other careers were important, when in an ISA you could had an impact by attracting the aggro and heal you team mates.
    I miss the old DS9, the new one is claustrophobic, confused with a a lot of closed space difficult to reach.
    I miss the tour of duty... it was a way to quickly gain dilithium by doing 3 foundry, although many people were using 3 quick
    (one click) foundry to get the reward!
    I miss the borg space encounter in Gamma Orionis sector block, truth to be said, sometimes there were not so many borg to slaughter.
    I miss some people (not all of them) that played with me at the beginning, they were very helpful and supporting, they teach me a lot about this game.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    I miss...
    1. Cryptic actually caring about things that didn't immediate translate to money
    ^^^
    That's NEVER been the case with Cryptic in ANY of their MMOs going all the way back to "City of Heroes".
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I miss...
    1. Cryptic actually caring about things that didn't immediate translate to money
    ^^^
    That's NEVER been the case with Cryptic in ANY of their MMOs going all the way back to "City of Heroes".

THAT'S what I miss: City of Heroes.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    For people that miss Exploration, we got it in the 'Future Proof' Episode 'Sunrise'.

Yeah, one mission worth of it.

It was brought in with the big thrust of the promotion being "WE'RE GOING BACK TO EXPLORING!!!!". That got shitcanned pretty much right off the bat.

An "exploration" arc, it most definitely wasn't.

So what do I miss? Yes, the exploration arc.
    I also miss Joshua Riker's fists of fury. Not to mention the old ESD layout (which, while uglier, was MUCH easier to navigate/give directions on and far more performance friendly than the current shopping mall). The old hourly events have a soft spot in my heart, as well as the old school red alerts (pre queue integration).

Oh, and the ability to make private solo/part-manned instances of PVE queues, both old and new.
    No really, the old Gekli herding Fludidic space queue was a blast.

Lastly, oddly enough, I miss the old sector space maps. The walls themselves weren't welcome, but they felt...populated. There were little things & NPCs to find that roamed the blocks, trade ships you could come across to buy & sell from.
    You not only had smaller sector blocks, but higher population caps too. These days, sector space just feels like a ghost town.

I need a beer.

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Except we spend the entire arc exploring time, from the past to the future.

No. We spent the rest of the arc running around here there & everywhere putting out fires and fighting huge battles in the time line. That isn't exploration.
    Then, in the very next arc, we spend basically the entire arc exploring the unexplored deep reaches of the Alpha Quadrant as we track the Tzenkethi's crusade, encountering several new civilizations, and even helping two of them reconcile.

No. We went around fighting more fires, stopping invasions and responding to threats. That isn't exploration.
    Exploration =/= a lack of combat or a lack of a greater threat scenario.

I didn't say it was. In fact, there was quite a lot of combat in the old exploration clusters. A surprising amount, in fact.

The problem is, the game has fallen for the old trope we have seen in fiction for the last few decades. That there must always be a crisis and that each crisis must make all the previous crises seem insignificant. That all of these crises must have far reaching repercussions and this all comes to the cost of small stories.

What I miss, is not the lack of combat. What I miss, is the feeling of doing things which are small on the grand scale of things. That's what the exploration chains were, they were areas where you did things which weren't "OMFG OMEGA-MEGA-HYPER-SUPERDUPER-GALAXY-ENDING-CRISIS!!!!".
    I need a beer.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Except we spend the entire arc exploring time, from the past to the future.

Then, in the very next arc, we spend basically the entire arc exploring the unexplored deep reaches of the Alpha Quadrant as we track the Tzenkethi's crusade, encountering several new civilizations, and even helping two of them reconcile.

Exploration =/= a lack of combat or a lack of a greater threat scenario. Even in the Trek shows/movies, 90% of the time when the encountered some new civilization they had to slap each other a few times before the episode ended.

Counterpoint: we don't explore sh*t. We go where we're told, when we're told, and do what we're told. that's your "exploring time". notably, in the Tzenkethi arc, the only "new" civilization we actually explore is a couple of trips to Lukari space, plus a dead planet where we explore exactly ONE temple complex. it's materially indistinguishable from "Go here, go there, do this, do that" we've already done. There's nothing to 'discover' because it's all laid out, in a railroad style, there are no hidden bits to find, not even 'easter eggs' or concealed gems, it's step-by-step-by-step. IF this were hunting, the prey would be in a cage to shoot. there aren't even hidden bits of side-quest, or cleverly concealed extras to find, everything is clearly marked and skylit with a bright ping on your map. You do more 'exploring' in the Delta quadrant patrols or Tau Dewa patrol series, than you do in all of the two storylines you cite. Instead, it's explicitly 'go here, shoot that, go there, shoot that, click 'F' in this spot to continue."

to Explore there has to be something to discover that isn't already brightly marked and loudly announced, something actually hidden, some reason not to click through the dialog boxes as fast as you can and spam spacebar.

hell, for that matter, we do more 'exploring' in that Temporal Ambassador mission, than we do in either the time-travel, OR the Tzenkethi missions-because you can actually MISS the room with the wisest tribble.

Exploration is not being led by the nose, som, it's poking around in caves and seeing what's in the dark. this was the main failing of Exploration Clusters, and it's the same failing with the bulk of the storyline missions-you're led by the nose from objective to objective, there's nothing to find.
    The "exploration clusters" were every bit as much being led by the nose, too.

Indeed some accolades are the only things this game has ever had that involved actual exploration.
This discussion has been closed.