test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Excelsior class

seaquest42seaquest42 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
Since the Enterprise A and Miranda class, got an updated correct Atzetc hull map, shouldn't the Excelisor class get an update Atzetc hull map as well? The current one looks really outdated since beta.
I am me, always will be.

Comments

• Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I'd prefer they updated the Centaur and ShiKahr before other ships, bring them up to the same level as the ship they share customization with.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    I'd prefer they updated the Centaur and ShiKahr before other ships, bring them up to the same level as the ship they share customization with.

There's no precedent for updating the STO original customization variants of a ship that receives a visual update (see. Galaxy, Sovereign, Constitution, Voyager, Akira, Defiant.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The fact that they've ignored the problem of mixing the old and outdated with the new stuff previously doesn't make it any less of a problem now.

Also, the other ships don't have a canon ship as one of the alternate skins that got ignored.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    The fact that they've ignored the problem of mixing the old and outdated with the new stuff previously doesn't make it any less of a problem now.

It does. The proportional impact of these older designs is lessened with every new T6 ship skin. They matter less and less as time goes on, even though the old art is still available for those inclined to use it (there is zero obligation to update these ships.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

It does. The proportional impact of these older designs is lessened with every new T6 ship skin. They matter less and less as time goes on, even though the old art is still available for those inclined to use it (there is zero obligation to update these ships.)

Not really, it just says they don't consider their own stuff to be worth the effort of updating. Just making something new and shiny to distract people from the outdated TRIBBLE is just hiding the problem and trying to pretend it doesn't exist.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the C (Ambassador) the only Enterprise not to get a T6 version of its class?
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    Not wrong, but not relevant either.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    If any Cryptic design should get a high quality revamp, it's the absolutely beautiful Excalibur class, best design they've ever come up with:

97UNo71.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    t7e6ix.jpg
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    t7e6ix.jpg

Many of us like it, that's why. :p
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I agree that Excelsior needs the art pass. And with the advent of 3D printing your STO starship, the out-of-date assets have become much more obvious.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The Excelsior is my favorite TMP-timeline cruiser design besides for the Constellation.
  • Options
    jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    The Excelsior didnt even get an art pass when it got T6 unlike all the other heros ships. Im in favor of an art pass for the Ent B, as well as the Guardian getting the Ambassador class parts. Personally I think its time we got an HD option for all our ships and their hull materials. The breen shield hull material looks like its about 10 pixels wide.

Update everything then in the graphics tab give us an SD/HD ship option. Same with ship textures. Those of us who have the pc's to run it can, those who dont wont be affected. Same with on the ground. We are 8 years into the game even WoW did a graphics over haul, time for STO's I think. A lot of our uniforms just dont look nearly as good, and our characters hair is in bad need of an upgrade.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I would rather if the Ambassador had its own T6 instead, the console slot setup for the Fleet Ambassador and Fleet Guardian are inconsistent as it is.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    t7e6ix.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMrzdKzQTf8
    avoozuul wrote: »
    The Excelsior is my favorite TMP-timeline cruiser design besides for the Constellation.

The Excelsior like the Miranda are two original ship designs from when Trek was still new and young that were included in Starfleet, since up to that point only constitution class ships were only ever seen. so the chance to see the excelsior upgraded in appearance to something that actually looks like the excelsior? that would be grand.

Not really a good way to honor the series by neglecting two important ship classes that have been the backbone of starfleet a lot longer than that piece of junk constitution class or any ship to come after it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I think all the ships that get a T6 version should get updated models and skins for low tier versions. Some of us still love the original classics, it’s why I fly my Miranda in the original design with canon appropriate material.

The Excelsior, Constellation and Oberth are all TMP era ships seen onscreen and deserve some high quality models/skins at least.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    As explained a bunch of times, the visual updates comes by the hand of Tomas Marrone, except the Sovereign, that was remodel by other great artist, but his name escapes me right now. All this remodels are made on his spare time, and he said that he would love to take a look of that ship if he has more spare time (we know now that he doesn't have too much spare time, with ViL and all)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Get George Takei and do a 3 part story arch that features excelsior, and gives us the rest of the undiscovered country goodies such as security uniforms the big red maroon admiral costume as well as kirks admiral get up from search for spock and voyage home.

Give us T6 Oberth, T6 Ambassador & T6 Constellation all with a 23rd century movie era bridge for purchase as well as fleet variants.

This arch could be called "legacy".
    We get to find out what happened to excelsior and see political intrigue between romulan and klingons. Perhaps this can tie in to a Daniels mission.

This is the kind of story we lovers of the first 6 movies have wanted and it gives us a reason for updated skins and interiors for excelsior and the other movie era ships.
  • Options
    gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    Get George Takei and do a 3 part story arch that features excelsior, and gives us the rest of the undiscovered country goodies such as security uniforms the big red maroon admiral costume as well as kirks admiral get up from search for spock and voyage home.

Give us T6 Oberth, T6 Ambassador & T6 Constellation all with a 23rd century movie era bridge for purchase as well as fleet variants.

We get to find out what happened to excelsior and see political intrigue between romulan and klingons. Perhaps this can tie in to a Daniels mission.

This is the kind of story we lovers of the first 6 movies have wanted and it gives us a reason for updated skins and interiors for excelsior and the other movie era ships.

