test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which zen ship should he buy?

misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
edited September 2018 in The Shipyard
My brother is going to buy a T6 ship tomorrow and he gave me a list of 4 ships he's thinking about buying, though he'll only pick one. Here's the list of ships he gave me:

Operations command battlecruiser - concorde class
Science command battlecruiser - Geneva class
Tactical command battlecruiser - presidio class
Temporal dreadnought cruiser - chronos class

Right now he said he'll probably get the Temporal dreadnought cruiser as it looks like the best option to him. I was hoping some of you guys could give suggestions on what he should get, whether it's a ship on this list or something not listed here. He doesn't care about abilities/consoles or much else really, he just wants a ship with high hull and that can use dual cannons. He also doesn't care much for science ships and the ship he buys has to be with zen as he has like 500k in energy credits so it can't come from the exchange and he has practically no fleet credits so no fleet ship either. He is also a lvl 65 Federation engineer with no starship mastery, he's been using the free T5 heavy cruiser ship that you get from a ship token.

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    The T6 Arbiter Battlecruiser can mount dual cannons, and has a decent punch. Might be a bit lower on the hull than a Command Battlecruiser, but has higher mobility.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Arbiter_Battlecruiser

There is also the Eclipse Intel Cruiser. Also a bit lower on the hull, but high mobility, built in cloak, and Intel shenanigans.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Eclipse_Intel_Cruiser

Might be worth exploring.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    From your list, definitely the Chronos. While Command Bcruisers are not horrible, they are still pain to be made to work well enough, especially with dual cannons.

However, from the list of all possible choices, yes, definitely agree with
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The T6 Arbiter Battlecruiser can mount dual cannons, and has a decent punch. Might be a bit lower on the hull than a Command Battlecruiser, but has higher mobility.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Arbiter_Battlecruiser

It's really one of those rare cases where the ship itself, the trait and the console are all absolutely amazing. You said he doesn't care about additional features much - trust me, after unlocking Arbiter's trait, he will. :) And as soon as T6 reps hit, he'll be able to get a free Fleet Ship Module soon enough to grab Fleet version of the Arbiter.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Sadly, going on the information given, I don't know if he will be interested in the Arbiter because he won't be able to acquire the fleet version. He could still fly the standard version of course, and it's still a fantastic ship, he'll just be down a little hull and one console slot.

Given that his priorities are Hull strength and the ability to mount Dual Cannons, I am going to differ from my norm and say the Chronos is probably the best fit for him given the conditions listed. At 9.5, the turn rate is acceptable especially if he's going to run Scatter Volley since that will up his firing arc to 90'. The ship has a really strong hull and is fleet level from the C-Store.

Given that the parameters are high hull, Dual Cannons, and Fleet Level from the C-Store, I think the Chronos is really the best option. If however, he was willing to join a fleet and acquire a Fleet Module, the Fleet Arbiter is a superior choice.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Sadly, going on the information given, I don't know if he will be interested in the Arbiter because he won't be able to acquire the fleet version. He could still fly the standard version of course, and it's still a fantastic ship, he'll just be down a little hull and one console slot.

Given that his priorities are Hull strength and the ability to mount Dual Cannons, I am going to differ from my norm and say the Chronos is probably the best fit for him given the conditions listed. At 9.5, the turn rate is acceptable especially if he's going to run Scatter Volley since that will up his firing arc to 90'. The ship has a really strong hull and is fleet level from the C-Store.

Given that the parameters are high hull, Dual Cannons, and Fleet Level from the C-Store, I think the Chronos is really the best option. If however, he was willing to join a fleet and acquire a Fleet Module, the Fleet Arbiter is a superior choice.

I would suspect the player in question is pretty new. Seems like it will be his first non-freebie ship, thus he hasn't quite understood the importance of ship traits yet (cause he just haven't had any chance to try them out, other than probably Specialization ones, most of which are pretty meh, especially compared to EWC). Give him a chance to fly *with* EWC however, and I'm sure he can immediately understand the draw.
    Chronos is absolutely amazing ship and would be a good choice, for sure. But even with more hull, +1 console and +0.5 turn rate over the Arbiter, it hasn't got 5 fore weapon slots, nor has it got as comfortable BOFF layout. And we'll be getting free Fleet Ship Modules from T6 reps soon. And as said before, Arbiter has definitely stronger trait, considering the build objective of said person.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

I would suspect the player in question is pretty new. Seems like it will be his first non-freebie ship, thus he hasn't quite understood the importance of ship traits yet (cause he just haven't had any chance to try them out, other than probably Specialization ones, most of which are pretty meh, especially compared to EWC). Give him a chance to fly *with* EWC however, and I'm sure he can immediately understand the draw.
    Chronos is absolutely amazing ship and would be a good choice, for sure. But even with more hull, +1 console and +0.5 turn rate over the Arbiter, it hasn't got 5 fore weapon slots, nor has it got as comfortable BOFF layout. And we'll be getting free Fleet Ship Modules from T6 reps soon. And as said before, Arbiter has definitely stronger trait, considering the build objective of said person.

