test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleets

Comments

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    I agree with the OP to a point because there are far too many fleets out there that are simply out to **** you out of YOUR resources without giving you a damn thing. early on i got recriuted into a fleet and then was told I had to provide 10K d a DAY to stay in the fleet. I couldn't find the eject button fast enough. joined a second fleet because i wanted a fleet variant ship. when i inquired hot to go about it I was told you have to do X, Y, Z hen we will THINK about letting start earing toward the ship...
    I won't ever join a fleet again.

just sayin' that for every idiot fleet out there, there is at least 1 that has a get whatever you want policy. I honestly don't understand why there are even fleets out there that are so restrictive with their provisions.
    As an example, those provisions for the fleet ships aren't even hard to come by. One fleet ship provions project is filed quite easily and rewards like 10 provisions (10 fleet ships).
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    ...One fleet ship provions project is filed quite easily and rewards like 10 provisions (10 fleet ships).

Not quite accurate. It will only be one module per ship IF the player already owns the C-Store version of that ship. Without that it can range from 4-5 FSM per fleet ship.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    at some point you have to aknowledge that this is an MMO, and not a single player game. You can't "demand" the developers to cater to a specific need of a few players that goes contrary to their own concept and vision of what the game is supposed to be.

If anything, this game is too much single player for an MMO.

Nevertheless, the option to make your own fleet is available, though a little bit of a hassle. If a person is determened enough to NOT interact too much with other people in an MMO and still play most of the content, STO is probably the best MMO out there to acomplish that. SPecifically when it comes to fleets, you don't even need one for the gear. All you need is the provisions in your fleet and an invite to a high level fleet via the NoP channel.

Isseu is most fleet wont let you buy gear at all till you do there work theme and they do nothing but gloat over it so what you said is mute for some fleets.

Then you, my friend, are in the wrong Fleet. :)

The big problem here is your mindset toward fleet contribution. You're thinking of it as giving your resources just to advance while the hierarchy of the fleet laughs and enjoys the spoils. If anyone is in a fleet that works that way, they should just leave. It's supposed to be a group of players working together toward a goal. Fleet development is about people working together and advancing the fleet. The gear is a reward for successfully achieving that goal.

All you are asking for is to have access to the rewards without having to put in any of the work. Fleets can be a really good thing, and can help improve your game experience if you just give it a shot.

I don't mind helping but helping and then having no access to anything for your effort isn't fun either and I have seen many fleets like that than good ones. But allowing a single player to have access to creating a fleet with player and then recruiting from there if they want should be an option also. If the player wants to do it alone let theme isn't goin to harm anything if they wish to group and do it then no problem. All I am saying is both options should be there not just the one way and that is it no other ways or options.

You can thank all those fleet bank thieves for that. You know, the ones who join actual fleets, "raid the fridge" and leave immediately like the little cowards they are.

All fleets I'm in allow access to items after 1 promotion I.E. 100K fleet credit earned. Ain't that hard to earn 100K, especially considering how little effort it takes to earn that many marks or whatever.

Also maybe its just me, but 1 man fleet? That doesn't make any bloody sense. The very term is a hint that you aren't supposed to run it by yourself. I've brought a new KDF fleet to Tier 1 across the board by myself, most boring thing I've ever done.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    at some point you have to aknowledge that this is an MMO, and not a single player game. You can't "demand" the developers to cater to a specific need of a few players that goes contrary to their own concept and vision of what the game is supposed to be.

This is completely true. This is after all a "social" game and nobody is forcing anyone to join a fleet. Do like most and just skip that content if you don't like it? Why force the extreme minority view on the rest of us? There are always teh traditional PC games if one likes single player stuff.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Or just get 4 people to team with you, found a fleet and let them all go away, Viola, a one person fleet.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Man, some of these horror stories really make me appreciate the fleet I'm in.

We don't have any of this psycho drama, it's just a group of players having fun without any stress.

It's a shame that some of the horrible fleets out there have scared some people off from the experience. If you can get in a good fleet, it definitely makes the game more enjoyable.

If any of you that were scared off are looking for something drama free.. just let me know. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    It's much harder to find 4 others now then it used to be. When Starbases were started i created a 1 man fleet. 4 others helped me for 1 million ec each(lots of EC back then - about a key) I then proceeded to solo level a base to T3 - what a waste of time and energy. After that I opened it up to several others and we leveled it to T4 and the mine and embassy. All have since left and I am solo again. Just not doing anything with it. Have not visited any holding in months. Really if you want some help, hit up the nop channel or esd and offer an EC incentive to help you create your fleet - then kick them - volia - solo fleet.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Yeah but at the same time forcing the minority to be social isn't right either that argument can go both ways for both sides. Is it a MMO yeah but I shouldn't be forced no more than MMO die hard's be forced to play only one way. All I am saying ti should be an option for those that want to play that way.