Not a bad idea
  • Options
    ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    For some reason people seem to not like the aesthetics of the Excelsior class.
    I remember not being a fan of it myself. However it grew on me and today I consider her actually quite beautiful and a classic.
    Maybe it got something to do with how she was introduced. When she appears in the movies she was made out to make the Constitution class obsolete which didn’t sit well with Scotty. She was some sort of adversary, a symbol that the time of the original crew was coming to an end.

In hindsight she did make the Constitution class obsolete as far as the lore goes. I guess the real reason is that producers wanted to the Enterprise to be special and stand out therefore limit the times any sister ship was on display.
    They had that beautiful movie model of the Excelsior lying around so why not use it, same goes for the Miranda.
    One of the reasons we don’t see many Ambassadors around is apparently that the model got destroyed in a fire and ILM never got around making a CGI model of it.
    In the end it was therefore cheaper and faster to fall back to an Excelsior instead.

I think with the right amount of detail and some proper texture job the Excelsior can look pretty good.
    One of the reasons she looks “wrong” in the game are probably the windows. The windows are too big and there is this unnecessary “belt” window row below the neck which just looks wrong.
    The model itself needs some more polygons around the deflector dish and on the saucer to make her appear more “round” and some additional details at the impulse engines (e.g. missing wings) and aft weapon bay.
    Most importantly would be a nice paint job, especiallly that nice gold/blue aztec pattern around the brigde, and correct window sizes and placement.
    I certainly would appreciate a rework.

Anyway:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96392&d=1334401353
    attachment.php?s=ee04d556a4e0902a4df77d296c4cb7f2&attachmentid=96393&d=1334401353

Love her.

• Options
    kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Not going to lie, a ton of textures/models in game need massive updating.

There are quite a few of Cryptic's original launch ships that always looked like TRIBBLE, and mostly due to textures, Let alone just horrid modeling. And nothing can fix some of those without a full blown redo of some. I mean I still cringe at the Envoy Class Exploration Cruiser flying around ESD for it's stupid layout of the saucer more than the lower half of the ship. Or the Celestial Class needing an update. The other variants of the MVAE, or the Assault cruisers, Star Cruisers (what is their T6 version?) , and other Fed ships. Both the Klingon Carriers and Kar'Fi (and maybe a T6 update for both), the K'tinga/D-7 (seriously where is my Undiscovered Country/DS9 Model?), some of the Klingon Raptors all need model updates. Generally the Gorn, Nausicaan, and to an extent the Orion ships are okay, maybe just need higher poly count models. For the most part Romulans got it good.

Also the obscene inability of someone to have a design language for the placement and of lifeboats(and their weird scaling of different sizes on the ship in places...) and windows on ships in general....let alone them not being separate layers for me to pick which ones I want to pair. Or the fact ships missing energy beam bank/arrays on them, and the lack of any on aft parts of ships or placements that make sense...you get the point.

The same goes for some ground assets (the chunky default alien consoles are overused for everything), including character/NPC textures for clothes some are just horrid up close. Some parts of models of original stuff are missing a part/texture and stuff, one example is some object in corner next to the ramp on the Ferengi Vlugta Asteroid Field ship, you can jump into it, which shows up in other maps.

Basically all newer content/models/whatnot make all the older missions/models look almost like a different game system/upgraded system (like the newer stuff is a sequel from basically Delta Rising onward). I really think they could have done a per-patch replacement of some models/textures over time (like literally 1-3 models/textures), vs trying to do massive ones. And they could have did all the simple ones easy and done, save the Ships and Character/NPC stuff for bigger things.

But that also comes down to manpower, and if you don't have that, then ....eh?
  • Options
    pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User

I want this. Would purchase. All of it.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Just scrap it.

Hideous ship. Worst design in a hundred years of science fiction.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Just scrap it.

She's a good ship, nothing wrong with her.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Just scrap it.

Hideous ship. Worst design in a hundred years of science fiction.

She's a good ship, nothing wrong with her.

Disgusting bloated, malformed, accordion necked, overbalanced, and a revolting bastardisation of all that is good and right in the world.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
      Just scrap it.

Nope, but the Discovery on the other hand is the worst design ever.

• Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
      I actually like the design of Discovery. Now... the earlier, teaser design they had... THAT looked horrible. And the concept art they drew from was pretty bad. But the final product actually makes the design look good.

It went from this old concept art from around the time of TMP (And yes... your eyes do not decieve you, that WAS to be the Enterprise)
      18lsjl7zu3nqljpg.jpg

To this unholy hybrid of a D7 and Fed ship...
      fe995fefc7d69a9211d7142e22426cd7.jpg

To this... actually good looking design
      bd9092d92a736b6c2129f0a25197c79d840eb196.jpg

The design evolved over time, and actually combines some elements from what came before. Not only that... when compared to the Connie we saw at the end of season 1, Discovery's actually not that big. She's comparable in mass to the Enterprise. The only thing that makes her BIGGER is the length of her warp nacelles.

And just about every ship has her good angles and bad angles. There are angles of the Excelsior that make her look bloated.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
      I disagree entirely, it looks like a pizza cutter and its nacelles are way too long. It looks like a triangle stuck together with a circle.