Completely true.

He should definitely go with the Arbiter. Hopefully, there is a little flexibility in his criteria because that really would be the best bet for him. The Base T6 will be more then adequate to hold him until the T6 reputations drop and he can get the free fleet module.

I would only say Chronos if the listed choices are hard set and nothing else will be considered.

The Arbiter/Morrigu/Kurak is always the first ship I recommend to new players. It can do any energy weapon build, great trait, great console, highly durable.. it's pretty close to the perfect ship. It can't be beat for a 1st purchase.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Out of the listed ships I’d say Chronod because it’s cross faction.
    Or Geneva because it has the best starship trait from the 4 listed.

But I do t know if either fits his playstyle so hard to say for sure.

The Arbiter is pretty sound advice though as the trait is excellent by all accounts (do t own it personally) and it’s a very powerful ship. It would be a good intro into cruiser combat but still packs a good wallop in terms of firepower.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    My choice for my first ship would be the arbiter too, mainly because of the shiptrait and that the ship is decent ;)

from that ship list to fly:
    chronos, but actually you want the full 3 piece console ship for that ship (from the eternal and raider too) so yea ;)
  • Options
    danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Going to have to agree with everyone here... Arbiter is pretty much exactly the ship he is looking for.
  • Options
    You might be confusing dual cannons for dual beams. It doesn't say the Miracle Worker ships can mount dual cannons. And I don't think they have the turn rate to really support them either.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Thank you everyone for your advice, I told my brother that the arbiter was probably better than the chronos, but he bought the chronos anyway. He said the deciding factor was because the chronos has a hangar bay and the arbiter doesn't.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Fleet Eclipse is a good choice, the base version is excellent.
    I recommend the Cardassian bundle, three excellent ships, consoles and traits and a free Galor at T5
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
      Thank you everyone for your advice, I told my brother that the arbiter was probably better than the chronos, but he bought the chronos anyway. He said the deciding factor was because the chronos has a hangar bay and the arbiter doesn't.

Chronos is an easy ship to make 50k dps with its temporal Colander seat. I think your brother made a wise choice for what was offered.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
      edited September 2018
      pryor#5476 wrote: »
      The Fed Tac Miracle Worker lists the same specs other than the cloak, it should use dual heavys just the same.

Worthless and inaccurate advice as always. The Federation Miracle Worker ship CANNOT USE DUAL CANNONS.

All Fed Ships are restricted from using Dual Cannons unless it specifically says otherwise. This does not apply to Warbirds or Klingon Ships.

I normally prefer to be nice but enough is enough.

You need to stop.. you give the worst advice on this forum and you're completely clueless. All you do is confuse every thread you post in.. stop it. Stop it now!

If your intent is to help then do the most helpful thing you can do and just be quiet.
    • Options
      casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
      Your brother is Federation, right?
      You can't really have dual cannons and very high hull... Unless you get a Intel Dreadnought Cruiser (Vengeance class) or as a lower hull, but really heavy-punching Arbiter (Also comes with the best trait for DPS with cannons/beams).

I'd vote for the arbiter.
    • Options
      echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
      The Chronos is a very good ship. One of mine flies it, not with cannons, but it's still very deadly with its beam/torp loadout. Still, though, the bundle would have been a better option, as stated before. The three console set is great.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
      Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
      I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    • Options
      charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
      As With everyone else the Chronos is one hell of a ship and if that is all he can choose from, should fly that one since it'll prob give him the best overall experience for what he is looking for. However i'd like to say that the Arbiter is probably the #1 long-term investment he or anyone can really make, closely followed by the Presidio Class due to their Traits, they are pretty much the best you can have in 90% of all possible builds.
    • Options
      pryor#5476 wrote: »
      Nope...... NO!
      I CAN LOAD DUAL CANNONS, DUAL HEAVEYS on my Miracle Worker KDF Tac ship on ALL forward weapons, but only 1 Wide Arc Dual Heavy.

There's your problem. You're comparing a KDF Battlecruiser to a Fed Cruiser. Of course the KDF one can mount Dual cannons, because that one is classified as a Battlecruiser. Whereas the Fed one is not. That would be like saying the Andromeda should be able to mount Dual Cannons because the Negh'Tev can.