test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lowest Dil/Zen rate in years - Did you Buy any Zen during Pheonix Event ?

taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
Just curious if anybody on here took the opportunity to pick up some cheap Zen during The Phoenix Pack Event ?

Snapped up 5k worth myself @273 D to Z.
[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

Comments

• Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Yup, I put all my fleet projects on hold and bought in at 271. I add more zen as I earn more dili. But then I have pretty much everything I need. It would be nice to have the older breen ships since this is the first year I seriously am playing for one, but I can live without them more than I can live without future dili. I want that tier 3 k-13 holding...
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yep.

10,000 Zen on my primary account @ 271:1. Gonna use it to buy back refined Dil when the exchange rate goes back up. Hopefully my "profit" will cover the Dil I burnt to buy Phoenix Packs.

About 450 Zen on my secondary free2play only account @ 271:1. That wiped out the meager refined Dil on that account.
  • Options
    farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    I bought in at 305. I missed out on a few thousand zen.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    Annoyingly I dumped a ton of dilithium into Zen a couple of days before the announcement. And yes, I do feel stupid.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Lowest in "Years" ? Hardly - maybe the lowest within the last 6 months or so.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Yep, if the rate rises back to 400 in a few weeks I'll sell for enough extra dil to cover a tier upgrade for K-13. If not, I'll have a bunch of cheap zen. It's a win either way.
  • Options
    ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    Many years ago zen was sold for 80 dil each, no one at that time complained on the price, why bother now?

and one year ago the price was exactly as is now.
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    I was too busy attacking the Phonics Boxes. The Phonics Upgrade Kits were more valuable to me than even Zen.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    I bought a lot of dil after the boxes were announced but before they were available. At over 400:1. I used a bit on boxes and then bought zen with the rest 270:1. I used a small portion of the zen and will flip back when the current promo pushes the price back up.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yep, picked up 8k Zen when it very briefly dropped to 270.

I don't even have anything in the store that I want, I just figured it was a good time to pick up some Zen.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I bought about 10 Phoenix boxes so I could get a red matter capacitor for my romulan character and then I converted the rest of my dilithium to buy approximately 2000 zen at around 270. I'm pretty happy with that as I'm fairly certain it will eventually return to 400ish. Was a nice sink though...and the first one to work. Those bs million dilithium uniforms did squat.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    I only bought a little. A few master keys to sell. But it was very nice at the lower price.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Many years ago zen was sold for 80 dil each, no one at that time complained on the price, why bother now?

I was not around in those days but I am going to take a guess it was ALOT harder to get dil back then. Right?
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    walligig wrote: »

I was not around in those days but I am going to take a guess it was ALOT harder to get dil back then. Right?

nope, foundrys... investigate officer reports... no cd... and many others stuffs...
    old days... news days... no difference... I'm done here.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

Oh, plenty of people complained about the price - but it was the opposite direction. Zen sellers (buy zen, exchange for Dil) were always going on about how the economy was going in the toilet ever since the exchange had dropped below 300, and that the game was obviously Doomed™. :)

---

I got a few hundred zen, couldn't go much for much more since I was short on Dil after spending some on Phoenix boxes and not having really stocked back up since the last summer sale & Black Friday c-store purchases.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    walligig wrote: »

It was actually kinda easy if you knew what to do. On top of that, the vast majority (if not all) of Fleets were still working to complete fleet projects and there were a lot of projects to work on. That meant there was a pretty big demand for Dil in Fleets. Once fleets were close to completing all the available projects, the demand for Dil fell and the Dil to Zen exchange rate began to climb.

I stared playing STO back in January 2014 and the lowest I ever recall seeing the exchange rate was 117:1. I started out as a free2play player and I was looking around for ways to earn Dil when I understood the significance of it (which did not take very long). My primary sources were:

#1 - Turn in Contraband for 2,000 Dil - This mission originally had a 4 hour cooldown. As of July 2016 the mission now has a 20 hour cooldown. I used to queue up this mission in the morning before going to work and in the evening after getting home from work and before going to bed. That's an easy 6,000 Dil within a 24 hour period as long as I had enough Contraband, which I did.

#2 - There used to be a repeatable mission (every 30 minutes) called Investigate Officer Reports it was removed earlier this year because Cryptic decided it was an exploit... which it was. Basically you would accept this mission and then do a Foundry mission (unofficial community created missions). When you complete the Foundry mission, you turn in Investigate Officer Reports to get 960 Dil... and this can be repeated every 30 minutes. Originally the reward was 1,440 Dil but that was reduced to 960 Dil back in December 2012 over a year before I started playing.