Of course you are welcome to join Omega Combat Division, the fleet @seaofsorrows and I are in. All holdings are maxed.

Access to fleet stores will be locked free for you indefinitely just after a few days. There are no contribution requirements or whatsoever. You also get access to our global PvE game chat. It’s entirely up to you if you want to socialize and team-up there with the others or rather play the game all by yourself. We have no rules of any kind except perhaps to be polite when interacting.

I’ll be happy to have you in fleet and thank Sea for offering it to you. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User

Nevertheless, the option to make your own fleet is available, though a little bit of a hassle. If a person is determened enough to NOT interact too much with other people in an MMO and still play most of the content, STO is probably the best MMO out there to acomplish that. SPecifically when it comes to fleets, you don't even need one for the gear. All you need is the provisions in your fleet and an invite to a high level fleet via the NoP channel.

Isseu is most fleet wont let you buy gear at all till you do there work theme and they do nothing but gloat over it so what you said is mute for some fleets.

The big problem here is your mindset toward fleet contribution. You're thinking of it as giving your resources just to advance while the hierarchy of the fleet laughs and enjoys the spoils. If anyone is in a fleet that works that way, they should just leave. It's supposed to be a group of players working together toward a goal. Fleet development is about people working together and advancing the fleet. The gear is a reward for successfully achieving that goal.

All you are asking for is to have access to the rewards without having to put in any of the work. Fleets can be a really good thing, and can help improve your game experience if you just give it a shot.
    ^^^^^^This...

I don't mind helping but helping and then having no access to anything for your effort isn't fun either and I have seen many fleets like that than good ones. But allowing a single player to have access to creating a fleet with player and then recruiting from there if they want should be an option also. If the player wants to do it alone let theme isn't goin to harm anything if they wish to group and do it then no problem. All I am saying is both options should be there not just the one way and that is it no other ways or options.
    Like sea said, if that's what you've found, then you've joined the wrong fleet(s)

If you join a fleet and they don't have the resources you want, then you can either help contribute to build them up (if reasonable needs) or, you can leave and join another fleet.

If you take the advice above, of getting a group of people to sign up with you so you can create your own fleet, which they will then leave, you're only going to have a basic foundation, no decent resources. And as you've already said you don't like grinding, you sure aren't going to want to grind out the resources to build a fleet up to having all the cool stuff by yourself ;)

There's plenty of good fleets out there, and I've been fortunate to be invited into an amazing one. They let me use all their facilities, with no greater interraction required, than donating resources :sunglasses:

It really sounds like you've simply been unfortunate with the fleet(s) you've run into thus far... Chin up :sunglasses:

"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    edited September 2017

This is completely true. This is after all a "social" game and nobody is forcing anyone to join a fleet. Do like most and just skip that content if you don't like it? Why force the extreme minority view on the rest of us? There are always teh traditional PC games if one likes single player stuff.​​

Yeah but at the same time forcing the minority to be social isn't right either that argument can go both ways for both sides. Is it a MMO yeah but I shouldn't be forced no more than MMO die hard's be forced to play only one way. All I am saying ti should be an option for those that want to play that way.

No, sorry, you are wrong. This argument can't go both ways, since the game is an MMO first with the option to do single player in certain situations. A FLEET is by its very definition not a solo endeavour. So the argument for a "solo fleet" (which is a paradox, fyi) is completely contrary to the idea of a "fleet".
    and YOU ARE NOT FORCED to do fleet related content! Not even if you want to have fleet stuff, fyi!
    And there is even an option, for those who have no business with other people, to create a fleet...you just need 5 accounts, in a F2P game!
    in other words, what you want already exists, even though it makes exactly zero sense to even have that option in a MMORPG.
    This request of yours, is basically like asking the devs to give the 5 man missions also a solo option with the same rewards...completely eradicating the MMO part in an MMO. in other words, pure nonsense.

also, on the issue of fleet bank thieves: There are extensive checks and balances to avoid 90% of the cases I have read about in this forum in the last couple of years. Except for a rare few cases, where fleet leaders were TRIBBLE or bailed on their fleets, most of these theft cases were due to sloppy management. Also, why even put most valuable things into the fleet bank? No real reason for that anyway. On top of that, they are not as common as they are made out to be in this thread.

The notion that "you can thank the ..." is utter BS in this regard, since unnecessarely restricting access to fleet provisions is purely narcissistic powerplay on behalf of some idiots, that are given minescule power over others in a computer game. Stanford prison experiment comes to mind and not the result or hardly ever occuring thefts due to sloppy management of fleets.
    Fact is, by now, fleets are literally DROWNING in provisions of all kinds. Just take the fleet shipyard as an example. By the time the fleet reaches tier 5, for the actual good ships, there are literally provisions from the missions in the hundrets.

Having restrictive rules or even participation quotas for access to fleet provisions is a sure indicator to get the hell out of that fleet ASAP. As others have said, there are just too many "normal" fleets out there who ask for only little or nothing for full access to the fleet provisions, because these provisions have no real value to the fleet. If somebody actually tried to empty out those provisions, he would need a near endless supply of Dil. and fleet credits, for which he needs to grind anyway.
    Post edited by baudl on
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    ...One fleet ship provions project is filed quite easily and rewards like 10 provisions (10 fleet ships).

Not quite accurate. It will only be one module per ship IF the player already owns the C-Store version of that ship. Without that it can range from 4-5 FSM per fleet ship.​​

fleet ship provisions are not fleet ship modules...one is provided by the fleet and isn't even an inventory item, the other is purchaseable in the z-store or the exchange.
    There was however an inaccuracy...the project for fleet ship provisions provides 15 instead of 10 provisions.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options

No, sorry, you are wrong. This argument can't go both ways, since the game is an MMO first with the option to do single player in certain situations. A FLEET is by its very definition not a solo endeavour. So the argument for a "solo fleet" (which is a paradox, fyi) is completely contrary to the idea of a "fleet".
    and YOU ARE NOT FORCED to do fleet related content! Not even if you want to have fleet stuff, fyi!
    And there is even an option, for those who have no business with other people, to create a fleet...you just need 5 accounts, in a F2P game!
    in other words, what you want already exists, even though it makes exactly zero sense to even have that option in a MMORPG.
    This request of yours, is basically like asking the devs to give the 5 man missions also a solo option with the same rewards...completely eradicating the MMO part in an MMO. in other words, pure nonsense.

also, on the issue of fleet bank thieves: There are extensive checks and balances to avoid 90% of the cases I have read about in this forum in the last couple of years. Except for a rare few cases, where fleet leaders were **** or bailed on their fleets, most of these theft cases were due to sloppy management. Also, why even put most valuable things into the fleet bank? No real reason for that anyway. On top of that, they are not as common as they are made out to be in this thread.

The notion that "you can thank the ..." is utter BS in this regard, since unnecessarely restricting access to fleet provisions is purely narcissistic powerplay on behalf of some idiots, that are given minescule power over others in a computer game. Stanford prison experiment comes to mind and not the result or hardly ever occuring thefts due to sloppy management of fleets.
    Fact is, by now, fleets are literally DROWNING in provisions of all kinds. Just take the fleet shipyard as an example. By the time the fleet reaches tier 5, for the actual good ships, there are literally provisions from the missions in the hundrets.

Having restrictive rules or even participation quotas for access to fleet provisions is a sure indicator to get the hell out of that fleet ASAP. As others have said, there are just too many "normal" fleets out there who ask for only little or nothing for full access to the fleet provisions, because these provisions have no real value to the fleet. If somebody actually tried to empty out those provisions, he would need a near endless supply of Dil. and fleet credits, for which he needs to grind anyway.
    Don't the five 'people' need to be at the same place at the same time to activate/create a new fleet? :confused:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Don't the five 'people' need to be at the same place at the same time to activate/create a new fleet? :confused:

yep, but having 5 clients running at the same time shouldn't be that much of a hazzle these days. I'd imagine that researching the means to do that and creating 5 accounts takes less time than spamming zone chat for 4 people to help you. After all, solo fleeters want the FULL solo experience in an MMO, am I right?
    Go pro or go home
  • Options

yep, but having 5 clients running at the same time shouldn't be that much of a hazzle these days. I'd imagine that researching the means to do that and creating 5 accounts takes less time than spamming zone chat for 4 people to help you. After all, solo fleeters want the FULL solo experience in an MMO, am I right?
    I would have thought running five accounts at the same time, would require five computers, so the player could directly interact with them at the appropriate times :D Then again, I know next to nothing about computers other than pushing the on switch, and yanking the power cord out when it doesn't respect mah authoritah :D

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yes, you should be able to start a fleet with just one player...as long as it came with a disclaimer you had to accept, saying the fleet holdings are designed for large groups and you're not allowed to complain it's "too expensive" to do it alone.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yes, you should be able to start a fleet with just one player...as long as it came with a disclaimer you had to accept, saying the fleet holdings are designed for large groups and you're not allowed to complain it's "too expensive" to do it alone.
    Do you realize how many storage fleets this would produce? :)

---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    Yes, you should be able to start a fleet with just one player...

why? what would be the reasoning for it? "player demand" certainly isn't one, since you can have a solo fleet anyway already.
    it definately goes against the MMO aspect of this MMORPG. the question is: "does a (build in) solo fleet feature make any sense in an MMORPG?" if your answer to that is "yes" you are besically asking for a single player Star Trek themed RPG...that is in fact a nice idea for a game, but it ain't what STO is, or is supposed to be.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    All I ever see when I log into the 5 fleets i'm in, 2 feds and 3 KDF is an empty roster, not just for my Fleets but the Armada as well. But OP if you want a harder task ? try to get 5 Players together to form a private match for PvE.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Although it gets a bit choppy, I have had three instances of STO running on my laptop at the same time farming Omegas on mine, my sons and my wifes account. Doing absolutely nothing but standing still in ESD to start a Fleet with five instances running should be doable for just about any computer capable of playing the game at all.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I disagree with you OP, but only because Cryptic took a standard MMO feature, player run guilds, and turned it into a massive time-gated grind.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    arionisa wrote: »
    Although it gets a bit choppy, I have had three instances of STO running on my laptop at the same time farming Omegas on mine, my sons and my wifes account. Doing absolutely nothing but standing still in ESD to start a Fleet with five instances running should be doable for just about any computer capable of playing the game at all.
    :open_mouth::open_mouth:

As in like having various tabs open in a browser, and each one simply being logged onto the different accounts?? I'm going to have to try this out with my dilithium miners and wifey's account... Direct trades will be much easier than mailing stuff across five items at a time :D:D

• Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I don't think it can be done if you launch using Arc or Steam but it's easy launching stand alone. Just launch, log into one account, then minimize, launch again, log into next account, repeat. Then you can alt-tab between them.

When I did it farming Omegas it was .......fun. By the time I had the third instance running flying to the Omegas was so choppy/laggy it wasn't funny. Although it was neat seeing all our ships parked in formation at the same location. I didn't even try actually doing the Omega mini game with the lag, just alt-tab between the three, collect the minimum reward and start the next one. My son has since started playing on XBox when he plays at all and my wife just plain quit playing. I don't think anyone has logged into either of those accounts in about a year. Hmmm, I might need to go in and send myself any Omegas they still have since I doubt if they'll ever use them.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    As many as people want.

why? what would be the reasoning for it? "player demand" certainly isn't one, since you can have a solo fleet anyway already.
    it definately goes against the MMO aspect of this MMORPG. the question is: "does a (build in) solo fleet feature make any sense in an MMORPG?" if your answer to that is "yes" you are besically asking for a single player Star Trek themed RPG...that is in fact a nice idea for a game, but it ain't what STO is, or is supposed to be.
    Why not? What purpose does it serve to require players to jump through hoops to create a fleet?
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User

I would have thought running five accounts at the same time, would require five computers, so the player could directly interact with them at the appropriate times :D Then again, I know next to nothing about computers other than pushing the on switch, and yanking the power cord out when it doesn't respect mah authoritah :D

[/quote]

I had a run in with a super bad fleet that demanded resources but only the fleet owner could get any gear from. Next fleet was so full I could not earn fleet credits on any projects.

So I made a few free accounts on old ESD. Had four of them follow me to the fleet registrar. And made a fleet for myself. Dumped all but one alt account. That account exists solely to invite my alts into my Fed fleet. It can be slow levelling the fleet as I am unfocused on the specific tasks or get distracted by new shiney things. But it is certainly doable. My only slow down is earning the often thousands of Fleet Marks needed for the upgrades.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    As many as people want.

Why not? What purpose does it serve to require players to jump through hoops to create a fleet?

Because this is an MMORPG, that is supposed to be enjoyed and played with other people? And a fleet is by its very definition an effort of many people coming together to do something a single person can't do or isn't suppoed to do? And giving an easy option to create a "fleet" (not really a fleet then) would completely contradict the very idea of an MMORPG?
    I mean it really can't be too hard to comprehend that if you give single player options for EVERYTHING in the game, the game is no longer an MMORPG.
    Asking for a single player fleet option in STO is like asking for a trailer hook on your lamborghini. You can probably have one, but you are not at all supposed to tow something with it.

just sayin though, you answered my question with a question (to avoid to give a comprehensive reason for your opinion, I assume) that was already answered in the other 2 sentences I wrote below my question.
    Go pro or go home