#3 - Foundry Missions - These reward you with Dil. The amount Dil rewarded depended on the mission you decide to play. I think it depended on the average amount of time it took players to complete the mission and how long it actually takes you to do the mission. I think the minimum reward is 480 Dil, while the maximum is 3,000 Dil. Actually many Foundry missions did not reward Dil, these are the "Farming Missions" such as parking your ship in one spot to kill ships that would appear in front of you (usually with shields down). These are not story driven mission, thus they offer no Dil reward. The Spotlight Foundry missions are the ones that could reward up to 3,000 Dil. These are high quality story driven missions that have received a lot of praise so they have been upgraded from a standard Foundry Mission to a Spotlight Foundry Mission.

Completing #2 and #3 can basically net me 4K Dil (rounded up). Plus doing #1 three times a day meant I was able to pull in 10k per day, per captain without much effort. The Spotlight Foundry Missions typically takes between 25 to 40 minutes to complete depending on which one I want to play... and I play the one where I can get 3,000 Dil (by trying out different missions). And #2 and #3 are repeatable.

This excludes doing any of the STF reputation missions which basically rewarded 720 Dil back then.

It was not unusual for me to pull in 10k Dil - 12k Dil per captain on a weekday. On a weekend / holiday I was probably able to get up to 18k Dil per day if I had the time to devote to the game, but I usually went out. I don't pull in that much Dil per captain anymore since I now have more than double the number captains and I am not as focused on obtaining as much Dil as possible.

Nevertheless, being able to do the Contraband mission every 4 hours instead of every 20 hours made obtaining Dil extremely easy. The 960 Dil reward for doing the Investigate Officer Reports with only a 30 minute cooldown also made it pretty easy to collect Dil. Doing two of these missions and two Spotlight Foundry Missions would have netted 8k Dil (rounded up) in about 60 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the Spotlight Foundry Missions I select.

To me, getting Dil now takes longer than it did in the past and Fleets are no longer devouring as much Dil as they have done in the past because nearly all of them have completed the vast majority of available fleet projects.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    When I played most intensely the price was in the 130s for a very long time. It rose slightly but fluctuated after DR. In march and april it took off and rose quickly and steadily until the phoenix pack. Still it has not been below 200 since early april of 2015.

To answer the question posed here - yes - i traded about 12,000 - a lot at 272. It was a dream come true for me. And there is nothing I plan to buy. Just wanted to get a little value from all those years of accumulating. Also bought about 200 boxes. Still have 11 million refined. Feel very good about the phoenix. Well done and thank you.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The last time Zen was at 271 was in fact january 2016, so not quite years.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Sure did, but also wasted a bunch converting early to cover the costs of that must-have science xfaction pack.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    [quote="nikephorus;13123412"]I bought Was a nice sink though...and the first one to work. Those bs million dilithium uniforms did squat. [/quote]

Once again, per the devs those costumes were never intended as a sink. There are a small number of players with enough dil to disrupt the exchange. The costumes were made to see if these few players were willing to spend some of their horde. The rest of us were just incidental.

Direct link to Borticus here:
    https://m.reddit.com/r/STO/comments/5fqp8j/pheonix_prize_pack/damcngv?compact=true
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    i really should have, but as i blew most of my dil stockpile for black friday...yeah, i had barely any left​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    It's back over 300 already. So let's just say it:

BRING BACK THE PHOENIX BOXES QUICKLY!

See, I am truly begging and using the correct name instead of my parody name of Phonics Boxes.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I picked up 4,000 Zen over three Characters, mostly at 275. Waiting for it to go back up in the 400s to sell back.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Yeah that Black Friday sale took a good chunk of my refined as well.

And you're right, it really hasn't been that long since we've seen these prices, has it ? Guess I've gotten used to seeing it hover around 400, that 250d/z Sure feels like a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I started in 2012 Jan. Didn't use the d/z exchange until LoR was about to be released. So I've not had my eye on it as much as others over the years.
    I don't normally speculate with the markets. But this felt like a sure thing.

Wonder what else they could do to keep it sub 400.
    I would imagine everyone will go back to building up their refined stockpiles as we were doing before.. I don't think it'll be long until we're back to where we were. Hopefully K-13 upgrading may help a little in slowing down the rise in price.

Maybe they'll think of other concepts for Dil Boxes, and we'll see a couple different iterations. They have a lot of potential.
    They could literally add anything they wanted to them... so they have options.

Would like to see the Phoenix Event run twice a year, winter and summer events.
    Only thing, they will have to keep adding new items to it to keep it interesting and fresh. Otherwise those of us who bought everything in this edition will not feel the need to invest as heavily in them next time around (if they ever come back).

I guess that's one good thing about the UR/Epics being hard to get. People still need their event ships.
    So those who missed events will always have a good reason to buy them.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    They wont let it stay low, easier for people to get Zen let chance they will pay real money for it, and to the person that said 6 months ago it was this cheap, way wrong, get your facts straight.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Nearly 15 thousand - as it happens, I'd sold my stash back around the end of the crystalline event (should have predicted the Black Friday spike, I'd have gotten more), so when the exchange dropped to 270... boom, several thousand Zen for free. :grin:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg